Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I've never understood the appeal of that design. Weird bulgy head, all sorts of bulky bits, proportions that would fit better in '06...spikes and color aside it barely even looks like Sonic. Metal and even Silver Sonic look like honest attempts to create a robot Sonic, while Mecha looks like someone who had only been given a vague description of Sonic and had never seen him tried to redesign him as a Michael Bay style Transformer.

That's the APPEAL.

It's an evil, merciless creation, it should HARKEN to Sonic with a clearly deadly/malicious design. It appeals much more to me than the direct copy of Metal Sonic's traditional design. I loved the more murderous look of that version I showed.

(Edit)

The traditional Metal Sonic is basically just Knuckles in robotic form. A rival.

The S3&K version is no rival. It looks like it just wants to kill you, then go kill someone else, and continue that chain.

• Thumbs Up 2

It doesn't look murderous, it looks like a trash heap. Mecha's design doesn't "say" anything about or related to Sonic, it's just a generic humanoid robot with a spiky helmet slapped on. Metal works because he actually looks like a robot counterpart, it's a way of letting Eggman challenge Sonic's identity rather than something that's just there to fight and be fought.

The traditional Metal Sonic is basically just Knuckles in robotic form. A rival.

Metal Sonic is a rival to Sonic in a different and much more significant way than Knuckles.

The S3&K version is no rival. It looks like it just wants to kill you, then go kill someone else, and continue that chain.

So it's a generic killbot, so what? That's about the least interesting "character" possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

So... Am uh...

...Am I the only one hoping this version of Metal Sonic returns...?

Metal2.jpg

P.S. - This design will FOREVER be better than the regular Metal Sonic.

You're not alone, man. I loved that metal Sonic.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It doesn't look murderous, it looks like a trash heap. Mecha's design doesn't "say" anything about or related to Sonic, it's just a generic humanoid robot with a spiky helmet slapped on. Metal works because he actually looks like a robot counterpart, it's a way of letting Eggman challenge Sonic's identity rather than something that's just there to fight and be fought.

Metal Sonic is a rival to Sonic in a different and much more significant way than Knuckles.

So it's a generic killbot, so what? That's about the least interesting "character" possible.

Boy... You sure do love trashing things awfully hard.

I get you don't really like the design but come on.

I will say I fail to see how Metal Sonic is in any shape/form more significant than the version I pointed out and/or Knuckles as well. Metal Sonic is basically Knuckles combined with Shadow at the end of it all, that being why I feel Metal Sonic's alternate design helps him stand out in a much better way. He blends in with the rest of the "rival" scene in all ways but his design nowadays. A desire to see him look and be much more lethal and terrifying isn't really such a bad thing with that in mind.

• Thumbs Up 4

What was s3k's metal Sonic name,  by the way? Mecha?

Also, I love the bleep sounds this metal Sonic made when beaten by Sonic. And then there's the epic tower climbing scene, one of the best moments in sonic's histo...Oh Sega c'mon! Give us S3 remastered already! :_(

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Mecha, I wonder if Metal Sonic can use the power of the Master Emerald to become super too. ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Speaking of Mecha, I wonder if Metal Sonic can use the power of the Master Emerald to become super too. ?

Metal Sonic < Mecha Sonic

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Metal Sonic < Mecha Sonic

Considering Mecha couldn't even survive one game, and the fact that Metal once achieved a giant dragon form possessing all the powers of twelve highly-skilled heroes- and was able to hold his own against three Super beings, I have to disagree.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Forte-Metallix said:

Considering Mecha couldn't even survive one game, and the fact that Metal once achieved a giant dragon form possessing all the powers of twelve highly-skilled heroes- and was able to hold his own against three Super beings, I have to disagree.

Actually Mecha did, he's in Sonic Adventure if I'm not mistaken. The difference is Eggman decided to keep using Metal Sonic instead when Mecha Sonic could be considered the successor model.

Mecha does have his own Super form after all whereas all Metal Sonic did was essentially mutate. He didn't really grow in power so much as he did just grow in size. Metal Sonic was vulnerable in his giant form whereas Mecha was invincible while super.

Actually Mecha did, he's in Sonic Adventure if I'm not mistaken. The difference is Eggman decided to keep using Metal Sonic instead when Mecha Sonic could be considered the successor model.

Mecha does have his own Super form after all whereas all Metal Sonic did was essentially mutate. He didn't really grow in power so much as he did just grow in size. Metal Sonic was vulnerable in his giant form whereas Mecha was invincible while super.

That was a completely different model, built from scratch. More importantly, it never did anything.

Metal Sonic survives each and every one of his defeats in good enough condition to be repaired. And like I just said: Metal Overlord had copied all the data of all twelve Heroes protagonists, meaning he had access to all of their powers. And as Eggman said, even with three heroes going Super to stop him, their chances for victory were slim. The fight came down to the wire.

Mecha Sonic's Super form can't even last twenty seconds, and he was completely obliterated by one guy in his base form.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was a completely different model, built from scratch. More importantly, it never did anything.

Metal Sonic survives each and every one of his defeats in good enough condition to be repaired. And like I just said: Metal Overlord had copied all the data of all twelve Heroes protagonists, meaning he had access to all of their powers. And as Eggman said, even with three heroes going Super to stop him, their chances for victory were slim. The fight came down to the wire.

Mecha Sonic's Super form can't even last twenty seconds, and he was completely obliterated by one guy in his base form.

Cannot be confirmed. Likely the original just repaired.

I never saw him use any of the characters abilities and I never understood how copying their powers meant he mutated into an unrecognizable giant version of himself.

The chances for beating Super Mecha were slim yet you still managed. (With skillz boyee)

Metal Overlord couldn't last either, it too was temporary until drained enough and he reverted back to his most basic Metal Sonic form.

Heck, he should have stayed in his new form Heroes gave him instead of reverting back to his nostalgia pandering Classic Metal form.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Cannot be confirmed. Likely the original just repaired.

I never saw him use any of the characters abilities and I never understood how copying their powers meant he mutated into an unrecognizable giant version of himself.

The chances for beating Super Mecha were slim yet you still managed. (With skillz boyee)

Metal Overlord couldn't last either, it too was temporary until drained enough and he reverted back to his most basic Metal Sonic form.

Heck, he should have stayed in his new form Heroes gave him instead of reverting back to his nostalgia pandering Classic Metal form.

1) You mean like how he didn't use Shadow's Chaos Control? He specifically said to the Chaotix, "You're all useless now that I've copied all your data!" And the dragon form came from his copying Chaos's data from Froggy and Chocola, hence why he kidnapped them.

2) You can't exactly confirm that, either. We have no way of knowing how difficult a boss battle is to the character canonically.

3) Metal Overlord didn't have any sort of time limit. It collapsed because Team Super Sonic did too much damage and blasted its body apart. (Yet, unlike Mecha, Metal Sonic's base body remained in pristine condition)

• Thumbs Up 1

1) You mean like how he didn't use Shadow's Chaos Control? He specifically said to the Chaotix, "You're all useless now that I've copied all your data!" And the dragon form came from his copying Chaos's data from Froggy and Chocola, hence why he kidnapped them.

2) You can't exactly confirm that, either. We have no way of knowing how difficult a boss battle is to the character canonically.

3) Metal Overlord didn't have any sort of time limit. It collapsed because Team Super Sonic did too much damage and blasted its body apart. (Yet, unlike Mecha, Metal Sonic's base body remained in pristine condition)

Can't be confirmed again, it's possible.

You do get a point there, but Mecha collapsed for the same reason.

By and large Mecha appeared still pretty pristine, just sparking like mad. (Then again, you could argue technical limitations, we'll never know)

Metal Overlord was bad for the same reason Mecha Sonic was bad, they abandon any meaningful relationship with Sonic in favor of just being generic enemies.

By and large Mecha appeared still pretty pristine, just sparking like mad. (Then again, you could argue technical limitations, we'll never know)

Mecha explodes after Knuckles beats him.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Metal Overlord was bad for the same reason Mecha Sonic was bad, they abandon any meaningful relationship with Sonic in favor of just being generic enemies.

Mecha explodes after Knuckles beats him.

No they did not. They just abandoned the nostalgia pandering Classic form, that's what I feel you hate so much.

Does he? I know there's some sort of explosion going on but the screen flashes before you see Mecha vanish from said explosion. Knuckles likely just escaped the radius leaving Mecha lying in some shut down state. Again, he was still in Adventure.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

No they did not. They just abandoned the nostalgia pandering Classic form, that's what I feel you hate so much.

Does he? I know there's some sort of explosion going on but the screen flashes before you see Mecha vanish from said explosion. Knuckles likely just escaped the radius leaving Mecha lying in some shut down state. Again, he was still in Adventure.

That looks pretty destroyed to me. I highly doubt Eggman had enough to salvage and repair.

Come off it, there's nothing "nostalgia pandering" in expecting a robot Sonic to actually look like a robot Sonic. I expect a modern era Metal Sonic to look like Modern Sonic just the same as I expect a classic era Metal to look like classic Sonic.

It's just before the screen fades to white, but he does very clearly explode into pieces.

SFpbVw8.png

• Thumbs Up 1

That looks pretty destroyed to me. I highly doubt Eggman had enough to salvage and repair.

...Ah F@$K...

Well, still, several of my other arguments revolving Mecha do still stand nonetheless. I feel like Metal Sonic suffers too much retaining his Classic Metal design and sticking so purely to his "Sonic Rival" existence from CD since we have Knuckles and Shadow to fulfill those roles. He needs the same overhaul in design and character that Heroes provided if they plan to keep using Metal Sonic and have any intention of making him worthwhile to any degree other than bringing him around for the same purpose as they brought Classic Sonic back in Generations.

If they just want Metal Sonic for nostalgia's sake, I pity him more than appreciate him.

Neh-man Mecha Sonic is inferior to Metal Sonic in every way. Sure Mecha is cool regardless but it can't beat the elegance of Classic/Modern Metal-Sonic. Metal is a actual character in the series. Were as Mecha is only classified as a one shot boss. I really don't see the obsession some fans have with Mecha outside of pure nostalgia or perhaps they are just gundam/megaman fans?... Metal is much more suited to the series style with his built for speed bullet like style design. Where Mecha seems like a generic battle bot with spikes added on it's head... it's a ok design but doesn't scream Sonic style. I could understand if somebody said they'd like to see both Metal & Mecha to appear in the series... but never Mecha replacing Metal altogether as the main Sonic bot! Regardless Metal Sonic isn't going anywhere, because to say it again Metal is counted as a real character among the main recurring characters list by Sega.

20 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

He needs the same overhaul in design and character that Heroes provided if they plan to keep using Metal Sonic and have any intention of making him worthwhile to any degree other than bringing him around for the same purpose as they brought Classic Sonic back in Generations.

Metal Sonic did get a redesign on the same level as Sonic. Modern Metal is much more detailed then Classic Metal...And no we don't need the Neo Metal design which looks way to different.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Neh-man Mecha Sonic is inferior to Metal Sonic in every way. Sure Mecha is cool regardless but it can't beat the elegance of Classic/Modern Metal-Sonic. Metal is a actual character in the series. Were as Mecha is only classified as a one shot boss. I really don't see the obsession some fans have with Mecha outside of pure nostalgia or perhaps they are just gundam/megaman fans?... Metal is much more suited to the series style with his built for speed bullet like style design. Where Mecha seems like a generic battle bot with spikes added on it's head... it's a ok design but doesn't scream Sonic style. I could understand if somebody said they'd like to see both Metal & Mecha to appear in the series... but never Mecha replacing Metal altogether as the main Sonic bot! Regardless Metal Sonic isn't going anywhere, because to say it again Metal is counted as a real character among the main recurring characters list by Sega.

Then they should at least bring back his Neo-Metal  design as the new permanent Metal Sonic look, otherwise I will keep considering it a nostalgia pandering existence just to mooch of people memories of the past. I was excited for the steps forward they took with Metal Sonic in Heroes and actually hated how he went back to "Good ol Metal" at the end. If he just reverted back to his Neo-Metal form then fine, I'd still be fairly satisfied, especially if they kept all the character they built into him.

But instead it was back to the Classic Metal look and the mute robot who just races and fights now and then as your rival for the one real Sonic...

That's old man, that's OLD.

14 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Then they should at least bring back his Neo-Metal  design as the new permanent Metal Sonic look, otherwise I will keep considering it a nostalgia pandering existence just to mooch of people memories of the past. I was excited for the steps forward they took with Metal Sonic in Heroes and actually hated how he went back to "Good ol Metal" at the end. If he just reverted back to his Neo-Metal form then fine, I'd still be fairly satisfied, especially if they kept all the character they built into him.

But instead it was back to the Classic Metal look and the mute robot who just races and fights now and then as your rival for the one real Sonic...

That's old man, that's OLD.

Metal's modern design IS different from his classic design... Or have you just never even looked? And NO we don't need his ridiculous Neo design as the default look... It jokingly looked like they tried to give Metal... a heavy metal rocker outfit... It completely lacks the concept & charm of the real Metal-Sonic. The Neo design is way to chunky, extreme and doesn't show that Metal is about speed and not pure power for it to be used as his main design.

12 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

So... Am uh...

...Am I the only one hoping this version of Metal Sonic returns...?

Metal2.jpg

P.S. - This design will FOREVER be better than the regular Metal Sonic.

How coincidental. I made a post just last week about what if there was a new robot duplicate for Sonic to fight in Mania, as if Eggman was making new improvements on failed designs, and because every classic game (except for the original) had one to fight it only seemed appropriate that Mania continue the tradition. And I absolutely love Mecha Sonic's fight and sprite animations, it all feels so dynamic and since he uses similar attacks to Sonic it almost feels like a character battle, but since he attacks you pretty often and doesn't constantly stand around like a dope it actually feels way more fun than any fight with Knuckles has up to this point. So it's nice to see other people are privy to the idea at least.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the charm of Metal Sonic comes from how strictly he follows Sonic in both appearance and, most importantly, proportion.  I do think that Mecha Sonic has a cool design, chunky and detailed, but it's no longer trying to match Sonic in the same way; it feels like Eggman tried to improve on the original, make it more of a boss than a rival.  Neo Metal Sonic likewise is cool as a main villain Metal Sonic, with a more angular and elaborate design, but again, it loses the strict analogy to Sonic himself and becomes, if I'm honest, more generic as a villain.  (I'm admittedly one of the apparently few who is dubious about the idea of Metal Sonic having much of a personality.  I like him better as a soulless machine.)  As I indicated earlier, I would give Metal Sonic a bit of a design overhaul to match who Sonic is now rather than just being a differently-proportioned version of the classic design, but I wouldn't swap it out altogether; I think the base Metal Sonic is the strongest robot Sonic design purely in terms of rivalling Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, FFWF said:

=(I'm admittedly one of the apparently few who is dubious about the idea of Metal Sonic having much of a personality.  I like him better as a soulless machine.)  =

I kinda wish they'd give him back a personality even if it was different from past ideas. Him just seeming like a super badnik with no thoughts of his own makes Metal feel to much like a toss-away boss at times instead of a real reoccurring character.

"I hope X comes back"

"I hope Y comes back"

Why not both. Or a hybrid. Everybody wins! :D

Sonic Mania will rock regardless :)

Additioanlly, I can't reach the Tweet right now, but someone asked Tee Lopes if there will be DLC for Sonic Mania, and Tee Lopes responded with "Anything can happen :)"

Which doesn't sound like concrete information, but he doesn't sound to be denying any plans for it. So it's possible that maybe after the main storyline, there might be DLC which could have additional zones with a different antagonist like Metal/Mecha Sonic.

One can dream!

• Thumbs Up 5