Awoo.

The Nintendo Classic Mini, Official Plug and Play version of the NES. (Famicom Mini in Japan)

goku262002

~I'm not sure if we had a plug and play consoles topic around here, but I know we've discussed them before. please feel free to merge this if you can find a general, I had no luck in finding one.~

Nintendo Announces The Mini-NES, Will Play 30 Classic Games (Kotaku)

Posted Image

Looks like we might be playing Zelda this holiday after all—just not the one we expected.

Nintendo today announced the mini-NES, a new $60 machine that will come pre-installed with 30 classic Nintendo games. It'll also come with an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and what Nintendo is calling an NES Classic Controller, “patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller.”

Here's the full list of games, via Nintendo:

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS'N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby's Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

It'll be out in stores on November 11.

Pretty awesome, wonder if it'll allow additional games to be loaded?

• Thumbs Up 2

Plug and Play they say?

*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nintendoclassicmini&utm_content=announcement

Plug and Play-ish. it falls in the same family line of P&P consoles but yeah sucks about that AC adapter.

This sounds really cool, and something I'd love to get at launch. What's holding me back however is the fact Nintendo couldn't be bothered to include an plug for the console or a controller, instead wanting the user to pay additional money for both. 

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This sounds really cool, and something I'd love to get at launch. What's holding me back however is the fact Nintendo couldn't be bothered to include an plug for the console or a controller, instead wanting the user to pay additional money for both. 

It comes with a controller.

And NA will probably get an AC adapter.

You know, I feel like this is probably bound to sound sappy in some form, but I do like the idea of "reprinting" old consoles in this way when the demand is there. I mean sure there's always emulation and the Virtual Console, but the ability to play these games as they were originally intended, on the appropriate hardware and controllers, is an experience that only becomes more difficult and expensive the longer it goes out of production and old models start breaking down. It can really make the historical context to some people, you know? Now if only it could read actual NES carts.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah I'd love for this to have some perpetual to read old school NES and famicom carts so the library can expand on this. these are 30 great titles but 100s of more titles need to be experienced.

18 minutes ago, Marcello said:

It comes with a controller.

And NA will probably get an AC adapter.

Yeah, I ended up misreading the part about a second controller and thought it said you had to buy one lol.

This is awesome! Wow, the nostalgia! Let me check the game's list...

Hm.. no Duck Tales.

Pass.

1 minute ago, Diamond said:

Sooooo, its basically a NES with a limited ammount of games and HDMI support?

It's pretty much the same as most plug and play consoles. I remember a Mega Drive one that I loved that came installed with Sonic 2, Ooze, Columbs, Alex Kidd and Eccho was pretty good and all the games played perfectly like they did on the real console. Kinda miss it but I digress.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Komaru Naegi said:

It's pretty much the same as most plug and play consoles.

yeah save for the fact that this is HDMI and most P&P's are still using nasty composite cables.

I wonder if Nintendo's got a little team of its own on this or if they're just officially licensing a third party console.

The HDMI out is a really nice improvement over the composite mono connections you usually see on these clone systems. Since this is Nintendo we're dealing with, I'm willing to bet this'll run the games far more accurately than the various Mega Drive consoles by Atgames.

A cartridge/SD slot would've been nice but I can definitely see the appeal in this for both kids and adults. I'm loving the faithfulness of the console and controller and the box is just amazing.

If this gets a UK release then I'll most likely be picking one up!

On a side note, are they using the Wii remote's connector port for those controller inputs? I think the inside's are slightly different but it's a close match.

EDIT: I'm reading that the controllers actually WILL be able to plug into wiimotes, hence the "Classic Controller" labelling. Should be really fun on the virtual console!

5 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

yeah save for the fact that this is HDMI and most P&P's are still using nasty composite cables.

Yeah, I have an AT games Mega Drive that was released in the 2010's that uses them and connecting it to some TV's is a hassle so that's why this new P&P looks great, just hope it emulates well because I'll consider buying one. One thing I liked about the AT games Mega Drive is I can use Mega Drive cartidges, if this mini has that option to use them w/ HDMI cable that'd be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Joy said:

I wonder if Nintendo's got a little team of its own on this or if they're just officially licensing a third party console.

The HDMI out is a really nice improvement over the composite mono connections you usually see on these clone systems. Since this is Nintendo we're dealing with, I'm willing to bet this'll run the games far more accurately than the various Mega Drive consoles by Atgames.

A cartridge/SD slot would've been nice but I can definitely see the appeal in this for both kids and adults. I'm loving the faithfulness of the console and controller and the box is just amazing.

If this gets a UK release then I'll most likely be picking one up!

On a side note, are they using the Wii remote's connector port for those controller inputs? I think the inside's are slightly different but it's a close match.

It's getting a UK release. Nintendo UK has a full page up about it. Releases November 11th for us.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

You know, I feel like this is probably bound to sound sappy in some form, but I do like the idea of "reprinting" old consoles in this way when the demand is there. I mean sure there's always emulation and the Virtual Console, but the ability to play these games as they were originally intended, on the appropriate hardware and controllers, is an experience that only becomes more difficult and expensive the longer it goes out of production and old models start breaking down. It can really make the historical context to some people, you know? Now if only it could read actual NES carts.

I actually thought it could, and there is what appears to be a slot on it, but after reading things and looking it over, I noticed it doesn't actually mention that you can play old games. I just assumed that was such an obvious thing... Considering this has games pre-installed, though, I guess maybe that's not so easy...

The slot really threw me off. Its just a decoration, isn't it?

18 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's getting a UK release. Nintendo UK has a full page up about it. Releases November 11th for us.

Ah well then, I'll need to get some pennies ready!

16 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I actually thought it could, and there is what appears to be a slot on it, but after reading things and looking it over, I noticed it doesn't actually mention that you can play old games. I just assumed that was such an obvious thing... Considering this has games pre-installed, though, I guess maybe that's not so easy...

The slot really threw me off. Its just a decoration, isn't it?

The slot definitely seems to just be decoration and can't actually be opened:
CnUur6JWAAET3Wx.jpg

9 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The slot definitely seems to just be decoration and can't actually be opened:
CnUur6JWAAET3Wx.jpg

Its odd that they built in the tab that pulls it open (on the original console) and everything, if it doesn't actually open. I guess its for an authentic look?

I did realize that, obviously, that slot is too small to fit actual carts in, but it meshes perfectly with the black section, so I had assumed it was just lengthened and the end of it was in the black section. It wasn't until I saw this photo specifically (I did see it before you posted it) where it looked like the slot didn't actually open.

I mean, I saw the console on Twitter. When I saw it, I thought it was saying "play your old carts, oh, and it comes pre-packaged with 30 games!" But I guess its just 30 games period. Which is still a great deal, though. Those games average $4-$5 a piece on Wii U. And it comes with a controller that also works with Wii and Wii U Virtual Console.

1 hour ago, Komaru Naegi said:

It's pretty much the same as most plug and play consoles. I remember a Mega Drive one that I loved that came installed with Sonic 2, Ooze, Columbs, Alex Kidd and Eccho was pretty good and all the games played perfectly like they did on the real console. Kinda miss it but I digress.

I have this exact one :') The controller was red too. I'll never forget getting woken up on my (i think) 12th Birthday and being given it by my mum. Spent that entire birthday day playing it. It was like a Time machine back to the 90's :D Still have it. Still works. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The ability to play actual carts like with AtGames' Genesis console would've really sweetened the deal, but I can't complain about the selection it comes with.

Using the Wii Remote connectors is genius, though. And it's really cool to see that classic style of packaging return.

EDIT: They even brought back the old red-on-white Nintendo logo! I never expected to see that again.

I already got one of these in Christmas 2004 ;)

super_joy_iii_pir2.jpg

Nah, joking aside this is really cool! I'd like to see a version with a cartridge slot, but this is great to see for now. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't get into the plug-n-play business years ago when they were more popular.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Scott said:

I have this exact one :') The controller was red too. I'll never forget getting woken up on my (i think) 12th Birthday and being given it by my mum. Spent that entire birthday day playing it. It was like a Time machine back to the 90's :D Still have it. Still works. 

Oh! Awesome, glad someone else had it besides me. I may as well just get a regular Mega Drive but I don't know this plug and play system is super nostalgic to me, I'd love to have another one. Don't know where mine went when I moved from the UK to Australia, keep taking real good care of it for the both us! Going to see if I can find one online, it's a pretty old P&P system.

Talking about this has me wanting the new Nintendo one even more. It's criminal but...

Metroid is the only Nintendo series I've played, this P&P system looks like a good entry point, if I emulate I wouldn't play the games to completion :c since I got them for free and feel like nothing's wasted

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jango said:

This is awesome! Wow, the nostalgia! Let me check the game's list...

Hm.. no Duck Tales.

Pass.

You can play the superior version of Ducktales on the wii u, 360, PSN and steam

• Thumbs Up 1