Awoo.

The Nintendo Classic Mini, Official Plug and Play version of the NES. (Famicom Mini in Japan)

goku262002

Looks like the PAL Region version is kicking around too.

nintendo_classic_mini_nes_release_date__

Looks like there's going to be save states available for these games too!

Nintendo said players needn't worry about losing any hard-earned progress either because each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off easily.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/nintendo-classic-mini-nes-release-date-price-specs-games-features-3643473/

This is actually a nice novelty. It's got a controller that can be used for the Wii/Wii U. It's got a selection of mostly great games (apart from a couple of iffy ports), probably one of the finest that I've seen for a plug and play machine where they usually put a few not so good games to balance it out. I don't know why Nintendo chose Super Contra over the more known Contra though however both games are good or Castlevania 2 over 1 or 3. It works out cheaper than buying all 30 games off the Virtual Console or finding a console with all those games. It will be very interesting if Nintendo gets to make a SNES one or even a N64 one due to the success of this and the wording of the packaging on PAL units being Nintendo Classic Mini: X. If the price is right, I might get one.

My assumption is that I don't think this NES is a NES but rather an emulator based system rather like the inaccurate atGames Mega Drive consoles. Considering that this version of the console has the Wii Remote socket rather than the original socket and its smaller. Until November when the system comes out and people disect it, it's going to be either ARM (like the 3DS) or PowerPC (like the Wii/Wii U) and don't know which one it is going to be but do know that chances that it will (unless it is licensed from the various Famiclones that are around) use the Virtual Console emulation, the mention of savestates in the press release gives it away. So the games will look a bit darker if they use the Wii U one. While there are indeed NES mods for HDMI with the kevtris one being used and Famiclones that do have an HDMI output but weirdly expensive, Nintendo probably chose the simpler and safer option rather than reproduce NES/Famicom consoles and have to give support in case a certain game doesn't work. With the NES and Famiclones there are a few cases like that. Wonder if someone will be able to mod it and use a Nunchuk on the console as like a joystick.

41 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

This is actually a nice novelty. It's got a controller that can be used for the Wii/Wii U. It's got a selection of mostly great games (apart from a couple of iffy ports), probably one of the finest that I've seen for a plug and play machine where they usually put a few not so good games to balance it out. I don't know why Nintendo chose Super Contra over the more known Contra though however both games are good or Castlevania 2 over 1 or 3. It works out cheaper than buying all 30 games off the Virtual Console or finding a console with all those games. It will be very interesting if Nintendo gets to make a SNES one or even a N64 one due to the success of this and the wording of the packaging on PAL units being Nintendo Classic Mini: X. If the price is right, I might get one.

I take it you missed the fact that both Castlevania 1 and 2 are in this set? Its got Castlevania and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

Wait... Super C is Super Contra? I guess that makes sense. I was so confused about the game listed called "Super C."

I totally see an SNES one happen in the not so distant future. N64? Probably less likely overall.

41 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

My assumption is that I don't think this NES is a NES but rather an emulator based system rather like the inaccurate atGames Mega Drive consoles. Considering that this version of the console has the Wii Remote socket rather than the original socket and its smaller. Until November when the system comes out and people disect it, it's going to be either ARM (like the 3DS) or PowerPC (like the Wii/Wii U) and don't know which one it is going to be but do know that chances that it will (unless it is licensed from the various Famiclones that are around) use the Virtual Console emulation, the mention of savestates in the press release gives it away. So the games will look a bit darker if they use the Wii U one. While there are indeed NES mods for HDMI with the kevtris one being used and Famiclones that do have an HDMI output but weirdly expensive, Nintendo probably chose the simpler and safer option rather than reproduce NES/Famicom consoles and have to give support in case a certain game doesn't work. With the NES and Famiclones there are a few cases like that. Wonder if someone will be able to mod it and use a Nunchuk on the console as like a joystick.

That much was already obvious. It has a save state feature and everything.

People keep saying this has save states, but here's the paragraph talking about them:

The Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller can also be used to play Virtual Console NES games on a Wii U or Wii console. Simply connect it to a Wii Remote controller to make the experience that much more authentic. Players needn’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress either as each game has multiple suspend points, allowing them to start where they left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

It seems like it's talking about the Wii/U VC.

They skipped Mega Man 1, and went straight to Mega Man 2, which makes it seem like this is a "best of" collection since that one's really popular...So what is Simon's Quest doing there?

Either way it looks neat. No AC adapter is stupid, but Nintendo's done stuff like this before (New 3DS for example) so I'm not very surprised. 

I already got one of these in Christmas 2004 [emoji6]

super_joy_iii_pir2.jpg

Nah, joking aside this is really cool! I'd like to see a version with a cartridge slot, but this is great to see for now. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't get into the plug-n-play business years ago when they were more popular.

My NES was this thing!!! It didn't even had a "console", you just plug the joystick in your TV and you're good to go. Also, you put the cartridge in behind the joystick. Just a little bumb with your fingers on it and "bam", the game freezes! Oh, the good old days...

Very tempted to get this. I've haven't played any of the NES classics (apart from some of the Mega-Man games). I never owned a NES.

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

People keep saying this has save states, but here's the paragraph talking about them:

There's no clarification either way.

The main thing that's really fucking hype for me is that this supports the Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro and the other way around, the NES Mini controller is supported on the Wii and Wii U.

I want this thing to do well just so Nintendo will see it as a profitable business venture, and maybe release external hard drives with another set of NES games stored in the files that can connect to the system in some way. I want some RC Pro-AM, Tetris, and Othello. Maybe they could get Disney on a second go around and have them and Capcom release those Disney NES games like Talespin and Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers and Little Mermaid.

And of course contemplate ideas for a potential SNES Mini in a few fiscal years, if not quarters. Imagine Nintendo negotiating with Square Enix to package a SNES Mini with FFIV, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. Instant seller.

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

Site has launched for it, got a nice retro vibe.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/14/12193472/mini-nes-classic-edition-faq-nintendo

Also, we got some do and don'ts

• Can't use cartridges or regular NES controllers 
  • You must use the NES Classic Controller to play two players
  • You can not add games
  • "Nothing to announce" regarding possible future mini consoles.

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

The FAQ Pink Cat posted confirms it is definitely the Classic Mini they are talking about, suspend points will be available.

Wonder if the NES Mini controller will work with Smash Bros U lol. I can see the Smash team updating the game so it will work with it. Also will the controller be sold separately?

I erronously made a topic, and made some errors in said topic. Also, how did I miss this topic, it was right there! No excuses for me.

And how did I not see that they're just classic controllers for Wii/Wii U? My own screw up.

EDIT: Seems it's been deleted. At least it's not cluttering the forum.

Anyways, as I said before, this looks like a neat gift for my nephews. So I'll definitely consider it when it comes around! :)

Been thinking of what to get for those little guys anyways.

Edited by SurrealBrain

This actually looks downright cool. It seems to be the best plug n' play console I've ever seen, next to the Neo Geo X. If only SEGA would do something more like this, with save-states and whatnot.

• 2 months later...

Seems like Japan isn't being left out of getting their own mini 8 bit Nintendo console!

Game line up is mostly the same as the NES Mini, but there is a few unique choices, such as River City Ransom(Though I'm honestly surprised Dragon Quest isn't in either of them)

Will this come out of Japan? Probably not, since the line up is so similar that it's rather redundant, but hey, we got Famicom R.O.B.'s amiibo, so maybe it could happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit, their own looks way better than ours. They arguably even have a better lineup of games than us. (I'll gladly take River City Ransom over Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, thank you.)

The only thing that sucks is that controllers aren't detachable, like with the original Famicom. That was an awful design choice with the original Famicom, why keep it? 

Might import this, since I don't think it's going to be released here. Oh, and apparently it won't have a AC adapter. Good thing, I have one.

Thanks man, forgot to change the OP title and bump the topic when the famicom mini was announced.

So yeah, I want the famicom controllers for the Wii-U more so then the NES ones but I'll take 1 of each really.

17 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Thanks man, forgot to change the OP title and bump the topic when the famicom mini was announced.

So yeah, I want the famicom controllers for the Wii-U more so then the NES ones but I'll take 1 of each really.

The Famicom controllers are permanently connected to the console like they originally were, so they won't be usable as Classic Controllers. 

On 10/2/2016 at 0:17 AM, Marcello said:

The Famicom controllers are permanently connected to the console like they originally were, so they won't be usable as Classic Controllers. 

Well thats crappy design logic, that was 1 of the flaws with the original Famicom. Hmm, wonder if they are actually gonna be soldered into the motherboard or just be the same connections but inside instead of out?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...