Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Just now, Jango said:

So you're saying he made that animation AT Studio Yotta, and was probably asked by them to remove it, since he doesn't work with them anymore, but SEGA is still their client. That means Studio Yotta are the ones making Mania's animations, but without Max if your though is correct.

For the most part, although I think he did do work on them (otherwise he wouldn't put it up as part of his resume), but he wasn't responsible for any stage beyond the stage he put up so he didn't need to be there through the entire process of animation. For all we know they're still being refined as we speak. 

Of  course, this mostly amounts to postulation at this time, the only concrete thing we have is that he's no longer with Studio Yotta. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

This game is primarily being made for the people who will get what they're going for, though. It makes perfect sense, innit. 

Also what Depression Kong said, aye

Ah ^_^  These are relieving posts to read!  I had been trying to come up with an alternative explanation for the animation so to not be disappointed if it is actually not in the game.  The sequences in Sonic CD especially the credits are among the best experiences of seeing Sonic in motion and they do really fit there.  New work in a similar style, and that will include Tails and Knuckles, will be incredible!!

21 minutes ago, BlueParadox said:

Hey guys, this is kinda off-topic, but a new Classic Sonic fangame called "Sonic Time Twisted" just got released today! So for those of you who can't wait for Sonic Mania, here's something that will keep you busy while you wait for the game ;)

I thought this game was releasing the 19th! Sweet!

• Thumbs Up 1

Lately it seems that Tyson Hesse's method of drawing Classic Sonic is starting to become the standard design for him. I've heard that Sonic Mega Drive was well loved by many of the staff at Sega of America so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided that should be the way he's portrayed in Western developed media from now on. 

• Thumbs Up 6

34 minutes ago, BlueParadox said:

Hey guys, this is kinda off-topic, but a new Classic Sonic fangame called "Sonic Time Twisted" just got released today! So for those of you who can't wait for Sonic Mania, here's something that will keep you busy while you wait for the game ;)

Good taste.

2 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

It's cool to read from Iizuka himself that "the Green Hill Zone has been played hundred times already *lol*"

Do you know what would be even cooler? If they make a fourth wall joke abut GHZ in Sonic Forces' story. It's been hinted by Nakamura already lol!

Huh...

Well, if nothing else this statement coming from him of all people does help to signify the point of putting Green Hill behind the company is fast approaching.

If the top of the top is feeling "Been there, done that" now then it does bode well for future titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Imagine if it's LITERALLY a dialog. Classic Sonic speaking (hopefully he will this time...) to Modern and co.:

"- So, I was running through Green Hill for the hundred time....."

And the level is actually like, a minute long or so.

• Thumbs Up 7

So, I was debating if I wanted to buy a switch pro controller for Mania, and somebody was selling one for really cheap. His name is "John Doster" 

Im not even joking haha.

Anyways, I hope we get confirmation on a physical release and release date. It's the one thing holding me away from collectors edition. If a physical release gets put in the collectors edition, or it's only in the collectors edition, I'm gonna get it. but if it is available to buy from stores, I'll probably not get one. What about you guys?

Too late for me to choose. I already slapped down the money for a collectors edition on day 1. I'll get whatever ships with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/14/2017 at 0:53 PM, Zippo said:

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this but I have some thoughts regarding the possibility of Sonic CD styled animation cutscenes for Sonic Mania

So Studio Yotta considers itself an internet-based animation studio and if you look at their website you can see the majority of their works are online-based.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:34 PM, TailsMania said:

1c2.gif

This is why I think it could possibly be just for an online PV for Sonic Mania

That and because Sonic Mania has been confirmed to have Sonic 3&K styled cutscenes by Christian Whitehead

It might not be it but I think it could be a possibility

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Knuggles said:

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this but I have some thoughts regarding the possibility of Sonic CD styled animation cutscenes for Sonic Mania

So Studio Yotta considers itself an internet-based animation studio and if you look at their website you can see the majority of their works are online-based.

This is why I think it could possibly be just for an online PV for Sonic Mania

That and because Sonic Mania has been confirmed to have Sonic 3&K styled cutscenes by Christian Whitehead

It might not be it but I think it could be a possibility

There will likely be an animated opening and ending, with sprite-based scenes in-game.

Edit

...Gonna be licking my TV screen...

I've got the PS4 Collectors Edition on pre-order, because the Switch version isn't coming to Europe and I'm not wasting time and money importing it. I'll just download the Switch version, or pick up a physical copy if one materialises. I plan on picking up the regular steam version as well at some point. 

I pre ordered the PS4 CE and will get the steam version the night it comes out so I don't have to wait until the delivery guy comes.

I have the PC CE on pre-order, mainly due to not having any of the other consoles it's on. Planing on getting a Switch and PS4 at some point in tge near future tho and will support Mania as much as I can by buying it again on those consoles. I really hope it gets all the attention and the sales to match that it deserves, as this is shaping up to be an amazing work of care and love and so much attention to detail. 

I have the CE on preorder, which should arrive day one. I own a Switch and I'm considering getting it for that too, just so I can dink around in it on the go, but I dunno. There's no real d-pad on that thing and playing sidescrollers with an analog stick is gross.

5 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I have the CE on preorder, which should arrive day one. I own a Switch and I'm considering getting it for that too, just so I can dink around in it on the go, but I dunno. There's no real d-pad on that thing and playing sidescrollers with an analog stick is gross.

I've never had this issue, personally speaking. Analogue sticks are fine for 2D games. The issue only really arises when a game demands a lot if use of the Y-axis or otherwise precise inputs, but Sonic games don't and I've never even had an issue with the spindash or rolling. It's a pretty widespread concern though for all 2D games, so I'm not trying to discredit you here. 

Have you played any 2D games with the Switch's arrow buttons? They work surprisingly well - much better than I had expected them to. The other alternative is the Pro Controller if you've got cash to splash. It's my go-to for the Switch and recommend it infinitely over the Joy-Con Grip. 

Playing Mania in handheld mode an immediate sell for me. I've always been more comfortable playing just about any game at all on a device held in my hands without the big screen. Come release day, I'll be curled up in bed or sprawled out on the sofa, lost in my own little world of Sonic Mania. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Blue Blood said:

I've never had this issue, personally speaking. Analogue sticks are fine for 2D games. The issue only really arises when a game demands a lot if use of the Y-axis or otherwise precise inputs, but Sonic games don't and I've never even had an issue with the spindash or rolling. It's a pretty widespread concern though for all 2D games, so I'm not trying to discredit you here. 

Have you played any 2D games with the Switch's arrow buttons? They work surprisingly well - much better than I had expected them to. The other alternative is the Pro Controller if you've got cash to splash. It's my go-to for the Switch and recommend it infinitely over the Joy-Con Grip. 

Playing Mania in handheld mode an immediate sell for me. I've always been more comfortable playing just about any game at all on a device held in my hands without the big screen. Come release day, I'll be curled up in bed or sprawled out on the sofa, lost in my own little world of Sonic Mania. 

I'm just very picky about these things and need a good D-pad. I plan to go through mania with my USB six-button.

• Thumbs Up 1

Talking about controllers, it might be about time to flood 8bitdo's forums asking for a Genesis bluetooth controller  to play Sonic Mania properly :D

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, molul said:

Talking about controllers, it might be about time to flood 8bitdo's forums asking for a Genesis bluetooth controller  to play Sonic Mania properly :D

If you're willing to settle on a USB controller, Hyperkin's six button is dead on with how I remember the genuine thing feeling. Buttons have about the same give as my three button genesis controller, really good weight to it.

I know that this has been discussed already. But man I love this art style so much, probably my favourite design of all the different takes in the series. 

Would love to see this become the norm for Classic era games in the future. 

Summer feels too far away...

IMG_5459.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

If you're willing to settle on a USB controller, Hyperkin's six button is dead on with how I remember the genuine thing feeling. Buttons have about the same give as my three button genesis controller, really good weight to it.

Thanks :) I heard bad reviews about that pad, so I got a genesis to usb adapter, which surprisingly works with my Nvidia shield tablet. So cool! But if 8bitdo made a bluetooth one, that would rock, because their pads are awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 1