Awoo.

Worst Character Designs you've ever seen.

nintega137

For some reason I feel like there's going to be a lot of Ken Penders stuff here. Oh well. 

This topic is pretty simple talk about and post pictures of a character design you don't like and explain why. It's as simple as that. 

Recently I found a new game on steam I wanted to play named EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair.

The game looks pretty fun and all but then suddenly I see the Wing Diver Class

latest?cb=20130906052949

1310483866536.jpg

Oh my god. What the fuck is that?!!! i mean seriously who thought that looked cool? I mean never mind that once again it's female armor that for some reason is oddly exposed and doesn't cover as much as it realistically should, but it just looks so fucking stupid. Not even like hilariously stupid just flat out stupid, ugly, cluttered, unappealing to look at Even from the sex appeal angle I don't get it. It doesn't look sexy, at least not to me it doesn't, it just looks incredibly ridiculous. Not to mention the parts of the suit that actually do have armor on it look oddly bulky and sharp and feels like its sense of artistic balance is............ off. 

Up next we have

latest?cb=20100110102314

Seymour from Final Fantasy 10. I'm not even going to really say much here, because Spoony pretty much sums it up for me.

All the way up to 6:45

Next we have 

latest?cb=20090226131107   

Wind Crowrang from Mega Man x7. Ya know this design wouldn't be so bad to me if it weren't for one itsy bitsy teeny tiny little detail. He has fucking air-vents for nipples. Yea I know that's petty as shit, but it really does take me out of it. 

And last but certainly not least.

SKirxSk.jpg

Pretty much everyone from Yu-Gi-Oh Arc V. I've only seen a few episodes from the show, but not only do I think the clothing has gotten stupider, as well as their eyebrows, but I think the whole spiky hair deal is getting out of hand too. Seriously I swear people can have like 40 different hair colors in one style. It looks gaudy and stupid as hell. Granted the original Yu Gi Oh had that problem and I wouldn't be surprised if the the other ones did too, but this one is the most recent one I've come across. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Seymour is not bad at all compared to this from Final Fantasy Tactics A2

http://imgur.com/on59d7A

Look at all that clutter, it's like they decided to just stick whatever they can on Luso just to see if they can do it and they did.

The sword is ridiculous even by JRPG standards, why is that chain there? Why the puffy shorts but skinny legs? Could go on forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not exactly the same thing, but we do have a thread about good/bad character redesigns, if you're interested:

EDIT: To give an actual response...hmm, I can't really say there's been a character design I don't like, if there is, I can't recall.

To pick one in particular...the California Raisins I guess? Stop-motion raisins with human faces are pretty uncanny. But it's so out there and such an 80s product that I can't really bring myself to complain lol.

californiaraisins.jpg

Action...Henk... "cringes, and then shudders"

action-henk.jpg

Henk himself isn't too awful, but the rest are so horrific I refuse to show you them.

Also, here's the worst Digimon I've seen:

Pilomon2.jpg

Panbachimon.jpg

Daipenmon.jpg

(Apparently this is the advanced hybrid of ice... I don't see it.)

These seriously look like Moshi Monsters... "Cringe"

Also, have a Care Bear:

Care+Bears+Welcome+to+Care-A-Lot+Logo.jp

I've never liked Care Bears, but they only got worse after the 80s.

11 minutes ago, Kool Kirb said:

Do not post links with no explanation whatsoever about what's behind it in here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm either okay with or in love with most if not all designs in this thread, there really is something wrong with me.

This one's not really bad but disappointing;

Nightmarrionette.png

This had the potential to be a creepier version of the marionette but it just looks silly and feels like a self parody. "I'll just add pointy bits to him and give him sharp teeth out of obligation to fit with the other nightmares". I was mostly disappointed because he looked creepy as hell to me in this teaser-

zng9jdb-jpg.jpg?w=780

-only to find out he actually has the face of an overly enthusiastic juggalo piranha.

• Thumbs Up 4

^ I didn't even know that thing was in the game.

Okay really though, I can't think of a worse-dressed individual than Pannacotta Fugo.

latest?cb=20130213020747

(using the SAS figure because it's the only one with a full-body shot and the manga colors)

I mean...look at him. I love the guy's character, he stabs people with forks after all, but who even designs clothing like this? This man dresses like literal swiss cheese. He dresses like someone wanted to sew polka-dots on their underwear, but cut it out of his pants and shirt instead of some regular cloth. Really, I could go for the idea that he's trying to show himself off, since this artist loves to make every important character sexy no matter what (except this guy, yeesh), but the necktie implies this is supposed to be some sort of dignified or even formal look. In other words, it's fucking crazy.

Actually, let's not discount some other characters in JoJo, because everyone usually says Fugo first.

look at fucking Lang Wrangler:

latest?cb=20140719150055

What even is that? Is that what clothing is? he looks like Semi-perfect Cell got tossed in a deep fryer. He's got a fucking reverse rocket ship design on his chest for whatever reason (okay it's because he effects gravity but whatever), and most confusingly, his own cowl covers up his fucking eyesight. What does he even have goggles for? Those aren't going to fix anything. I'm pretty sure he never even uses them. It's a mess.

Finally, fucking Rykiel.

cRbebZI.png

Who let this mess happen. Okay, so not only does his face have this weird lip swelling going on (moreso than other JoJo characters), but his eyes are tilted downward, away from his face, making the whole thing look droopy. Next, his hair. Is it black with pink lighting making it stand out? Is it pink with shadows making it stand out? Is it black with pink highlights, or pink with black...not-highlights. Or, is it neither color, and he's purposefully slammed cans of pink and black paint onto his face to use his hair as a distraction from the biggest problem? Or, maybe he has NO hair, and this is all colored silly string coming from the strange holes in his forehead? Finally, the clothing. What the fuck even is this? It's cow-print, which I can't imagine anyone seriously considering a good idea, but then it's split all over the place. At least Fugo's holes were consistent, this is just stupid-looking. And why does it cover his neck and chin like that? It's like if you took a hot water bottle and sewed it on top of the rest of the outfit, and painted over it. It's fucking hideous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Main_characters_of_The_Problem_Solverz.p

Oh my god, I can tolerate a lot of character designs, but damn... these have to be some of the ugliest character designs I've ever seen.

This is from the show Problem Solverz, a show that was critisized heavily for many things, character designs included. The character designs just look so lifeless, like they were drawn in ms-paint. What more can I say? 

• Thumbs Up 4

Move over Ken Penders, Mick McMahon has you beat as the worst Sonic comic character designer ever:

Madferret.jpg
Medusa.jpg

(this one did in Death Trap until like Issue 266)

Ratbratt.jpg
Clarkbent.jpgGrasstain.jpg

He wasn't alone in this department, however.

Gerrycorfu.jpg

What even is that?

Kingedward.jpg

STC is probably the worst in the deisgn department of minor characters, even more than AOSTH. Boom's are only more henious because they take up so much screentime that could be used for proper Sonic-type characters.

I could post a lot of modern YuGiOh cards here.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh yeah, AOSTH's robot designs and the Sonic Boom show's bystander designs are painfully generic. I feel like the latter would look better in 2D, but the models look uncomfortably bloated and they're movements and face posing are always half assed, they all just reek of cheap. Comedy Chimp should make like the viral desktop buddy he's constantly compared to and get killed off already, followed by only being remembered for how terrible he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

The "children" of Sonic Schoolhouse.

While the Elephant, Gator, and Polar Bear are fine, the rest have very creepy animations and designs that don't work well in 3D.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spark Brushel.

Okay look, Apollo Justice had its share of less than stellar character designs, from Daryan Crescend's literal dick head to whatever the hell was up with Wesley Stickler. Still none of them can even begin to measure up to the unholy abomination that is Spark Brushel. I mean just look at him (but be forewarned that what has been seen cannot be unseen):

Spoiler

brushel-nosweat(a).giflatest?cb=20120729003520latest?cb=20120729003518latest?cb=20120729003520latest?cb=20120729003519latest?cb=20120729003520

EGAD! Get that thing away from me! Why the hell is he blinking with his lower eyelids!? That's not natural! THAT IS NOT NATURAL! BLINK NORMALLY YOU FREAK! 

It's not just his terrifying appearance that's a problem either. I mean don't get me wrong, it's bad enough that he looks like some horrifying combination of Elmer Fudd and the Angry Video Game Nerd, but even worse is that he doesn't mesh with the Ace Attorney artstyle at all. There's no precedent for him looking the way he does so why the hell did they design him that way?

As if that wasn't bad enough his full body sprite somehow manages to make him even more horrifying:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20151123204806

What were they thinking!?

22 hours ago, Komaru Naegi said:

Seymour is not bad at all compared to this from Final Fantasy Tactics A2

http://imgur.com/on59d7A

Look at all that clutter, it's like they decided to just stick whatever they can on Luso just to see if they can do it and they did.

The sword is ridiculous even by JRPG standards, why is that chain there? Why the puffy shorts but skinny legs? Could go on forever.

I'm struck that it almost seems as though they kept changing their mind over what the main character's abilities would be and what sort of tone the story would have but never removed any of the things they decided against.  

OK, so, Black Manta:

manta.jpg

It's like they were designing a villain for aquaman and just gave up.  He's ostensibly human under that helmet but there's no way such a helmet would fit a person with any degree of comfort, and that unimpressive awkward helmet is his only remarkable visual feature.  At some point, someone decided he's Aquaman's nemesis, so he keeps showing up, and various artists keep trying to stick different pointy bits onto him to try and make him seem menacing, but none of them have ever stuck, because none of them are ever going to be able to get rid of that dumb helmet because that's all there is to this character's appearance.  

Another goldmine of horrible character designs is The King of Fighters. Just look at Kyo's allies and you'll see what I mean.

benimaru-cvs2-fix.jpg

"It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A!, It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A!"

goro-daimon-098.gif

"And now we present generic judo master number who gives a shit."

"Sorry, but the name is very much taken."

Wanna see more?

kof02-seth.jpg

(why does he have a mohawk? P.S. This guy is mmy least favorite, for now.)

ash-k3.jpg
bao2000fix.jpgk9999-falcoon.jpg

I usually use the FF/AOF cast and Athena, and sometimes Shermie, Kyo, Iori, and Mature/Vice.

Honestly, some of the NPCs from the more recent Pokemon games have pretty awful, unnecessary gaudy designs. I feel like, from Generations I - III, they were usually pretty simple and elegant. In Generation IV, a few questionable decisions began showing up. Then in Generations V and especially VI, some really bad things began to appear, including downright nonsensical and ridiculous hairstyles and outfits. Not that they're all terrible or anything, but I feel like the general trend has been towards stupider design decisions in an apparent attempt to "mix things up" that only ends up creating a bizarre and silly-looking final product. But out of all of them, I have to say these are some of the absolute worst as far as Kalos Pokemon League-affiliated characters (Gym Leaders and Elite Four members) go. (Don't even get me started on Team Flare. Seriously.)

XY_Olympia.png

Olympia's design is pretty much the very definition of trying way, WAY too hard. I could probably tolerate her outfit if it wasn't for her hair. Her hair. Just look at that. It doesn't even look like hair. Just what. The. Heck.

XY_Valerie.png

Valerie has a really nice color scheme, and her design is almost cute in some ways. Too bad it's also insanity-inducing. Seriously, it's just...what is happening, what is going on, whAT IS LIFE. I just...I'm sorry, it's just too much. More than I can take. More than the human mind can comprehend. While I can see why some would enjoy the design, its sheer ridiculousness is enough to warrant a mention.

XY_Wikstrom.png

I have just one question.

Why does he have a star on his forehead

Why does he have a star on his head

Why does a star on his head

Why a star head

Why star

Why

WHY?!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

XY_Wikstrom.png

Why a star head

Why star

Why

WHY?!!!!

.....Because...he likes Staryus...? *Shot

On July 21, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

XY_Wikstrom.png

Why a star head

Why star

Why

WHY?!!!!

The teacher liked his three paragraph essay?