Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy (2017)

Ryannumber1gamer

6 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Neither of those are for games, they're for merchandising. which is great! Seems like Activision will give the franchise an honest to god try.

Oh! Admittedly, I rushed through the article, so I didn't catch that part, my bad lol.

Still, that's great! Nice to know that Activision has enough confidence in the Crash series, that they're willing to make merchandise for it. Hopefully, the remasters and merchandise will be successful.

Oh man, if that means more Crash figures based on the classic games, all my yes. Can't wait for the Remake reveal at PS Experience.

As mentioned in a status update, Sony also teased again in one of its trailers (called "The King") by having an Aku Aku mask hanged on a wall.

You can see it in the brief scene at the 6th-7th seconds.

• Thumbs Up 2

If it means more merchandise of my older reptile faves, I'm all for merchandising Crash. I know they've had merchandise in the past, but the Resaurus figures now are on par with the Sonic the FIghters Espio plush in terms of rarity, with 1000% more likelihood to break. 

The trademarks cover any conceivable thing because they know they intend to make merchandise. This way, these marks can be used to produce any merchandise they want without needing to file new ones again. If someone in marketing says "Oh, Crash Toilet Paper" then they can just do it without needing to get a new mark approved. It means that they're gonna promote the living crap out of these remakes. 

You don't just bring back a dormant IP with three remakes if you catch my drift. And actually I want Crash brand toilet paper. 

With the PS Experience each day closer and the most inevitable reveal of the game, I find myself cautiously anxious... Well, why?

Because we still don't have any idea of how this game gonna look, play or sound like. Or almost no idea.

So far, we've seen what the game might looks like from its Skylander's level pack. Nothing solid, but a hint at least, since it was made by Vicarious Visions. We've also seen two different Crash designs, the one used in the Skylander's game (closer to the original concept arts from 1995) and another one used in the Netflix show (closer to HD version of Twinsanity).

Obviously the controls in Skylander's do not represent how the game will play, since well, it is the Skylander's game, not the Crash game.

As for the sound, we know for a while that Josh Mancel, the original composer for Crash 1 to CTR, won't be returning, eventhough he wanted to. With that, we still don't know if the game will feature remixes, new songs or maybe both. Activision holds the rights of the musics, so there's no reason to compose a brand new soundtrack, especially because it is just too iconic to the replaced. Imagine playing Hog Wild without this music.

What is really concerning is the fact that they made a mistery out of a game that's hopefully a year or so in development and didn't showed a grain of it, not even a screenshot, a logo or the official name... it's just too weird to me. Suspicious actually.

Finally, there's the whole remastered or remake thing. Let's go with the facts, because this is the confusing part:

Facts show that Crash Bandicoot is a game too ingeniusly coded, that trying to recreate it would be not only difficult, but stupidity. Well, why? Because that type of coding (GOOL) was needed back then. It was a trick to make the game look nice and play at a solid framerate on the PS1. But I guess the PS4 can run Crash just fine, right? Joking aside, yes, the Uncharted 4 level was recreated from scratch, they said it themselves. So you see there's no reason to think Crash will only work if coded with GOOL or by Andy Gavin or by Naughty Dog. If so, it would just a simple emulation, the ones we already have on PSN.

But who wants that??? Eight years for ports? No thank you, Activision, I rather punch myself in the nuts than letting you do it for me...
What really makes a game a remaster or a remake? Let's look at a few examples:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg2900709-heyoggg-700x394.jpgthe-last-of-us-ps4.jpg

These 3 recent games are all considered REMASTERS. The word "remastered" is even in the game's title: God of War III: Remastered. What makes a game a remaster? Basically, you pick the game and port it to a more powerful system. With the extra power, also comes extra pixels, extra speed, extra memory. That way the developers can achieve higher frame rates, wider resolutions and general image enhancement (make things look sharper, cleaner). But it's still the same exactly game in spirit.

But can Crash® in fact be remastered? It can, one-third. You can do it yourself actually. The ePSXe emulator features a lot of image enhancement plugins, anti-aliasing filters and so on. I've played Crash on this emulator with all these plugins on, and the game looks freaking great. But the game still runs at 30FPS and at 4:3 resolution (you can force 16:9, but the image is simply stretched, since the extra pixels do not exist). So is not technically a remaster, that's why I said "one third", only one of the elements that make a remaster a remaster is present. Releasing something like this on a next-gen console and calling it a day is balls. To Crash to be fully remastered it would be needed to create and add these extra pixels, otherwise it would be just a fake widescreen. But as explained earlier, why would they do it, if dealing with the original code is nearly impossible?

That's why most people, myself included, are thinking it's a remake. A remake is much more complex than a remaster. While a remaster is the same game, but better, a remake is actually a brand new game, made from zero and without any old assets. Normally, a remake is game based on a game. Some devs try to recreate most of the original's experience, while others try to deliver a new one, changing the story and/or gameplay to higher degrees. There are all kinds of remakes:

ss_fcc2c1f8c3763e4195f46226ebde0b92bfcae12160534520527.jpgnewntasty_april14_08.jpgDuckTales-Remastered-Xbox-360-3.jpg

All these games above look, sound and play different from their original versions. If it's better or worse, that depends on you (and the devs of course). But they're still Double Dragon, Ratchet and Clank, Oddworld and Duck Tales.

Remember when I said that the remaster or remake part gets confusing? It's because Shawn actually said a paradox during E3: "Fully remastered from the ground-up". If it's a remaster, it's not from the ground-up. If it's from the ground-up, it's a new game, in that case a remake. But why he said the word remastered? Maybe he just got confused... maybe not. We really don't know. And to add to it, Duck Tales actually has the word "Remastered" in the title, while it's clearly a remake. Go figure.

Like a bunch of you, my expectations are sky high, it would take just a little push to disappoint me. That's because we know it's coming for real this time. If the game have had been shown back in June, it would've been easier to deal. I take Sonic Mania as an example. Even with all the teases, we still didn't had an official confirmation that a game existed. Truly everything was revealed. But that gap Vicarious Visions left didn't made any good. I'm here everyday hoping and imagining how far these remakes will go. Will they change the gameplay too much? Will the cut or add levels? Will the story be as close to the original as possible, with only a few tweeks here and there, or a totaly new thing?

Seriously, I'm probably as anxious as some of you guys who live in the States the day before the elections. I won't be able to handle if it's not exactly what I've been hoping for so long... God help us all.

• Thumbs Up 1

The hype is real.

Really hope Twinsanity get's some love in the future as well, considering the sheer amount of scrapped content it had... but this will suffice for now. : 3

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

PLOT TWIST: Eric Rogers (Showrunner/Writer) has confirmed in an interview with GameSpot that he voices Crash Bandicoot in Skylanders Academy!

Some parts from the interview:

I'm not sure if I have this right, but are you the one who voices him--what was that like?

Busted! I haven't divulged this info anywhere yet because, well, I didn't know if I could! But I guess the proverbial bandicoot is out of the bag now.

It was great fun voicing such an iconic character, but I never set out to be the one to play the role. My role as showrunner was always to write the best possible version of the character, along with my co-writer on that script, Brittany Flores. When it came time to record, I voiced Crash with a scratch track, thinking nothing further of the process. A short time after, my creative partners asked me to voice the role full-stop. I tried to talk them out of it! But it was very flattering that they valued my performance enough to really give it a go for the two episodes Crash appears in, so I dove in head-first and didn't look back.

Is there a reason why you didn't want to play up the fact that Crash was in the show before the season premiered in October?

I didn't want to distract from the series as a whole getting the attention we all want it to receive. It was never about me playing Crash, and I didn't want any of my own horn-tooting about his appearance to distract from the buzz around the entire series. And I thought there was enough pre-release hype about Crash appearing in the show anyway, so I didn't think I needed to add anything more to that.

Also, a minor update to CrashBandicoot.com website, typing www.crashbandicoot.com now works but still nothing there just yet, just ahead of PSX tomorrow...

Our time has come, friends.

We waited long and hard for this moment.

In 2008...

We had the release of Crash Mind Over Mutant, the not so wanted sequel to Crash of the Titans. It was the last time Crash "landed" on home consoles.

Disappointing years came by. Speaking of "landing", we found out that in 2010, Crash had not one, but two cancelled games: Crash Landed and a new Crash Team Racing.

In 2012...

Sony and developer SuperBot Entertainment gave their shot at the mascot brawler genre, releasing the good-but-not-great, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Fans of the bandicoot were anxious for his return as a playable character, after all, how can you name a game "PlayStation All-Stars" and not have Crash Bandicoot on it? As it turns out, Crash never made into the game, but two versions of Cole MacGrath did.

In 2013...

Sony launched the PS4 with a promo video named "This is for the Players", which contained the first of MANY Crash Bandicoot Easter Eggs:

crash-bandicoot-easter-egg.jpg

The image became viral and quickly spread among Crash forums and the like. People were claiming that Crash had returned to SCE.

After more years and years of teasing, one final hint to rule them all.

shawn-layden-crash-shirt.jpg

PS Experience 2015. This is exactly one year ago.

And finally, this year:

Ck4E1epUYAAA32C.jpg-large.jpeg

He's back.

And he will be even more in a couple of hours.

So grab your Aku-Aku mask, because it's gonna be a wild ride:

tumblr_o5ynozXmjA1tao31jo1_500.gif

See ya at the stream!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. The originals look nicer to me.

The texture on Crash is just weird.

Yeah I'll say, Crash's fur is a bit weird, all characters' faces look a bit weird, I do hope they address that, I mean, Cortex looks like Arkham's Joker.

Also the physics seem a tad off from what I could see from the trailer.

Other than that HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS GREAT, IT'S A DREAM COMING TRUE YOU GUYS

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Looks better than the Skylanders one imo

Oh yeah. Skylanders Crash looks like a mascot costume.

I think the textures look a bit off as well. Not bad, but I think it looks a little washed out. Hopefully, it'll look a bit better later on. A option to put on the original visuals would be nice as well, but I'm not expecting that.

Either way, it looks great. Can't wait for this to come out.

Looks good to me. Hype increases!

crash bandicoot

I didn't see any new routes in the footage. So I guess the routes and pathways will be exactly the same as the original versions.

Looking forward to seeing footage of Crash 2&3.

Also for those worried about the faces and physics, one small thing: Notice how they only showed a few Crash 1 stages. It really seems like they're in early development at the moment.

The cutscene animations are pretty much flawless, so I'm sure the final product will look just as good in-game.