Awoo.

EU referendum: The UK votes to leave the EU

Kevin

3 minutes ago, Spin Attaxx said:

Sums the whole mess up:

I wish she would have stayed home and listened to Vera fucking Lynn instead of ruining my life. 

Watched the Beebs coverage a bit earlier, and all the Brexiters they dredged up were old people going 'This is my England!' Not for much bloody longer, it is. Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Holy fucking shit!

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/british-holidaymakers-are-having-problems-exchanging-money-already-5964386/?ito=twitter

Here you, yes you @JmTsHaW You and all the others who voted for this, go ahead, explain to us how this is a good thing.

I didn't actually vote lmao I missed the registeration deadline.

I feel they're problems that'll wear off over time once the shock of the result dies down.

I think everyone's gotten way too panicky around here right now, quite frankly.

1 minute ago, JmTsHaW said:

Will you be saying that when Wales funding gets cut?

• Thumbs Up 2

Leave voters either didn't expect their votes to be important or didn't care what happened to people.  Nigel Farage admits Leave's main campaign pledge was a lot of rubbish, and Boris Johnson doesn't want Brexit to happen for years yet.  The Leave campaign is hollow, plain and simple; it has nothing, and always had nothing.

Can we just repeat the referendum next week after people have had time to absorb the result, please?

• Thumbs Up 6

Welp, people already start making petitions for a second referendum. I think its too early for another one.

8 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Will you be saying that when Wales funding gets cut?

Wales' funding might get cut but their funding is supposed to last until 2020. If it takes 2 years to leave the EU and even if that's when the cuts happen instead of 2020, we should have had enough time to have already prepared ourselves for it by then. I highly doubt we're going to lose all funding by next week due to this result.

13521871_735974319877942_233685610229529

The Donald weighs in on the referendum with predictable results.

1 hour ago, Vaporware said:

It's pretty dumb seeing people say things akin to "fuck democracy". If these results were the other way around those same people would be praising it. This is democracy in action, like it or not, for better or for worse.

But the thing is, you can have democracy with minority protections, like what the United States has going for it.

This referendum just told Scotland and Northern Ireland that their interests will not be protected if they remain within the UK, as they do not align with what the English public desires. Fortunately, the UK is fine with secession.

35 minutes ago, JmTsHaW said:

I feel they're problems that'll wear off over time once the shock of the result dies down.

Out of curiosity, do you have any background in Economics, History, etc.?

Because I can tell you, the problems likely will not "wear off." The data's fairly clear that in most cases, free trade produces more benefits than costs.

Yes, some people lose jobs because of it, but think of all the markets that open to British goods. As a reminder: the pursuit of markets is the reason the British Empire became the largest in history. The European Union allowed the same idea without all the death and destruction.

Yes, a few more British workers might be employed by businesses returning to the UK. But many goods will go up in price due to not being produced in countries with comparative advantage. And then there's the issue of customs - all the merch lovers here can tell you customs is Hell, and giving the EU the finger means that imports are going to be a fun thing to play with. Never mind the issue of companies leaving the UK because they are no longer governed by the same rules. In the long run, the UK makes out with less growth and a lower quality of life, all for the sake of self reliance that belongs in the 20th century.

It is unfounded optimism to think Britain will get the same deal with the EU that it had before. It would make zero sense for the EU to grant such generous concessions, when Britain has decided it wants all the benefits and none of the costs of EU membership. If I was a European, my first response to Britain asking for such a thing would most certainly be censored.

You may think it is hysteria, but the historical record shows protectionism doesn't really benefit anyone but an undeveloped country (e.g. the USA right after independence, or several Third World countries today). In fact, it's been argued one of the policies that exacerbated the Great Depression was numerous major powers imposing trade restrictions on each other in the hopes of bolstering their exports... go figure, everyone limiting imports caused everyone to suffer.

Britain has fallen into the trap of the American Dream. This idea that we will be more successful trying everything alone. When in reality, we tend to have our greatest successes when we work together.

25 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Welp, people already start making petitions for a second referendum. I think its too early for another one.

It's a Parliamentary system, it's never too soon for democratic action.

If Americans can change their minds about Donald Trump after a few weeks, I see no reason the British public can't do the same for Brexit.

• Thumbs Up 3

It is disappointing result as it is a leap into the unknown. The border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will be a key issue in the coming weeks and no surprise that calls for a border poll have been thought of, I certainly wouldn't be in favour of Irish Unity at this moment in time.

Scotland will certain go for another Referendum on Independence. My biggest worry is the economy, will big companies decide to pull out of the U.K because it is no longer an E.U member or will they stick with them and see what happens. Young people voted overwhelmingly to remain and again worries me as what does the future hold for us 

An interesting side story is developing where some small parties in Holland and France want a Referendum in their own country on EU Membership. But for now, it will be business as usual in the majority of things but what is to come is something I do have my doubts over

Disappointed with the result. Can't help thinking some people who voted to leave will want to regret it. Being screwed over with all the lies and broken promises. I didn't vote to leave because I am smart enough to not trust the man leading the campaign whom just admitted live on TV that he had lied about the NHS.

Also younger people complaining that older people get to decide for the future and they don't ever get a say in this. So stressed out with everything today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you ready to get REALLY pissed off, my pro-Remain friends?

1 minute ago, TitanWarlord93 said:

Disappointed with the result. Can't help thinking some people who voted to leave will want to regret it.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/man-who-voted-for-leave-says-he-thought-his-vote-wouldnt-count-wins-moron-of-the-year-award-5964450/

Ohhhh, they are. I guess a lot of Leave voters didn't think their vote would count, and were just doing it in protest. These are just some examples and it doesn't appear to be isolated. Some are going so far to say they would change their vote to Remain if they could.

What the Hell, really.

This is like an American voting for Trump for lulz. Protest votes aren't cast for sides that can actually win.

• Thumbs Up 7

28 minutes ago, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

Out of curiosity, do you have any background in Economics, History, etc.?

I've done politics (which covered the UK stuff after 1950, including for example all those devolution referendums) before in both a course I did awhile back and as an interest (I even went out campaigning for the 2015 election too). There's angry people after pretty much everything like this - people got angry when the Welsh assembly got given more powers (in a referendum we had a few years back) for fuck's sake.

On another note - questioning my background? Stuff like this isn't a clear one-way decision and just because people disagree with one possible direction it doesn't mean they're automatically talking out of their ass or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, JmTsHaW said:

I've done politics (which covered the UK stuff after 1950, including for example all those devolution referendums) before in both a course I did awhile back and as an interest (I even went out campaigning for the 2015 election too). There's angry people after pretty much everything like this - people got angry when the Welsh assembly got given more powers (in a referendum we had a few years back) for fuck's sake.

On another note - questioning my background? Stuff like this isn't a clear one-way decision and just because people disagree with one possible direction it doesn't mean they're automatically talking out of their ass or something.

I didn't inquire about your background to dismiss your view or insult you. I asked about it given your optimism about where this will go.

People are angry, sure, but they have reason to be. The historical record doesn't give much room for optimism about this outcome. It's rather like how often politicians preach deregulation as a cure for economic woes, when the record is quite clear that this doesn't really work. The idea of less government, less regulations, etc. sounds fantastic on paper, but the data just isn't there to really support it as a long-term policy.

The same goes for this: the idea of Britain having more control over its economy sounds fantastic, but when one starts to factor in all the benefits (and the strong likelihood they will be lost) that came from being within the EU economic bloc, the picture is no longer so rosy. Britain will get some jobs back in the short-term as trade is cut off... but then prices will rise due to restricted access to goods and services from the continent. Jobs will be lost in export sectors as the markets narrow. More jobs will be lost and wages cut to compensate for the increased cost of doing business.

One idea of leaving the EU is freedom from bureaucracy. Here's the irony: integration is what causes freedom from bureaucracy, by removing all the baggage that comes from those imaginary lines we call borders.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

Are you ready to get REALLY pissed off, my pro-Remain friends?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/man-who-voted-for-leave-says-he-thought-his-vote-wouldnt-count-wins-moron-of-the-year-award-5964450/

Ohhhh, they are. I guess a lot of Leave voters didn't think their vote would count, and were just doing it in protest. These are just some examples and it doesn't appear to be isolated. Some are going so far to say they would change their vote to Remain if they could.

What the Hell, really.

This is like an American voting for Trump for lulz. Protest votes aren't cast for sides that can actually win.

I might be reading it wrong, but I don't think he actually voted because he assumed his vote wouldn't have been of any value to the Remain side of the referendum due to thinking it would be a clear win for them. Every vote counts which is why for I've voted for the first time in my life. 

Regarding people wanting to change their votes, I think they feel guilty or pressured in to doing so due to the amount of hostility that is currently circulating (even here). 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Stasis said:

Regarding people wanting to change their votes, I think they feel guilty or pressured in to doing so due to the amount of hostility that is currently circulating (even here). 

It's actually quite possible a lot of them had a "it seemed like a good idea at the time..." approach to it, though. A lot of Americans thought Trump was great when our primaries started a few months back, but now a lot of his supporters are starting to think they made the wrong choice.

Hindsight being 20/20, I think a lot of people are legitimately regretting their choice. This is not only harming the economy, but may finally destroy a Union that has survived for centuries. Britain as we know it will likely cease to exist because of this.

Plus, think of this consequence: if Scotland leaves, that means what's left over drifts towards the right. That's probably registering in the minds of a lot of voters who benefit from left-wing policies right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

tSo yeah, I live in the UK and the vote to leave was quite a surprise. It was an incredibility difficult decision to make, especially no really knowing/understanding all the pros and cons for staying or leaving.

Anyway, it's done and it will be very interesting to see not only the long term knock-on-effects (as well as the short-term) in the UK, but also the EU. If I understand correctly it's going to be about two years before we officially leave the union. As for the EU, will this now prompt other countries - who feel they are financially strong enough to survive outside of the union - to have their own referendums to see if they want to remain or leave. It's going be fascinating, although definitely uncertain times.

I wonder if Boris Johnson could be the man to lead the UK as we exit the EU?

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to preface that I don't want to indiscriminately rant about people who voted to Leave. This was a complex issue with pros and cons on each side, and if someone gave the issue serious thought and chose Leave, then that's their damn right to do so.

Peope who voted Leave just to "take the country back", or almost soley due to the immigration issue, can screw off.

Now the future looks grim, with less favourable trade deals (because why the hell would any country want to do us a favour now we've decided to have less global influence and bartering power), brokered by people that couldn't negotiate with teachers or tube drivers. A government containing people that want to reduce our human rights (like hell would their British Charter protect us the same way).

I don't think Farage ever made the £350 million claim about the NHS himself, but he had enough lies of his own. Both campaigns were a fucking mess full of lies, but Leave were better. Corbyn is in trouble, because as much as I agree with his policies and like the way he conducts himself, he is a piss-poor party leader.

A second vote won't take place. Scotland might get their chance, but it is far from certain. We're stuck with this. The only major positive I can take so far is that Osborne won't be staying on as Chancellor, not with Cameron going.

...and now they say they want to wait before starting the process, and not be too hasty. Bit smegging late for that.

• Thumbs Up 5

Leave supporters atm:

yqeXuJN.jpg

Going to try my hand at getting an Irish passport/citizenship thanks to my paternal side, to retain EU Citizenship. My father is trying too. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-irish-passport-after-brexit-8274506

Have to say I'm really disappointed in my country at the moment, a campaign based on outright lies and hyperbole has won. There was a lot of misinformation spread around about the actual process in the EU, not just in the referendum period, but over the last few decades by British tabloids. Whilst there are certainly arguments to be made about how business is handled there, the overwhelming narrative that has been put forth by some parties is that the entire process is dictated in full by five faceless bureaucrats that no-one has any selection and control over, which isn't true in somewhat significant ways.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ryanair just announced on the news that they won't be investing in the UK for the next 2 years.

Pretrol stations just announced that prices will go up immediately due to the fall of the pound.

Airbus has also confirmed they won't be investing for a while.

As have a number of American banks.

Seriously fuck off if you voted leave.

• Thumbs Up 7

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is now the first video game to pull out content as a result of UK leaving EU.

After the results of yesterday's referendum Britain has officially asked to be removed from Euro Truck Simulator.  Since the announcements SCS Software, the developers of Euro Truck Simulator 2 quickly issued a patch a day 1 patch, denying virtual European truckers access to the country. 

In a statement from the SCS Software the game's lead designer, James Oak, said that the company believed that it would be "dishonest to the game's subject matter" to keeping Britain, a country that is now leaving the EU, inside the European cargo haulage simulator.   

James Oak later stated that the company did plan to include Britain in a new iteration of the game that is currently under the working title "British" Truck Simulator, with plans to bring VR support to the series as well as improved "rain physics" and enhanced "Left hand Drive" mechanics. 

EDIT: Excuse me, this is complete satire lmao

• Thumbs Up 5

42 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Ryanair just announced on the news that they won't be investing in the UK for the next 2 years.

Pretrol stations just announced that prices will go up immediately due to the fall of the pound.

Airbus has also confirmed they won't be investing for a while.

As have a number of American banks.

Good God, it just keeps getting better.

A lot of folks on both sides of the pond think it's just hysteria but... I think it's pretty obvious that there will be long-term damage from this. Yes, things will probably get better from this recent low point (no different than when a stock tanks and recovers once the initial panic selling passes), but I don't think Britain's going to be as well off without the EU as was assumed.

For now, the speculation commences on how far the pound and British stocks will fall before people start buying in, eager to make a profit off the chaos in the Isles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know that maybe i should read the first page, but who was the genius who had the Brexit idea?

Well, there have always been people who've had problems with the EU, but the person who is ultimately responsible for this happening is the Prime Minister, David Cameron, who included renegotiation of our terms of membership with the EU and a subsequent referendum on our continuing EU membership in his Conservative Party's election manifesto on condition of their winning the 2015 general election.  Short version: Cameron said he'd hold a referendum, he did, and he never really expected that we might actually leave.  The champions of the Brexit or Leave side, though, are Nigel Farage, leader of the right-wing UK Independence Party, and Boris Johnson, former Conservative mayor of London, would-be Prime Minister, and kind of the British equivalent of Donald Trump (silly hair, privileged background, first and foremost a celebrity, buffoon).

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Neon said:

Have to say I'm really disappointed in my country at the moment, a campaign based on outright lies and hyperbole has won.

You know, it's funny. Both sides of the matter manage to say the exact same things about each other. It must be easy to condense the opposition as being nothing more than that.

• Thumbs Up 1