Awoo.

Spider-Man (PS4, PS5, PC) - PC VERSION COMING AUGUST 12TH 2022 - The Amazingly Spectacular Spidey game you've been waiting for

Ryannumber1gamer

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

and the Amazing Spider-Man 1 suit is confirmed as one of the three new suits.

Not the Amazing Spider-Man 2 one? :(

Quality of the actual film aside, that's my favourite on-screen Spidey-suit.

• Fist Bump 3

Oh dear! 🤣 What happened here then?

I mean, on a technical level it’s amazing - and sure you could just say the PS4 model looked older and tired (but that was sort of the point). What I can’t understand is why did completely redesigned the entire look.

One of the best things about the game was how he looked was completely separate from the MCU films, which is good considering it is. Now he looks like an older naff knock-off lookalike of Tom Holland, much like the Avengers do in their game compared to their MCU counterparts...

Hopefully it will get rectified (however unlikely). But even if not, we have our PS4 version at least. 

Fuck no to that Peter xD

Man, he looked so great in the PS4 version, it was like Andrew's and Tobey's faces combined, but this... just looks kinda derpy. Glad they didn't changed Octavius' face. Insomniac's reason is totally bollocks, "make the model's face closer to the VA's face", OK, but why tho'? XD They could've just improved the textures and what-not, like how they did with everything else. They did with Miles. Something tells me there might've been some contractual disagreements between Insomniac/Sony and the original Peter actor... Who knows. Well, we better get used to new Peter, because this will 100% be his face for Spider 2.

Oh, but the game running at 60fps is orgasmic. That shit looks unreal. I bet they can add as many water puddles as they want this time. And TAS suit looks rad, I got give it to them. It's not my favorite, but damn it's pretty.

• Fist Bump 1

I think if we raise enough of a fuss they might start shifting back toward the old look 

Or at least I really hope so. This look doesn't suit the place Peter was at in his life at all. I actually liked the more mature face and the unkempt hair a lot.  It kinda sold how worn down he was. The new one just looks like a weird Tom Holland lookalike. He will look weird next to MJ and Black Cat

No such changes were made to other characters's faces so I'm really suspicious of their reasoning. 

• Thumbs Up 6

It's absolutely jarring when comparing both Peters. It's not an upgrade in textures, or smoothing of some lines here and there, it's a completely new face. That doesn't make any sense... It's even weird because, unless they intend to patch it, the PS4 version will still have old Peter. Sigh, I'm really not digging this new guy, he's just slightly too handsome. He now looks like an average guy from any of the dozen Netflix's teenage series / movies. That's not Peter Parker. Maybe they'll change it back, because folks on Twitter are maaaad...

I know that there may be claims to contrary, but it's eerily likely that this is yet another move to try and pander to the MCU. And you know what, I can sort of get it to a certain extent.

Yes, the MCU did make Marvel a load of money, and hell, by extension has been something of a boon to even Sony.

But by god, I'm sick of everything else Marvel feeling like it has to bow to the whims of the MCU and change itself up immensely. Cause it certainly did wonders for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite right? Oh wait....

If this were just an optional face mode change, it would be an annoying addition at worst. This decision though to make it apparently the new permanent face is not a good one to say the least.

People all over the internet are indeed comparing the new face to Tom Holland's, and I would be lying if I say it doesn't share a lot of his likeness (which ultimately made the character look younger). Not much long ago someone made a deep fake changing Peter's face in the game for Tobey's, Andrew's and Tom's, the end result showed that it's clear that Insomniac took inspiration from Tobey and Andrew (especially) for their version, but none of Tom. But now we got the exact opposite of it. 

I think it's still something commom for animation studios to incorporate some physical traces from the voice actor into the character they're voicing in movies. But in video games, that would mean a lot of characters looking like Troy Baker and Nolan North xD 

The question is, will the PS5 version of The Avengers have the MCU likeness too? Haha

And how will CD's Peter look like?!!

The game's director posted this:

Unfortunately, it seems like we're stuck with this unless a heavy back-pedal happens.

It sucks but the game is coming out in a little over a month and there was no way they were gonna revert it back after the work they put into it. Even a toggle for the old look wouldn't fix things since the new face will inevitably be used for Spider-Man 2 (and Miles, if Peter actually shows up in it). Though I would have accepted this a little easier had they changed his look for future games and left the first one alone. I don't like the idea of the original actor being stuck on the PS4, since the remastered version will inevitably be ported to future platforms for decades to come. Pretty much the same as the George Lucas'd Star Wars situation.

Everything else about the remaster definitely looks like a net positive though. Anyone looking to buy a PS5 and experience Spider-Man for the first time should naturally get that version. Personally I'm holding onto my original copy in the meantime.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Even a toggle for the old look wouldn't fix things since the new face will inevitably be used for Spider-Man 2 (and Miles, if Peter actually shows up in it). 

This is actually the origin of the model - it was made for Miles Morales, and then backported into Remastered, according to the initial announcement post.

Likely means Miles will get his updated model from the PS5 version of Miles Morales too in Remastered.

That makes me further doubt that Insomniac thought about how this new Peter will fit into the original game from a narrative point. Like others have said, this is meant to be a version of Peter with eight years of experience, and whether or not the original looked too old for a 23-year-old or the new actor looks too young is kind of a distraction topic, since the idea was to visually sell us on the idea that this Peter has been Spider-Man for a really long time. Stress and labor ages people, and this new guy doesn't have that look.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've seen people say the original model looked too old, but if that's really the case, I'd have preferred they rescan the original actor for the new model. This is him:

John-Bubniak.jpg

Looks younger than the old model, but still more mature than the current and more importantly, Miles. Current one looks the same age as Miles, which may hurt the mentor relationship, I think. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

I've seen people say the original model looked too old, but if that's really the case, I'd have preferred they rescan the original actor for the new model. This is him:

John-Bubniak.jpg

Looks younger than the old model, but still more mature than the current and more importantly, Miles. Current one looks the same age as Miles, which may hurt the mentor relationship, I think. 

Shit, they really should've. I don't know man... Me thinks this actor miiiight've asked too much money for a sequel and Insomniac didn't agreed? I think it's very unlikely, but who knows... Heck, what if Sony picked this new guy just for the Tom Holland likeness and demanded Insomniac to remodel it?

24 minutes ago, Jango said:

Heck, what if Sony picked this new guy just for the Tom Holland likeness and demanded Insomniac to remodel it?

That would not surprise me in the slightest.

34 minutes ago, Jango said:

Shit, they really should've. I don't know man... Me thinks this actor miiiight've asked too much money for a sequel and Insomniac didn't agreed? I think it's very unlikely, but who knows... Heck, what if Sony picked this new guy just for the Tom Holland likeness and demanded Insomniac to remodel it?

I don’t think it’s a money problem, the PS4 face model had a few tweets up about the replacement, and he seemed bummed out about it.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Spider-Man (PS4, PS5, PC) - PC VERSION COMING AUGUST 12TH 2022 - The Amazingly Spectacular Spidey game you've been waiting for