Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's definitely a possibility, I'm just worried about how Super forms will perform in such cramped environments. All that speed and jump height doesn't seem like it would match well with the more clustered CD-esque environments. There are many passages, many walls, etc.

Not that I wouldn't like having him. I'm just worried about issues like clipping through the stage and such, which at the present is an issue even in Normal form but they have mentioned that will be corrected before launch and the whole backward corkscrew thing.

If they can include Super forms without it breaking the game, then certainly. However I do also remember them saying the goal is to collect some new type of item in the game if I'm not mistaken so the emeralds might be getting replaced with some plot-centric items.

About the new items, they might end up having 14 special stages again. Would this lead to a new Sonic form? Maybe the super emeralds don't return but Hyper does?

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

X8MXQ2o.png

Somehow, I think we're going to be fine. 

Oh, there have been times his direction in these fields have been sublime. But there have also been just as many decisions to lead one to concern over his involvement as well, primarily what we've seen with Lost World and Forces thus far.

Beyond the way Knuckles is so pink my only other issue with the game is actually the CD direction with layouts, I'd be happier if I got more of an S3&K vibe out of what we've seen, more sprawled out passages and more of a focus on perhaps three ways to go at best.

CD was a bit too many paths too close together for my liking. That's why I love stages like... Hyrdrocity Zone, correct? And stuff like Lava Reef Zone...

Thaaaaat's the stuff. Tons of room to just run with other paths to pick from if you like, but not have the paths so much shoved in your face. Kind of the issue I had with the BOOM titles on the 3DS as well.

I guess... I'm just a straight shot kinda guy who doesn't mind exploring the other paths, but I don't need tons of them jumbled together.

Taxman's gone on record as hating CD's layout; the Mania layouts barely go to that styling from what I've played and seen. CD was open to allow for as much backtracking as possible; particularly flashy speed-sections and linear progress weren't a focus, because the idea was to explore for the Time Signposts and Generators.

Mania's design is pretty evidently more linear, with a great number of paths to choose from. It's pushing you towards the goal unless you actively try to push back and go back (like in much of the Polygon footage, which fair play, that's what Nick was trying to do). 

I'd say the only way this game's really going to the CD side of things is in aesthetic and music, which CD did best anyways. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah anyone who has played the game hands-on can tell you the CD influence ends with visual and musical inspiration.  The stage design is totally S3&K, probably better feeling too since it's fresh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, JezMM said:

Yeah anyone who has played the game hands-on can tell you the CD influence ends with visual and musical inspiration.  The stage design is totally S3&K, probably better feeling too since it's fresh.

Mmm...

Guess hands on is what it takes. Watching the game makes it seem/feel one way, but I suppose there is truth in the differences between watching and playing...

Another bite one's tongue moment, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Ah, that would explain why I didn't like the level design back at SoS'16! Had the same sort of stop-startey feeling I didn't like, especially in Sonic 3. 

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

Explaining the origin of the Chaos Emeralds ruins the mystery of them, imo.

There is no overall mystery. They are magic birthstones that give anyone that uses them unrivaled power. But the scope of this is never explored. What are there limits. What wishes can they grant. Hell even the dragon balls had a take around them and most likely are based on them

Also they've got to the part where Iizuka talks about the Hard Boiled Heavies. Yep, there was definitely a hint that they may betray Eggman in there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Also they've got to the part where Iizuka talks about the Hard Boiled Heavies. Yep, there was definitely a hint that they may betray Eggman in there. 

Cringe-GIF-Image-Download-19.gif

Again with this plot...?

Can't we even get a Classic game where he's competent enough to instill dominance and fear into his OWN creations to the point they're loyal to the death?

I mean... Next to "Monster of the Week" the whole "Must Betray the Fat Man" schtick is just... Old...

Let us take him seriously in SOMETHING.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Eggman getting the final boss role hijacked from him in a Classic game? That's a first. And I suppose it has been a while since that happened at all. What was the last one, Dark Gaia?

Honestly, the Hard-Boiled Heavies are one of the aspects of Mania that intrigue me the most. I love Heavy Gunner's design, and the silhouettes of the others tell me we're in for some interesting antagonists. (Really hope we're getting Ninja, Knight, and Magician Heavies) And if they actually turn on Eggman successfully, then they'll have established themselves as bigger threats than any other Classic Badnik/Boss, aside from Metal Sonic. (Let's face it, guys: As cool as Mecha Sonic was, he was kind of a pushover)

The project started out like an indies’ game, thus a small team. This is also the reason why the product will be a digital download version which will be cheaper than normal physical copy. I wish this makes it easier for people to buy the game. Please play it. Platforms will include PS4, XBOX One, and Nintendo Switch. Switch has two individual controllers, so if you hand one to another person, you can play it as 2-players anywhere.

Huh, interesting. 

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Huh, interesting. 

Although the fact that it's getting a Collector's Edition and various other pieces of merchandise long before release speaks volumes about the support and faith SEGA has in it. A limited edition physical run, SEGA. That's all we're asking for.

• Thumbs Up 7

I agree with the we don't like being controlled let's turn against him plot. Give  me a "lord eggman is my master and I will kill /destroy you in his name blue fiend."

They are robot army based on Eggman Robots of ‘Sonic & Knuckles’, and each one has different character. They are Eggman’s subordinates, but if they will stay in this position until the end or not… you’ll see. *grin*

Although this does make it sound like they will "turn against him", I don't believe it's going to be like a "now you work with Eggman to defeat these foes", but rather like they become too power hungry and they become your primary threat, not Eggman.

Sure they might not be "subordinates" to Eggman (what a twist), but that doesn't mean you necessarily will work with Eggman.

I imagine it'll be like this:

-Eggman makes HBHs, you fight them across the stages

-You reach Eggman and take him down

-You realize the HBHs get too power-hungry and become an even larger threat than Eggman himself (they take themselves over)

-The final boss isn't Eggman, it's the leader of the HBHs

So it's not a story of siding with the badguy, its a story about badguy makes something that he cant keep control over, and it becomes the true villain in the end.

Does that make sense?

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, JezMM said:

3&K is definitely the right way to go. It has far and above the best stage layouts. Taxman said he's a fan of CD's aesthetics but prefers 3&K's design. We have a dev team who knows what Mania needs to get the best out of stage design and Iizuka overseeing their work makes perfect sense especially considering the first Sonic game he worked on was Sonic 3.

I can actually see level design in Mania's zones inspired from Sonic CD, 2 and 3&K. It's like they're taking the best parts of each games design philosophy and fusing them all together to create "Mania design"...whatever the fuck that means :P

• Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Eggman getting the final boss role hijacked from him in a Classic game? That's a first. And I suppose it has been a while since that happened at all. What was the last one, Dark Gaia?

Honestly, the Hard-Boiled Heavies are one of the aspects of Mania that intrigue me the most. I love Heavy Gunner's design, and the silhouettes of the others tell me we're in for some interesting antagonists. (Really hope we're getting Ninja, Knight, and Magician Heavies) And if they actually turn on Eggman successfully, then they'll have established themselves as bigger threats than any other Classic Badnik/Boss, aside from Metal Sonic. (Let's face it, guys: As cool as Mecha Sonic was, he was kind of a pushover)

One could say Mecha may have done it first, and it was also the D6 who did it most recently (even though they're as incompetent as Eggman is).

Just now, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

One could say Mecha may have done it first, and it was also the D6 who did it most recently (even though they're as incompetent as Eggman is).

But Mecha and Eggrobo were still working for Eggman, and Eggman ended up hijacking the final boss role of Lost World himself. I'm talking about how long it's been since a villain not affiliated with Eggman has successfully taken him out of the picture for a game and set themselves up as the true Big Bad. Aside from Dark Gaia, the only real candidates were Metal Sonic in Free Riders (if you even count that) and arguably Nega-Mother Wisp in Colors DS- though, in the latter's case, Eggman had already been defeated, and the game was just like, "Oh, you got all the Emeralds. Here's a monster that was barely alluded to and is just kinda doing its own thing."

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I'm sure we are gonna get super sonic playable in stages too. Hell, even Sonic 4 had that. I can see super knuckles returning too, as he didn't need to use the super emeralds. Not sure about Tails though.

Actually, some of the levels in Sonic 3&K had 2 in each act. I think Marble Garden, Mushroom Hill, and Carnival Night had a lot more though

Off the top of my dome, Marble Garden, Carnival Night, Launch Base, Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis, and Lava Reef all contained more than 2 per act. I know Marble Garden and Mushroom Hill were downright excessive.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

There is no overall mystery. They are magic birthstones that give anyone that uses them unrivaled power. But the scope of this is never explored. What are there limits. What wishes can they grant. Hell even the dragon balls had a take around them and most likely are based on them

I think giving them limits and concrete rules regarding how they work goes against the whole idea of them being Chaos Emeralds. They're chaotic in nature, there is no real logic or limit to what they're capable of.

• Thumbs Up 5

About the whole heavies betray eggman hint, remember, it's  just a hint, and it could go a few ways. You could fight eggman, heavy takes him out and you fight him, but than eggman returns into a giant mech, smash the heavy and then comes back to Sonic. We never know what could happen, and I say we shouldn't confirm anything until the game is out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who would have guessed that the HBH's were working under Nack the Weasel this whole time with an end game credits reveal hyping a possible sequel. 

What? A guy can't dream no more? Pfft.

• Thumbs Up 6

I for one would love to see even a short appearance from Nack the weasel. I've always felt that as a character he's a real wild card and never used. While he's evil he doesn't always work for Robotnik per se. He's kind of a renegade which makes him a fun character. I'd love to see him in Mania and some references to Sonic Triple Trouble (an underrated game imo) kinda doubting it though 

• Thumbs Up 4