Awoo.

Regarding the Dreamcast & Gamecube versions of SA1 and SA2...

Leon K Fox

Yeah, if graphical differences like this exist, then I'd recommend checking out the Dreamcast version.

I'm not crapping all over the Gamecube version, in fact I'm happy it brought SA to a larger audience and created more Sonic fans. But in the sense that some believe the GC version is superior, I think this comparison shows that to not be true.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leon K Fox

• Dreadknux

• Barry the Nomad

• Arrow

I REALLY don't see how pointing out a technical flaw in the game's coding (i.e. the framerate) is a matter of opinion.

It's how one is affected by it. One could say the framerate is annoying, or even causes problems. Others though may not be so phased by it, or may not even notice it.

So you're saying that reviewers should just shut up and make happy with every game they review? Wow. One minute game reviewers aren't thorough enough when they write their copy, the next they bring up all these silly insignificant "glitches" and "technical issues" and "loading times" and "collision detection problems" that only aims to be 'harsh'.

It's not so much that they are there that's individual, it's how the individual is affected by them personally.

I'm not crapping all over the Gamecube version, in fact I'm happy it brought SA to a larger audience and created more Sonic fans. But in the sense that some believe the GC version is superior, I think this comparison shows that to not be true.

I fail to see where the matter of personal preference escaped this topic. :blink:

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

You're welcome? After having a go at me for God knows how many pages? Have a go at someone who has actually played both games and knows what he's talking about when you disagree, then completely ignore his wisdom when it turns out to be true. Thanks guys.

Having a go at you? Oh come off it :rolleyes: I will admit I did get a bit funny in that "I got a dreamcast" thread in one post, but that's it, and I apologised for that as well, so stop over reacting. XD

Edited by Leon K Fox

You're welcome? After having a go at me for God knows how many pages? Have a go at someone who has actually played both games and knows what he's talking about when you disagree, then completely ignore his wisdom when it turns out to be true. Thanks guys.

I REALLY don't see how pointing out a technical flaw in the game's coding (i.e. the framerate) is a matter of opinion.

Would you buy a car without an airbag? Sure, you might never get to be in accident that requires the use of one, but hey! Use of the car is very individual, so by all means car reviewers and safety chiefs should highly recommend it!

=P

So you're saying that reviewers should just shut up and make happy with every game they review? Wow. One minute game reviewers aren't thorough enough when they write their copy, the next they bring up all these silly insignificant "glitches" and "technical issues" and "loading times" and "collision detection problems" that only aims to be 'harsh'.

How, exactly? The console has no impact on whether the game is actually any good or not. By that instance, I can say that Patapon is crap because the PSP isn't selling too well.

That analogy makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The image or brand of consoles shouldn't come into a comparison of two games. That's total fanboy nonsense and a fallacy.

Essentially what you're saying is: it's OK to say that SADX is better than SA1, even though one has never played both games. lolwut? From your response to Doctor Eggman, it's clear that you've never even played both titles, so your argument falls flat entirely.

Comparisons cannot be drawn on the experience of one game alone. That goes against the whole point of a 'comparison', right? Talking about consoles or anything else is a complete strawman, and no amount of bizarre logic you throw is ever going to change that.

But surely it's all opinion, right? :rolleyes:

It's how one is affected by it. One could say the framerate is annoying, or even causes problems. Others though may not be so phased by it, or may not even notice it.

It's not so much that they are there that's individual, it's how the individual is affected by them personally.

I fail to see where the matter of personal preference escaped this topic. :blink:

What Virgo said.

Essentially what you're saying is: it's OK to say that SADX is better than SA1, even though one has never played both games. lolwut? From your response to Doctor Eggman, it's clear that you've never even played both titles, so your argument falls flat entirely.

Comparisons cannot be drawn on the experience of one game alone. That goes against the whole point of a 'comparison', right? Talking about consoles or anything else is a complete strawman, and no amount of bizarre logic you throw is ever going to change that.

I didn't say that at all. I've not played DX. But it's not relevant, because I'm not claiming it's better. I'm just saying a flaw in the game does not irritate everyone on the same level, as proven by the fact that an individual didn't even NOTICE it. But your response to that is just odd ..."That's why reviews help." Eh?

Again, I'm not saying that at all. A review is a personal opinion, though. And pointing out factual flaws doesn't change the fact that different people will experience them differently. I review roller coasters and I'm incredibly harsh of a lapse in themeing or a misplaced G... But I don't then criticise people who didn't notice it and point them in the direction of my helpful reivew. It's an opinion.

(Or, if I do, I'm not being serious.)

Maybe I've misunderstood you, because it just sounded like you were being arrogant about it.

Edited by Arrow

I didn't notice those differences until you brought it up...

*goes to craigslist and buys Sega Dreamcast*

I had absolutely no framerate issues whatsoever.

I never had any frame rate problems with the GC and PC version of SA either. And Yes I own a dreamcast along with SA1/SA2. I prefer the GC/PC version because of the frame rate. I hardly run into the problems that everyone else seem to always get :\

Well they did add Metal Sonic as an unlockable for Sonic's levels. Super Sonic would have been better, but Metal was cool too.

Metal Sonic was nothing more than a re-textured Sonic and not worth getting all the emblems for it. This is why:

2lux9i0.jpg

He's just Sonic with a paint job in this game >_>

You know how Metal Sonic switches from floating to running at high seeds? There are people over at Sonic Retro who are able to fix it in the PC version by having him use the Light Speed Dash animation instead.

Well, I can't deny that the DX graphics are far worse than the originals', but it still doesn't feel worth getting another console just for better graphics. Especially when said better graphics are dated by today's standards. And since the framerate issues are nonexistent to me, it makes it even less worthwhile.

Edited by SuperStingray

Well, I can't deny that the DX graphics are far worse than the originals', but it still doesn't feel worth getting another console just for better graphics. Especially when said better graphics are dated by today's standards. And since the framerate issues are nonexistent to me, it makes it even less worthwhile.

There are dozens of reasons to get a Dreamcast besides the graphically superior Sonic Adventure! Here are a few:

-The low price

- The exclusive games (Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Power Stone 1&2, Samba de Amigo with TRUE maraca control, Cool Cool Toon, Seaman and many more)

- Quality 480p VGA output

- VMUs!!!

- Internet capabilities

- Microphone capabilities (Seaman!)