Awoo.

Frequently Asked Questions

bmn

Holy shit, hoooooly shit, it's like you want us to baby you around and treat you like morons.

You guys should be thankful that the mods around here give you all the benefit of the doubt for having the fucking courtesy to act like civilized human beings without having to put you through Metal Gear Sonic 4. Or do you truly want us to start being pedantic about the painfully obvious and subject you all through lectures on how to not flame people (perhaps a difficult endeavor for certain socially challenged individuals, but still)? And the best part is that you wouldn't even read through all of it.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's not about babying people, it's about covering your bases. At any rate, I'm capable of operating under these rules, don't get me wrong, I'm just thinking about everyone else. You never know what kind of idiots could sign up for these forums. This is the Sonic fanbase after all. Unless you guys are intentionally trying to keep those people out of the forums.

The people who are incapable of understanding rules that simple don't come here anyway. They live at the Sega forums.

• Thumbs Up 7

Goodness this has gotten silly and doesn't belong in the FAQ at all (as nothing about the rules has ever really been frequently asked)

Though I believe the general feeling among the mods is that when you join a forum you do not only look at the rules page to get a sense of of the place, but you read through the posts and topics that are here and try to integrate with the community as a whole. There is a lot of gray area, but it's fallacious of you to suggest that this constitutes as a counter point, because the whole world is gray. We can't necessarily define every specific incidence of what flaming or a minor offense is because these are gray areas which do take a reasoning mind to work out, we can't list out everything like 'fuck yourself = flaming. Frick yourself =/= flaming' That's silly.

The reason we have a 3 strike system in place is so you can /learn the rules as you post/. If you do something that the mods consider a disruptive enough behavior to eventually lead to you not being allowed at the forum, this is why we give you a strike and inform you of what you did wrong. That means you have multiple chances to remedy your behavior before it would lead you to to being banned. It's a pretty good system, as it allows for you to to learn through experience and while not trying to worry to much about following every black and white rule, because we've got steps in place to help you learn as you go (which are what strikes are).

Anyways please don't keep posting all of this here though as we've answered why the rules as they and this is a topic for FAQ, not discussion. If you need more help with make a new topic for discussing this, or better yet utilize the system a bit and see how it well it works (which is a pretty fair thing to do before you criticize something on the grounds of "It might be a hypothetical problem but I have no evidence to support this") or PM a mod for help if you need it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh wow o.o;

Um, anyways, something I've been curious about for a while now: Why do you have to clear your cache to get your avatar or other things to appear? I've never had that problem at other sites. Not really a big deal, just curious.

A lot of boards, including possibly older IPB iterations would treat new avatars as new files altogether, kind of like an image hosting service. This version of IPB logs avatars into a set image directory for a user and since that link/image still exists in your temporary files (in your case it's photo-3333), the browser automaticaly loads it.

You don't actually have to clear your cache everytime you switch to display them though, usually a refresh is enough.

Ever since the board upgrade, I haven't had to clear my cache at all to see my new avatar. I just go to a page I posted on and refresh and it automatically updates. I remember pre-upgrade that it wouldn't do that.

Bolt I think you should jjust remember that the mods here are humans behind computer monitors and not faulty mechanical automations like in that hell hole you came from. They can actually tell who's being a complete douche/idiot and will take action against the right people. Just make your posts have meaning like "I like S3&K because *reasons XYZ*" instead of just "I like S3&K" and Don't make your posts contain nothing but an image like on 4chan. And obviously don't be a fanboy like sonic1sonic or CJohnson. Just chill, post and enjoy not having word filters on here.

I have a bit of an issue with logging in. I just managed to get myself registered, but whenever I go to another page, I am not logged in anymore. And when I try to log in again it says this:

ERROR: Invalid username. Lost your password?

Its verry annoying. I cant respond to the news and things like that because of this. Can someone help me? sorry if this might be a noobish question but it does annoy me. =( It happens on the pages with sonic on the plane. Can someone give me a hand. Im completely new to this forum and im a big Sonic fan!

EDIT: And I hope its okay to post my question in this topic.

Edited by yoshfiction

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to put a new picture in my avatar and sig. I have a picture of Penny from Inspector Gadget that I put on my computer from my phone. It wouldn't upload to the avatar, so I tried putting it through a paint file. No luck there, either. I'm tired of that Derp Tails avatar and I'm sure everyone else is too. How can I change it?

Also, how do I add a picture to my signature from my desktop?

I'll do the best I can to help. I know a lot about these things.

Well first off the biggest size a file can be is 200x200 (200 px as it says) but the file can be a little bit bigger. And the only file types that works is .jpg .png and .gif. So that the image you want to use for an avatar is either too big or not a compatible file type.

For the sig part to upload something you should go to a website that let's you create an account and upload images. I will recommend using Photobucket.com for this. Also sig work can be a bit hard to do so let me give you what my sig's guts looks like:

lookatallthissigwork.jpg

But that's just an example. I'm sure you can figure it out from here. Hope this helps.

Hmmm.. It could just be the file then.

Like I said the only files that work are .jpg .png and .gif. And phone files aren't that big either so this is a strange case.

Alright that should work. You just might need to resize/crop it a bit. That's what I do with my avatars if they aren't work.

Also I'm not sure about how it works with the new formating so I usually have it off. To do so click on the first icon on the upper right that looks like a switch. Its easier to do without it since all you need to do is to put

image here[ /center] like my sig example up there, just without the space in between the / and the [ in the second one.

Hopes this helps a bit more.

Edited by Dream of the Endless

Well that sucks. And I've done the best I could to help but it looks like it isn't enough. D:

So I'll recommend talking to a mod or bmn if he's around about this. They should be able to help.

As for the Avatar, it says "Recommended 200px or larger" I had it at 208x193, and it didn't work. Then I cropped it even more, and tried both values lower than 200. It wouldn't even tell me it failed. Ugh.

I had a similar issue. Try resizing your avatar to 150x150 and then upload it. That is what worked for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is the avatar below 50kb?

This is the most common issue most people have with their avs here since IPB doesn't explicitly state this limit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there any way to search for a member's posts in a specific thread?

Following this question. should I assume that means there's no way to only see your own posts in a thread (Besides searching them like Jeff said)?

I don't mean to sound like a pretentious ass, but is it possible to set it so when you click on the Who's Posted menu that the number of posts executes a search?

For example, when I look at a thread on another board (which admittedly is vBulletin rather than IPB, so I have no idea if it is possible on IPB) I'm a member of, this is what I'm presented with:

whopostedgtp.png

And the numbers are clickable links that lead you to that member's posts. Whereas here:

whopostedssmb.png

The numbers just tell you the amount of times the member has posted.

Sorry again if I'm stating something completely obvious.

Edited by Celestia

This is now implemented. IPB's advanced search doesn't seem to have an input for member ID, so it's using name instead, which may catch other users with similar names.

• Thumbs Up 1