Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

11 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

...you have to get rings and lives as much as possible, cuz you never know when you're going to mess up.

Ah, I see. You have to do things that are more likely to cause you to mess up in order to make punishment less severe for when actually do mess up. All without a save data clutch.

Totally get it.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Ah, I see. You have to do things that are more likely to cause you to mess up in order to make punishment less severe for when actually do mess up. All without a save data clutch.

Totally get it.

... You will end up exploring the stage more.

It takes it back to its arcade roots, there's not much more to it, really. That said, I enjoy playing through the classics from the first level and avoid getting the Chaos Emeralds each time. I'd be astonished if Mania doesn't have a no-save mode.

Well I thought that no save mode was useful for what if you just wanted a leisurely run through some zones or something and didn't feel it was something worth saving. You know what I mean? 

• Thumbs Up 5

Regardless of the reason for it, it's a harmless addition.

It was already included in the mobile remasters, so it would be a surprise not to see it here too. Thoroughly expecting some kind of cheat codes as well, in true Taxman style. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

... You will end up exploring the stage more.

I think your first answer worked better, it was reasonable. This here isn't true for everyone.

How much someone like me explores a stage is entirely dependent on how long I've been playing the game.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I think your first answer worked better, it was reasonable. This here isn't true for everyone.

How much someone like me explores a stage is entirely dependent on how long I've been playing the game.

...You don't have to if you don't want to. As Blue Blood said, it's a harmless addition.

Ah yes, the good old days with Sonic 1&2 when you got a game-over and you had to start all over again from the beginning (unless you earned a continue). You youngsters don't know how easy you have it these days :V

Mania will have a no-save mode option 100% guaranteed, along with debug-mode (which Taxman has already hinted at) and time attack mode etc. 

I prefer a saved-mode for the classics because it's a record/proof of your completed playthrough and a save-mode like 3&K or the Sonic 1&2 remasters allows you replay any zone to your hearts content.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only reason I would disapprove of No Save mode is if it's the only way to unlock level select like in the remasters. That was just inexcusable.

Erm.

Barring Sonic CD, once you beat the last level, you can select any level you want.

4 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

The only reason I would disapprove of No Save mode is if it's the only way to unlock level select like in the remasters. That was just inexcusable.

I didn't know that (never played the remasters apart from Sonic CD years ago) but I doubt they'd make this decision again for Sonic Mania, it'd be dumb and so far the decisions made in Mania have been pretty much all good (even the returning zones have been handled awesomely).
It'll probably be unlocked once the game is finished once, independently of if it's completed with or without saving.

6 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

'No save mode' is the only way to activate cheats. You can access the levels as Indigo said. The feature wasn't always present in S1, but it was in S2 and eventually got patched into S1. CD is the only one that doesn't have a standard level select, which I'll agree is a nuisance because it locks you at MM3 upon completion.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

'No save mode' is the only way to activate cheats. You can access the levels as Indigo said. The feature wasn't always present in S1, but it was in S2 and eventually got patched into S1. CD is the only one that doesn't have a standard level select, which I'll agree is a nuisance because it locks you at MM3 upon completion.

The only way to to unlock level-select in the 2011 version of CD is to beat all time attack stages (normal & special stages) within a certain time.

The only reason CD wasn't patched like Sonic 1 is because it was made on a much older version of the Retro engine.

Is there any character you're hyped to see with a new sprite?

I'm really hyped to see Super Sonic new's sprite.
I'm especially curious to see if it'll have black or green eyes, I'm guessing black because the sprites are more based on Sonic 2 and Classic Super Sonic artworks from what I know have never had green eyes, not even Sonic 3 & Knuckles' ones.
I also want to see what shade of yellow they'll use.

Another sprite I really wanna see is Eggman's of course, the fact that they have been carefully avoiding showing him really raises my hype.
Eggman has the best sprites in the classics imho and I really wanna see how he'll look here, who knows maybe they'll even take inspiration from his sprites in Knuckles' Chaotix.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I for one will do a no save run first with all 3 characters before I begin saving my game. I want this to be as much like the old days as possible. I can't freaking wait.

For me, it'll be a Knuckles run first of all. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if the characters have to be unlocked. Knuckles has always been my favourite, so he gets top billing, no question. 

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

For me, it'll be a Knuckles run first of all. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if the characters have to be unlocked. Knuckles has always been my favourite, so he gets top billing, no question. 

Knuckles is my favorite, but I'll prob do Sonic and Tails first. 

I wonder if playing as Knuckles will change the zones order, like a story mode for each character. Different pathways and start points within the same zone are confirmed tho'.

• Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, Jango said:

I wonder if playing as Knuckles will change the zones order, like a story mode for each character. Different pathways and start points within the same zone are confirmed tho'.

I'd love it if the order change could in some way be subtly influenced by the opposite character's storyline. Say Sonic & Tails get shot at while crossing a bridge in a zone transition out of Studiopolis, the followup zone would be different for Knuckles if he arrives later because that same bridge is blown out. 

I don't mean they'd literally keep showing him running into dead ends but once you've played both the S&T/ S or T solo and the Knuckles stories you'd be able to see what causes their zone orders to be different.

• Thumbs Up 7

34 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Knuckles is my favorite, but I'll prob do Sonic and Tails first. 

Tails is my favorite but I'm gonna do a Sonic & Tails playthrough first because they were the proper "canon" playthrough for Sonic 2 and 3&K. Then I'll play with foxboy, Knux and finally Sonic solo.

20 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'd imagine Knuckles will visit zones in the same order as Sonic & Tails. Whether he'll visit all the same zones is another matter (hope he does). Of course we don't yet if Knuckles story will be the same or different from Sonic & Tails.

I'd only want to see that on acts where knuckles gets a unique route I feel. It's a cool idea but I don't want a situation like Sonic Rush where the zone order varies but there are no modifications to give the same difficulty curve as the regular order.

20 minutes ago, TailsMania said:

Tails is my favorite but I'm gonna do a Sonic & Tails playthrough first because they were the proper "canon" playthrough for Sonic 2 and 3&K. Then I'll play with foxboy, Knux and finally Sonic solo.

I'd imagine Knuckles will visit zones in the same order as Sonic & Tails. Whether he'll visit all the same zones is another matter (hope he does). Of course we don't yet if Knuckles story will be the same or different from Sonic & Tails.

We know it'll be at least a little different from Sonic and Tails. Egg Robo is the boss for Knuckles' stages, meaning his dumb ass got duped again. 

That's not at all what that would mean...

Knuckles getting tricked in Sonic 3 had nothing to do with a random Egg Robo surviving and attacking him (His story is after Sonic and Tails leave). So that wouldn't be the case here either.