Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Just a reminder that about an hour and 20 minutes from now, they're going to stream Mania at PAX for atleast 15 minutes. They're going to show it again, at 5PM EST.

https://www.twitch.tv/twitch

So yeah, tune in for the Mania madness!

• Thumbs Up 1

Jeez I went to bed last night thinking, "Eh, they're not going to reveal much. Maybe just a new boss or something." Boy was I wrong! A new boss, Green Hill Zone Act 2, the Fire Shield can open alternate paths just by having it, and levels no longer have to be fully dedicated to being a water level?! giphy.gif

I'm really looking forward to whatever they show off next Thursday. Both for this and Project 2017.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh jeez, for real! I wasn't going to watch that, but couldn't resist. GHZ Act 2 has so much depth, it looks incredibly versatile and seems like it's going to be super fun to play. Also, those boss fights look wild, like they will get totally out of control, haha! :lol:

I got emotional watching Green Hill Zone Act 2. The background mountains from the prototype and burning the bridge with the fire shield.

It's so glorious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously considering that this is the tamest of the levels according to the Taxman himself. Then i'm extremely interested to see what comes next. Because GHZ act 2 looks absolutely stunning and The throwbacks to the lost beta Green Hill Zone is both unexpected and amazing. and the fact that elemental shields can activate new pathways feels like a logical evolution of the shields abilites and what they could do. It just really goes to show how much this team is passionate about Classic Sonic as a whole.

And also that boss looks both really cool and intense. And I can't wait to see more of the hard boiled heavies. when we can.

Seriously every time more and more info gets revealed, I get more & more hyped each day passing.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BlueBlur91 said:

Seriously considering that this is the tamest of the levels according to the Taxman himself. Then i'm extremely interested to see what comes next. Because GHZ act 2 looks absolutely stunning and The throwbacks to the lost beta Green Hill Zone is both unexpected and amazing. and the fact that elemental shields can activate new pathways feels like a logical evolution of the shields abilites and what they could do. It just really goes to show how much this team is passionate about Classic Sonic as a whole.

And also that boss looks both really cool and intense. And I can't wait to see more of the hard boiled heavies. when we can.

Seriously every time more and more info gets revealed, I get more & more hyped each day passing.

That actually concerns me a bit. Green Hill Zone and Studiopolis Zone look VERY cluttered ala CD and that was a stage layout I never cared for too much. I like more sprawled out environments from other Genesis titles instead of the cramped vibe CD put off.

Don't get me wrong, I adore CD but the stage design wasn't the best. I hope the word "tame" isn't being used to mean other stages make you feel even more claustrophobic.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That actually concerns me a bit. Green Hill Zone and Studiopolis Zone look VERY cluttered ala CD and that was a stage layout I never cared for too much. I like more sprawled out environments from other Genesis titles instead of the cramped vibe CD put off.

Don't get me wrong, I adore CD but the stage design wasn't the best. I hope the word "tame" isn't being used to mean other stages make you feel even more claustrophobic.

I kind of agree here.

I love the way Green Hill Zone Act 2 looks, but the problem is that it doesn't feel too... Sonic.

Sonic 1, 2, 3&K always had really thick layers that you could travel through, making each layer of the level feel like the "correct" layer to go. Bottom route, middle route, high route. There can be passages in between that link them together, but theres generally only a few routes. In Green Hill Zone Act 2 and Studiopolis Act 1, a LOT of the level design has really thin platforms, which gives more variety of reaching places, but now it feels like a clutter of platforms rather than actual land masses.

Usually, just like in most of Green Hill Zone Act 1, when you are running on the floor, all you see if floor below you. It feels like a solid surface, like nothing is below you other than more floor. Same with walls, if you reach one, you usually can only see more and more wall, no other portions of the level (unless its the next room in a cave or something).

I have attached a low-res image of such thin platforms that RARELY existed in S1-3. They were more common in Sonic CD, but that's what always made me really dislike that series more than the rest. The levels felt like they were DESIGNED to be a maze, and didn't feel like natural places that just so happen to be mazes that sonic has to get through.

I can't think of... like any... places in Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, that have walls/floors as thick as Sonic alone. Level design in the classics felt like a natural world. Having a wall the width of sonic which then has a ledge the height of sonic doesn't feel 'Natural'. Maybe in more "mechanical" looking levels this is more acceptable, but it just feels strange in a "green hill" setting.

Don't get me wrong, this game is going to rock and I am so violently excited I can't hold my excitement in. But I do feel like this whole "shaking things up" that they are doing, doesn't go too out of whack and clusters everything with themes that don't really feel natural for a sonic game. Just my opinion though :)

thingplats.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess we know what the egg robo in the mirage balloon portrait is now! It's another Hardboiled Heavy!

I really love the little pockets of water in the underground section~ It really makes the level feel even more vibrant than it already is.

tumblr_omm6tkeJmf1u0ti7oo1_540.png&key=05d201dfba238313a22ae02a6cea19d1fff20c86e3fbce31e5eb5e3e0b26dec1

Also I wonder if this is supposed to be a little nod to the Master System/Game Gear version of Sonic 1?

mqdefault.jpg&key=a90be29bfc51ca4d9c894b21d0aed54ff8c6c87e850f16a67b2c3974755d15b5

Wow, it most certainly is a reference to the MS version!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Ahahahaha

God I love this game

Oh god.

I hope Marble Zone is in this.

Marble Zone with UFOs would be my daydream. 

Taxman PLEASE.

2 minutes ago, Revolver Ocelot said:

Oh god.

I hope Marble Zone is in this.

Marble Zone with UFOs would be my daydream. 

Taxman PLEASE.

Take a close look at the lampposts in Studiopolis.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Take a close look at the lampposts in Studiopolis.

HOOO it's the same sprite! Would've never noticed them.

That rules out my Marble Zone 2.0 dream but it's something.

Nothing new from the stream thing.

Was hoping to hear the real Green Hill Act 2 music...

Act 2 looks fucking incredible. Lovingly crafted and there is so much there to dissect.

I'm starting to strongly believe Team Mania is gonna do it guys.

"it" as in finally surpassing 3&K. I can't even process that thought yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Act 2 looks fucking incredible. Lovingly crafted and there is so much there to dissect.

I'm starting to strongly believe they're gonna do it guys.

"it" as in finally, surpass 3&K. I can't even process that thought yet.

Keep in mind we still have Sonic Team to fear, they're habitual blunderers.

(Edit)

Now if it turns out both SEGA of America AND the Sonic Team divisions are BOTH offering something on par with one another, then...

Someone needs to go to hell and see if the place has finally frozen over.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like those worried about Act 2 not having an individual remix don't need to be worried after all. The team are very good at hiding/removing what they don't want spoiled just yet...Unlike previous Sonic game demo's etc

Edit : Also I'm wondering if perhaps this member of the Hard Boiled Heavies is in reference to a certain hard to find game in the series...

IMG_20170311_092235.thumb.jpg.552e14a7c273d0798437d321ccc0bc19.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Tenko said:

Looks like those worried about Act 2 not having an individual remix don't need to be worried after all. The team are very good at hiding/removing what they don't want spoiled just yet...Unlike previous Sonic game demo's etc

Wasn't worried about it myself. I already reminded folks of the two acts in each zone being different when I reported on the stuff on TSOS too, kind of bad to cause that kind of confusion and it really should have been clarified during the streams but... Hey.

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

mEJNHEr.png

Ladies and Gentlemen; THE HARD-BOILED HEAVIES.

This is Heavy Gunner, the boss of Studiopolis Act 1.

With the bat-wielding Egg Robos, this gave me a Streets of Rage vibe... (a tenuous link maybe, but that's what came to mind XD). Damn. This keeps reaching beyond my expectations. I wonder what they're going to show on Thursday...

1 minute ago, Pawn said:

The Egg Robos with bats lend this a Streets of Rage vibe... for me anyway XD. Damn. This keeps reaching beyond my expectations. I wonder what they're going to show on Thursday...

Probably the boss of GHZ Act 2 and maybe allow folks to hear the real music of the act.