Awoo.

Characters Sonic should be teamed up with in a future adventure

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I actually want to see him be playable again; just no dummy rings or being confined to robots

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Remember when Tails actually used his tails to fly and attack things, and he didn't stay behind to do tech stuff in the background?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Classic Tails: He carries how many? Wow. Where does he put all those gold rings?

Modern Tails: I don't know. I keep forgetting to ask.

Me:... You used to carry them too  motherfucker.

God, I still remember the advertisments for Sonic 4: Episode II. You can play as Tails again... interconnected with Sonic. Okay fine, he can be in the two-player but that's it. We can't piss off the critics.

Most fun I've had with Tails in recent memory was... Rise of Lyric. That's... unfortunate. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

But seriously, if we're talking about gameplay possibilities, then my answer is kind of the same-ish? It's gonna depend upon the type of gameplay we're even allowed to have. Classic style? Just pad the roster with whomever; it literally doesn't matter. 06/Adventure/some sort of significant augment to the base gameplay is allowed? I'd want to see characters who are able to either deviate the most from the basic style or add a unique twist onto the actions being performed. Silver can basically rearrange levels to his own whim. Shadow can teleport and blow the shit out of things. Espio can turn invisible and sneak around and shit. Gather the characters with the most interesting or unique abilities and let them loose.

All of this. I'd love to see a classic style game that just literally has everybody because why the hell not? Just use them as reskins of the big 3 (Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles) because ultimately the gameplay will always be similar and you don't have to worry about changing the level design at all.

But for 3D games? Absolutely get some different styles going. My favorite thing about the Adventure games (including 06) is the diversity of gameplay. Give me more of Eggman in his mech playing like Gamma or maybe just give me Omega. Show off the unique abilities of Team Chaotix. Show me how different Silver and Shadow are from Sonic. Bring back the treasure hunting of Rouge and give Knuckles some sort of brawler stages like more fast paced versions of Unleashed's Werehog stages. There's such a large and amazing cast of characters that could lead to all kinds of fun and unique stuff.

But for the love of Sega don't bring back the fishing stages lol. I love Big as a character, you can have him in there...but there's a reason I didn't buy Sega Bass Fishing and the last thing I need is for it to be in my Sonic games haha.

1 hour ago, BradAric said:

All of this. I'd love to see a classic style game that just literally has everybody because why the hell not? Just use them as reskins of the big 3 (Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles) because ultimately the gameplay will always be similar and you don't have to worry about changing the level design at all.

I'd kind of like to see at least one 3D game try that though. If they needed to change the level design then just make certain alternate paths available for the power and flight types. 

Just one. Just one game like that and I won't ask for it anymore. I promise.

Just now, Dr. Chaotix said:

I'd kind of like to see at least one 3D game try that though. If they needed to change the level design then just make certain alternate paths available for the power and flight types. 

Just one. Just one game like that and I won't ask for it anymore. I promise.

I certainly wouldn't mind this...anything to get more characters back into the franchise. The thing that has most disappointed me about modern Sonic games is their lack of characters. As someone who started with SA2 and soon followed with SA1 and Heroes, I love an abundance of characters, a relatively dark story, and diversity of gameplay. I love the classic and modern styles as well though, so if I could get just one of those things back and fuse it with one or both of the other styles, I'd definitely be down for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the classic-style gameplay should still have some variety.  The problem is that the classic games and the Advance games never really gave us much incentive to choose a character other than the ones that could fly.  They could literally could do all the things Sonic could do and more, making the title character seem kind of redundant.  I'd rather the characters be meaningful and not just padding, regardless of the gameplay style.  Though I mean, even that is preferable to the Sonic-only we've been getting lately from the non-Boom games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tbh I want a Sonic game that has "buddy moves" like Sonic 4! I actually really enjoyed Episode 2 because of it and, although the game isn't really a good classic Sonic game, I thought the moves Sonic and Tails used together made the game totally worth playing.

I want a game, any game, that let's Sonic and Tails (or other characters but they aren't priority) actually act together, instead of the partner character just getting in the way trying to keep up.

You could argue that this was Advance 3's whole gimmick, but the actual buddy moves don't really add anything to the gameplay. They're just kind of... there.

I know the perfect way to make Sonic a fun and unique character to play as if another classic/Advance game were to be made, add Parkour.

BOOM! Problem solved.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tara said:

I think the classic-style gameplay should still have some variety.  The problem is that the classic games and the Advance games never really gave us much incentive to choose a character other than the ones that could fly.  They could literally could do all the things Sonic could do and more, making the title character seem kind of redundant.  I'd rather the characters be meaningful and not just padding, regardless of the gameplay style.  Though I mean, even that is preferable to the Sonic-only we've been getting lately from the non-Boom games.

Slight objection because I prefer to play Sonic in the classic games due to his higher speed and jump (especially compared to Knuckles), but broadly speaking, your point still stands.

As to the question this thread originally posited, I think a lot of people's suggestions sound really interesting, but I don't know about the idea of Sonic "teaming up" with one other non-Tails character for an entire game, at least if it's one of the major titles, because not everyone is going to like every niche character, and for those that don't, the fact that this character or group is being given such prominence might be a bit of a turn-off. Not to mention, people might be alienated that this character was chosen to team up with Sonic over their favorite. Sonic Rush or whatever is different because the character was new for the game. Maybe I'm being too picky, but eh. Switching up which characters have major roles between games seems like a good plan, but I guess having them specially "team up" with Sonic feels like it could be going too far depending on how you handle it.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Slight objection because I prefer to play Sonic in the classic games due to his higher speed and jump (especially compared to Knuckles), but broadly speaking, your point still stands.

Just as a counter point, the difference is small enough that I didn't even know that was a thing until reading your post just now lol. I always considered Sonic just a "hard" mode of sorts because he had no special abilities, didn't know he actually played differently in his core mechanics.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Soni said:

I know the perfect way to make Sonic a fun and unique character to play as if another classic/Advance game were to be made, add Parkour.

BOOM! Problem solved.

I feel like adding the ability to parkour in a sidescrolling Sonic game would be a bit redundant, mostly because the level design should feature enough slopes that allow you to run up walls anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

But I don't understand where that slight difference in speed and slight difference in vertical momentum makes up for characters that can literally fly.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, BradAric said:

Just as a counter point, the difference is small enough that I didn't even know that was a thing until reading your post just now lol. I always considered Sonic just a "hard" mode of sorts because he had no special abilities, didn't know he actually played differently in his core mechanics.

You've never noticed a difference in speed because there isn't one; everyone in 3&K has the same acceleration and top speed.

Knuckles does have a dinkier jump, though. Though it's really more to herd him into his own unique routes than something that affects how you approach the same obstacles, in most cases.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic & Knuckles 2 let's go.

They were a great compliment in S3K as they were restricted to two different paths usually, so just take that and amp it up a little. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Rush 3. I'm there.

Blaze has come up a few times in this topic and its easy to see why. She breeds a fast paced playstyle that can be similar to Sonic's while still playing with some of her own unique characteristics. Her character has good synergy with Sonic's from a campaign standpoint and an adventure with these two would span two dimensions, increasing the possibilities of running into new and/or outlandish concepts. She's a popular enough character to carry the role, she gets bonus points for being a female lead, and she's got a super form to match Sonic's. Its a no brainer to me.

Besides her, I could make a good argument for Metal Sonic. Having those two forced to work together would be something to see. As for a Dark Horse, how about Orbot and Cubot? Orbot floated the idea during Lost World, and while Cubots antics would probably get stale before zone 1 act 2, it would be pretty cool to see how long it takes for Orbot to unleash the SA-55 while under new leadership. 

Whoops, I just assumed Sonic could go faster for obvious reasons xD

...But in all honesty I really enjoy the moves he can do with the barriers, so the point sorta still stands?? I know gliding and flying are objectively more powerful, but the shield moves are more fun to me. That being said, they could definitely improve this in the future to make the characters more even.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Whoops, I just assumed Sonic could go faster for obvious reasons xD

...But in all honesty I really enjoy the moves he can do with the barriers, so the point sorta still stands?? I know gliding and flying are objectively more powerful, but the shield moves are more fun to me. That being said, they could definitely improve this in the future to make the characters more even.

Ah yes, I forget about the shield moves sometimes. The origin of the bounce bracelet, the dash attack, and a sweet double jump.

...damn S3&K is such a good game haha. If we got a game with a story and character diversity like Adventure 2 and level design like S3&K I'd be the happiest man alive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic teaming up with Tikal would sure be a sight to see.

What if he re-united with Mighty and Ray? And they meet the SegaSonic Bros. along the way?

I'd like to See Sonic together with Big. To my knowledge they've only exchanged words in Adventure when Chaos 6 absorbed Froggy. They're clearly together even though you don't see them during the boss fight. I like to imagine they're there working together, doing their thing.

I think it'd be so cool to see the fastest character forced to work with the slowest character. I'd like to see Sonic learn to slow down and be patient with Big. Plus they both love relaxing. It might make for some nice down time. They can both hip & hop together.

7IRB9RH.png

• Thumbs Up 1