Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy (2017)

Ryannumber1gamer

Can I just ask one thing with all this remaster/remake talk?

This may sound dumb but, have we ever had a case of a PSOne era game being remastered in 8th gen hardware? I mean, even if it's not a remake from the grounds up, wouldn't it still be a gigantic improvement anyways?

• Thumbs Up 1

In fairness, game developers are known for saying things to mean something other than what the words actually mean.  The meaning of "remastering from the ground up" could take on a number of meanings, depending on what you consider the "ground" and how high you consider "up."  So I can understand the confusion in that sense, I think.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't even really care about Crash why am I trying to explain this I'm going to bed

enjoy yall

Here's a thing to ponder: If Sony can't get Crash even as a Skylanders console exclusive, what hope do they have of getting a far more expensive remaster as an exclusive, especially with how much Activision values the IP, to the point where they couldn't get him in the mascot fighter last gen.

obligatory george of the jungle GIF

Now-Comes-The-Part-Where-We-Throw-Our-He

Probably, yeah. I'm confident that this is a full remake, and not a glorified port. Like R&C, but maybe not so much at the point of changing the story or stuff like that.

Remember Lex Lang hinted about voicing Cortex again? He's obviously doing it for these remakes. And voice acting recordings usually happens late in development, so I'm guessing this is been worked on for at least an year. The GAF insider hinted at this, exactly this -a remastered collection for the PS4- in early 2015. Not a new game, he hinted remastered versions of the original games.

Anyways, we shall wait and see. EITHER WAY I'M SO HAPPY.

15 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Can I just ask one thing with all this remaster/remake talk?

This may sound dumb but, have we ever had a case of a PSOne era game being remastered in 8th gen hardware? I mean, even if it's not a remake from the grounds up, wouldn't it still be a gigantic improvement anyways?

Does final fantasy 7 count?

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Does final fantasy 7 count?

That one was a port of the PC release from 2012 IIRC.

11 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Here's a thing to ponder: If Sony can't get Crash even as a Skylanders console exclusive, what hope do they have of getting a far more expensive remaster as an exclusive, especially with how much Activision values the IP, to the point where they couldn't get him in the mascot fighter last gen.

obligatory george of the jungle GIF

Now-Comes-The-Part-Where-We-Throw-Our-He

So was the point of this "haha Sony can't afford Crash" or...?

So I haven't played the original Crash games in forever so excuse me if I'm just an ignorant idiot, but has Crash always had this huge of a mouth?  That's honestly a huge jarring thing for me, because images like this--

27380408650_c9cb7dc80c_h.jpg

27380407420_bdb79a00d0_h.jpg

--look fine, but images like this--

27047070844_5217fcd005_h.jpg

Make it look like you're playing as some sweaty guy in a Crash Bandicoot costume, as opposed to the actual character.  If they scaled his actual face down a bit, he'd probably look a lot less uncanny to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

His entire head looks a bit bigger, yeah, either that, or it's the fact he's always grinning or with his mouth open, in the original trillogy he used to keep his mouth almost always closed.

But even then, Twinsanity and the Titans/Mutants games had him always smiling and it wan't that uncanny.

For those who really dislike Crash's design, you probably shouldn't be too worried, for now at least. Because we didn't see literally any glimpse of this remastered game whatsoever, we have no idea if this design is just a Skylanders thing.

635700124808900503-SSC-Donkey-Kong-2.jpg

I know it's different because Activision has no control over the real DK franchise, but just remember that they changed his design up quite a bit so he'd fit with the rest of the characters.

Again, you can hate it and doubt that things'll be different in the remastered games, but it's best to wait before saying anything.

I, for one, still kinda like this new crash. Looks sort of like Zembillas' original sketches mixed with Crash's CNK appearance.

It doesn't bother me at all. I think it's because this is pretty much Zembillas' design in 3D, and I love his style. Naughty Dog made the 3D model in the original trilogy thiner and less smiley, except for some of his animations.

Either way, it's closer to the original than the Titans design. Also, see CNK.

10 minutes ago, Person said:

For those who really dislike Crash's design, you probably shouldn't be too worried, for now at least. Because we didn't see literally any glimpse of this remastered game whatsoever, we have no idea if this design is just a Skylanders thing.

635700124808900503-SSC-Donkey-Kong-2.jpg

I know it's different because Activision has no control over the real DK franchise, but just remember that they changed his design up quite a bit so he'd fit with the rest of the characters.

Again, you can hate it and doubt that things'll be different in the remastered games, but it's best to wait before saying anything.

I, for one, still kinda like this new crash. Looks sort of like Zembillas' original sketches mixed with Crash's CNK appearance.

But even as modified as that is, it doesn't look uncanny or creepy.  Well, not completely.

But regardless, I agree.  I'm sure he'll look a bit different in the actual games.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Tara said:

But even as modified as that is, it doesn't look uncanny or creepy.  Well, not completely.

But regardless, I agree.  I'm sure he'll look a bit different in the actual games.

True, but I'd imagine that that also has something to do with Nintendo's protective nature of their character designs. Activision could probably do whatever they wanted with Crash, even assuming Sony or whoever mandated that they had to use the classic design.

I agree though that new Crash is a bit on the uncanny side. I think it has something to do with his giant head. Reminds me a bit of Project Spark Conker, who also had that strange blocky fur thing going on:

latest?cb=20141224181833

16 minutes ago, Person said:

True, but I'd imagine that that also has something to do with Nintendo's protective nature of their character designs. Activision could probably do whatever they wanted with Crash, even assuming Sony or whoever mandated that they had to use the classic design.

I agree though that new Crash is a bit on the uncanny side. I think it has something to do with his giant head. Reminds me a bit of Project Spark Conker, who also had that strange blocky fur thing going on:

latest?cb=20141224181833

I'm not sure what's scarier?  The texture or the fact that he's not wearing pants?

Eh, I'm just glad Crash is being brought back in general. Even if it is just remasters. Now if only his new design didn't look so creepy.

Just woke up, so if I'm understanding correctly...

Activision still owns the IP and we are getting a remake; Crash 1, 2 & 3 (but not CTR) are getting rebuilt from the ground up for PS4. He's also appearing in Skylanders.

Well that's good news then! As long as they get the physics right and the level design is similar (if not identical) to the originals, then I'm looking forward to playing a remake of Crash 1&2. Crash 3 no much because it was my least favorite of the original trilogy, but hey, maybe the PS4 version will turn out to be really good!

26 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You can almost feel when the enthusiasm from the crowd died; masterful bait.

It's almost as bad as Square's constant trolling of KH3 during their conference last year.

32 minutes ago, Tara said:

So does that mean it is just a remaster and not a full-on remake?

Seeing as how they're also doing the new Skylanders game, I'm betting that it's a total remake from the ground up. The remakes are super early I'm betting. 2-year cycle gives them plenty of time. And if Jess Harnell and Lex Lang (the latter going by his FB posts) are involved that gives more credence to FULL remakes. 

At the very least it will be 100% new graphics. Remastered sound, as well -- they'll probably get in touch with Mancell for the original music files.

You're only hurting yourselves more if you think these games are full on remakes.

The graphics are only going to be exactly like FFVII's PS4 release. FFVII PS4 also has remastered sound. So you cannot say FFVII was a port of the PS1 original. Square actually made effort on it.

"Remaking" 3 games in 2 years is a rush job. If it's just Crash 1 releasing next year then maybe that is something but...3 games bundled together. Impossible for VV who are also doing Skylanders.

6 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:
6 hours ago, Ming Ming Kanon said:
And again him saying "built from the ground up" doesn't make sense. At all. It's a remaster (which he said) and Activision press release also says remaster.Don't get confused between remaster and remake. Three of these games are planned to release next year. All 3 of them. Do you know how long it took for Ratchet and Clank for its remake to be completed?
I know what the "differences" are. One is the same game but better, the other is the same game but better except a little different maybe. I'm telling you, however, that they said that it'd be done from the ground up. They are not ports. They are saying that they are remasters built from the ground up. Ratchet and Clank, meanwhile, goes beyond that and is a full-on re-imagining of the original game. Crash isn't doing that, though. It's being "re-mastered" or "re-made." ...see how silly and vague the definition of terms is here?

But all we know is what Sony said: they are saying that they are remasters built from the ground up.

Again, take what you want from that information. I'm not really a Crash fan so I'm not trying to be optimistic or otherwise, I'm just reading this as objectively and unbiased as possible. It sounds to me like they're making Crash Bandicoot again from the ground up, because they literally said from the ground up. I'm not taking anything out of context, I'm not adding anything to it, not adding any superfluous subjective definitions of the differences between a remaster and a remake or whatever the heck you want to call it. 

I'm telling you what I see, and I see them saying "We're making the game again from scratch." 

How else would you interpret "from the ground up." 

Either way, until we see footage, we won't know to what effect that is.

tails-owell.jpg

"We're making the game from scratch?" Isn't VV doing the game, not Sony? Which makes me think even more then what he said was a mistake. Anyway, "from the ground up" can mean a lot of things. KKM pointed out Taxman's Sonic remasters which were also "from the ground up".

R&C/Insomniac didn't just remake the game, but also altered a lot of the original story. So R&C was more then just a remake. If they didn't change the story, then it's just a full on remake.

I'm 99% confident, it's not full on remakes of Crash. If it was that big of a deal, we would have seen something about it yesterday even if it's just developers coming out and talking about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Similarly to the Ratchet remake, all three original Crash titles is being remade from the ground up for PS4!

Yes! It's great to have the old Bandicoot back! I hope this means completely new games after the remakes.

54 minutes ago, Ming Ming Kanon said:

R&C/Insomniac didn't just remake the game, but also altered a lot of the original story. So R&C was more then just a remake.

So when are you going to stop bringing up bad examples to support your point then?

• Thumbs Up 2