Awoo.

Sonic R 2

Storm Dankers

Yeah I know just by looking at the title its something that will never happen but dang it this dream i have wont die lol, no but for serious how awesome would it be to have a second Sonic R it would be amazing.

Okay yes the first one had a lot of flaws to it but if re worked it can be a fun racing game and there are the car ones and the rider series but those aren't as good as the potential there was for Sonic R. So here are some of my ideas I have for Sonic R 2.

Sonic R  2 can have better tracks and way more than just five, every track can be based around a level from sonic's past re designed for racing (think Sonic generations meets the all stars racing sonic levels) with routes that are designed for certain characters like speed characters can only go through a certain path that flight and power characters cant and so on for them. There would be one special coin through out the levels that would unlock classic levels that are redesigned from the first one.

There would be a lot more characters in the game insisting of Shadow, Sliver, Blaze, Cream, Rouge, Team Chaotic, and etc, with returning characters as well like Metal Knuckles and Tails Doll. The Characters would all have different stats and would be unlocked like the first one game handled it with the five coins throughout the levels. The Music would have the same from the first game that are remixed differently, (again like how generations did) with original and other remixed pieces.

Those are just some thoughts on a sequel to Sonic R and I would love to see it who agrees with me on this.

Sonic R (J) pals.jpg

I'd just like to say that the concept for Sonic R is absolutely the MOST AMAZING idea for a Sonic party game you could make, but of course the execution was lacking. When you think Sonic you think going fast, so obviously a Sonic racing game is an inevitability that we've has come true many times. S&ASR: Transformed is (imo) the best Sonic racing game we've got, and the closest thing to a perfect Sonic-based party game, but the fact that it's a mechanically different game that happens to feature the Sonic cast. I really, REALLY want a racing game that feels like Sonic in aesthetic, sound, and most importantly game mechanics.

Personally speaking I don't want a game that takes too much inspiration from the first Sonic R, but rather a game that takes its good concepts and does something more like the Action Race battle mode from SA2B. I want a game that takes legitimate Sonic levels and lets several players run and race each other throughout. Of course unlike SA2, and actually more like Sonic R, the levels need to have several paths so players don't have to try to step over each other just to advance. Of course, stepping over--and attacking--each other should be an offensive or defensive choice of play.

Also, ditch SA2B's super abilities for more Mario Kart style power ups. Some of these can be laid out on the "track" like in MK or the ASR games but I'd prefer if many of them were put into spots where players had to go out of their way to grab them from item containers, whether these be in shortcuts or actually longer routes.

I love, LOVE SA2B's Action Race battles and, again, something similar to them would be the perfect Sonic party game for me.

(Also I would recommend going through the original post and making it more readable by fixing grammar, not making it a wall of text, etc. Ngl it was really hard to read. Don't take this personally, I'm just trying to make the SSMB experience better for everyone.)

Yes, a Sonic R2 would be fantastic. Better controls, better course design, better...music(I guess?), and a lot more tracks to race on.

In regards to controls it would be best to take bits from the main games, we don't need characters controlling like a car either ala: Sonic Unleashed style. More interactive stage pieces, similar to Sonic Rivals. Items could also add something, like lighting shield's double jump, a board, offensive items also like in Rivals, and invincibility for stage hazards. Collecting enough rings allows character specific abilities, not for opening up alternative routes.

Come to think of it, aren't the Sonic Rivals games sort of a Sonic R 2 and 3? I mean yeah they're a lot different but I feel like the premise is basically the same.

A game very similar to it, with more than 2 players, and in 3D would be fantastic.

Also I wonder if Sonic Team naming all the racing games titles using Rs (Riders, Rivals) was intentional... =w=

It's funny, I've been thinking about this lately.

A Sonic R game with the speed/power/fly mechanics from the Riders game could work really well with Boost gameplay, that's essentially a racing game mechanic. Have Sonic be the fastest, but the speed routes are the longest around the track (with possibly the Unwiished Boost meter), Tails can fly over obstacles and get to secret routes a la Adventure 1, Knuckles can break shit for shortcuts and go underground a la Drill wisp for shortcuts...

Having three types of characters means that you can just fit in others with stat changes (or even something a bit more interesting, like Blaze's floaty physics from her Gens mod could be used to cheese the occasional fly character skip, or Shadow could break things only power characters can). 

Sonic R2 could be cool if done right. But a Third All-Star racing game would be great too.

Given my nostalgia with the first game, I wouldn't mind a sequel at all. Hell, I wouldn't mind just rereleasing the original if they added a few more levels and balanced the character stats.

I've toyed with the idea of a second Sonic foot-racing game in the past.  I think it would be pretty neat if it incorporated gameplay elements from the mainline Sonic games as well as had a bit of a Mario Kart/Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing touch to it.  Basically you're on foot, but you items you can use to make life miserable for other racers.  But of course, being on foot, it would be a little easier to dodge and even potentially counter-attack.

If done well, it could be a pretty fun game.  Not likely to happen anytime soon, unfortunately, and it's admittedly lower on my list of priorities in terms of things I'd like to see from the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic R's the sort of game that works well because of the limitations of its platform, I'd be worried if they did it today they'd go overboard and make it too much like every other modern cart racer.  Sonic R was awesome because it actually felt like you were running through a 3D version of the Genesis games.

Now I want to go digging through all my old CDs, I wonder if it works on Windows 7...

• Thumbs Up 1

I always wondered why SEGA hasn't ever cracked down on this since it's seemingly a no brainer and be their "true" answer to Mario Kart racing (despite how good the All Star Racing games are). 

I'd figure they'd take the good conceptual ideas of Sonic R but mainly just go the SA2B route such as the way it handles and it being more of a race to the goal ring this time around instead of laps, but with an actual map. Also with added things like it at least being 1-4 player/online, a campaign and mission mode for single player, plentiful amount of levels, characters and costumes to unlock/buy, allowing every character to race each other and without neutering their abilities, and also have the power ups and rings balanced and enough that accounts for all players on the map to get.

I'd like to see things like parkour, wall climbing, water running and even mini underwater sections within levels happen in Sonic R 2, but realistically I don't see SEGA doing any of this anytime soon.

The funny thing is, Boost gameplay feels like it's more suited to racing than actual platforming, and that only seems to be emphasized more by the fact they basically made a boss battle around it in Generations. Can we just get that in multiplayer form? I'd like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

The funny thing is, Boost gameplay feels like it's more suited to racing than actual platforming, and that only seems to be emphasized more by the fact they basically made a boss battle around it in Generations. Can we just get that in multiplayer form? I'd like that.

I always thought the Wii version version of Unleashed in particular took inspiration from Sonic R in terms of movement, which explains why Sonic controls like such a clunky mess and can't easily move in four basic directions.  Makes me wonder if they had plans to take the idea further... or maybe it's just an isolated coincidence in bad game design. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/30/2016 at 2:47 PM, Tara said:

I've toyed with the idea of a second Sonic foot-racing game in the past.  I think it would be pretty neat if it incorporated gameplay elements from the mainline Sonic games as well as had a bit of a Mario Kart/Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing touch to it.  Basically you're on foot, but you items you can use to make life miserable for other racers.  But of course, being on foot, it would be a little easier to dodge and even potentially counter-attack.

If done well, it could be a pretty fun game.  Not likely to happen anytime soon, unfortunately, and it's admittedly lower on my list of priorities in terms of things I'd like to see from the series.

So Sonic Rivals meets Sonic Adventure 2 Battle multiplayer? That could be a lot of fun actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a 3D Sonic Rivals with POWERUPS and more than 2 charas per stage? Also, I want Sonic R 2 to happen.