Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

As I basically said in the comments section on the main site, I say wait until Sega announce anything before believing there's a physical release on PS4, XBO, and PC. Note that there's only been a Switch listing at Argos, and every other site that lists a physical release? Why does Argos claim there to be a physical version on other systems... and yet not list them? Kind of odd if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Hero of Legend said:

As I basically said in the comments section on the main site, I say wait until Sega announce anything before believing there's a physical release on PS4, XBO, and PC. Note that there's only been a Switch listing at Argos, and every other site that lists a physical release? Why does Argos claim there to be a physical version on other systems... and yet not list them? Kind of odd if you ask me.

You don't need a confirmation from SEGA for the Nintendo version, but you do for everything else?

I mean, it's you, I'm not exactly stunned, but c'mon.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

You don't need a confirmation from SEGA for the Nintendo version, but you do for everything else?

I mean, it's you, I'm exactly stunned, but c'mon.

Because we've had multiple other sites listing a Switch version only. In that case, why does the CS of one only listing a Switch version mean the same as like 3 or 4 others listing only a Switch version?

Too much smoke hinting towards a Switch-only physical version.

If Argos is claiming this, why not list the physical release on all systems? I checked myself, it's still only showing a Switch version upon searching the site.

7 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

BlueParadox found a physical listing for Mania on Argos:

Then got in touch with customer support:

So if it is a thing (it seems like a pretty safe bet at this point), it might not be exclusive after all. Feels good.

I know people will say "oh but SEGA said it's not happening" but does anybody else find it weird that we've gotten several different retailers all saying that a physical version of the game is coming? Just feels weird. 

3 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Because we've had multiple other sites listing a Switch version only. In that case, why does the CS of one only listing a Switch version mean the same as like 3 or 4 others listing only a Switch version?

Too much smoke hinting towards a Switch-only physical version.

If Argos is claiming this, why not list the physical release on all systems? I checked myself, it's still only showing a Switch version upon searching the site.

I dunno. But if they say it's coming, regardless of list status, there's precisely as much reason to doubt the Switch listings being legit as there are the other consoles getting it now.

14 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I dunno. But if they say it's coming, regardless of list status, there's precisely as much reason to doubt the Switch listings being legit as there are the other consoles getting it now.

Know what I think...?

I think it's a PHYSICAL box...

With a PHYSICAL card inside...

With a DIGITAL download code...

sonic___trolling_around_at_the_speed_of_

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Know what I think...?

I think it's a PHYSICAL box...

With a PHYSICAL card inside...

With a DIGITAL download code...

sonic___trolling_around_at_the_speed_of_

GAME actually did that for Sonic 4, so who knows? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Which I assume was one website where as with Mania we have several different websites saying it.

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Which I assume was one website where as with Mania we have several different websites saying it.

No, I mean GAME actually did do a physical release for Sonic 4 that was just that. I still see them instore today. 

Pretty sure they were GAME exclusive though, yeah. 

55 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I mean, it's you, I'm not exactly stunned, but c'mon.

This was really uncalled for. No need to get personal, especially over something like this.

• Thumbs Up 5

A few pages ago I pointed out that Duck Tails had a physical box with a code inside. Other games, especially those on PC, have done this with physical copies too. Until someone from SEGA says "no there is a disc or cart in this box" I would take any news of a physical release with a hefty amount of salt.

Am I the only one disheartened by the fact both of these games are being released on the Switch? Yeah, it's nice to see Sega and Nintendo cooperating sure. I just can't help but feel that Nintendo consoles in general aren't built to handle the sheer speed and action Sonic is famous for. (Mania probably won't face this issue, but still.) Dunno about you fellas, but it's either Steam or PS4 for me.

7 minutes ago, AtomicPencils said:

Am I the only one disheartened by the fact both of these games are being released on the Switch? Yeah, it's nice to see Sega and Nintendo cooperating sure. I just can't help but feel that Nintendo consoles in general aren't built to handle the sheer speed and action Sonic is famous for. (Mania probably won't face this issue, but still.) Dunno about you fellas, but it's either Steam or PS4 for me.

Remember that Switch is much more powerful than PS3 and 360 (shocking for a handheld!), and Sonic Unleashed and Generations were made for those, did you like the speed in those? I think Sonic will be fine on Switch. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hero of Legend said:

Remember that Switch is much more powerful than PS3 and 360 (shocking for a handheld!), and Sonic Unleashed and Generations were made for those, did you like the speed in those? I think Sonic will be fine on Switch. ;)

Mmm...

Keep in mind the Wii version of Unleashed was pretty vastly different compared to the other versions...

A proper thing to use for an argument is likely Colors above all others.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, AtomicPencils said:

Dude it's 2017, not 1991.

• Thumbs Up 9

21 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Really? Huh, I thought it was 2020...

But yeah, I think Switch is up to par enough to handle both Mania and P17 without any differences between versions now.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Really? Huh, I thought it was 2020...

But yeah, I think Switch is up to par enough to handle both Mania and P17 without any differences between versions now.

Not to be forgetting, Switch actually handles UE4 extremely well, as Snake Pass looks identical on Switch versus PS4 and XBO, only with the framerate being at 30 instead of 60, and it's still in 1080p on Switch. The game is also a decent looker I say. I'd bet PS3 and 360 could never run it.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Not to be forgetting, Switch actually handles UE4 extremely well, as Snake Pass looks identical on Switch versus PS4 and XBO, only with the framerate being at 30 instead of 60, and it's still in 1080p on Switch. The game is also a decent looker I say. I'd bet PS3 and 360 could never run it.

I won't lie, it feels like I came a little watching that game play footage...

Hot d@$n it's good to be seeing these games coming back. Finally push shooters out of the market at least a LITTLE for the time being.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Was born in 95, actually. :U But nah, that's not it. During the development of RoL, the game needed to be downgraded just so that it could be compatible for Wii U. That little bit of trivia there is what's making me skeptical. If Switch can measure up to the PS4/Xbone, cool. If not, maybe we'll get an Unleashed type situation where two different builds for the same game are made. I dunno. Guess we'll just have to wait for release.

• Thumbs Up 1

If P17 is being released for the Switch in the first place, it runs just fine. Same for Mania, of course.

3 minutes ago, AtomicPencils said:

Was born in 95, actually. :U But nah, that's not it. During the development of RoL, the game needed to be downgraded just so that it could be compatible for Wii U. That little bit of trivia there is what's making me skeptical. If Switch can measure up to the PS4/Xbone, cool. If not, maybe we'll get an Unleashed type situation where two different builds for the same game are made. I dunno. Guess we'll just have to wait for release.

They needed to downgrade RoL because they were forced to suddenly switch development to the Wii U, and the engine they were using wasn't designed to be used on the Wii U, so they had to hurriedly bash it into functional-enough shape. That's a problem of horrendously bad management, not of the Wii U's lower specs, and that shouldn't be a problem this time, since they've had the Switch version planned since long before the console even had a name.

• Thumbs Up 8

46 minutes ago, AtomicPencils said:

Yeah, at best the Switch (while plugged into its base station) will match or slightly exceed the power of the Wii U; which still places the Switch well below the capabilities of the PS4 and Xbox One, to say nothing of the even more powerful PS4 Pro and Xbox 'Scorpio'. This means that the situation with Nintendo in regards to third-party support remains largely the same as has been since the original Wii, a main version of the game for everybody else and a downgraded version for the Nintendo platform.

In this regard, Project Sonic 2017 could end up like Sonic Unleashed, with two separate versions of the game being made of necessity thanks to Nintendo's weaker hardware design. Although, Sonic Mania (as a 2D downloadable game) shouldn't be as demanding on hardware and will probably be fairly consistent across all platforms.

49 minutes ago, AtomicPencils said:

Mania shouldn't have issues unless it's running on a Wii or something. It's a glorified saturn game.

2017 is another issue entirely. Not sure how they'll handle that.

Just now, Josh said:

Mania shouldn't have issues unless it's running on a Wii or something. It's a glorified saturn game.

2017 is another issue entirely. Not sure how they'll handle that.

For some reason I feel that demotes Mania... ^^;