Awoo.

Can a good Sonic anime be made?

Ryannumber1gamer

I really don't see how things could be predictable when Unleashed was really the only game to have a fleshed out story with world building and without many issues. I mean, problems with Chip aside, I think it's even better than Black Knight's story because of the world building. Sonic 1 & 2 has a non-existent story, 3&K has a good story but it's basic due to limitations of the time. Adventure 1, and 2 has good ideas for stories but due to the time period, ideas end up being cheesy, stilted and awkward, as well as having plot points that weren't thought out. Heroes is a mixture of basic, and Adventure's issues. Shadow and 06 *shudders* no brainer. and Colours, Gens, and Lost World suffers from being too basic, not having it's ideas fleshed out, and overall terrible writing, due to either bad jokes, or what seems to be restrictions from SEGA itself.

An anime would have more than enough potential to flesh out the game's canon, especially when even X managed to pull it off with it's Adventure 1 adapt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd just make an "ultimate" Sonic universe that tries it's best to stick by the world it's created while adapting story-lines based on the games in order and maybe bringing some stuff from other canons in. They couldn't just be straight adaptions, but I don't think most people want to see that anyway. They want to see the stories cleaned up and improved to actually meet the potential they presented when they first saw them .There'd also be shorter original stories based on certain characters in between big "game" arcs to flesh them out and make sure they have down time together like, for example, a campout on angel island or something where the gang bugs the shit out of Knuckles, or Sonic finally taking Amy out. I'd try an avoid the garbage the other Sonic cartoons have where they pad shit out with original characters nobody even came here to see. 

• Thumbs Up 8

4 hours ago, Azoo said:

Sure, they're written well, but when I am looking to get into something with the name "Sonic the Hedgehog", I'm kinda expecting what the games gave me and more, not something that feels completely different.

This reminds me that I've always been a little curious as to what the Archie comics would be like if the Freedom Fighters were their own IP independent from Sonic.  It would probably be a really cool thing and an awesome series in its own right if they stuck with the post-reboot (or at the least, the very early comics) take on the characters.

But of course, I doubt the characters are popular enough to hold their own series without the Sonic name attached to it, so we'll probably never get to see such a thing.  Just an interesting little thought I had.

• Thumbs Up 4

With the success of Sonic Boom, I doubt we'll be seeing a new Sonic show anytime soon, but I would love to see another Sonic anime, and I do enjoy some of your ideas...I also very much appreciate the thought you put into this. But it seems we may want very different things from such an anime given our views of the two that have been made to date.

Personally, I think X is the best Sonic animation project ever and one of my favorite cartoons of all time. I'm currently watching through every episode for the 4th or 5th time since it aired and I would love to see another show like it. I particularly enjoyed the explanation of humans suddenly appearing in Sonic games as well as their rendition of the SA1 and SA2 arcs (which you did mention). While I could have done without Chris, I think he was a necessary evil and I enjoy most of the other original characters (certainly more than the SatAM original characters, though they're much better depicted in the comics and I actually like them there). Topaz is probably my favorite original character, as you know Rouge must have met people while working for the government and it's really cool to actually see that depiction of her first real friend. I also happened to enjoy Rouge's jazzy theme, though other than that I agree with you about the music, particularly in a series with such fantastic music.

I actually wasn't aware of the censorship in the dub and now I kind of want to go through and watch the sub...I love both subs and dubs, but I almost never double dip within the same show; if I saw the dub first, I never touch the sub and vice versa. When changes are made to content I will make exceptions though, so as weird as this will be, I may do just that. Could be a fun experience.

Meanwhile, I find the OVA incredibly difficult to watch. The animation is about the only positive aspect, but the story (weird, unexplained plot points as you mentioned), the godawful voice acting, and the nonsensical designs (cowboy Knuckles? Really?) absolutely ruined it for me.

It's worth noting that I saw Sonic X on TV as it aired and was in Jr High at the time, so there was certainly a nostalgic factor for me. I do not claim to be entirely objective. But I absolutely adore that anime.

Whatever happens with a new anime and whatever direction they take, I just hope they don't neglect their characters...I loved that X included everyone from Cream and Big to Rouge and Team Chaotix. Since the games seem to be neglecting most characters in the franchise, it would be cool to see them on TV again. 

• 4 months later...

In my opioion yes. It can Work. The Sonic CD opening (made by toei animation) proved it can be done. And Sonic Basically is tone down DBZ.

I think a good Sonic Anime can be made.. If there was to be a full length series, like Sonic X, then the best way to make it work is have Sonic stay on his world, I.E Earth, and not some alternate dimension, and adapt a game from there. The game arcs that were adapted to Sonic X were loosely based. but seemed to be lacking the overall depth the games had. Say for instance when Sonic was arrested and taken to prison island, instead of showing the next part him with the group, have Sonic go through the stage like in the game. Having human characters is not a bad idea, but not ones where they take center stage. Background usage, like in Sonic Adventure or something. All in all, I would love to see an anime adaptation of Sonic Unleashed or Colors