Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

50 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I have a question...

If they have Metal Sonic appearing with a new design in Mania and adding to the plot possibly...

Then does that mean Sonic 4 is being wiped out/retconned from the continuity?

giphy.gif

Hopefully, as it should.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Jango said:

giphy.gif

Hopefully, as it should.

That's what I'd gather. Any game that would take place before Sonic 4 and suddenly do something else with Metal Sonic seems like it would rip apart their original plans.

Unless... What if Mania is the sequel to Sonic 4 and tells what wasn't told at the end of Episode 2...?

Also possible...

(But it would make the design situation all the more baffling between games)

I doubt this though. Christian Whitehead seems to be a bit of a loather of the Sonic 4 saga so it would make a lot of sense for him and his team to want to wipe it out of existence in whatever ways possible.

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That's what I'd gather. Any game that would take place before Sonic 4 and suddenly do something else with Metal Sonic seems like it would rip apart their original plans.

Unless... What if Mania is the sequel to Sonic 4 and tells what wasn't told at the end of Episode 2...?

Also possible...

(But it would make the design situation all the more baffling between games)

I doubt this though. Christian Whitehead seems to be a bit of a loather of the Sonic 4 saga so it would make a lot of sense for him and his team to want to wipe it out of existence in whatever ways possible.

They'll probably just be vague and say it takes place at some time after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. So it's up to fans to believe what they wish, that both this and Sonic 4 happened or that this is the true sequel or successor to 3&K.

Even though Sonic 4 was weird I still consider it the sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles because it's hilarious.

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

SEGA is the one who has the deciding factor into what's canon, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Exactly, and unless they say otherwise this is still true lol:

4XIhnmo.png

4 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I think even THEY would want to erase/retcon Sonic 4 as well, they'd have to approve it to a degree to allow any potential story alterations revolving Metal and his fate in a prequel title.

IF it's prequel, like to say it is.

Well it's not Metal Sonic Mk V hahaha. I keep waiting for a nod to X-Treme since it's supposed to be as if the classic series continued into the Saturn Era. Nothing yet. Ms_markvf.thumb.jpg.626cdcd5bc90f452f3a6a8b636d19459.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tenko said:

Well it's not Metal Sonic Mk V hahaha. I keep waiting for a nod to X-Treme since it's supposed to be as if the classic series continued into the Saturn Era. Nothing yet. Ms_markvf.thumb.jpg.626cdcd5bc90f452f3a6a8b636d19459.jpg

WHAT DID EGGMAN DO TO RISTAR?!!!

THAT FIEND!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

Slightly looks like this dude though. Especially if he has more spines that we can't see there.

Untitled.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

I have a question...

If they have Metal Sonic appearing with a new design in Mania and adding to the plot possibly...

Then does that mean Sonic 4 is being wiped out/retconned from the continuity?

That, or they use Mecha Sonic and sidestep the issue. Or they acknowledge S4 and finally tie up that Death Egg II plot thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

I keep waiting for a nod to X-Treme since it's supposed to be as if the classic series continued into the Saturn Era. Nothing yet.

There is a very madcap way that this could happen, though it would have required possibly confusing (possibly not!) extra work by the team.  I do wonder though!!   

If the Sega marketing team hadn't had the bright idea of renaming the upcoming mobile project as Sonic 4 then we wouldn't be in this situation. It shouldn't even be a thing, it wasnt even meant to be Sonic 4 in the first place.

Then they compound that issue by not even finishing up the project, and thus leaving an unfinished story arc. Which also really messed up where Sonic CD was meant to cannonically take place in the timeline.

Personally I too would rather it was just chalked up to a massive balls up and forgotten about. That or somehow overwritten. It's basically the '06 of the classic series. Except '06 had the decency to write itself out of existence at the end of its story haha.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

If the Sega marketing team hadn't had the bright idea of renaming the upcoming mobile project as Sonic 4 then we wouldn't be in this situation. It shouldn't even be a thing, it wasnt even meant to be Sonic 4 in the first place.

Then they compound that issue by not even finishing up the project, and thus leaving an unfinished story arc. Which also really messed up where Sonic CD was meant to cannonically take place in the timeline.

Personally I too would rather it was just chalked up to a massive balls up and forgotten about. That or somehow overwritten. It's basically the '06 of the classic series. Except '06 had the decency to write itself out of existence at the end of its story haha.

Sonic 4 and Sonic Chronicles will FOREVER f-ing haunt me for the cliffhangers. Good games or not I friggin LOATHE that kind of unfinished stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair to Sonic Chronicles its cliffhanger was spinetingling, I did really want to see a sequel just to find out how it would get resolved. Eggman actually winning, even if for a while is an interesting concept. That's one thing P2017 has going for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Tenko said:

To be fair to Sonic Chronicles its cliffhanger was spinetingling, I did really want to see a sequel just to find out how it would get resolved. Eggman actually winning, even if for a while is an interesting concept. That's one thing P2017 has going for it.

I think it really showed an awesome side to Eggman, sending the characters off in an attempt to "help" them only for the cast to return and find he planted a big middle finger in their face and already had the world conquered from the looks of it.

Really was tasty. Bad game perhaps, but the story was well worth seeing through until the end.

7 hours ago, cwmnopwr said:

What if it's simply the demo being available? The leg is something for us to chew on until we get the full cluck with the final release date, to be announced at the show?

Please, no thanks. Dataminers and YouTubers will ruin everything.

7 hours ago, Cyrus said:

So it could either be another trailer or teaser or, most likely, a silly little video that will allow us to take a close gander at... an addition of vague details which all collectively make up a major truth...

Aaron has already said there will be no new trailers before launch.

• Thumbs Up 1

According to Amazon, the Collector's Edition will release May 31, or at least that's the date they moved it to after March a few months back. Says it will arrive on June 2. Don't know whether it's a placeholder or not, but that does sound believable, considering we haven't gotten too much promotion of the game lately, and it seems like tomorrow they're going to start making up for that before the other larger gaming conventions start happening. Sounds like it might literally be a Summer of Sonic after all.

4 minutes ago, Her0 said:

According to Amazon, the Collector's Edition will release May 31, or at least that's the date they moved it to after March a few months back. Says it will arrive on June 2. Don't know whether it's a placeholder or not, but that does sound believable, considering we haven't gotten too much promotion of the game lately, and it seems like tomorrow they're going to start making up for that before the other larger gaming conventions start happening. Sounds like it might literally be a Summer of Sonic after all.

If it's the end of a month, it's likely a placeholder. Game releases typically happen on Tuesdays too, it'd be weird to miss that by a day (May 31st is a Wednesday.) It's also been listed as that for quite some time, Amazon has had that as the placeholder date for PC editions ever since I pre-ordered back when the CE was first announced.

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

If it's the end of a month, it's likely a placeholder. Game releases typically happen on Tuesdays too, it'd be weird to miss that by a day (May 31st is a Wednesday.) It's also been listed as that for quite some time, Amazon has had that as the placeholder date for PC editions ever since I pre-ordered back when the CE was first announced.

Odd, could have sworn it said March originally. Oh well. Summer still sounds more likely at this point, but I guess we'll see in a few hours.

Hmm, is there a certain time they usually post up videos on Youtube or is it more of a "whenever we feel like it" situation with them? Wondering since they had to end up delaying the teaser for today.

16 minutes ago, Her0 said:

Odd, could have sworn it said March originally. Oh well. Summer still sounds more likely at this point, but I guess we'll see in a few hours.

It may have for other systems, PC is the only one I really focused on.

I kinda doubt we'll get a release date in a few hours, I imagine since they're focusing on the 16th, anything before there would probably be superficial by comparison. We could totally get something, maybe a piece of art or a screenshot, but my money is on anything substantial being reserved for the panel.

11 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

This twitter post by Stealth seems... Stealthy:

https://twitter.com/HCStealth/status/840032825650769920

Hmm. I find it interesting that they decided to go with some sort of announcement today, instead of saving this for the big news blowout next Saturday. Maybe they don't want it to be overshadowed by the news next week?

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Hmm. I find it interesting that they decided to go with some sort of announcement today, instead of saving this for the big news blowout next Saturday. Maybe they don't want it to be overshadowed by the news next week?

*Thursday.

I think it's just a teaser, with more to come at the SXSW event next week.

• Thumbs Up 2