Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I still remember when it was revealed there'd be more returning stages than original ones and everyone lost their minds. Green Hill Act 2 might as well have been a completely new level even if it takes a few cues from Green Hill Zone Act 3 at the beginning there, and the Master System version in another. And this is considered "tame?!"

To all those who still aren't satisfied with what's been shown, I don't know what to tell ya. I've already decided this is going to be my game of the year; one that's over 20 years in the making no less!

Who wants to bet that when the reviews start coming in everyone of them is going to start with "Blah blah blah Sonic's had it rough these past 20 years..." and ultimately give it a meh/10, all while telling Sega this is how you're supposed to make a Sonic game?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Was anyone else a bit let down by today's reveal? It felt a little anti climatic. All they really had to show was a recolored minion for Sonic Mania, and a little more of Green Hill Zone? Was this really worth making a tease over last night? I was hoping we'd see more of Project 2017, or more than a few short minutes and images of Sonic Mania. I don't see why they had to make a teaser over something so underwhelming. 

I'm gonna have to disagree here. I was pleasantly surprised with what we got. It's nothing but a nice little appetizer before SXSW. We're getting a huge news blowout in less than a week, I don't see the harm in this.

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Was anyone else a bit let down by today's reveal? It felt a little anti climatic. All they really had to show was a recolored minion for Sonic Mania, and a little more of Green Hill Zone? Was this really worth making a tease over last night? I was hoping we'd see more of Project 2017, or more than a few short minutes and images of Sonic Mania. I don't see why they had to make a teaser over something so underwhelming. 

Well, keep in mind the primary focus of Sonic Mania is going to be old zones with a new coat of paint basically. There aren't going to be that many more new zones other than what we've seen is my guess, so you have to go into Mania prepared to relive the past more than anything. It's not meant to be a new game. Just a remake basically by and large. What's old has to be your thing, otherwise you might be let down by the entirety of the game, especially since you don't really feel much of a spark for the baddies unveiled today.

I think you're main issue might be... The whole "It wasn't Metal Sonic" argument perhaps? If that's the case I and many could probably understand. it would have been nice if it was Metal Sonic since, as I mentioned before, it could/would mean wiping Sonic 4 from the series canon with the series canon altered.

I wouldn't expect to see much of Project 2017 even during the whole unveiling thing. My advice is to go in expecting the name of the game, a short CGi clip or two, maybe a few split seconds of game play, and there you go. That way if we DO get more, you can be all the more happy.

(Edit)
Am I the only one feeling like the way Sonic's sprite remains the same after releasing the zip-ines nags him/her? Kind of hope they change it so he switches to a running animation or something, looks weird to maintain that pose through the air...

Also... Anyone else wondering if seeing Act 2 made Mr. Naka shed a tear? That's heart crushing nostalgia right there for a developer I'd think.

(Found Knuckles in Act 2 by the way...)

Sonic-Mania-4.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting note from Destructoid's write up:

The Sega rep told us that the game is about 60 percent remixing levels from past Sonic games and about 40 percent using ideas that are new or that were never implemented back then.

From what it sounds like, we're looking at a 60/40 ratio of new to old levels, assuming the rep is that keyed in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CleverSonicUsername said:

Interesting note from Destructoid's write up:

From what it sounds like, we're looking at a 60/40 ratio of new to old levels, assuming the rep is that keyed in.

I think that ratio includes the "new" ideas in old stages, so I wouldn't hastily think there's going to be more new zones than there likely will be. Keep expectations on that at low as you can my friend.

Then if there ARE more than assumed, hey, all the happier.

As long as reimagined zones are like green hill, I'm fine with more reimagined zones than brand new. 

"Am I the only one feeling like the way Sonic's sprite remains the same after releasing the zip-ines nags him/her? Kind of hope they change it so he switches to a running animation or something, looks weird to maintain that pose through the air."

I agree. 

I prefer to keep my cup half full and assume we're going to get more than just 3 or 4 new levels. Mania is a "big game" afterall, I'm sure there will be plenty of content no matter what the ratio turns out to be.

I'm looking forward to seeing at least five or six new stages. 

Btw, anyone else bothered by the invincibility theme? So far I've been fine with the music, it's incredibly good, but that theme doesn't get me pumped up at all.

54 minutes ago, BlueFlare said:

Btw, anyone else bothered by the invincibility theme? So far I've been fine with the music, it's incredibly good, but that theme doesn't get me pumped up at all.

The track itself isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that someone thought that it was more suited for the USB at the anniversary party than the Green Hill or miniboss tracks.

Speaking of the Green Hill track, is it me or does the intro sound a bit different in the new footage.

7 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think that ratio includes the "new" ideas in old stages, so I wouldn't hastily think there's going to be more new zones than there likely will be. Keep expectations on that at low as you can my friend.

I fail to get what you mean. EVERY returning zone will have new ideas.

60/40 is certainly the most optimistic ratio we could expect after Iizuka's such polarizing reveal. I understand it as "two more reimagined zones than old zones", since that's usually the result when I do calculations with expected total zone counts.

Fittingly, an EXACT 60/40 ratio goes well alongside the minimum counts we can guess from a couple of CW lines: the game is guaranteed to have at least 10 zones -longer than Generations- and at least 4 new zones -there are new zones still unrevealed-. 10 total, 6 old, 4 new is the bare minimum we'll be getting and is 60/40.

Other counts we could expect are: 12 total, 7 old, 5 new; 14 total, 8 old, 6 new; 16 total, 9 old, 7 new -though, in this last case, the exact round-up gives 10 old, 6 new-.

If they had enogh dev time for such a long campaign, I think 16, 9, 7 is ideal, that's a full game's length of all-new zones.

19 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

The track itself isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that someone thought that it was more suited for the USB at the anniversary party than the Green Hill or miniboss tracks.

Speaking of the Green Hill track, is it me or does the intro sound a bit different in the new footage.

The tweets from Nick and Tax earlier made it sound like it's not the same track present in the last press demo featuring Act 2. My guess is it's an earlier build, and the track used is a more finalized version of the Act 1 track. This could be why it wasn't on the USB, because it's still a work in progress. Or it could be a very early version of the Act 2 track

As far as exact zone counts, I'm leaning toward 8/6 or 10/6. They said this is a big game, so I'd have to assume it's at least going to be as big as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, a big classic game by any stretch.

My own assumption has been that there's only one more classic level than new level (I don't think we should take "sixty-forty" as a mathematically accurate measure), and that in the final game they'll alternate on a strict classic-new pattern, with the last level being a classic one.  That would suggest a minimum of 9 (5/4) zones, and so long as those are all full-size, I'd be happy with that, actually; anything more is a bonus.

...The thing is, "zone count" isn't really a fair measure or point of comparison between games.  In the classics, and conceivably in Mania, there are always those zones that aren't full zones, that are barely even a single act, but which a strict "zone count" total counts equally to a full zone.  Final boss levels like S2 Death Egg and Doomsday are obvious examples; similarly, in my own mind, I count Sky Chase and Wing Fortress as one zone, and ditto Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary.  So considerations like that knock Sonic 2 and S3&K down a peg.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, molul said:

As long as reimagined zones are like green hill, I'm fine with more reimagined zones than brand new. 

"Am I the only one feeling like the way Sonic's sprite remains the same after releasing the zip-ines nags him/her? Kind of hope they change it so he switches to a running animation or something, looks weird to maintain that pose through the air."

I agree. 

Green Hill is supposed to be the SAFEST of the changes coming up, so I'm sure you will be pleased. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm beginning to wonder about the panel as possibly going to include the first full game footage; meaning, starting the game and seeing the save menu and perhaps viewing a cut scene before starting up in.... possibly Green Hill Zone; though it is interesting, it may not be the very first zone.

Otherwise, it is very exciting that what was previewed yesterday is easily what could have been revealed at the panel, and it was really out of nowhere!  While a spring release is still tentative (if the development does require more time, mentioned Aaron yesterday, they can have all the time that is needed!), it also feels like cause for optimism that it will not be too delayed or delayed at all, they are starting to talk more about the game, and that the twice monthly streams have begun.  ^_^^_^ 

2 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Anyone else want a no save mode?

Yes please!

This game is heavy on the nostalgia front so no doubt there will be a no-save option and hopefully continues!

Save slots are for wimps xD

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm the only one who loves the invincibility theme? Not a huge fan of the power sneakers theme tho.

Ha, you know what, I think I have to take back a bit what I said earlier. I had to listen to all the invincibility themes from previous 2D Sonic games to make a little comparison. None of them does not stand out in...well, in my ears. :P Mania's theme is definitely not a bad one, I actually like it, but it's lacking something. Power sneakers sounds good to me.

Sonic 1 and 2 have the best invincibility theme in the whole series...Mania's invincibility theme is at least better than the 3D games.

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

My own assumption has been that there's only one more classic level than new level (I don't think we should take "sixty-forty" as a mathematically accurate measure), and that in the final game they'll alternate on a strict classic-new pattern, with the last level being a classic one.  That would suggest a minimum of 9 (5/4) zones, and so long as those are all full-size, I'd be happy with that, actually; anything more is a bonus.

...The thing is, "zone count" isn't really a fair measure or point of comparison between games.  In the classics, and conceivably in Mania, there are always those zones that aren't full zones, that are barely even a single act, but which a strict "zone count" total counts equally to a full zone.  Final boss levels like S2 Death Egg and Doomsday are obvious examples; similarly, in my own mind, I count Sky Chase and Wing Fortress as one zone, and ditto Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary.  So considerations like that knock Sonic 2 and S3&K down a peg.

I believe Ruby/Webber said Mania will be longer than Generations (which had 9 zones); so the total zone count based on your assumption should at minimum be 11 zones (6 classic/5 new).

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I believe Ruby/Webber said Mania will be longer than Generations (which had 9 zones); so the total zone count based on your assumption should at minimum be 11 zones (6 classic/5 new).

I agree that this is almost certainly correct; I just feel like there's a smidgen of doubt where he might have been judging by some metric we don't have available to us yet (e.g. projected average playtime).

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Actually, it was Christian himself that said that, not Aaron.

3 hours ago, TailsBot said:

Save slots are for wimps xD

I would love to have a save select like in Sonic 3 and a no save option.

Who needs save slots anyway?

I want a boss in this game where you run on water the whole time, an auto-running boss so you don't sink, I'm sure they could do something creative with that.