Awoo.

Nintendo Developer Portal "Open to EVERYONE"

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

In an effort to open the gateway further for numerous striving developers, no not even just indies, in the latest update to the Nintendo Dev Portal Nintendo have merged their dev programs and made them available to practically ANYONE (well of legal age) to use, yes even if you aren't a seasoned  at their disposal here for usages of 3DS and Wii U:

https://developer.nintendo.com/

Details courtesy of GAF

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244056

Nintendo Dev Portal | 7.8.2016 Update: different layout, "all programs merged in one" #1
The brand new Nintendo Dev Portal was down a few hours ago for maintenance, and now it's back...with some differencies compared to its initial look

https://developer.nintendo.com/home

This is how it looked before the update

https://web.archive.org/web/20160315...tendo.com/home

The main page went under some look and this should be the biggest recent change. At least, what Nintendo itself highlights as major news

2016.07.07 - Nintendo has merged all of its developer programs into a single worldwide portal. Registration is open to all, with access provided shortly afterwards.

Also, there's a FAQ section

https://developer.nintendo.com/faq

Do I need to be of legal age to register?
Yes. Unfortunately, minors cannot register for the Nintendo Developer Portal.

Do I have to be a company or have a certain level of development experience?
No, the Nintendo Developer Portal is for anyone interested in developing software for Nintendo platforms. No prior development experience is required.

How does publishing my content on the Nintendo eShop work? Who gets to control the price, release date and promotional materials?
As the developer, the price, release date and content are all set by you.

Is this Nintendo’s indie developer program?
No, this is Nintendo’s one and only developer program. The Nintendo Developer Portal is for all Nintendo developers regardless of their size or experience.

How much does it cost to develop on Nintendo platforms?
Registering for the portal and downloading the tools is completely free, and if you’re releasing a digital title you can use the IARC system for age rating for no fee. All that’s left is the cost of acquiring development hardware which you can find out about inside of the portal.

Can I use this portal to release a physical product or is this just for digital titles?
Yes, this is Nintendo’s one and only developer program, if you’re interested in retail publishing then you’re in the right place too.

Can I work from home?
Yes, we accept home offices, you don’t need a business address.

How do I obtain Unity for Wii U/New Nintendo 3DS?
After registering for the portal, the Unity middleware can be downloaded from the website free of charge, see Getting Started within the portal for more information on Unity for Wii U and New Nintendo 3DS.

Older thread for reference

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125554

Summoning a doggie as we're speaking so I apologize to my fans if old

P.S. The Nintendo Dev Interface has a logo now, here it is.

6a85897a-85c7-43aa-b080-5f853e842647?t=1

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically they are showing they are willing to let any game developer of any size release on the NX, and that bodes well

1 hour ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

Wow, it sucks that minors aren't allowed. I mean seriously, why? Shouldn't it be based on game quality? I mean, the bank account thing shouldn't be a problem either since it's legal for us to have bank accounts as long as it's a sub of our parent's account so what's the big deal?

How many minors can you think of off the top of your head who are mature, intelligent, and skilled enough to be able to make, improve, and market their games, and do it well?

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

None. And It's going to stay that way if they never get a chance to prove it. I just see it as Ageism tbh

I dont think the implications for this is because of age, really. More so because of legal laws related to selling and distributing products and I don't think the US wants minors selling and getting money all by themselves. If there's a legal guardian backing the project you can probably loop through it.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Chili Dawg said:

Let's make an SSMB game because we can!

I'd like to see an SSMB RPG game. 

None. And It's going to stay that way if they never get a chance to prove it. I just see it as Ageism tbh

There's always steam greenlight.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

I'd like to see an SSMB RPG game. 

Paper SSMB

Spoiler

sticker splash

• Thumbs Up 7

How exactly would that happen? Would I just sign up and have my dad do all the legal stuff while I just make the game? I wish there was more info on the page about what exactly happens once you sign up

Probably consult someone in the gaming industry or probably someone knowledgeable about law regarding it. That probably is what might happen but your dad will be the one who pretty much owns the game and has the legal right to sell or not sell it, versus you not having that. Also, taxes.

This sounds awsome. Definately going to look into this. Just got to figure out what type of game I want to make now.=)