Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

I think for THIS game, not fading out between zones is gonna be an impossibility, due to the fact that the returning zones are just so far apart in geography.

Unless we have a zone set on a moving location like Flying Battery between every single zone that was originally far apart, it'll seem like these levels are all located right next to each other otherwise.

But maybe in a fully original game, it'd be neat to see.  You'd prolly still need to use at least jump cuts on occasion to change to a very different location - for example boarding the Death Egg after Sky Sanctuary in S3&K.  In order to show what Sonic is getting into, the Death Egg needed to be visible in the background, but you couldn't have him leap straight from the tower into the first corridor of Death Egg Act 1 without it looking like he's on some location in the foreground that isn't the Death Egg.  In that situation you'd need to have him leap off camera, or have a custom animation where he travels into the background and goes inside the structure, then we jump cut to Death Egg Act 1 without a fade-to-black to show him arriving inside.  I could see that being a neat effect that wouldn't really go against the idea of keeping it transition free.

Though if they DID manage to do it without any jump cuts, AND the levels were designed to never (theoretically) occupy the same space as one another (no endless loops either), it'd be pretty friggin' fun to map out an entire Sonic game as one giant connected level.

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

This is making me even more curious about how the returning levels are going to fit into the story. What reason are we gonna have for going to 'em all? I mean, obviously the answer is "Eggman's there," but it'll be interesting to see if there's an actual reason for that.

Most likely he is retrieving bits and pieces from past machines tobmake a mega mech lol I'd like to fight the last boss in sonic and knuckles  again powered up

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

This is making me even more curious about how the returning levels are going to fit into the story. What reason are we gonna have for going to 'em all? I mean, obviously the answer is "Eggman's there," but it'll be interesting to see if there's an actual reason for that.

Yes ^_^  There almost certainly but otherwise hopefully will be some wonderful cutscenes of arriving and departing each island similar to how it is in S3K!  Seeing what must be South Island and Westside Island together in the background of the title screen has me most excited for Sonic Mania!  It is part of the original games' feel that there were these unique islands.

It is also a good reminder relative to future games by this team, that there are either many entire continents, ( or, just billions of islands? :P:):o ) , that have never been visited!  

In reference to a news post that's shown up on the front page, I thought it might be worthwhile to revisit this statement from Christian Whitehead on Sonic Retro:

No Woody Zone sorry! Mirage Saloon was an obvious choice since Desert Dazzle didn't get its time to shine, and Dust Hill is legendary. But our other new Zones are focusing on new tropes entirely.

An interesting suggestion appearing in the community after the Heavies' silhouette artwork was shown is that the possible Heavy Ninja is connected to a zone idea that was drawn on paper but not considered for Sonic 1!  That is what came to mind, that there could be some zones that would be essentially new but also bring long dormant creative ideas to life!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, expansivelovestories said:

An interesting suggestion appearing in the community after the Heavies' silhouette artwork was shown is that the possible Heavy Ninja is connected to a zone idea that was drawn on paper but not considered for Sonic 1!  That is what came to mind, that there could be some zones that would be essentially new but also bring long dormant creative ideas to life!

Did they find out what the zone was? Is it like a dojo or something?

Just found out it was going to be a mountain water level. This would be cool to see!

Edited by Psychicmoose103

S1concept3.JPG
Click for full size!

Yes!  This at least among the type of unused earlier game ideas that would not in any way be considered an old zone trope!  It basically exists either in this drawing alone or in a few others that remain in the archives.  The team would basically be creating the actual complete zone from scratch.    

http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(16-bit)#Level_Concept_Art

^^ It is interesting that some of these really look like they would work well specifically with Mania's expanded graphical capabilities. 

So what do you guys think the story of this game is gonna be? Here is my thoughts

So eggman is going to use the new item to try and take over the world. Sonic and Tails need to gather the chaos emeralds and stop him. And that egg robo from Sonic 3 is messing with Knuckles again. Maybe knuckles will be tricked, the time stones may be involved, or metal sonic will return, but it's hard to really think of a detailed plot because we don't know much yet. What do you guys think?

9 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

So what do you guys think the story of this game is gonna be? Here is my thoughts

So eggman is going to use the new item to try and take over the world. Sonic and Tails need to gather the chaos emeralds and stop him. And that egg robo from Sonic 3 is messing with Knuckles again. Maybe knuckles will be tricked, the time stones may be involved, or metal sonic will return, but it's hard to really think of a detailed plot because we don't know much yet. What do you guys think?

It's very hard to predict because, while we know broadly what some of the new elements are, we don't know anything about them; a "new item" could be almost anything.  But if we're trying to incorporate the old locations into the plot, then...

Eggman has a diabolical plan to revive his engineering empire using the [number of classic levels] power gizmos that were knocked out of his machines during some of his previous clashes with Sonic.  Sonic and his friends catch wind of Eggman's evil scheme and pursue him to put a stop to it, though the old zones where Eggman is searching for his power gizmos and the new zones where he sends his new squad of Hard-Boiled Heavies to beat the hedgehog.  Tails is around because he's Sonic's friend, Knuckles is along for the ride because he wants revenge.

...Alternatively, the idea that these are literally Eggman's artificial recreations of old zones has a lot of potential, too; maybe the new item is some kind of terraformer, like the Badnik Generators in CD.  I'd also suggest that Eggman just flat-out rebuilding an old zone is probably canon for Flying Battery, at least.  In that light, the final level could be some kind of super-meta game environment.

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

It's very hard to predict because, while we know broadly what some of the new elements are, we don't know anything about them; a "new item" could be almost anything.  But if we're trying to incorporate the old locations into the plot, then...

Eggman has a diabolical plan to revive his engineering empire using the [number of classic levels] power gizmos that were knocked out of his machines during some of his previous clashes with Sonic.  Sonic and his friends catch wind of Eggman's evil scheme and pursue him to put a stop to it, though the old zones where Eggman is searching for his power gizmos and the new zones where he sends his new squad of Hard-Boiled Heavies to beat the hedgehog.  Tails is around because he's Sonic's friend, Knuckles is along for the ride because he wants revenge.

...Alternatively, the idea that these are literally Eggman's artificial recreations of old zones has a lot of potential, too; maybe the new item is some kind of terraformer, like the Badnik Generators in CD.  I'd also suggest that Eggman just flat-out rebuilding an old zone is probably canon for Flying Battery, at least.  In that light, the final level could be some kind of super-meta game environment.

I think Taxman said they are treating the areas "like a living breathing world, and stuff grows in it" with this info, it seems like that green hill zone is the same green hill. However this makes sense for flying battery. Maybe Sonic and Tails just went back to Green Hill after 3&K, maybe because Sonic lives there, or Sonic wanted to show Tails.

My take on Sonic Mania's plot is that Robotnik has created the Sonic Island (seen on the title screen) with artificial remakes of some well known zones. Why? Not sure. Perhaps Robotnik needs Sonic to find or do something on these zones.

It's a placeholder. The delay was just barely announced, there's no way they already figured out a release date in such a short amount of time.

I know Tee joked on his Twitter before about how anything he (or anybody on the Mania team for that matter) posts gets taken as confirmation of a zone, character, gimmick, whatever being present in Mania... but boy do I hope this doesn't indicate Labyrinth is in Mania. The official Sonic twitter has tweeted out images of Labyrinth recently as well, if my memory serves me right.

Like, I think it's the best level in Sonic1 (because I'm a crazy person), but Hydrocity is so much better, and if it gets snubbed I'm going to be a sad boy.

Eh, don't look at it that way. Just think of it as an excuse to make Labyrinth Zone just as good, if not better, than Hydrocity Zone. Besides Sonic 3 already gets more love from the community than any of the other classics so its only fair to show a little of it towards Sonic 1 right?

Well, it still has to be pace breakingly blocky...or it just wouldn't be a faithful remake. It's the one level that didn't have slopes, that you could run on anyway,

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

I'd love for them to include that zone for the sake of a bait and switch, make the general fanbase groan in dread during the title card hearing the first few notes then actually make the stage fun and fast paced.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for.

If they can take one of the most dreaded zones, and make it fantastic, it would be glorious.

The reason im hesitant about Hydrocity getting a remake is because it's already a perfect zone. If they go into remaking it, it has such a high-expectation ceiling. It's like trying to fix something that isn't broken. It would have the potential of breaking, or at least not living up to the hype, thus why i'd rather play it safe and rather take a zone that is hated, and make it loved.

Going from Bad >> Fantastic is WAY easier and WAY more rewarding and WAY more exciting than attempting to go from Fantastic >> Fantastic+1.

Count me in for fixing Labyrinth and letting Hydrocity remain pure :)

IF both get in the game, hell, that would be even better ;)