Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mmm...

The only thing I'm worried about is SEGA saying "Well, they found out. Lets take it out of the game!" as a punishment instead.

That's what happened to the story mode being absent from Smash U isn't it? I heard the leaks were a big reason at least.

Worse case scenario we get the leak and lose the content in the grand scheme.

That would be awful.

For both the fans and the artist.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mmm...

The only thing I'm worried about is SEGA saying "Well, they found out. Lets take it out of the game!" as a punishment instead.

That's a weird conclusion to reach. It'd be a bit silly to yank something that has a lot of positive feedback from a title that is nearing the end of development, presumably after money has been spent to commission the animation. It's doubtful anything would be pulled.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

That's a weird conclusion to reach. It'd be a bit silly to yank something that has a lot of positive feedback from a title that is nearing the end of development, presumably after money has been spent to commission the animation. It's doubtful anything would be pulled.

Eh, it's many because the animation seems like it could still be at an early enough stage to boot out.

Though granted it's highly unlikely that was just a wore case scenario thing

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I'd say the worst case scenario is the artist loses their job.

Really I think what you need to keep in mind is that SEGA isn't Nintendo. Those companies have conducted business completely differently from one another for decades. Nintendo is all about shutting shit down and subverting expectations. SEGA, meanwhile, is totally fine with fan games, ROM hacks being thrown up on the Steam workshop, and all other manners of IP fuckery that would normally spook other publishers. Assuming this is something that would commissioned for the game, the only way I see it not making the cut is because of time or budget constraints, and even then it seems like the Mania team is being given plenty of both.

Funny thing about all this is the artists reaction helps legitimize speculation. If they and SEGA wanted to keep it under wraps, their best option would have been to not say a thing about it.

Yeah, maybe the artist could lose something after all is done... 
I don't know, maybe nothing bad will happen.

2 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Honestly I hesitated to even write that, because I don't think it's fair to the artist or their employer to make assumptions about how they would handle things like this. I mostly wanted to stress that, hypothetically speaking, there are worse outcomes than us losing some cartoons in our viddy game.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

I dunno, after all the leaks we've gotten in the past, I doubt the guy is going to get into any sort of real trouble. A pat on the hand maybe, but beyond that I'd say the artist is in the clear.

Now if MORE things pop out, then... Maybe it could get a bit heated... But for now I'd say he's in the green, maybe the yellow, but likely green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well shit, the way all this sounds I'm feeling pretty guilty about it. I would never have shared it if I knew it would cause Max Collins trouble, but in my defense I didn't know he was part of a professional animation studio. I came across it on happenstance and just thought it was a fan project that he ended up not being satisfied with so he removed it.

Oh well, if I didn't share it someone else would have found it first. What goes on the internet, stays on the internet. I'll just take solace in the fact I found something that made the community happy to make up for the disappointment a lot of you have had in regards to Sonic Forces. And I highly doubt that Sega would force it to be removed from the game just because we saw it first. They already spent money on it after all and it wasn't even complete.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Honestly I hesitated to even write that, because I don't think it's fair to the artist or their employer to make assumptions about how they would handle things like this. I mostly wanted to stress that, hypothetically speaking, there are worse outcomes than us losing some cartoons in our viddy game.

That's definitely right.

I couldn't care less for the animated intro if someone gets in trouble.

• Thumbs Up 3

So that means CD cutscenes are basically comfirmed.

I really hope nothing bad happens to the artist. The animation was really nice, and everyone makes mistakes. Maybe the best choice would have not been trying to get it off the internet, as it just brings more attention and further proves the rumor. 

18 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Well shit, the way all this sounds I'm feeling pretty guilty about it. I would never have shared it if I knew it would cause Max Collins trouble, but in my defense I didn't know he was part of a professional animation studio. I came across it on happenstance and just thought it was a fan project that he ended up not being satisfied with so he removed it.

Oh well, if I didn't share it someone else would have found it first. What goes on the internet, stays on the internet. I'll just take solace in the fact I found something that made the community happy to make up for the disappointment a lot of you have had in regards to Sonic Forces. And I highly doubt that Sega would force it to be removed from the game just because we saw it first. They already spent money on it after all and it wasn't even complete.

Hey man, don't feel bad about it. It's not like you could have known ahead of time. As for the artist, everyone makes mistakes. Although I hope he doesn't loose his job or anything like that, as he seems to have great talent. I doubt anything bad will happen though.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Considering what I just saw on Twitter, damage control is being done, the artist is asking people to remove the image and GIF file from news posts etc and the initial upload of the image was indeed a mistake which they want to stop from spreading.

Sadly I think it's a bit too late to stop the spread now. Suprise partially ruined, but regardless of how we all and up finding out it's still going to be fantastic news when it "officially" hits.

Edit : I would post the messages from him asking for it to be taken down but I don't know if it breaks any kind of privacy rules etc on the forum. If not I'll post an image or link to the post if moderators etc are interested.

That sounds like almost full confirmation that it's real. 

1 hour ago, Maxtiis said:

So has anyone on this board or Sonic Retro's reached out to Max Collins for comment on that animation of his? When I found it I assumed it was just a WIP fan animation but you guys have convinced me that I stumbled across something a bit more important than I'd initially thought, so I'd like to hear what he has to say about it. If he declines to comment that's fine, but if he says he can't, I'd say that speaks volumes.

Given how everyone involved in promoting Sonic Mania (Aaron, Taxman, Stealth, Sergio) have  been completely dead silent on anything regarding the animation since the leak, I'd say that speaks many volumes. Considering they're always very quick to dismiss fake information on the forums. I'm sure Max and his studio will be fine. If Depression Kong's recoloring is any indication, we're going to be seeing some jaw-dropping animation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, YuTwo said:

“We’ve both been huge Sonic fans since we were kids, both of us were big readers of the Archie series and lovers of SatAM, but we really, really love the games. I mean, I bugged my parents to buy a VHS tape of a Sonic 2 demo because I was so obsessed.”

It shows that both Frank and Geneva are fans of Sonic.

They know what Sonic's all about then. I have zero concerns. No wonder they captured his character so well, even in that short gif.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Have you ever heard of a man called "Masahiro Sakurai"?

4 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Now I feel a weird combo of concern for the artist and joyful excitement. Man, we're in for something special. I certainly hope nothing bad happens to Max Collins, though.

The actual animator is fine. Max wasn't the main animator (possibly effects animator if the speculation I've seen holds weight), and he's been fired now. 

No idea where this Sakurai rumor is coming from.

I seriously doubt they're going to remove scenes because one unfinished animation leaked. What company would waste work like that?

• Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mmm...

That's what happened to the story mode being absent from Smash U isn't it? I heard the leaks were a big reason at least.

Worse case scenario we get the leak and lose the content in the grand scheme.

Just so you know, you missed the mark on the Smash thing.  It wasn't removed because of leaks, they decided it was pointless to make a mode where the main driving force of gameplay was to see cut-scenes that you could just look up on the internet and have the exact same experience as playing them in-game.

This was of course, a major overreaction and disappointing reason to not do a story mode in ANY form (people want the platforming gameplay, not necessarily a deep/complex story) but yeah, wasn't about leaks in the traditional sense.

EDIT: In response to some posts below, "removed" was a bad word choice on my part, I meant that as in compared to Brawl rather than that a story mode was ever going to be in Smash 4.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Depression Kong said:

Have you ever heard of a man called "Masahiro Sakurai"?

Have you ever read my other post where I pointed out the fallacy in trying to compare how people at Nintendo do business versus SEGA?

Just because Sakurai had a kneejerk reaction doesn't mean we should use that to paint a wholly unrelated situation. For that matter, it's not even comparable at face value. Sakurai chose not to invest in a specific type of content in his following game, he didn't remove content from the project he was working on at the time of those leaks.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

The actual animator is fine. Max wasn't the main animator (possibly effects animator if the speculation I've seen holds weight), and he's been fired now. 

Wait what? I feel like I missed something.

• Thumbs Up 3

What are you guys talking about Sakurai? He said he didn't do a story mode in Smash 4 because people would just upload cutscenes to Youtube like they did with Brawl and he found that boring. He didn't remove anything from the game out of spite. It was simply not planned for the game.

On this animation, funnily had the animator or whoever not said anything, I'd have just assumed it was a cool fan animation. Now I'm fairly sure it's in the game. I love that it looks so similar to Hesse's Mega Drive art.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Marcello said:

What are you guys talking about Sakurai? He said he didn't do a story mode in Smash 4 because people would just upload cutscenes to Youtube like they did with Brawl and he found that boring. He didn't remove anything from the game out of spite. It was simply not planned for the game.

Even if he did do something out of spite, it would be a pretty weird leap to assume other developers working with a totally different publisher would do the same.

Back to Sonic Mania, the animated cutscenes. Maybe it's just an intro? Showing parts of the game and quickly introducing the plot (iguessthatswhatanintrodoanyways), like Sonic Colors. Not a story cutscene per se, like the Sonic CD intro, but a quick clip.

13 minutes ago, Jango said:

Back to Sonic Mania, the animated cutscenes. Maybe it's just an intro? Showing parts of the game and quickly introduzing the plot (iguessthatswhatanintrodoanyways), like Sonic Colors.

The cutscene we've seen is likely for an ending cutscene not an intro, because otherwise it's revealing Hard Boiled Heavies before you've even fought them. It would ruin the surprise. 

An ending animated cutscene showing-off the fights with the HBH's would be better (just like Sonic CD's one which shows off the badniks and Sonic's race with Metal).

• Thumbs Up 3

It wasn't supposed to be announced on Twitter...

I don't think he's talking about Forces :ph34r:

@TailsMania Which surprise? :V The Hard Boiled dudes will most likely be a one off squad (like the robot master in Megaman) Eggman's built to slow down Sonic while he's doing... evil things. They're the bosses of Mania, the real surprise will be the fight against them, not THEM, got it? Speaking of Megaman, I can picture the intro of Mania being quite similar to Megaman 8's one. I'm okay with it, throw some j-pop and we're gold.

• Thumbs Up 1