Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

28 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

This might be a silly topic but I've been seeing some criticism towards the ring system from people saying they make Sonic games too easy, and I see where they're coming from, especially with them being EVERYWHERE in the last few games, ESPECIALLY Lost World. They seem more scarce here though. Giving them more of a purpose would add even more incentive to not get hit too; Even though rings werent needed to get emeralds, losing them in Sonic 3 still felt consequential thanks to the bonus stages, hopefully this game has those too, replacing continues for every 50 rings collected with lives of course since this game's gonna have saves.

...The ring system? That's an issue...?

I haven't noticed any particular upticks or lack-there-of in any of the games. There might be some extra or lesser amounts in some titles but by and large I don't see any difference in numbers worth having a problem over.

Sonic and rings go together like cereal and milk.

At long as the Final Boss doesn't require me to fight without them, I'm OK with the Ring system.

Although some of the Ring Based Challenges in Sonic Generations like the "1 Ring Run" would be interesting in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

At long as the Final Boss doesn't require me to fight without them, I'm OK with the Ring system.

Although some of the Ring Based Challenges in Sonic Generations like the "1 Ring Run" would be interesting in this game.

Go-----------od THIS!!!!!

...F@$ing miss the heck out of Super Sonic finales, they always have such an f-in epic touch to them.

(...Except Generations, how the hell do you f-up a Super Sonic finale like that...? Laziness is my only excuse...)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I haven't noticed any particular upticks or lack-there-of in any of the games. There might be some extra or lesser amounts in some titles but by and large I don't see any difference in numbers worth having a problem over.

They're pretty much the oxygen in Lost World, you could almost always run in a straight line taking hits without attacking enemies and still be fine. I don't find it too problematic but I've seen people say it makes things too easy, which just made me think. If they had health bars or hearts, or if Sonic couldn't pick rings back up at all like in the 8 bit games, they'd be entirely different beasts.

2 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

They're pretty much the oxygen in Lost World, you could almost always run in a straight line taking hits without attacking enemies and still be fine. I don't find it too problematic but I've seen people say it makes things too easy, which just made me think. If they had health bars or hearts, or if Sonic couldn't pick rings back up at all like in the 8 bit games, they'd be entirely different beasts.

Just have to be pedantic and say that Sonic 1 is the only 8-bit game where you can't pick up your rings, as far as I know.

I'm probably not the best person to talk about the ring system - all I know is that, being someone who's not the most precise and skilled gamer, I LOVE how forgiving it is. x)

1 minute ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Just have to be pedantic and say that Sonic 1 is the only 8-bit game where you can't pick up your rings, as far as I know.

I'm probably not the best person to talk about the ring system - all I know is that, being someone who's not the most precise and skilled gamer, I LOVE how forgiving it is. x)

You couldn't pick rings up in that version?

I do know if you lose rings over spikes in Mania those things slurp em away so they're gone in a flash. No getting those back.

Being able to constantly pick up rings serves the purpose of punishing the player for being too reckless as they speed through a level, but without having to redo entire sections of a level over again, or if you want to compare it to how Mario handles health, be at a disadvantage in later levels because you made a single mistake. It's forgiving but still fair.

And its not like Sonic games are easy for everyone. If you guys watched that guy Dan from Extra Play try the classic games, you'd see how difficult the games can be for a newcomer, seeing as he got a game over in Hydrocity.

Difficulty in games will always be subjective, but if you ask me, anyone that says rings make Sonic games too easy are reaching for reasons to criticize them. It's similar to the argument that you can beat Sonic games by just holding right.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not sure on all of the games which did this, but the likes of Sonic Rush added an extra element to the ring system. Sonic could re-collect drops rings after taking a hit like usual, however the rings would scatter further and bounce higher with repeated drops to the point where you're pretty much forced to go find new ones. or go without in the case of boss fights.

The classics certainly favoured inconveniencing the player as punishment rather than killing them outright (not without exception) hence the ring system, which could also be considered as somewhat of a counterbalance to the reduced visibility Sonic had compared to the likes Mario because of the fairly large sprites.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Slyke said:

April 30th is a Sunday, which would be a highly unusual date for release. However, seeing as it's also the very end of the month, it would be consistent for a placeholder. The updated Amazon listing of April 25th seems more probable than April 30th.

I assume we'll find out either way come March 16th.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

If I recall correctly, Sonic Unleashed HD & Sonic 1 8-bit are the only Sonic games where you can't pick up your rings (I'm sure there's probably some obscure game I've never heard of).

Although, in Unleashed they made up for it by re-introducing the whole "getting hit only loses a few rings instead of putting the counter back at zero" thing that Shadow brought to the table. Weirdly enough, this went missing in Sonic Colours, came back in Generations and was dropped again in Lost World. 

24 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Here is the original source for that image with a lot more information.

https://imgmr.com/fr/actu-nintendo-switch/sonic-mania-collectors-edition-une-date-de-lancement-sur-switch/

I think my favorite part is how they cite Bomberman R as having an accurate date, when the difference is that Bomberman's release date has been known for a while now, while Sonic Mania's is still up in the air. Of course Bomberman is going to show the right date.

Again, the 30th is a Sunday, and I think it's incredibly doubtful this game is going to launch on a Sunday. If that's the date they can expect units in the door, then that seems suspect too, since why would they know they're getting units on the 30th but don't have a listed sale date, especially since the games they cite as being accurate are listing sale dates. Then again I don't work in a gamestop or whatever so maybe that's a more common practice than I realize.

Still, it looks like a placeholder to me. That's not to say Mania couldn't launch around that time, I'm just not buying into April 30th as the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think amazons april 25th is way more accurate, since it's a tuesday and most games arrive on tuesdays, at least here in germany. could be april 26th though since wednesday is the day the playstation store usually does it's updates. but we still can't be sure without an official confirmation.

Being honest, I see more of a mid-April as the greatest possibility. I can't see the game releasing at the end of the month for some reason.

Mid-way through just feels... Right...

Anyone else think so?

(A part of me also says early May, but mid-April seems like the sweet spot)

• Thumbs Up 6

6 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Being honest, I see more of a mid-April as the greatest possibility. I can't see the game releasing at the end of the month for some reason.

Mid-way through just feels... Right...

Anyone else think so?

(A part of me also says early May, but mid-April seems like the sweet spot)

Leaning more towards mid-to-late May myself, though I'm hoping you're right and it's mid-April.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes; for a while I had been thinking that it would be released during May, due to the opportunities to play with May/Mania.  Now it also seems possible that it would be released a bit before May:

Then it would be the first full month and perhaps still just a week or so after release, and, everyone will be discovering so much about what the whole game experience actually is.  There may perhaps be some or many special events; I would think there will be some official streams with interviews where the creation and development process can finally be discussed!!

Did the price of the Collectors Edition of the game go down on Amazon?

I have it pre-ordered for the PC (had a fan win a free copy of the game) and I thought it was originally $70 or $80 but it's showing $59.49 USD now.

Was that changed or was that always the price? I feel like it's cheaper.

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Did the price of the Collectors Edition of the game go down on Amazon?

I have it pre-ordered for the PC (had a fan win a free copy of the game) and I thought it was originally $70 or $80 but it's showing $59.49 USD now.

Was that changed or was that always the price? I feel like it's cheaper.

The original price is $70, but amazon prime gives a 20% discount on the item.

So, 80% of $70, then add tax, you got yourself $59.49 USD.

So no, the price didn't drop, you're just seeing the Amazon Prime 20% discount benefit :D

35 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

The original price is $70, but amazon prime gives a 20% discount on the item.

So, 80% of $70, then add tax, you got yourself $59.49 USD.

So no, the price didn't drop, you're just seeing the Amazon Prime 20% discount benefit :D

Ah...

A tad confused though, I'm not a prime member...

If you use the pre-order bonus on Best Buy's gamer's club, you can get it for around that much too. I got a gift card to Best Buy for christmas and have GCU so I think in the end I'm only paying like, 20 bucks.

I love dealz

29 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

#BYTHEMANIA

Yay, we are all Sonic Maniacs.

Sonic Mania: Made by Maniacs for the maniacs.

...and, yes he's right. Mania plays great and will turn out awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1