Jump to content
Awoo.

If there was a humorous take on Sonic, aside from Boom, how do you think it should go?


ShadowSJG
 Share

Recommended Posts

As someone pointed out to me, Sonic Boom doesn't really feel like Sonic in a sense ( Not saying that's its bad), well at least to me and the Pontac/Graff writing can be too juvenile at times and doesn't really hit all the right points. So if there was a new humorous take on the blue hedgehog, how do you think it should go in order to feel and capture Sonic while still being humorous?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much. And it'd be nice to have the humor come from the characters, rather than what wacky and random situation that the writers think is absolutely hilarious. And it'd be nice to also have that humor provide brevity in between dramatic moments, instead of right in the middle of them as to kill them entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

How would you go about making sure it doesn't reach teen titans go levels of bad?

Easy, by not being shit and also best to not mock the stuff fans hold a lot of love towards.

Boom does that fine, sure it pokes fun at 90s coolness with Swifty but I never got the feeling that the Boom team actively despises Sonic as a cool character but they aren't afraid to admit that the 90s style of cool is super corny and tryhard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, sansy said:

Easy, by not being shit and also best to not mock the stuff fans hold a lot of love towards.

Boom does that fine, sure it pokes fun at 90s coolness with Swifty but I never got the feeling that the Boom team actively despises Sonic as a cool character but they aren't afraid to admit that the 90s style of cool is super corny and tryhard.

But that's a bit self-depricating for, you know, Sonic. I'd feel like the franchise should have more self-confidence in what it is than that. That's why it feels incredibly out of place to be mocking itself like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

But that's a bit self-depricating for, you know, Sonic. I'd feel like the franchise should have more self-confidence in what it is than that. That's why it feels incredibly out of place to be mocking itself like that.

I'm not really seeing how being self-aware equates to lacking self-confidence. If anything, I think it takes a bit of confidence to be able to bring up a semi-ridiculous element of the past, laugh about it, and then move on.

And honestly, I don't see anything wrong with a bit of self-depreciating comedy every now and again anyway, no matter the franchise. It really only becomes an annoyance when that type of humor is relied on a bit too much, but I don't get that feeling at all from Boom.  

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find the question weird because we've already had other humor all throughout the franchise before Pontaff and Graff came along specifically to write the franchise as a comedy first and foremost. Physical humor, slapstick, and character and contextual humor could be seen in games like Sonic & Knuckles, the Dreamcast Era games, the Riders series, Unleashed, and even 06, and it all did its job in providing levity and fun to the proceedings. Sonic being cheeky and tapping a dead robot off a ledge, Tails making a Captain Obvious comment, rivals and villains like Storm being unnaturally polite in the heat of an argument, Chip doing something interesting yet completely irrelevant to the point of the scene in the background, Sonic annoying the shit out of Shadow, general trash talking- there was humor and lightheartedness even in the darkest of games.

So basically, if I were to make a humorous take on Sonic, I'd just write the series like it was written beforehand.

  • Thumbs Up 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I find the question weird because we've already had other humor all throughout the franchise before Pontaff and Graff came along specifically to write the franchise as a comedy first and foremost. Physical humor, slapstick, and character and contextual humor could be seen in games like Sonic & Knuckles, the Dreamcast Era games, the Riders series, Unleashed, and even 06, and it all did its job in providing levity and fun to the proceedings. Sonic being cheeky and tapping a dead robot off a ledge, Tails making a Captain Obvious comment, rivals and villains like Storm being unnaturally polite in the heat of an argument, Chip doing something interesting yet completely irrelevant to the point of the scene in the background, Sonic annoying the shit out of Shadow, general trash talking- there was humor and lightheartedness even in the darkest of games.

So basically, if I were to make a humorous take on Sonic, I'd just write the series like it was written beforehand.

True, but old games were more about action adventure, not that much about comedy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

True, but honestly I don't feel like the franchise should really steep most of its narrative identity in comedy anyway, nor do I think the action-adventure focus ever excluded comedy to such an extent that it was absent, and subsequently that we needed to go in the completely opposite direction of previous games with the Pontaff games and Boom. The most I'd be willing to go is something like Riders or Unleashed where the humor was the most prevalent, but really no more than that for the actual games.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Pretty much. And it'd be nice to have the humor come from the characters, rather than what wacky and random situation that the writers think is absolutely hilarious. And it'd be nice to also have that humor provide brevity in between dramatic moments, instead of right in the middle of them as to kill them entirely.

Absolutely. And In addition to the "Bugs Bunny" feel, I might make it more "Ren and Stimpy" meets "Shrek". Completely insane situations and faces + pop culture references and making fun of everything in sight, in this case Mario. Even if they did take Boom's feel, I'd be more Don Martin than Seinfeld. I'd definitely cut the focus on the likes of Comedy Chimp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd exaggerate the characters, but I'd like to try and exaggerate or play with as much of their personality as I can, and not leave anything on the wayside.

Sonic has a mouth smarter than he is, he snarky and cheesy and all that good stuff. Though on the general whole Sonic's a genuinely confident guy, he largely behaves in a way that he considers "proper" for a radical dude such as himself, and he can be goaded to do things if you challenge or blackmail his pride(though if you challenge his speed you better have proof or he'll just laugh). This also seems true of Boom! Sonic, but I don't think they really utilise it in a way that's all that funny, he gets called chicken and the deed gets done, or he starts whining about how something's going to hurt his street cred, too easy, not creative enough.

Knuckles is the one that's 100% done with everything, Sonic has his moments but it's mainly Knuckles' thing, he'll spend a lot of his time being annoyed by or pretending to be annoyed by others(he cares more than he lets on). Knuckles is the one to groan at Sonic's jokes and posing and tell him he's an idiot. He's far from innocent though, and is pretty egotistical and goadable himself. And gullible.

Sonic and Knuckles bicker over silly things, will pretend not to care about each other but do, get up to dangerous and ridiculous games like they do in Boom.

Boom! Tails is perfect, he doesn't need to change, perhaps throw in a bit of captain obvious occasionally.

I think Amy is a little bossy and bratty, and that can definitely be an angle to use, but I don't like the way it's handled in Boom, she comes off too much like a naggy housewife when I think she should act more like a "spoiled sweet" child. Amy's character should be a bit too "familiar" with everyone, kind of like she was with Elise and Silver (and is with Sonic), I think that could be amusing to watch.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

As someone pointed out to me, Sonic Boom doesn't really feel like Sonic in a sense ( Not saying that's its bad), well at least to me and the Pontac/Graff writing can be too juvenile at times and doesn't really hit all the right points. So if there was a new humorous take on the blue hedgehog, how do you think it should go in order to feel and capture Sonic while still being humorous?

Something along the lines of the Sonic OVA: funny without making any effort to be so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno why, but I'd like something like Deadpool, where Sonic and Tails are aware they're in a game, making fun of it, and generally not taking anything seriously. And then everyone else plays the straight man, unaware of whatever Sonic and Tails is doing.

I would also like to see some humour like the Ratchet & Clank games. I can't describe the humour, but I'd love to see something like it in a Sonic game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.