Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I like Mecha Sonic's design more.

Metal Sonic's a chump, by the way. A less effective Boba Fett.

I found Mecha's design to be excellent in S&K. It's visually far more pleasing than his original generic look from Sonic 2. I think the blue color (I can understand how some fans get him confused with Metal), long spikes and long legs really makes Mecha stand out far more. Helps his fights against Sonic and Knuckles in Sky Sanctuary feel more memorable than his sole encounter in Sonic 2's Death Egg.

Image result for Sonic 2 silver sonicImage result for Sonic 2 silver sonic

His super form also looks pretty rad.

Image result for sonic & knuckles super mecha sonic

There may be an argument to not have both Metal & Mecha appear in Mania to avoid any confusion. Either this or just make their design & color distinctly different this time round. If I had to chose I'd vote for Mecha because Metal has appeared in so many more games. I still think Mecha & Egg Robo renewing their rivalry with Knuckles in Mania would be a cool idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking... If they decide to include a Mecha Sonic fight in this game, it should come with a different design, since we've seen like, 4-5 designs from Sonic 2 GG to Sonic Adventure.

Or... I don't know if Sonic Dimension (the LEGO pack) is to be counted as "canon" but, since it brought back both the Sonic 2 version and the Sonic 3(&K) version -the former under the name "Robo Sonic" to differentiate-, Sonic Mania might feature a similar boss rush with the same two robots, especially since they're the "main game" versions.

I'd prefer the former option, but I wouldn't mind the later either.

• Thumbs Up 2

How about a rebuild of all the non-Metal metal Sonics with elements of all of them?  That strikes me as an appropriate and interesting compromise.  (I'd be astonished if it actually happened, though.)

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I kinda wish they'd give him back a personality even if it was different from past ideas. Him just seeming like a super badnik with no thoughts of his own makes Metal feel to much like a toss-away boss at times instead of a real reoccurring character.

I do totally respect this opinion.  My tastes probably stem at least in part from the fact that my Sonic background is mostly in the Classics and the handhelds, so I'm very used to characters being silent anyway, but if I'd had more of a grounding in the Adventure era and had played Heroes I might feel differently.  Regardless, I think Metal Sonic has failed to fulfil his full potential at the moment; the peripheral material likes to treat him as a character, but he hasn't been in many games and very few of those take him really seriously.  A "toss-away boss" is a fair criticism...

I do think there's a case for handling Metal Sonic very differently in a 3D Adventure-style game as opposed to in something like Mania - in which, though, if any metal form of Sonic is in, I expect them to be as silent as Sonic himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel I should probably clarify that I still love Metal Sonic. If anything he'd be a more appropriate choice considering Sega is focusing more on consistency with this franchise. And Sonic Mega Drive certainly showed that Metal Sonic still very much has a place with the classic Sonic aesthetic.latest?cb=20161106153537

In the end Metal and Mecha are pretty much the same thing. If you showed some random guy on the street both of them, he probably wouldn't even know the difference aside from appearance. And I'll be happy with whatever Whitehead and his team put in the game. 

Ha, Mania's title screen music does kind of sound like this Major Magnet piece.

14 hours ago, molul said:

What was s3k's metal Sonic name,  by the way? Mecha?

Technically, every model of Sonic that's not Metal Sonic is a Mecha Sonic, including the one commonly called Silver Sonic (that's a made-up name for it, probably derived from the 8-bit bot). 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Technically, every model of Sonic that's not Metal Sonic is a Mecha Sonic, including the one commonly called Silver Sonic (that's a made-up name for it, probably derived from the 8-bit bot). 

I'm pretty sure Archie Comics were the first to use the name Silver Sonic for the Mecha Sonic from 16-bit Sonic 2.

16 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I'm pretty sure Archie Comics were the first to use the name Silver Sonic for the Mecha Sonic from 16-bit Sonic 2.

Well they probably derived it from Sonic 2 GG, then. Actually that would not surprise me given how inaccurate Archie was back then. 

10 minutes ago, RubyEclipse said:

Hi guys!

Anyone here going to be at our panel at SXSW? :)

Really wanna go, but gonna have to just tune into the stream :(. Can't wait nontheless :D

Speaking of which, has Mania gotten a release date yet or are we still set for spring/summer? 

Considering how much this looks like S3&K, I'm pretty hyped for it, despite my meh attitude towards the classics outside of S3&K

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Speaking of which, has Mania gotten a release date yet or are we still set for spring/summer? 

Considering how much this looks like S3&K, I'm pretty hyped for it, despite my meh attitude towards the classics outside of S3&K

Still Spring, though i'm sure we will get a release date on the 16th.

3 hours ago, RubyEclipse said:

Hi guys!

Don't hold me to this but it might be likely that @Tails' Channel might be there, can't say for sure about that.

Oh and I guess @ElectricAngel could be there.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

Don't hold me to this but it might be likely that @Tails' Channel might be there, can't say for sure about that.

Oh and I guess @ElectricAngel could be there.

With so many people starting to get older and older and their lives taking up more and more of their time I really hope SEGA manages to finally strike real gold with the next generation otherwise they're gonna start having events with fewer and fewer people to attend/report on it asides your usual IGN stuff. The "good ol' boys" in the community won't be around to support things forever, so they've really got to start appealing to more people and fast, and this whole comedy kick and toned down directions ain't cutting it. With the franchise lacking so much meat since Unleashed everybody is starting to starve to death.

Mania and P17 looks like a great first step though, so hopefully this is coming to fruition finally.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

With so many people starting to get older and older and their lives taking up more and more of their time I really hope SEGA manages to finally strike real gold with the next generation otherwise they're gonna start having events with fewer and fewer people to attend/report on it asides your usual IGN stuff. The "good ol' boys" in the community won't be around to support things forever, so they've really got to start appealing to more people and fast, and this whole comedy kick and toned down directions ain't cutting it. With the franchise lacking so much meat since Unleashed everybody is starting to starve to death.

Mania and P17 looks like a great first step though, so hopefully this is coming to fruition finally.

I know exactly what you mean; this has been the worst drought for the Sonic franchise since the Saturn era. The last major Sonic related released was S&ASRT in 2012, or even longer if you only count Sonic Generations in 2011. Since then we've had the lacklustre Sonic Lost World in 2013 and the ill-fated Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric in 2014; although 2013's Sonic Dash is pretty good and still going strong today. While 2015 and 2016 barely saw any Sonic released at all, beyond Sonic Runners (now shut-down) and that last mediocre Sonic Boom sequel on the 3DS. I'm just grateful 2016’s Lego Sonic adventure pack for Lego Dimensions turned-out to be so good, because otherwise there's been little in the way of new content to play.

So yeah, it hasn’t been easy being a Sonic fan these past few years, it’s a testament to the loyalty of the Sonic fanbase that the Sonic franchise still exists nearly five years since the last major Sonic game. That partnership with Nintendo for Wii U exclusive Sonic games brought nothing but trouble; ruining all of the hard work that Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations did to restore the reputation of the Sonic franchise as a whole. At least now both Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 and starting to set things right, by once again expanding the ambition of the Sonic franchise beyond the limitations of Nintendo’s platforms and making future Sonic games available to the rest of the gaming community.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, RubyEclipse said:

Hi guys!

I'd love to attend..but austin is a liiiiittle bit far away from germany I'm afraid. :/ gonna watch the stream though. hope you guys dont disappoint. release date pl0x!

3 hours ago, Kintor said:

I know exactly what you mean; this has been the worst drought for the Sonic franchise since the Saturn era. The last major Sonic related released was S&ASRT in 2012, or even longer if you only count Sonic Generations in 2011. Since then we've had the lacklustre Sonic Lost World in 2013 and the ill-fated Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric in 2014; although 2013's Sonic Dash is pretty good and still going strong today. While 2015 and 2016 barely saw any Sonic released at all, beyond Sonic Runners (now shut-down) and that last mediocre Sonic Boom sequel on the 3DS. I'm just grateful 2016’s Lego Sonic adventure pack for Lego Dimensions turned-out to be so good, because otherwise there's been little in the way of new content to play.

So yeah, it hasn’t been easy being a Sonic fan these past few years, it’s a testament to the loyalty of the Sonic fanbase that the Sonic franchise still exists nearly five years since the last major Sonic game. That partnership with Nintendo for Wii U exclusive Sonic games brought nothing but trouble; ruining all of the hard work that Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations did to restore the reputation of the Sonic franchise as a whole. At least now both Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 and starting to set things right, by once again expanding the ambition of the Sonic franchise beyond the limitations of Nintendo’s platforms and making future Sonic games available to the rest of the gaming community.

In regards to Lost World it came about, if I'm not mistaken, because one of the team members rolled up a sheet of paper one day, thought something about it was a good idea, then the team decided to make an entire title out of that random thing he did/thought of.

Saw it in one of the Lost World interviews I believe.

As long as they don't resort to that kind of decision making again and show a little more effort than that, we're good.

4 hours ago, Kintor said:

As painful as it is to wait, I'd argue it's important for a franchise to take the occasional hiatus. Especially for Sonic after Lost World diminished, and Sonic Boom utterly tanked the reputation Sonic Team worked their asses off to fix after Sonic 06. After something like that, it'd only make sense for a development team to take time to recuperate and decide what comes next. Plus a long wait allows for great PR when a franchise resurfaces after a few years. That's pretty much how Bethesda markets a lot of their games: they reveal them and their fervent communities do the rest of their marketing for them. I'd like to think our communities are similar in that regard, especially since Sega has never really been known for good marketing until Aaron took over the Sonic Twitter (thanks for all the laughs man, hope to have even more in the future). Plus mods. I have high hopes for some good mods to come out of Sonic Mania and Project 2017 when they come to PC, and just for Sonic's future in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

As painful as it is to wait, I'd argue it's important for a franchise to take the occasional hiatus. Especially for Sonic after Lost World diminished, and Sonic Boom utterly tanked the reputation Sonic Team worked their asses off to fix after Sonic 06. After something like that, it'd only make sense for a development team to take time to recuperate and decide what comes next. Plus a long wait allows for great PR when a franchise resurfaces after a few years. That's pretty much how Bethesda markets a lot of their games: they reveal them and their fervent communities do the rest of their marketing for them. I'd like to think our communities are similar in that regard, especially since Sega has never really been known for good marketing until Aaron took over the Sonic Twitter (thanks for all the laughs man, hope to have even more in the future). Plus mods. I have high hopes for some good mods to come out of Sonic Mania and Project 2017 when they come to PC, and just for Sonic's future in general.

Now the situation is we have to hope SONIC TEAM doesn't tank the reputation of the franchise Christian Whitehead and Aaron Webber have worked so hard to restore.

If they screw P17 up over in the East, totally calling for Iizuka to hand the chair to Christian.

16 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Now the situation is we have to hope SONIC TEAM doesn't tank the reputation of the franchise Christian Whitehead and Aaron Webber have worked so hard to restore.

If they screw P17 up over in the East, totally calling for Iizuka to hand the chair to Christian.

CW as the head of sonic team? dayumn, I'd be down with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, RubyEclipse said:

Hi guys!

Get me on the plane I'll go no doubt :lol: Always wanted to visit the US.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should totally just keep Sonic Team, but make a classic sonic team with Christian as the head. So we can get 3D and 2D games

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

They should totally just keep Sonic Team, but make a classic sonic team with Christian as the head. So we can get 3D and 2D games

I was thinking the same thing lately. Sega should buy the whole mania team and call them "Sonic Team Retro" or something like that. would be pretty badass.

• Thumbs Up 1