Awoo.

EU referendum: The UK votes to leave the EU

Kevin

Y'know, as much as I hate the bulbous goon, this is not how I wanted David Cameron to resign.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is imminent, and I am seriously going to be gone by the time that happens. I'm going to get an Irish passport and fuck off to Europe, or further. Fuck this shit, seriously. I'm ashamed to be a UK citizen right now. We've just told the world we're a bunch of small minded bigots. 

The Northern Ireland question is seriously worrying - the Good Friday Agreement and other facets of the Peace Process depend entirely on the EU, and Brexit has just set that back by about 30 years. Great. Just great. 

Congratulations, David, you just fucked the UK so totally for the next 40 years because you couldn't tell the idiots in your party to just shut up about Europe. No, you had to give them a referendum, which backfired spectacularly on you. Guess what? Blaming the shit your government put us through on immigrants would result in people hating the EU. I know right, what a shocker.

Is 10AM too early for a drink?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, if it's any consolation, my country's history is an indicator. 

Singapore got kicked out of Malaysia and here we are now. 

Anyway, you people will be okay. You're already a developed country and you ppl will recover with good policies. 

As for any improvements, i don't know since i don't live there. 

Anyway, I expect more market fluctuations this year...

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

So people that voted Leave. Did you do it for the NHS? Farage has come out and said he lied about it.

One of his main campaign points. Gone already. Oh dear, we are so screwed. I'm so sorry it's gone this way guys. I am not looking forward to the aftermath on this one. BE SAFE EVERYONE, if we had a riot for the Scottish Independence referendum, I can imagine some rioting over this.

So, they lied to have their way, and as a result the money that was spent (that they lied about getting back) won't be gotten back.

This is gonna be interesting...and not in a good way, mind you.

14 minutes ago, caseykz said:

Well, if it's any consolation, my country's history is an indicator. 

Singapore got kicked out of Malaysia and here we are now. 

Anyway, you people will be okay. You're already a developed country and you ppl will recover with good policies. 

As for any improvements, i don't know since i don't live there. 

Anyway, I expect more market fluctuations this year...

Yeah, there's a big difference between getting kicked out and leaving of your own accord, so I don't think that's a good indicator of anything.

That, and Singapore getting kicked from Malaysia didn't carry the risk of other Malaysia states breaking away, or hurting the global economy to the point of risking another recession.

No telling where things will go from here for the UK, but the short term isn't looking pretty for the time being. Like, where do things go from here within and after the two years they fully leave the EU?

I think that this is going to end badly for UK, but I won't pretend that I know enough to judge.

All I know that my cousins (we're  from Poland) lived in UK for around 10 years and now it's unclear if they will be forced to leave.

I was close to tears when I woke up this morning...this just has disaster written all over it. It's frightening how right wing the UK (and by UK, I mean England) is becoming and how much sway the lies and propaganda of groups like UKIP and Britain First seem to be having over our populace.

Following a general election in which Scotland had literally no say in the majoirty outcome and now a referendum where we had pretty much no chance of swaying the vote, I've never felt more helpless. I can't understand how No voters can sleep at night when they see the future they willingly led this country into....the only consolation I can find is that it makes a second indy ref a hell of a lot more likely. Hopefully we don't fuck that one up too.

Oh dear... This is devastating news. Our family and most of our area voted to Remain. It's like Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson has brainwashed people and ignore the facts instead going for silly patriotic pride and thinking that it would magically remove immigrants. It doesn't work like that Bradley since immigrants will still come over, might even be worse now with them skipping mainland Europe going direct instead and just takes a bit of money to make them residents. Besides most of the UK are immigrants whether it is the Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Normans or whoever invaded in the past and immigrants aren't bad people since they contribute to the work load, just depends on someones personality. What makes it worse is that they had no plan so everything now is by chance. I'm not looking forward to the future where we have a useless Labour leader, the next Prime Minister being either Boris Johnson, Theresa May or even Nigel Farage so you would have to vote for blooming George Osbourne and causes me to not even bother voting. The three times I ever voted (2010, 2015, referendum), the opposite outcome happened. I have lost whatever respect England still had, it's the older generation and the rightwing racists to blame for this result (basically anywhere that isn't London, Manchester and Leeds since those voted remain, the latter only just). Some people voted leave so the NHS would stay, it won't and can actually see it close down in the future by whatever government will get in, most like Conservative so your healthcare will cost more by privatization and in some cases whether you get the treatment at all. Benefits will go so the disabled will be affected.

I even feel sorry for David Cameron in a way (since his party pushed him to do it) and 6 years ago, I would have never said those words at all. Still thanks England and Wales for this. So chances are Scotland will push for independence, Northern Ireland probably unwilling team up with Ireland and even then trouble will happen due to their differences, some Unionists might go straight to England instead.

Not enjoying having to get a visa everytime that I want to go to Spain, not enjoying things getting more expensive and stuff already is pricey, not enjoying hardly eating due to more chicken from Thailand pushed to our throats, not enjoying my human rights disappearing and our family suffered through this past month too. If our family had enough money, we would have left years ago to mainland Europe and as it stands it is almost impossible.

I am going to really dread the future more; possible wars with Spain and Argentina (the former over Gibraltar, the latter over the Falklands), massive recession not just in the UK but also the US and most of the 1st world countries too. It will affect companies too due to unable to trade so it will affect the work force having either limited skills and options, outsourcing everything or more expensive employees, companies will close down (and something as fickle as the remains of the UK gaming industry will go due to competition from Sweden, Canada, Poland, the US and Japan).

5 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

Is 10AM too early for a drink?

Normally it is but in this occassion, go get something strong.

Given the doctrine of Parliamentary supremacy and the narrow margin of victory (52-48), is there a possibility another vote could be considered? Of 46 million registered voters, only 33.5 million showed up.

This is a rather big issue, after all. A part of me thinks a lot of Remain voters were so convinced of victory that they didn't turn up at the polls.

3 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Think Scotland will succeed in another succession? Things aren't looking too bright, from how it sounds.

Oh, they most likely will. The vote was around 55-45 to remain with the UK. It sounds like a lot of that was people preferring the enemy they knew to the uncertainty of independence.

Now that England's done this... I imagine most of those people are ready to cut ties. England had its chance, and it blew it. It is time for England's empire to fall.

Sucks that England seems to have the greater pull in the decision.

Well, that's the nature of a parliamentary democracy. The majority wins, and the minority can't do a thing about it.

It's times like this I imagine some UK folks think a more rigid federal system like what the US has would be better. Our system is better at protecting political minorities in spite of its faults. That's the whole reason we have the setup that we do: to protect the units with less population from oppression by those with more.

18 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I am going to really dread the future more; possible wars with Spain and Argentina (the former over Gibraltar, the latter over the Falklands),

I think it won't come that far. Britain is part of NATO, so despite the economic uncertainty, most of Europe and the United States has its back militarily. Spain is also part of NATO, so that precludes them doing anything even further.

Though if Scotland secedes, I wouldn't be surprised if that emboldens the Basques and Catalans to do the same in Spain, making the chaos even worse. Revolutionary waves are a thing, after all.

So long as NATO holds strong, even a potential disintegration of the EU won't amount to much. IF it holds strong, though. Fortunately, Putin's constant saber rattling probably will keep everyone in Europe bound together. As many issues as the EU has, I don't think many Europeans want to return to the old state of affairs that dominated Europe for thousands of years - constant wars over stupid issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

Given the doctrine of Parliamentary supremacy and the narrow margin of victory (52-48), is there a possibility another vote could be considered? Of 46 million registered voters, only 33.5 million showed up.

That's still one of the largest turnouts of any vote in UK history, natch. 

Sadly, no - if it was the other way around, UKIP would never stop banging on for a second referendum, but Davey C said 'we must respect the will of the people', so we're lumping it in this timeline. I do think for such a monumental decision that the % necessary for Brexit should have been higher, because, seriously, we're not going to rejoin the EU in my lifetime. 

3 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

That's still one of the largest turnouts of any vote in UK history, natch. 

Sadly, no - if it was the other way around, UKIP would never stop banging on for a second referendum, but Davey C said 'we must respect the will of the people', so we're lumping it in this timeline. I do think for such a monumental decision that the % necessary for a majority should have been higher, because, seriously, we're not going to rejoin the EU in my lifetime. 

Cameron continues to disappoint, conflating "the people" with "the English."

It sounds like the time has come for Britain to make like many other countries and split along ethnic lines.

If this vote was evenly distributed across the country, that'd be one thing. But the way the vote breaks down between the four countries is really disturbing.

"Oh, Scotland will have a say in this! You Scots will be able to sway the vote!"

OH REALLY?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, I didn't think this would actually happen.

...so, like, what's next for the UK? Where do they go from here?

Thanks, democracy.

Well, uh, good luck to the SNP in drawing up an economic plan for independence!  The calculation has certainly changed.  With the risk of losing EU membership having been such a strong argument for the In campaign in the Scottish independence referendum, and the fact that all Scottish council areas and two-thirds of Scottish voters supported Remain, there's a clear possibility of a swing to support for independence now and a strong mandate for a second referendum.  Goodness knows what'll happen in Ireland.  And that's not even starting on the serious threat of further referendums in the rest of Europe.  The knock-on effects of this 1.9% of the vote are potentially gigantic.  Anticipating the breakup of the U.K. and the breakup of the EU is a bit drastic for now, mind, but the potential has been created, and we're now in a highly unstable situation.

Disgusted though I am at the alternatives for the Prime Ministerial position, Cameron had to step down, as in every meaningful way this is on his head.  He blatantly never took the prospect of a referendum seriously or he'd never have permitted it.  Corbyn's been useless, as he was clearly totally ambivalent on Europe and the Labour party were barely anywhere to be seen in the debate as a result.  Heck, I'm pretty ambivalent about many of the EU's political decisions myself; the organisation's handling of the migrant crisis has been horrendous, and their treatment of Greece is simply despicable.  But even before you touch the single market and free movement of labour, the EU is responsible for so many quiet, invisible things.  Environmental regulations, extradition agreements, funding for local culture and history...  What a waste.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Can someone give the "For dummies" version of what this is and why it's gonna suck ass for people in the UK?

6 hours ago, SurrealBrain said:

I don't entirely understand thins..

Imagine if Texas decided to leave the USA.

Yes you can make jokes all you want, but considering how much money and power it has, you can imagine the result.

But yeah, not happy at all about this, frankly every single person who voted to leave is a fucking moron. You bought all the blatant lies and ridiculous 'facts' that the leave campaign said and your life isn't going to get better at all, and now you've totally fucked this country for the next 10 years, it's going to take 2 years minimum to actually leave the EU, then we have to re-negotiate every trade deal again which is going to take another 7-10 years and it will not be as good as what we currently have since we don't have as big an influence on the world stage anymore.

Oh and for those of you in the US reading this, you want to know the biggest joke of all, one of the biggest 'reasons' to leave was 'well we can save tons of money but still trade with EU members'. Yeah that's not going to happen, if you want to trade with an EU member you still have to pay the EU various tarriffs to do so... oh yeah, and allow for free movement of people.

Way to go.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well Scotland voted to stay and that was the biggest point of the 'no' campaign so independence is starting to look like it's on the corner.

Time to start exchanging the pound for some smackeroonies

05lhiCY.png

• Thumbs Up 2

flat,800x800,070,f.u1.jpg

I'm happy that we voted to leave and I'm even more happy that my country (Wales) voted out too. :) According to the BBC this morning out of all the counties in Wales only 5 had a Bremain majority (The ones that voted Bremain more don't surprise me though, considering many reasons such as Gwynedd being where Plaid Cymru thrives for example). My county had a 19.6% lead for Brexit despite being in the middle of South Wales' Labour cluster, which was cool too.

It'll be interesting to see everything that unfolds now. I mean, it'll take a few years for us to shake off the fallout of the transition but once we get back on our feet I think we'll do pretty well in the end!

I think David Cameron resigning is pretty funny considering a few months ago he told parliament that he wouldn't do so if this happened - he built his entire 2015 campaign around this referendum and got hit in the face when it backfired on him. I bet the Lib Dems will be very happy about the broken Tories and Cameron getting what was coming to him after they kept getting blamed for all that bad stuff from the coalition, even if they despise the results of the referendum.

So yeah, I'm pleased. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like people vastly underestimated the apparent appeal of Leave. Oh well, it is what it is.

It's pretty dumb seeing people say things akin to "fuck democracy". If these results were the other way around those same people would be praising it. This is democracy in action, like it or not, for better or for worse.

Both sides were full of shit, lies and scaremongering so it's not much of a victory for Leave who now seem to be backtracking on some claims anyway. It seems highly unlikely there would be a re-vote of any kind, or else we'd end up in a never ending cycle considering how close it was and presumably always will be. Though considering the aforementioned backtracking and absolute hammering the pound is taking, I'd expect some delays and discussions before this result is actually acted on which, after all, was really just a courtesy vote.

What's more interesting will be if other EU members act upon this result. Seems a few might be revving up their own referendums, so it remains to be seen if the EU itself survives.

• Thumbs Up 1

Morgan Stanley looks to move 2,000 London staff
Posted at 13:45

BBC business reporter Joe Lynam reports...

Sources within Morgan Stanley say it has already begun the process of moving about 2,000 of its London-based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt. And it has a taskforce in place.

The jobs which would be moved from the UK would be in euro clearing but also other investment banking functions and senior management.

The American investment bank needs to avail of the passporting system which allows banks to offer financial services in all countries in the EU without having to establish a permanent base in that member state.

The president of Morgan Stanley, Colm Kelleher, told Bloomberg two days ago that Brexit would be “the most consequential thing that we’ve ever seen since the war”.

Here beginneth the business exodus.

Just now, 风之Klonoa said:

This is incredibly amazing. And baffling.

This is one of the reasons why I have said that people should take an IQ test for the right to vote instead of a birth right.

• Thumbs Up 9

Im not living in the UK so i dont want to say if it was a good or bad idea, but the fact that they chose to leave could make other EU countries want to vote for leaving/staying. 

9 minutes ago, 风之Klonoa said:

This is incredibly amazing. And baffling.

Weird, I was just considering if Leave voters were possibly thinking that.  Huh, surprised I got such a lucky guess.

Sums the whole mess up:

• Thumbs Up 6