Awoo.

Sonic FriPM - SSMB's Official/Unofficial SatAM Stream (Every Friday!)

Ryannumber1gamer

Oh. May want to consider adjusting the date, as July 22 is the anniversary party stream with the new game reveal. A lot of folks are going to want to tune into that.

That being said, beyond that, I'm excited to see some SatAM. It's my favorite Sonic cartoon series, so I'll try to tune into this one when possible!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Oh. May want to consider adjusting the date, as July 22 is the anniversary party stream with the new game reveal. A lot of folks are going to want to tune into that.

That being said, beyond that, I'm excited to see some SatAM. It's my favorite Sonic cartoon series, so I'll try to tune into this one when possible!

What time is the stream, as I could probably work around it, and even stream it for SSMB.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

What time is the stream, as I could probably work around it, and even stream it for SSMB.

6-10pm PDT

Maybe it can work after all. I think that translates to 9pm EST

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

6-10pm PDT

According to Google, that's 1am in the morning in GMT, which would come out to around 8pm EST, so it should be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, EST is 3 hours ahead of PDT. Therefore, it would be 9:00 PM EST.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright everyone, it's time to discuss the full plans for FriPM! So let's do this.

The full schedule is as follows:

22nd July 2016 on Motobug

9:00pm GMT/4:00pm EST: Sonic Musical Pre-Show

10:00pm GMT/5:00pm EST: Movie Night/FriPM Presents: Sonic OVA 

11:00pm GMT/6:00pm EST: FriPM's Official Debut

2am GMT/9pm EST: Sonic 25th Birthday Party Anniversary

The episodes being aired on FriPM are as follows:

Episode 1: Head Or Tails:

Dr. Robotnik has taken control of the Planet Mobius, and using an invention created by Sonic's Uncle Chuck, transforms all of the citizens of Mobius into loyal robotic minions, including Sonic's Uncle and his dog Muttski. Sonic joins up with a band of Freedom Fighters in order to fight against Robotnik and take back the city of Mobotropolis, and Mobius, freeing all of the robotized minions.

In this premiere episode, Dr. Robotnik is planning a full scale assault on the forest in which the Freedom Fighters' secret base of operations is found, Knothole. Sonic decides to go on a mission into the robotized city of Robotropolis in order to find parts to allow Rotor The Walrus to create a new defense system for Knothole. However, Sonic gets more than he bargained for when the young Tails joins along with him. It's up to him to find the defense pieces and keep Tails safe from the SWAT-Bots guarding Robotropolis. 

Episode 2: Sonic Boom

Sonic and Sally decide to lead two separate missions against Robotnik. Sally has gotten a lead about her missing, and possibly dead father that Robotnik banished to the No-Zone quite a while ago. Helping her is the cowardly french guard Antoine D'Coolette. Meanwhile, Sonic goes on a separate mission to help a Freedom Fighter after they've been captured while on a mission.

Episode 3: Sonic and Sally

During a mission with all of the freedom fighters in Mobotropolis, Sally ends up in danger, and none of the other Freedom Fighters know what happened to her. Hours later, she reappears completely fine, and no worse for wear, without any explanation as to what actually happened to her. While the other Freedom Fighters buy it, Tails begins to notice some very strange things about his "Aunt Sally" after she returns. As it turns out, this Sally is a robotic fake, the first in the line of auto-automation and is loyal to Robotnik, and leading the Freedom Fighters into a trap while Robotnik plans to robotize the real Sally. Can Tails warn the other Freedom Fighters in time, and help save the real Sally, or will the fake Sally manage to pull off a good enough impersonation until it's too late?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wooo, the first debut of FriPM, and the OVA seemed to be a hit, with over 40 people watching it! It went really well, and it was overall pretty fun! 

As for next week, here's the episodes we're gonna be watching!

Episode 4: Ultra Sonic:

After Sonic and the Freedom Fighters accidentally screw up a mission in Robotropolis, Sonic stumbles upon his Uncle Chuck, the original creator of the roboticizer, who created it for medical purposes. However, when Sonic tries to talk to him, he learns that Uncle Chuck's mind is loyal to Robotnik, as he was one of the mobians robotiziced by Robotnik. The Freedom Fighters need to get out of the city, but Sonic is absolutely desperate to restore Chuck's mind. Can he do it, or will Sonic be captured by his very own uncle?

Episode 5: Sonic and the Secret Scrolls:

Sonic and the Freedom Fighters find themselves on one of their strangest missions yet. After they hear of a group of magical scrolls with the potential to grant the user unlimited power. Realizing how potentially dangerous this crystal could be in the wrong hands, they head out in order to acquire it before their enemies gets the chance to use it.

Episode 6: Super Sonic

The Freedom Fighters embark on a new mission after learning of a magical crystal that grant the user unlimited magical power. However, Robotnik also wants the crystal for himself. When things look bad, Robotnik manages to acquire the crystal, and brainwash Sally and Bunnie to be loyal to him, things takes a further nose dive as Sonic stumbles upon a wizard who steals Sonic's speed, and won't restore it unless he returns with the crystal It's now up to Sonic to break into Robotropolis without his speed, free Bunnie and Sally from Robotnik's mind control, and retake the crystal before Robotnik can use it's power to give himself absolute rule.

• Thumbs Up 1

NOTICE: FriPM will be on break between Friday 4th August to Friday 12th August. That means a two week hiatus for FriPM. Apologies! 

Confirming that FriPM will be back tomorrow with the next three episodes!

Episode 7: Sonic Racer

In an attempt to trick Sonic, Robotnik tries to play to his ego by hosting a race in Robotropolis. While Sonic's busy partaking in the race, the other freedom fighters attempt to use this to their advantage by destroying one of Robotropolis' power generators while Robotnik's distracted. Can they succeed before Robotnik manages to use the race to capture Sonic?

Episode 8: Hooked on Sonics

After realizing that Sonic has him outmatched in basically every aspect that Sally might like in a boyfriend, Antoine goes on a mad quest to prove to Sally and the other freedom fighters that he's superior to Sonic, leading him to attempt a lone attack on Robotnik and Robotropolis. The lone problem is Antoine's a coward with no fighting experience. Can he make it out alive?

Episode 9: Harmonic Sonic

Robotnik comes up with a new plan in order to destroy the freedom fighters. He manages to create a very advanced spy satellite into space that would allow him to easily detect the location of Knothole Village, and perform an attack that would wipe out the freedom fighters. With very little time left to spare, Sonic and Rotor work together in order to try create a rocket and get it into space in order to stop the satellite before their location is found out. Can they make it in time, or will Knothole be reduced to ashes? 

16 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh man, tomorrow is really going to be the weird session isn't it. 

Oh yes it is :U

But on the bright side, we can get this show's version of Leo Luster, Antoine!

Tomorrow's episodes:

Episode 10: Sonic's Nightmare

Sonic begins to have a recurring nightmare that increases his own personal fears, including Sally getting roboticized and his own attempts at saving them failing on a grand scale due to being too headstrong. Meanwhile, Robotnik manages to create a doomday machine capable of destroying an entirely planet of people by infecting clouds with chemicals in order to create toxic rain. Sonic must get over his own personal fears in order to stop Robotnik's plans. Can he do it?

Episode 11: Warp Sonic

After a mission, Sonic and the Freedom Fighters accidentally stumble upon a secret village filled with refugees from Mobotropolis who managed to escape Robotnik's attack and domination of the world. When the Freedom Fighters end up down here, they must deal with the refugee village being attacked while also coming to terms with their own personal relationships.

Episode 12: Sub-Sonic

Sonic and the rest of the Freedom Fighters discovers that their hiding place, the Great Forest is dying, and if it isn't stopped soon, that Knothole will remain unhidden, and easy for Robotnik to find. In order to help the trees get healthy again, Sonic goes on an adventure to try track down a mysterious type of water that supposedly holds the power to grow plants quicker. Can he find it before Knothole is found by Robotnik?

Alright, time to confirm things. For those who didn't look in the main Motobug thread, there's a schedule laid out for FriPM. 

2nd September: Episodes 13-15 (Season 1 Finale, and Season 2 Opening)

9th September: Episodes 16-18

16th September: Episodes 19-22 (4 Episodes) 

23rd September: Episodes 23-26 (4 Episodes) (Finale) 

So yep, FriPM is ending this month, but that's to be expected from a short series like SatAM.

So you might be wondering if there's anything next. Yes. There is. There's going to be a teaser trailer for what's coming up next in my current project, The Sonic Musical Spectacular. Since it's a three way celebration of Sonic, Motobug, and SSMB in general, I am gonna be including the teaser for what's next in my streaming antics, as well as a few other surprises!

Keep an eye on the thread as I'll have the next three episodes post up soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Ryan, you completely missed an opportunity last night. You know how you put up some Phelous episodes after the stream last night? Well, one of his other episodes, the Ghostbusters retrospective post-Q5, has some clips of the story editors in that era to fit in with what he says about J. Michael Straczynski (the really passionate writer) being replaced.

X87nHjF.png

Len Jansen there wrote two of the Antoine episode segments from last night, several episodes in season 1 and was the story editor for SatAM throughout!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well. Looks like he has a habit of writing shit that panders to stupid executive decisions lol.

Perhaps but I think the show downgraded as much due to Ben Hurst and Pat Allee writing nearly all of Season Two and bending it to all their favourite concepts and characters (eg. Sonic and Antoine being flanderized, Sally being promoted to semi lead and being simplified to her positive traits, Robotnik meshing badly due to a more contrived backstory but with a more incompetent, compulsively evil personality, DULCY). Len Jansen didn't seem to help in that regard, but he at least helped set up a lot of the original concepts and wrote some of the more rounded Season One episodes.

I'd be inclined to agree there. Sure, Len Jansen's two season 2 half-episodes are considered some of the worst, but I think that was more because he was trying to make the writing fit around both Hurst/Allee's ideas and to comply with the network simultaneously. He wrote the pilot which was a lot heavier on the game elements and something I would actually have been interested in watching (aside from the one joke about Tails needing to pee), he wrote Sonic Boom which kick-started the pathos, and he wrote Sonic Racer which...I really didn't like but it's nowhere near as aggravating for me as any of the season 2 stuff, or even some episodes of season 1. 

Essentially, Jansen seems like a guy who knows how to write to within whatever restrictions he has (even if he doesn't like it), and the quality of his writing is almost proportionate to what he has to work with. He's no Justin Gabrie by any means. 

Being reminded of that, I'm mixed about Sonic Boom (the episode of course, not the show....or the music track...or the album....) as I think it was about the one time in Season One it replicated Season Two's problem of trying to be more dark and elaborate than it's corny writing would allow (is no one REALLY off put by how Sally and Antoine don't give a shit about losing their redshirt friend or even trying to save him before it was too late, said redshirt friend who sacrificed himself for them I might add? Even Sonic laughs it off at the end). The pilot I thought was great however and had a good balance of moods, characters and action and Sonic Racer was a decent episode (and about the one time Sonic wasn't made to look like an imbecile for being himself rather than following Sally's 'slow and steady' direction).

I think Season One benefited from having many writers at the helm, even if it made things a little inconsistent at times, since they would take turns at different ideas and characters and look at their core personality in different ways. When two writers took over most of the show, things got too streamlined and aspects were falling apart because they couldn't fully develop them. If they could have gotten a full enough team to cooperate with a continuity based story, Season Two might have been something to behold.

I didn't say it was a good episode, but it did pave the way for other writers to do more with the idea (namely talking about Ultra Sonic). 

Fair enough. Sonic Racer also gave softer pathos to Sally, it was one of the clear times she broke from just being pushy to Sonic, she was clearly just worried sick about him. Sonic was also at least a teeny bit softer and less obnoxious in that case.

Reminder that the series finale for FriPM is tomorrow at the usual time!

The teaser for the next series will be shown at the end of the Musical Spectacular