Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

21 hours ago, RubyEclipse said:

Hi guys!

Anyone here going to be at our panel at SXSW? :)

I'll watch the stream , but would love to go personally, still counting the days though, can't wait for it.

Not sure if already been posted.

But Argos has removed the Physical Edition of Sonic Mania from their website.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Not sure if already been posted.

But Argos has removed the Physical Edition of Sonic Mania from their website.

Wonder if that means sold out or cancelled?

3 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Argos is a big retailer in the UK.

Ah, a US guy here.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:04 PM, RubyEclipse said:

Hi guys!

Anyone here going to be at our panel at SXSW? :)

Live in Austin so definitely going!

3 hours ago, Daisy-Fan said:

do we actually know the release date for the game? i'm think to pre order that PC edition.

The release date isn't known yet but better get that special edition before it's too late.

19 hours ago, FReaK said:

I was thinking the same thing lately. Sega should buy the whole mania team and call them "Sonic Team Retro" or something like that. would be pretty badass.

An official Retro Sonic Team sounds beautifully. If Sonic Mania sells fine, I really hope Sega notices the gold they have before their eyes.

Making this team might finally bring S3K Remaster (it would be nice to make this before a Sonic Mania 2), and S1 and 2 remasters to PC and consoles.

WE WANT A RETRO SONIC TEAM, SEGAH!

I would love to see a Sonic Team of america again but with a classic focus, with Aaron Webber and the Mania team being the main people behind it. just as Iizuka, Hoshino and the Unleashed/Colors/Generations/Lost World team are the main people of Sonic Team Japan

Basically They can be devoted to Classic Sonic & Western related media, while Sonic Team of Japan can focus more on Modern Sonic & Japanese related media over there.

IT'S BRILLIANT I TELL YOU!!!! BRILLIANT!!!!

Somehow I'm certain internal politics would eventually bring everything crashing down like it did for Sega in the mid-nineties during the Saturn's lifetime. No, I'm not saying that Sega will end up in dire financial straits, but if you've read anything regarding Sega of America and Sega of Japan's relationship you know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if communication between the two has gotten any better over the past 20 years, but regardless of company conflict, it might be a bit presumptuous of us to assume that Taxman and his team would want to continue developing classic Sonic games officially for years and years to come. And considering they're pretty much an independent developer, they're entitled to much more freedom to develop what they want, how they want without a publisher like Sega breathing down their necks all the time and I doubt they would want to give that up. You can see some of that already with Sega mandating they have older levels in Mania to make it the definitive anniversary game.

If Mania turns out well and big daddy Sega decides it wants more classic Sonic titles, I'm sure Taxman and his team will gladly make a few more. If he decides he doesn't anymore, Simon Thomley mentioned a few years back he'd love to continue developing classic Sonic games as his career so I'm sure PagodaWest Games could become the lead developers moving forward. Just as long as they don't make Sega of Japan too jealous with their success.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Maxtiis said:

Somehow I'm certain internal politics would eventually bring everything crashing down like it did for Sega in the mid-nineties during the Saturn's lifetime. No, I'm not saying that Sega will end up in dire financial straits, but if you've read anything regarding Sega of America and Sega of Japan's relationship you know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if communication between the two has gotten any better over the past 20 years, but regardless of company conflict, it might be a bit presumptuous of us to assume that Taxman and his team would want to continue developing classic Sonic games officially for years and years to come. And considering they're pretty much an independent developer, they're entitled to much more freedom to develop what they want, how they want without a publisher like Sega breathing down their necks all the time and I doubt they would want to give that up. You can see some of that already with Sega mandating they have older levels in Mania to make it the definitive anniversary game.

If Mania turns out well and big daddy Sega decides it wants more classic Sonic titles, I'm sure Taxman and his team will gladly make a few more. If he decides he doesn't anymore, Simon Thomley mentioned a few years back he'd love to continue developing classic Sonic games as his career so I'm sure PagodaWest Games could become the lead developers moving forward. Just as long as they don't make Sega of Japan too jealous with their success.

I wouldn't really worry too much about potential disagreements about Sega of America. Ever since the fallout of Sega as a console maker, Sega of America has been thoroughly gutted (moreso than Sega of Europe, I'd say); to the point I'd say they have the least bargaining chips of any of the three branches. They've lost quite a few studios (STI, San Francisco, Sonic Team USA, Visual Concepts, etc.) and have arguably bore the brunt of most of the layoffs on the Western side of things; they even ended up losing their longtime San Francisco HQ a couple of years ago and ended up having to relocate to Irving.

Aside from some recent small studios acquired for developing mobile games, they arguably have the least pull compared to Sega Europe and Sega HQ back in Japan. While SoA was recently titled as the "main hub" for operations of the Sonic franchise, I do question on how meaningful the role is given how hard Sonic Boom has crashed and burned as a franchise and was part and parcel of SoA's recent round of layoffs as it is (with only the TV show coming out notably unscathed, and even then it's a miracle it has done so considering how CN is absolutely ignorant about giving the show decent treatment on the network).

But with all that said, I do agree on your disagreement / cautions on the suggestion of the development staff for Mania wanting to be acquired by Sega and continue making (Genesis-styled) Sonic games. Taxman and Stealth (through his Cannonhead company) are both independent developers and have other projects (some unrelated to Sonic) to attend to, and PWG is in itself an indie studio. Moreover, Mania and PWG's previous project (the mobile game Major Magnet) are small low-budget digital titles--which are good in their own right; but doesn't exactly represent their skills to make a "major" (Genesis) Sonic game with production values comparable to with Sonic Team's games or the competition (Mario, DK, Rayman, etc.). Personally speaking, while I think Mania is very much a good thing for bringing classic Sonic back to form, I want digital retraux games (or heck, if even possible, 2D games) to be the floor for where future Genesis Sonic games can go from here, not the ceiling.

That's not to say I don't want a studio dedicated to making Genesis Sonic games, though. If anything, I'd say it's what Genesis Sonic has needed for years, as I don't think Sonic Team/Iizuka, and most studios that have taken a tenure to make platforming games with Sonic (Sanzaru, BRB, and especially Dimps) are interested in that direction of the series whatsoever, in any meaningful sense. If/when Mania passes with all flying colors, it should be used as a jumping point to get such a studio started IMO.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay so you guys know how Aaron likes to hint little secrets among the Sonic social media outlets right?

So today they posted a gif of sonic snowboarding down an ice cap, in ice cap zone from Sonic 3.

What's more interesting is the tags located under this item:

As earlier believed, that "sprite" of him sliding, matches this post perfectly.

Additionally, the tags of "What it means to go fast" matches the recent interview article and about the upcoming March 16th SXSW showcase.

Do you guys possibly think that this is hinting that at SXSW on March 16th, they will showcase Sonic Mania - Ice Cap zone?

Theory.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't really say that's a hint towards anything honestly.

Sega has used Gotta Go Fast and stuff like that quite a few times in the past, (It's almost a bit of a slogan by now.) so I doubt it's hinting towards Ice Cap or anything related to Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BlueBlur91 said:

I won't really say that's a hint towards anything honestly.

Sega has used Gotta go fast many many times in the past, so I doubt it's hinting towards Ice Cap or anything.

I would agree in most cases, but the fact that the article is "What It Means To Go Fast" and the tag is "That Is What It Means To Live of Life of Going Fast"

The fact that both of them are "What it means To Go Fast" (one with a couple extra words in the middle), sounds like such a... coincidence.

It's not just "Gotta Go Fast", but both "What it means to go fast".

I still doubt it to a degree, but then again I've been wrong and surprised quite a few times in the past.

So who knows what we'll see at the panel.

sonicshrug.jpg.e36f273e0edf1ca8027970bfd1283bdd.jpg

All I know is that I can't wait to see what Sega has to show.

And I hope we get something good from it. (Which we certainly will.)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I wouldn't really worry too much about potential disagreements about Sega of America. Ever since the fallout of Sega as a console maker, Sega of America has been thoroughly gutted (moreso than Sega of Europe, I'd say); to the point I'd say they have the least bargaining chips of any of the three branches. They've lost quite a few studios (STI, San Francisco, Sonic Team USA, Visual Concepts, etc.) and have arguably bore the brunt of most of the layoffs on the Western side of things; they even ended up losing their longtime San Francisco HQ a couple of years ago and ended up having to relocate to Irving.

Aside from some recent small studios acquired for developing mobile games, they arguably have the least pull compared to Sega Europe and Sega HQ back in Japan. While SoA was recently titled as the "main hub" for operations of the Sonic franchise, I do question on how meaningful the role is given how hard Sonic Boom has crashed and burned as a franchise and was part and parcel of SoA's recent round of layoffs as it is (with only the TV show coming out notably unscathed, and even then it's a miracle it has done so considering how CN is absolutely ignorant about giving the show decent treatment on the network).

But with all that said, I do agree on your disagreement / cautions on the suggestion of the development staff for Mania wanting to be acquired by Sega and continue making (Genesis-styled) Sonic games. Taxman and Stealth (through his Cannonhead company) are both independent developers and have other projects (some unrelated to Sonic) to attend to, and PWG is in itself an indie studio. Moreover, Mania and PWG's previous project (the mobile game Major Magnet) are small low-budget digital titles--which are good in their own right; but doesn't exactly represent their skills to make a "major" (Genesis) Sonic game with production values comparable to with Sonic Team's games or the competition (Mario, DK, Rayman, etc.). Personally speaking, while I think Mania is very much a good thing for bringing classic Sonic back to form, I want digital retraux games (or heck, if even possible, 2D games) to be the floor for where future Genesis Sonic games can go from here, not the ceiling.

That's not to say I don't want a studio dedicated to making Genesis Sonic games, though. If anything, I'd say it's what Genesis Sonic has needed for years, as I don't think Sonic Team/Iizuka, and most studios that have taken a tenure to make platforming games with Sonic (Sanzaru, BRB, and especially Dimps) are interested in that direction of the series whatsoever, in any meaningful sense. If/when Mania passes with all flying colors, it should be used as a jumping point to get such a studio started IMO.

I blame that on SEGA of Japan's lingering racism toward the West, torment them first before doing anything to their own side of things naturally... Especially since, oh, I dunno... They still loathe SEGA of America and to a big degree SEGA of Europe for being entirely responsible for Sonic's success back in the 90's while SEGA of Japan's president just kicked chairs around and whined...?

(Yeah, venting a bit...)

BOOM crashed and burned ENTIRELY because of SEGA of Japan meddling with the west and Big Red Button's plans due to forming exclusive deals behind their backs and letting teams know about things LAST D@MN MINUTE.

I blame that on CN yes, but also because SEGA is being a bunch of pansies and not doing a thing to stand up for their own product and allows the TV company to do what it wants even if it ruins SEGA's own product.

(It's not common sense, it's SEGA sense, a new motto there.Still venting)

SEGA of Japan should never have closed the doors of Sonic Team of America because after that point everything went to pure and total hell for the franchise by and large with merely a lucky strike now and then.

(Done venting)

5 hours ago, Gemster312 said:

Okay so you guys know how Aaron likes to hint little secrets among the Sonic social media outlets right?

So today they posted a gif of sonic snowboarding down an ice cap, in ice cap zone from Sonic 3.

What's more interesting is the tags located under this item:

As earlier believed, that "sprite" of him sliding, matches this post perfectly.

Additionally, the tags of "What it means to go fast" matches the recent interview article and about the upcoming March 16th SXSW showcase.

Do you guys possibly think that this is hinting that at SXSW on March 16th, they will showcase Sonic Mania - Ice Cap zone?

!!  The twitter post directly says ``Ice Cap Zone``, so it is unique to see that they are directly referencing it during this time period! 

It may not be at the panel, but it seems to even just ever so slightly nudge forward the idea that it is actually in Mania somewhere; possibly for example even as a 2/3 player competition zone which means it could have new music following the Sonic 2 format, therefore being fully eligible for inclusion and possibly also nudging a previously 2 player exclusive zone from Sonic 3 into the main game!! 

Then also, some people have guessed based on the sprite reveal that some type of board mechanic (surf, snow, sand, lava??, hover) could be present somewhere in Mania, but possibly not in the expected zones!  It seems possible that it could be in multiple zones. 

1 minute ago, expansivelovestories said:

!!  The twitter post directly says ``Ice Cap Zone``, so it is unique to see that they are directly referencing it during this time period!  It may not be at the panel, but it seems to even just ever so slightly nudge forward the idea that it is actually in Mania somewhere; possibly for example even as a 2/3 player competition zone which means it could have new music following the Sonic 2 format!

Some people have guessed that some type of board mechanic (surf, snow, sand, lava??, hover) could be present somewhere in Mania, but possibly not in the expected zones!  It seems possible that it could be in multiple zones. 

I think it means an ice focused zone is coming, but possibly not Ice Cap itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm!!  Depending on how much time has passed (although it wouldn't have had to be very long) it could be that the Lava Reef volcano/caldera now has a snow cap around the perimeter and down the mountainside a bit! 

I'm not sure if/how it would work as a zone necessarily, but, considering that the subterranean areas are being accessed for the first time in Green Hill, higher regions than before of other zones may be possible too! 

Seeing the snowboarding sprite, and Sonic 3K's, I have to say I'd pay a little extra to have Sonic 3 sprites in Mania, as a DLC if necessary. I really liked Sonic's look much more in Sonic 3.