Awoo.

Frequently Asked Questions

bmn

18 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The site isn't letting me put my birthday on to my profile...

I saw this was handled earlier, but just as a note for anyone having trouble with this in the future:

For some reason, you can't edit/add birthdays through the site and any major changes to your profile (member title, profile details--not including avatar/signature changes) seem to zero the birthday off (I know because it happened to me). I don't know if it's some glitch with IPB4 in general or what, but if anyone is having any trouble with this, feel free to contact a mod or admin and we can edit it manually through our own tools for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a problem with reading trough posts having Tweets in them. For some reason if there's a Tweet in the page I'm on it somehow "pushes" everything "down" that comes after that Tweet, like if scrolling up the page. It just puts some blank space between the Tweet and other stuff in the post making posts growing length without really adding anything to the posts. It makes reading and especially liking/quoting/responding pretty hard on those pages since the "scrolling" doesn't stop at any moment. The only way to stop that effect is to hide Tweets if they're quotes/something like that but most cases that isn't possible. Is there any way fixing this or at least hide the Tweets so they wouldn't be able to do this? I'd like to like peoples posts here, having a button for it and all...

Pretty much like this (I made a kind of "graph" to try to show how it goes if it's for any help since it's hard to explain):

someone's post:

some text here

Tweet

_ (blank space coming)

_ (more blank space after a split-second)

_ (so on...)

some other stuff, like liking button on a constant move...

end of someone's post

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: (27.11.2016)

So, I made some testing and it seems this problem occurs in my W7 computer with IE used, but not when I went to the topics with Ubuntu & Firefox combination. So maybe this problem is just for IE? Is there any way to fix my IE or something so this wouldn't occur?

Edited by BlueSky
more information found out about occurring problem

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 8:08 AM, BlueSky said:

**really long post**

Unfortunately, there isn't really much you can do bar hope that Microsoft releases an update that fixes the issue. IE is a notoriously buggy browser that works in a way different from normal browsers, and Microsoft has only recently been trying to fix it, so often websites aren't fully compatible with it or have to add all sorts of code to make itself compatible with IE. If SSMB works properly with Ubuntu or Firefox, you should just use one of those.

(Those two are better browsers anyway-- they're much more efficient, so loading, downloading, and uploading is faster. I don't know about Ubuntu but I know that Firefox is more secure than IE too.)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Mad Convoy said:

Unfortunately, there isn't really much you can do bar hope that Microsoft releases an update that fixes the issue. IE is a notoriously buggy browser that works in a way different from normal browsers, and Microsoft has only recently been trying to fix it, so often websites aren't fully compatible with it or have to add all sorts of code to make itself compatible with IE. If SSMB works properly with Ubuntu or Firefox, you should just use one of those.

(Those two are better browsers anyway-- they're much more efficient, so loading, downloading, and uploading is faster. I don't know about Ubuntu but I know that Firefox is more secure than IE too.)

Well, the Ubuntu I referred to is more like of an operating system (based on Linux by the way) for computers, pretty much all of my studying place's computers run with it due to the fact most scientifical programs are made for it and may not even have replacements for Windows/Mac at all. I tested with it because I wanted to know if the problem lied within the computer itself. I suppose though IE is the real culprit. Pretty funny actually since IE worked just fine in here for a long time for me. I suppose it might be the Twitter's problem, it somehow has issues with IE at least considering playing videoclips and such even when GIFs work just fine.

But yeah, I can agree, Firefox has some better aspects on it compared to IE, maybe I'll just use it at least for the time being. Thank you very much for the answer. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Support for the actual Internet Explorer browser (as far as I know) has been pretty much discontinued, so as web functions become more complex, IE will probably continue to become less and less functional (than it already was), in favor of instead lending support to Microsoft Edge.  Since you're using Windows 7, I don't think you can get Edge (it's exclusive to Windows 10, I think?), so switching to FireFox or Chrome is a necessity, I'm afraid.

• Thumbs Up 2

^Ah, thanks for telling me that, I'll just do that, I don't want to have any problems because of poor security and all of the other reasons this no-updates thing will cause to happen. ^_^ And even with this I still think the advise I got for not to get 10 is pretty valid... Why they even changed the browsing methods in the first place... Honestly if Linux would have all of those everyday-things for it easily without all that tinkering I'd get Ubuntu, I haven't got money for Mac anyway...

By the way, does any of you know what'll happen to all of those over 12,000 favourites I have for IE in the favourites file, will they be in for Firefox to use or will I need to transfer them to somewhere when I'm changing it to act as my default browser? Just wondering if I'd need to use my brains again or something...

10 hours ago, BlueSky said:

And even with this I still think the advise I got for not to get 10 is pretty valid... Why they even changed the browsing methods in the first place... Honestly if Linux would have all of those everyday-things for it easily without all that tinkering I'd get Ubuntu, I haven't got money for Mac anyway...

If you're talking about the overexaggerated reports about Windows 10 having privacy-invasive measures, those are features that can be turned off.  They're not anything to worry about.

10 hours ago, BlueSky said:

By the way, does any of you know what'll happen to all of those over 12,000 favourites I have for IE in the favourites file, will they be in for Firefox to use or will I need to transfer them to somewhere when I'm changing it to act as my default browser? Just wondering if I'd need to use my brains again or something...

Most browsers will start out as a blank slate with bookmarks/favorites; however, FireFox has a feature that allows you to import your favorites from IE to FireFox.  Bearing in mind, however, that if you add a Bookmark on FireFox, it won't appear on IE and vice versa.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

Can a user deactivate their own account?

No. I'm afraid we do not give users the ability to deactivate their accounts, nor do we accept requests to delete accounts.

It's also worth noting we're pretty strict about our "one account per user" policy. If you're having some trouble, I'd suggest talking to someone on staff and we can see how to help, but short of that, we won't be entertaining specific requests about this sort of thing.

On ‎4‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 8:58 AM, Tara said:

If you're talking about the overexaggerated reports about Windows 10 having privacy-invasive measures, those are features that can be turned off.  They're not anything to worry about.

Most browsers will start out as a blank slate with bookmarks/favorites; however, FireFox has a feature that allows you to import your favorites from IE to FireFox.  Bearing in mind, however, that if you add a Bookmark on FireFox, it won't appear on IE and vice versa.

Well, I didn't really know about that privacy stuff, I've just got an opinion from the professional I showed my late older computer to that 10 is not as good as 7. That and I'm an old fart mentally speaking around this matter. ^_^ If it doesn't bring anything new & good to the table it's pretty much "if it ain't broken why fix it" matter to me.

Nice. So if I got this right, I can transfer those favourites I already have in IE to Firefox when I start to use it but after that IE and Firefox have nothing to do with each other around that matter? Just to be certain so I won't do anything stupid... 

9 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Well, I didn't really know about that privacy stuff, I've just got an opinion from the professional I showed my late older computer to that 10 is not as good as 7. That and I'm an old fart mentally speaking around this matter. ^_^ If it doesn't bring anything new & good to the table it's pretty much "if it ain't broken why fix it" matter to me.

Nice. So if I got this right, I can transfer those favourites I already have in IE to Firefox when I start to use it but after that IE and Firefox have nothing to do with each other around that matter? Just to be certain so I won't do anything stupid... 

I mean, it depends on what you consider "better" and of course the computer you're using.  I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 and have had nothing but good things to say about it.  In terms of functionality, I don't think Windows 7 or 10 really have a better or worse.  But if you won't be doing anything that needs a more advanced, up-to-date OS, then there's no harm in just sticking with 7 for now.

And that's pretty much correct.  The option to import bookmarks will always be there, but the two are not linked in the slightest.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎13‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 4:38 AM, Tara said:

I mean, it depends on what you consider "better" and of course the computer you're using.  I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 and have had nothing but good things to say about it.  In terms of functionality, I don't think Windows 7 or 10 really have a better or worse.  But if you won't be doing anything that needs a more advanced, up-to-date OS, then there's no harm in just sticking with 7 for now.

And that's pretty much correct.  The option to import bookmarks will always be there, but the two are not linked in the slightest.

Well yeah, I think you're right. (And I'm not that interested in stuff when it's basically showed in my face like W10 was by Microsoft.) The computer I have is mostly meant for studying and webscrolling anyways, it doesn't need to run anything more complicated than videos and Excel-tabs for few thousand cells downwards so well... Somehow 10 just doesn't appeal to me. And not having eaten all that fancy stuff I won't go overboard and break it with gaming... :blush:

Thank you very much for the help, it was much needed. ^_^

• 2 months later...

I just made an art topic which was intended to have four different spoiler tags, but it somehow ended up becoming a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler, and it won't let me fix it. Not on my phone at least.

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I just made an art topic which was intended to have four different spoiler tags, but it somehow ended up becoming a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler, and it won't let me fix it. Not on my phone at least.

I assumed I wasn't overstepping any boundaries, but went ahead and quickly edited your spoiler tags so they're all separate. If anything's out of place or if there's any errors, let me know.

I personally don't like posting/editing from my phone, and I think trying to edit spoiler tags or even quotes is kind of a pain.

Did you use the BBcode for editing the spoilers or did you use the spoiler button on the formatting bar?

For some reason, there is a rather obnoxious glitch that, when using the BBcode for spoilers, the opening tag for some reason engulfs everything that comes after it, even if a closing tag is present.  A workaround is to type out your post in its entirety, highlight the parts you want wrapped in spoiler tags and press the spoiler button (looks like a human eye).  That should keep it from merging the spoiler tags.

Strangely, I can't seem to post status updates at all. Whenever I click the field for them on the main page, I'm redirected to my profile. And I've dug around a lot of the site and can't find any kind of alternative method. I assume this is because I'm not allowed to post status updates, and if so, why?

6 hours ago, Cheawn said:

Strangely, I can't seem to post status updates at all. Whenever I click the field for them on the main page, I'm redirected to my profile. And I've dug around a lot of the site and can't find any kind of alternative method. I assume this is because I'm not allowed to post status updates, and if so, why?

It appears your statuses were disabled by default. I've noticed this is a thing that's affected random users, more so newer users that joined after our last board upgrade. Couldn't find any issue, so I'm going to go ahead and enable them for you.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Eevee of the Everstone said:

Yeah, I have no way to post Statuses either.

Enabled.

2 hours ago, Vulpix of the Everstone said:

I too am also missing this feature. :(

Should be enabled now.

11 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

I three can't post status updates either.

Enabled.

• 6 months later...