Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

3 hours ago, -Robin- said:

Marble Garden would have been super memorable if the sunset backdrop seen in the scene transition to Carnival Night was used as the background texture of Act 2. Running closeup to the ruins with that color pallet would have been sublime.

FyrOHH0i5UTV4PjArd1pYCHVLmv0vaHdotRpmU6sO655jcMkm5e-K8cHbSdgUOkafBHFvqjAR9gYgN5d7l-Lzpa2gtjsog3Zjwl7xZ-KPLgCG8e4hSqM_ttDrozOcUWW

As it stands though, the corkscrew down running segments from Marble Garden, where you can choose to jump off at any point for one of two routes, has been carried over to Stardust Speedway here, so if we're going by "Zone-specific tropes seen in other stages = not in Mania proper" then MG's out of luck.

Y'know what I just realized? Tails could fly Sonic all night to get to Carnival Night Zone but in game, his flight lasts maybe 8 seconds? What the hell Tails? Step up your game! 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

90% chance Arstechnica is just being dumb. 7% chance they mean the Hardboiled Heavy. 2.9% chance posters of Badniks have been added.

Don't get my hopes up even by .1 percent. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hold up... so according to the elevator we got Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, and then M (for Mania).

Sonic CD isn't shown on there... and its timeslot in the timeline hasn't ever officially been confirmed.

Now another interesting fact is that we are getting Stardust Speedway PAST. Or, at least what CD considers past.

Here is my theory (and feel free to weigh in if you got comments): Sonic CD happens AFTER Sonic Mania.

Thus, visiting the Sonic CD stages you play in the "past" versions BECAUSE the past IS THE PRESENT.

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> K -> M -> CD

Could that be why CD isn't even on the elevator? Because it hasn't happened yet?

It would make sense why we get zones from CD but in their PAST version (and then the time-travelling mechanic wouldn't be needed to be implemented).

Opinions? Thoughts? Likes? ;)

1 minute ago, Gemster312 said:

Hold up... so according to the elevator we got Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, and then M (for Mania).

Sonic CD isn't shown on there... and its timeslot in the timeline hasn't ever officially been confirmed.

Now another interesting fact is that we are getting Stardust Speedway PAST. Or, at least what CD considers past.

Here is my theory (and feel free to weigh in if you got comments): Sonic CD happens AFTER Sonic Mania.

Thus, visiting the Sonic CD stages you play in the "past" versions BECAUSE the past IS THE PRESENT.

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> K -> M -> CD

Could that be why CD isn't even on the elevator? Because it hasn't happened yet?

It would make sense why we get zones from CD but in their PAST version (and then the time-travelling mechanic wouldn't be needed to be implemented).

Opinions? Thoughts? Likes? ;)

I think the reason it's not on there is because they never really had a specific spot it had to happen in

• Thumbs Up 1

If I could retcon anything, I'd forcibly put Sonic CD between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Sonic doesn't meet Tails yet. Metal Sonic's in disrepair. Then the Death Egg Saga happens and there we go. Makes more sense than it happening after 3K where Tails is MIA. Amy being absent is less troublesome because if Adventure still matters, she's seen reminiscing her time with Sonic in CD, as if a significant amount of time has passed. Tails doesn't have anything like this, just a flashback of when they first met.

*cough* but canon don't matter in sanic why do i bother

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

*cough* but canon don't matter in sanic why do i bother

It matter a lot to the individual fan, so bother all you feel necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

...what? No, that doesn't make any sense. CD's "past" is like, hundreds of years or something. Long enough that places have radically changed between past and present, long enough for it to be worth it to Eggman to send his machines into the past to secure his control.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Diogenes said:

...what? No, that doesn't make any sense. CD's "past" is like, hundreds of years or something. Long enough that places have radically changed between past and present, long enough for it to be worth it to Eggman to send his machines into the past to secure his control.

Maybe little planet (because of the time stones) ages and changes at a different pace?

I mean, it's been clear that eggman can build a lot of shit REALLY quickly... it wouldn't be surprising if he managed to whip up that place in a matter of months.

Time dilation?

Highly unlikely, but what if time on Little Planet ran different to normal time somehow? So years on Little Planet were hours to Earth?

As I say, very unlikely, but if you want to discuss head-canons, there's a wild one.

It was just a random train of thought to explain why CD wasn't on the elevator and why we are getting specifically PAST Stardust Speedway.

But hey... that's just a theory. A GAME THEORY.

We don't know that we're getting specifically Past Stardust Speedway, though.  We've only been shown the Past version, but by that logic we aren't getting a Flying Battery Zone Act 2 either.

The elevator fudged the CD issue because they don't want to have to establish a canon chronological position for it.  Just pretend it's folded in with Sonic 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

It was just a random train of thought to explain why CD wasn't on the elevator and why we are getting specifically PAST Stardust Speedway.

But hey... that's just a theory. A GAME THEORY.

The elevator buttons don't actually have to mean anything at all, and while it is weird that they've only shown us Stardust Speedway Past specifically, I can GUARANTEE you that there is going to be more to Stardust Speedway in Mania than what we've seen already.

I still think CD is after 3K. And there's nothing you can do to change my mind. 

*Sticks out tongue and crosses arms* 

Oh, and it has nothing to do with it not happening by the time of Mania, it's just that the progression of Sonic robots is more satisfying this way and Tails not being present for once makes more sense than going to an inferior robot. S3K is pretty much the most ambitious project Eggman ever launched (in the classic series anyway) with plan B's for his plan B's so I don't know why in this one particular field he would find it okay to go back to an inferior robot 

DON'T REVEAL THE SONIC 3 LEVEL, PLEASE SEGA GUYS!!! It's impossible to avoid these spoilers unless you literally quit the internet, which isn't feasible...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

I'd say more than that, but it varies from zone to zone. Palmtree Panic and Quartz Quadrant look almost prehistoric in their pasts, being millions of years old while Stardust Speedway goes around 2000 years back to Roman times. 

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

DON'T REVEAL THE SONIC 3 LEVEL, PLEASE SEGA GUYS!!! It's impossible to avoid these spoilers unless you literally quit the internet, which isn't feasible...

Yeah, but Jango you'll be too busy playing the N-Sane Trilogy. You won't have time to hear about Carnival Night's reveal :P 

Oh and I've just had a word with the Mods. From now on anyone who says CD doesn't take place between Sonic 1 & 2 gets banned!

• Thumbs Up 5

A Sonic 3 stage, huh? Kinda hope it's not Ice Cap actually. There's nothing wrong with it, I just find it a little boring.

I'd personally go with Launch Base or... Marble Garden, maybe.

Just now, Radiant Hero Ike said:

A Sonic 3 stage, huh? Kinda hope it's not Ice Cap actually. There's nothing wrong with it, I just find it a little boring.

Marble Garden isn't coming back. Stardust Speedway took the pillars you run down. 

6 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I really want it to be Launch Base zone. I dislike Marble Gardens though 

Launch Base gets my vote (although Hydrocity is a really close second) - triple points if the underwater segments incorporate elements from Hydrocity

• Thumbs Up 4

Alright, So if we're going by the logic that enemies, gimmicks, and other unique traits seem to deconfirm old zones in the game, then so far, that means no:

-Marble (Batbot is in Green Hill)

-Spring Yard (COPE signs are in Studiopolis)

-Star Light (Stadust Speedway is using this exact same level trope)

-Wing Fortress (Flying Battery is using this exact same level trope)

-Angel Island (Caterkiller Jr is in Chemical Plant)

-Marble Garden (One of it's gimmicks is being used for Stardust Speedway)

-Carnival Night (The spiralling tubes from the level are in Chemical Plant)

-Wacky Workbench (Chemical Plant's bouncy gelatin material is evoking the same magnetic floors from this level)

-Metallic Madness (The directional tubes and junctions are pulled straight from MM for CP)

-Death Egg (Taxman basically confirmed that it won't be making an appearance this time around)

Chemical Plant Act 2 took a lot of old levels' chances with it. 

Is there anything I'm missing? Didn't even bother to add Emerald Hill and Palmtree Panic because lolGreenhillclones. 

People were also ruling out Aquatic Ruins because its music has the 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' whistle, which is also used in Mirage Saloon. I think that's a lil too much, but anyways... I just want Ice Cap, Taxman. Or at the very least, Launch Base.

Given how Angel Island and Marble Garden, (which are 2 of the 3 zones with no apparent music issues) seem to have been axed, and how Ice Cap and Launch Base seem to just be entangled in the aforementioned music issues, I say the writing is pretty much on the wall at this point. Hydro City is going to be the chosen Sonic 3 stage. It's a well loved water level and i'm sure they're going to put some cool new stuff into it. 

I think the following Zones for each game have the best chances:

Sonic 1- Marble (No ruins or lava Zones yet)

Sonic 2- Oil Ocean or Mystic Cave (Most unique aesthetics compared to what we've seen thus far)

Sonic CD- Collision Chaos and Wacky Workbench (Same reasoning as above)

Sonic 3- Marble Garden (Of the three Zones with tracks Sega owns for sure, this stands out the most compared to all Mania's current Zones)

Sonic & Knuckles- Lava Reef (Assuming Marble doesn't get in), Hidden Palace (Maybe an extension into a full Zone?) or something Doomsday-esque (Obligatory Super Sonic finale)

Personally, I just want to see one Sonic 3 Zone and another Hard-Boiled Heavy, and I'll be satisfied until launch.