Awoo.

What personalities do you want to see in the Sonic universe?

Rey Skywalker-Ren

As the thread title says; what personalities do you want to see or see more of in the Sonic universe? That or what character tropes. This isn't about if Sonic needs more characters. 

To be honest, I do want to see more vibrant, happy-go-lucky personalities that actually fit the theme of Sonic. Sonic is about a hedgehog that runs at ludicrous speeds. I want to see more fun personalities. Serious is fine but edgy doesn't fit well.

Sonic as the streetsmart cheesy edgelord who has a good heart, Tails as the skittish but brave sidekick with a knack for building things, Knuckles as the slow-witted and prideful but honorable and reverent friend, Amy as a slightly off-kilter but generous sweetheart who always pushes herself to do better, Shadow as the unfunny antihero who can't seem to fit in and therefore makes any situation he's in hilarious, Eggman as the bombastic clown who has an anger problem but is also always 5 steps ahead of everyone else, and Big as the simple-minded outsider who loves nature and is kind to everyone.

Cream is full-on psychotic yandere. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Mikyeong said:

As the thread title says; what personalities do you want to see or see more of in the Sonic universe? That or what character tropes. This isn't about if Sonic needs more characters. 

To be honest, I do want to see more vibrant, happy-go-lucky personalities that actually fit the theme of Sonic. Sonic is about a hedgehog that runs at ludicrous speeds. I want to see more fun personalities. Serious is fine but edgy doesn't fit well.

"happy-go-lucky"? Like Knuckles the serious guardian of ME, last of his kind? Or Metal Sonic, silent deadly robot, with possibly hate being only emotion he knows?

One could argue that Cream is out of place, since she's a sweet little girl that hates violence, on series about "cool" characters.

....I went to much into a defensive rant, let's take a step back.

The question isn't specific enough. You mean where? As villains? Supportive cast? As another important playable characters (we probably don't need another of those).

Besides, none type of personality is wrong (not counting extremes I guess). Look at Steven Universe. After first few episodes I could say "I wish there was a real villain in it". If I asked for goofy one, I would never get Yellow Diamond. If serious, bye bye, Peridot.

Meaning the cast itself. 

To be honest, Cream isn't out of place at all. I mean yeah she's the kid where as Marine is the "annoying" kid but that type of personality is that goes with the Sonic series

All I'll say right now is that I wish Sonic's short temper which has a reputation for showing up in character profiles and manuals would appear more. Along with that there should be more of that "don't mess with me, I'm relaxing" sort of aura that appeared at the beginning of the OVA. Like, Sonic can be a cool laid-back guy but he's still needs that "I'll do what I want when I feel like it" attitude I think. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I've always had a few ideas for how some of the characters should be portrayed...

Shadow- I'd make him a bit less antagonistic and a lot more dry and sarcastic; giving off a very 'I'm surrounded by idiots' feel, I'd probably take a few aspects from Wolverine's character from X-Men and mix them in with how he interacts with the other characters.

Silver- I'd definitely take advantage of his time travel background when re-doing his personality, since he's from the future I reckon it would make sense for him to be a bit paranoid; constantly worrying that he's gonna do something that screws up the timeline, it would also be interesting for his personality (and maybe appearance) to become inconsistent as he keep travelling back to Sonic's time from a different future every time.

Big- Essentially the way he was used in Sonic Adventure 2; a background gag, being occasionally seen fishing in the background or being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a destructive action stage...

Charmy- A key point of Charmy's personality that is not often represented in the games is his complete and utter lack of fear in ANY situation, I'd use this trait to portray Charmy as kid who's completely oblivious to all the danger around him; the kinda kid that'd would rather spit and laugh at a giant killer robot rather than running away.

That's all I can think of right now... 

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda want a bombastic over-the-top big talker about being the best thing to grace the universe, but in action is either lackluster, messes up some how, or Sonic just beats him/her to it and never actually gets to show it off. They wouldn't get upset necessarily, but have a silent moment of being flabbergasted, and then blame it on some arbitrary issue and grin super big saying "DON'T WORRY I'LL GET IT NEXT TIME." Someone to counter Sonic's sorta "HEH I GOT ATTITUDE AND I'M COOL" but then Sonic actually pulls stuff off, and to be honest comes off a little boring or eye-rolling. I want a character that kinda pokes fun at this and kinda exists to be a parody to Sonic's personality, but couldn't hold a candle to his skill. Granted I don't want this guy to be like a Sonic admirer or always claim he can beat Sonic, but to solemnly go on about him or herself independently as the greatest thing ever and never gives another character even the time a day on their skill. Also quick note, probably should not be yet another hedgehog lawl.

It opens up room for comedy, lighthearted conflict among heroes, and honestly plot devices where this character can make a situation worse and advance the plot for whatever Sonic needs to do to save the day.