Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Damn, that illustration looks straight out of the 90's. EVERYTHING in this game is so beautifully accurate to the classic era! This really is Sonic 4.

As much as I would have loved to see Metal Sonic, I'm not disappointed at all because Heavy Gunner looks like an awesome new villain that fits the visual style of the classics perfectly (as I'm sure the rest of the Heavies will).

As for Green Hill Act 2, wow. The background just looks beautiful, and the mountains are an awesome nod to the early Sonic 1 prototype. Can't wait to hear what the remixed version of the song ends up being like.

Very interesting!  From this, I'm guessing that the Hard-Boiled Heavies will be the minibosses of all the new zones, with original minibosses for the returning zones.  The portrait HBH from Mirage Saloon, judging from his crown motif and more Eggman-like appearance, I imagine is the leader of the HBH unit.

52 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

Even more footage of Act 2

Looks fantastic. I like how they incorporated a lot of GH's act 3 design from the original game and the addition of the under water areas. The animation when the fire shield breaks the bridge looks so cool.

mEJNHEr.png

Fucking hell this game is gonna be awesome. What an epic boss fight this looks like!

1 hour ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Who wants some GHZ Act 2 gameplay?

Really digging how the elemental shields affect the environment, but they might want to fix whatever happened at 1:18.

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

The level design overall looks great. Looks very reminiscent of the more open-ended "playground"  designs of Sonic 2 that you IMO don't see much in Sonic 3&K.

Agreed. Based on the gameplay we've seen (and what I played) whilst the stages are clearly vast-reminiscent of the scale of 3&K, the actual level design is more reminiscent of Sonic 2 and Sonic CD. The levels appear very fluid and with lots of places to go fast. There are also loads of mutilple routes often positioned very close together in act2 which is very Sonic CD esque, just like Palmtree Panic.

Also, did you notice there were a lot of enemies close together near the start of act2? This is also reminiscent of Sonic CD's design.

I find the idea of a fusion of Sonic 2 & CD level design fascinating.

The Hard-Boiled Heavies (that name, reference to the Heavy badnik from Chaotix?) also look great, can't wait to see a Studipolis Act 1 boss of that Heavy Gunner in action. Really digging the new artwork in particular, it fits right alongside artwork from the Genesis era. I really hope we'll see more artwork for Mania in that vein from the artist.

You mean the playable character from Chaotix? 

Image result for knuckles chaotix heavy

Yeah it could be a reference to him.

We already knew Tax, Stealth & PWG are putting a massive effort into Mania, but I'm just so impressed with some of the concepts they've come up with.

Mecha & Metal will both appear. Calling it now!

I'm so hyped!

6 minutes ago, TailsBot said:

Mecha & Metal will both appear. Calling it now!

I'm so hyped!

Oooh, could you imagine a DUAL boss fight? Or perhaps the two Sonics merging together into some kind of super-armored Metal Sonic...thing? The possibilities!

45 minutes ago, TailsBot said:

Looks fantastic. I like how they incorporated a lot of GH's act 3 design from the original game and the addition of the under water areas. The animation when the fire shield breaks the bridge looks so cool.

mEJNHEr.png

Fucking hell this game is gonna be awesome. What an epic boss fight this looks like!

OHMYGOD KNUCKLES FIGHTS EGG ROBO

IS THAT A COP EGG ROBO!
WHAT!!!!!!!!!

Jeez I went to bed last night thinking, "Eh, they're not going to reveal much. Maybe just a new boss or something." Boy was I wrong! A new boss, Green Hill Zone Act 2, the Fire Shield can open alternate paths just by having it, and levels no longer have to be fully dedicated to being a water level?! giphy.gif

I'm really looking forward to whatever they show off next Thursday. Both for this and Project 2017.

Oh jeez, for real! I wasn't going to watch that, but couldn't resist. GHZ Act 2 has so much depth, it looks incredibly versatile and seems like it's going to be super fun to play. Also, those boss fights look wild, like they will get totally out of control, haha! :lol:

Seriously considering that this is the tamest of the levels according to the Taxman himself. Then i'm extremely interested to see what comes next. Because GHZ act 2 looks absolutely stunning and The throwbacks to the lost beta Green Hill Zone is both unexpected and amazing. and the fact that elemental shields can activate new pathways feels like a logical evolution of the shields abilites and what they could do. It just really goes to show how much this team is passionate about Classic Sonic as a whole.

And also that boss looks both really cool and intense. And I can't wait to see more of the hard boiled heavies. when we can.

Seriously every time more and more info gets revealed, I get more & more hyped each day passing.

9 minutes ago, BlueBlur91 said:

Seriously considering that this is the tamest of the levels according to the Taxman himself. Then i'm extremely interested to see what comes next. Because GHZ act 2 looks absolutely stunning and The throwbacks to the lost beta Green Hill Zone is both unexpected and amazing. and the fact that elemental shields can activate new pathways feels like a logical evolution of the shields abilites and what they could do. It just really goes to show how much this team is passionate about Classic Sonic as a whole.

And also that boss looks both really cool and intense. And I can't wait to see more of the hard boiled heavies. when we can.

Seriously every time more and more info gets revealed, I get more & more hyped each day passing.

That actually concerns me a bit. Green Hill Zone and Studiopolis Zone look VERY cluttered ala CD and that was a stage layout I never cared for too much. I like more sprawled out environments from other Genesis titles instead of the cramped vibe CD put off.

Don't get me wrong, I adore CD but the stage design wasn't the best. I hope the word "tame" isn't being used to mean other stages make you feel even more claustrophobic.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That actually concerns me a bit. Green Hill Zone and Studiopolis Zone look VERY cluttered ala CD and that was a stage layout I never cared for too much. I like more sprawled out environments from other Genesis titles instead of the cramped vibe CD put off.

Don't get me wrong, I adore CD but the stage design wasn't the best. I hope the word "tame" isn't being used to mean other stages make you feel even more claustrophobic.

I kind of agree here.

I love the way Green Hill Zone Act 2 looks, but the problem is that it doesn't feel too... Sonic.

Sonic 1, 2, 3&K always had really thick layers that you could travel through, making each layer of the level feel like the "correct" layer to go. Bottom route, middle route, high route. There can be passages in between that link them together, but theres generally only a few routes. In Green Hill Zone Act 2 and Studiopolis Act 1, a LOT of the level design has really thin platforms, which gives more variety of reaching places, but now it feels like a clutter of platforms rather than actual land masses.

Usually, just like in most of Green Hill Zone Act 1, when you are running on the floor, all you see if floor below you. It feels like a solid surface, like nothing is below you other than more floor. Same with walls, if you reach one, you usually can only see more and more wall, no other portions of the level (unless its the next room in a cave or something).

I have attached a low-res image of such thin platforms that RARELY existed in S1-3. They were more common in Sonic CD, but that's what always made me really dislike that series more than the rest. The levels felt like they were DESIGNED to be a maze, and didn't feel like natural places that just so happen to be mazes that sonic has to get through.

I can't think of... like any... places in Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, that have walls/floors as thick as Sonic alone. Level design in the classics felt like a natural world. Having a wall the width of sonic which then has a ledge the height of sonic doesn't feel 'Natural'. Maybe in more "mechanical" looking levels this is more acceptable, but it just feels strange in a "green hill" setting.

Don't get me wrong, this game is going to rock and I am so violently excited I can't hold my excitement in. But I do feel like this whole "shaking things up" that they are doing, doesn't go too out of whack and clusters everything with themes that don't really feel natural for a sonic game. Just my opinion though :)

thingplats.png