Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I mean, it's already confirmed that Mania will have cutscenes akin to 3&K so where's the doubt coming from?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So exactly what do you know that we all don't which means you're so adamant this won't be the case?

I don't know anything. I'm just keeping personal expectations low revolving the story of the game. With the 3D portion being as it has been, when it comes to a 2D game the only thing I'm expecting is a purely S1/S2 level plot that's behind the scenes in the manual.

I remember a topic of level transitions happening in the game akin to S3&K but I don't remember anything about cut scenes being clarified/confirmed, could be wrong on that though but I don't recall that part, just the transition discussion.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I don't know anything. I'm just keeping personal expectations low revolving the story of the game. With the 3D portion being as it has been, when it comes to a 2D game the only thing I'm expecting is a purely S1/S2 level plot that's behind the scenes in the manual.

I remember a topic of level transitions happening in the game akin to S3&K but I don't remember anything about cut scenes being clarified/confirmed, could be wrong on that though but I don't recall that part, just the transition discussion.

I don't think anyone here expects After/Before the Sequel level of cutscenes.

Having a little mini cutscene like the opening to Sonic 3 is an absolutely no-brainer that things like that might be scattered around.

Think about how like the 1v1 against Knuckles ended in just eggman stealing something, and flying out. You follow knuckles and now you're teleporting to sky sanctuary. That's a really really basic cutscene that emphasizes a lot on story with no words, short interactions, minor visual cues, and just results in "story".

We're not talking cutscenes like the intro to Sonic CD where it's a completely different render, we're talking about like "you lose control of your character for a few seconds, knuckles chuckles, a switch gets hit, someone steals something, something happens in the background/distance, you regain control".

Basically a quick scripted moment that doesn't pull away from the story, almost like when you reach sky sanctuary, you can see the death egg appear in the back, fly off, the badniks pop out, and knuckles hits the switch. Only then can you continue.

Or when in Launch Base Act 2 you beat the first boss, get into eggman's egg-o-matic, you lose control of the character. You interact with knuckles, you witness the deathegg fly off, and you get to land on it. That's really cool, its a cutscene, but not like a "temporarily show a pre-render". Does that make sense?

We are guaranteed zone to zone transitions.

It is 99% probable that the game will have occasional 'lose control of character as something momentarily happens' situations.

• Thumbs Up 7

31 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

I don't think anyone here expects After/Before the Sequel level of cutscenes.

Having a little mini cutscene like the opening to Sonic 3 is an absolutely no-brainer that things like that might be scattered around.

Think about how like the 1v1 against Knuckles ended in just eggman stealing something, and flying out. You follow knuckles and now you're teleporting to sky sanctuary. That's a really really basic cutscene that emphasizes a lot on story with no words, short interactions, minor visual cues, and just results in "story".

We're not talking cutscenes like the intro to Sonic CD where it's a completely different render, we're talking about like "you lose control of your character for a few seconds, knuckles chuckles, a switch gets hit, someone steals something, something happens in the background/distance, you regain control".

Basically a quick scripted moment that doesn't pull away from the story, almost like when you reach sky sanctuary, you can see the death egg appear in the back, fly off, the badniks pop out, and knuckles hits the switch. Only then can you continue.

Or when in Launch Base Act 2 you beat the first boss, get into eggman's egg-o-matic, you lose control of the character. You interact with knuckles, you witness the deathegg fly off, and you get to land on it. That's really cool, its a cutscene, but not like a "temporarily show a pre-render". Does that make sense?

We are guaranteed zone to zone transitions.

It is 99% probable that the game will have occasional 'lose control of character as something momentarily happens' situations.

this.

I dont even want more then that. Just keep it as simple as possible, S3K level of storytelling would be perfectly fine for me.

Something to note:

Yesterday they did the Sonic Valentine's Day Stream and at 51:53 Arin says "Somebody wants the Sonic Mania release date, I don't have that release date for you yet".

Rather than saying something like "there is no release date yet" sounds like a date probably has been chosen, and he keeps saying "yet", which of course can mean anything, but to me it sounds like he knows the date will be revealed soon. I'm pretty confident the SXSW event will release the release date + more (in the stream they said LOTS of big news will be shown, so i doubt its just a date, and they said its hard to show off so much in a single 1 hour panel (granted some of it will be for sonic 2017, but remember, from a business standpoint you dont want to re-direct hype towards sonic 2017 before sonic mania is even out yet)).

Also, they said there will be an exclusive item to whomever goes there in person. Wonder what that is? 

4 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

FYDfK0b.gif

I mean, just from looking at the visual fidelity so far, I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to have mini cutscenes like 3&K haha

Also, I'll be going to a preview event for the Switch tomorrow, so it'll be nice to finally get my hands on this game! (assuming it'll be there ?)

I don't know what's going on here, but I'm looking forward to Sonic Mania.

I hope it does kickstart interest in more Classic Sonic games, lord knows we need more of those.

Oh, I know for a fact Mania is definitely gonna be the game that brings back the Classic styled games back. Then we can finally get a game where we can the Classic styled gameplay in 3D for real!

or something like that, feels like I've been saying this a million times.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
23 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

SEGA not releasing news isn't the issue. I prefer this approach to the Generations approach, or to name another example, the Pokemon Sun/Moon approach.

I'm being slightly facetious. I also prefer that SEGA doesn't overload us with information, but when there's nothing new or relevant to talk about, people tend to latch onto the smaller things and discuss them to death, or blow them up into bigger issues than they really are.

I just see the whole physical release stuff to be a byproduct of that. Like, until SEGA says something further about their distribution plans, is it really worth getting into it over some listings storefronts are making? Nope, probably not. But we'll do it, because what else is there. And that's fine for the most part. It's silly, but unfortunately it gets contentious sometimes.

This game is playable at those Switch and Play event things, right? I might be able to play it again next week.

Since I tried Studiopolis last time I'll probably go with GHZ this time. I also never got to try the Drop Dash since I didn't know it existed when I first tried it, hehe.

So, to try this again with a much more civil conversation. I'm really hoping that the rumor that there's a physical copy releasing for all consoles is true. I personally love collecting games physically much more than digitally (Mainly because I like having the game on a shelf and next to my other games, and on top of that, it cuts down a lot on the download space on my PS4, which is heavily limited). 

It also brings up an interesting question. If the rumors are true, does this possibly mean SEGA will upgrade the collector's edition of Mania from a Digital copy of the game to a Physical copy? Or perhaps offer the chance to upgrade your order to the physical?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

FYDfK0b.gif

I mean, just from looking at the visual fidelity so far, I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to have mini cutscenes like 3&K haha

Also, I'll be going to a preview event for the Switch tomorrow, so it'll be nice to finally get my hands on this game! (assuming it'll be there ?)

...You named yourself BubbleButt...

giphy.gif

I like you. lol

On the topic, it's really NOT unreasonable to speculate mini cut-scenes at all. I just personally find it unlikely asides stage transition stuff. I'd be thrilled if it did go beyond that and in a nice direction between S3&K and the fan games I mentioned, (preferring a direction of the fan games myself) but I'm basically just keeping myself mellow on things like this in the game.

Keeps one hyped for things worth hyping up for, like the stages and game play, and helps avoid disappointment in areas best left expecting the least, that way if there IS more, or FAR more, well... I won't complain at all about the stuff it will do to me in places best not mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So, to try this again with a much more civil conversation. I'm really hoping that the rumor that there's a physical copy releasing for all consoles is true. I personally love collecting games physically much more than digitally (Mainly because I like having the game on a shelf and next to my other games, and on top of that, it cuts down a lot on the download space on my PS4, which is heavily limited). 

It also brings up an interesting question. If the rumors are true, does this possibly mean SEGA will upgrade the collector's edition of Mania from a Digital copy of the game to a Physical copy? Or perhaps offer the chance to upgrade your order to the physical?

I agree, and really hope this happens. Hopefully we will find out if there will be one or not on march 16

Considering Aaron Webber managed to get us an artbook when he was told the community would love one, it's well within reason to assume that physical copies are possible. If Sega can be convinced they could turn a profit from them.

Edited by Maxtiis
Forgot a word
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Considering Aaron Webber managed to get us an artbook when he was told the community would love one, it's well within reason to assume that physical copies are possible. If Sega can be convinced they could turn a profit from them.

For some reason this line makes me want to scream "Re-Open Sonic Team of America!" until my throat goes hoarse...

I think things fell apart the most when they swallowed everything into Japan and distanced themselves from the West so... That'd be a great way to start turning a profit in my opinion.

(Iizuka as head of Sonic Team Japan, Whitehead/Webber in co-charge of Sonic Team America preferably)

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

(Iizuka as head of Sonic Team Japan, Whitehead/Webber in co-charge of Sonic Team America preferably)

The only thing that would make me question the decision, if this would theoretically happen, which team would take on what? Like would Whitehead/Webber still be making the 2D games and Lizuka still making the 3D ones, then if that's the case I wouldn't see the point of it.

Then again I'm probably going too in this for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I've seen a lot of indie games get physical releases (e.g. Wasteland 2), don't think there's any reason for Mania to not do so.

Personally would rather digital though at the end of the day. Digital distribution services like Steam mean that I could download the game on a potentially unlimited number of systems, which is nice if something happens to one particular system or want to move to another one. Storage is cheap too, and far faster than running a game on disk regardless of platform.

9 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I've seen a lot of indie games get physical releases (e.g. Wasteland 2), don't think there's any reason for Mania to not do so.

Personally would rather digital though at the end of the day. Digital distribution services like Steam mean that I could download the game on a potentially unlimited number of systems, which is nice if something happens to one particular system or want to move to another one. Storage is cheap too, and far faster than running a game on disk regardless of platform.

I mean it all really depends on how large the game is, and ESPECIALLY how good is your WiFi when installing the game, since it can take a few hours, all depending on mostly those factors. Even though I don't think Sonic Mania is that big of a game but compared to the others, it's just more convenient since all you have to do is pop in the disc and play, with little to no installing, unless you play on PC.

27 minutes ago, Joellui said:

I mean it all really depends on how large the game is, and ESPECIALLY how good is your WiFi when installing the game, since it can take a few hours, all depending on mostly those factors. Even though I don't think Sonic Mania is that big of a game but compared to the others, it's just more convenient since all you have to do is pop in the disc and play, with little to no installing, unless you play on PC.

Given the current age of mandatory installs and day one patches, the notion of just popping it in and playing it seems like a rather dead prospect. That said, I don't own a current gen console, I'm just going off what others experiences are.

8 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

For some reason this line makes me want to scream "Re-Open Sonic Team of America!" until my throat goes hoarse...

I think things fell apart the most when they swallowed everything into Japan and distanced themselves from the West so... That'd be a great way to start turning a profit in my opinion.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a present-day equivalent to Tom Kalinske and his team. I think Aaron is savvy and resourceful enough to market other Sega products aside from Sonic, and if Mania proves to be a massive success, maybe Sega will let other talented developers create new games for their other underutilized IPs.

As for Iizuka, I'm sure his relocation to the States is far better for the franchise in the long run than having him stay in Japan. He can have much better access to how the market reacts to new games and receive feedback directly from us.

3 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a present-day equivalent to Tom Kalinske and his team. I think Aaron is savvy and resourceful enough to market other Sega products aside from Sonic, and if Mania proves to be a massive success, maybe Sega will let other talented developers create new games for their other underutilized IPs.

As for Iizuka, I'm sure his relocation to the States is far better for the franchise in the long run than having him stay in Japan. He can have much better access to how the market reacts to new games and receive feedback directly from us.

That's a good subject too. I think being in the East isolated not just others, but especially him from the demands/expectations of the Western markets. It's pretty clear there's plenty of stuff for the Japanese market to enjoy from Colors/Colours onward, but Lost World feels like it sums up their tastes in comparison to the West pretty clearly and that's likely the breaking point where the company/Iizuka decided "Yeah... Need to get back over there..." basically.

When you're in Japan, you make games with more of their flavor. When you're in the West, you make products filled with more of a Western flavor, and this is seen not only when it comes to "where" the Sonic games are made and/or where the staff behind them are located.

We got the original Genesis trilogy and the Adventure series while staff was located/heavily involved with the West as another reference. And now here we are with the Western division/divisions getting more power as of late, Iizuka is in the West now as well, and here comes Mania and Project 2017.

It's pretty clear "WHERE" he/they are plays a major factor in the games that release, and I like where things are going now as a whole.

17 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

UPDATE: It wasn't there.

C4ONAOMWcAEzFTN.jpg

MFW the wait continues ?

This might be a silly topic but I've been seeing some criticism towards the ring system from people saying they make Sonic games too easy, and I see where they're coming from, especially with them being EVERYWHERE in the last few games, ESPECIALLY Lost World. They seem more scarce here though. Giving them more of a purpose would add even more incentive to not get hit too; Even though rings werent needed to get emeralds, losing them in Sonic 3 still felt consequential thanks to the bonus stages, hopefully this game has those too, replacing continues for every 50 rings collected with lives of course since this game's gonna have saves.