Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

19 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

The track itself isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that someone thought that it was more suited for the USB at the anniversary party than the Green Hill or miniboss tracks.

Speaking of the Green Hill track, is it me or does the intro sound a bit different in the new footage.

The tweets from Nick and Tax earlier made it sound like it's not the same track present in the last press demo featuring Act 2. My guess is it's an earlier build, and the track used is a more finalized version of the Act 1 track. This could be why it wasn't on the USB, because it's still a work in progress. Or it could be a very early version of the Act 2 track

As far as exact zone counts, I'm leaning toward 8/6 or 10/6. They said this is a big game, so I'd have to assume it's at least going to be as big as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, a big classic game by any stretch.

My own assumption has been that there's only one more classic level than new level (I don't think we should take "sixty-forty" as a mathematically accurate measure), and that in the final game they'll alternate on a strict classic-new pattern, with the last level being a classic one.  That would suggest a minimum of 9 (5/4) zones, and so long as those are all full-size, I'd be happy with that, actually; anything more is a bonus.

...The thing is, "zone count" isn't really a fair measure or point of comparison between games.  In the classics, and conceivably in Mania, there are always those zones that aren't full zones, that are barely even a single act, but which a strict "zone count" total counts equally to a full zone.  Final boss levels like S2 Death Egg and Doomsday are obvious examples; similarly, in my own mind, I count Sky Chase and Wing Fortress as one zone, and ditto Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary.  So considerations like that knock Sonic 2 and S3&K down a peg.

4 hours ago, molul said:

As long as reimagined zones are like green hill, I'm fine with more reimagined zones than brand new. 

"Am I the only one feeling like the way Sonic's sprite remains the same after releasing the zip-ines nags him/her? Kind of hope they change it so he switches to a running animation or something, looks weird to maintain that pose through the air."

I agree. 

Green Hill is supposed to be the SAFEST of the changes coming up, so I'm sure you will be pleased. 

I'm beginning to wonder about the panel as possibly going to include the first full game footage; meaning, starting the game and seeing the save menu and perhaps viewing a cut scene before starting up in.... possibly Green Hill Zone; though it is interesting, it may not be the very first zone.

Otherwise, it is very exciting that what was previewed yesterday is easily what could have been revealed at the panel, and it was really out of nowhere!  While a spring release is still tentative (if the development does require more time, mentioned Aaron yesterday, they can have all the time that is needed!), it also feels like cause for optimism that it will not be too delayed or delayed at all, they are starting to talk more about the game, and that the twice monthly streams have begun.  ^_^^_^ 

43 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm the only one who loves the invincibility theme? Not a huge fan of the power sneakers theme tho.

Ha, you know what, I think I have to take back a bit what I said earlier. I had to listen to all the invincibility themes from previous 2D Sonic games to make a little comparison. None of them does not stand out in...well, in my ears. :P Mania's theme is definitely not a bad one, I actually like it, but it's lacking something. Power sneakers sounds good to me.

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

My own assumption has been that there's only one more classic level than new level (I don't think we should take "sixty-forty" as a mathematically accurate measure), and that in the final game they'll alternate on a strict classic-new pattern, with the last level being a classic one.  That would suggest a minimum of 9 (5/4) zones, and so long as those are all full-size, I'd be happy with that, actually; anything more is a bonus.

...The thing is, "zone count" isn't really a fair measure or point of comparison between games.  In the classics, and conceivably in Mania, there are always those zones that aren't full zones, that are barely even a single act, but which a strict "zone count" total counts equally to a full zone.  Final boss levels like S2 Death Egg and Doomsday are obvious examples; similarly, in my own mind, I count Sky Chase and Wing Fortress as one zone, and ditto Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary.  So considerations like that knock Sonic 2 and S3&K down a peg.

I believe Ruby/Webber said Mania will be longer than Generations (which had 9 zones); so the total zone count based on your assumption should at minimum be 11 zones (6 classic/5 new).

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I believe Ruby/Webber said Mania will be longer than Generations (which had 9 zones); so the total zone count based on your assumption should at minimum be 11 zones (6 classic/5 new).

I agree that this is almost certainly correct; I just feel like there's a smidgen of doubt where he might have been judging by some metric we don't have available to us yet (e.g. projected average playtime).

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Actually, it was Christian himself that said that, not Aaron.

29 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I want a boss in this game where you run on water the whole time, an auto-running boss so you don't sink, I'm sure they could do something creative with that.

I think I saw a prototype boss battle that was like this for Episode III, I think. I think I have the video somewhere, it's really rough around the edges so don't max out the volume and make sure to have your antivirus active. And if it asks for your credit card information, don't give it.

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK!

One thing about this image...

sonic-mania-nuevas-imagenes.png?itok=-jy

Who's piloting that Egg-mobile? Note that Heavy Gunner is hanging on the side. Some people think an Eggrobo will be after Knuckles as in in Sonic 3&K. But it seems more like a generic badnik, like those three flying by themselves. Could we see Eggrobos as regular in-level badniks again?

It does appear to be an Eggrobo actually piloting the chopper (it's clearer if you look below Heavy Gunner's arm) - presumably one, like the other three, under the direct command of Heavy Gunner.  Whether or not this makes Eggrobos into regular enemies again is hard to say; consider that this is the Studiopolis miniboss, yet we haven't seen any Eggrobos elsewhere in Studiopolis Act 1.  I'd imagine that they're mostly just going to show up under the command of the Hard-Boiled Heavies, but might show up again as regular enemies somewhere in the endgame.

27 minutes ago, Soni said:

I think I saw a prototype boss battle that was like this for Episode III, I think. I think I have the video somewhere, it's really rough around the edges so don't max out the volume and make sure to have your antivirus active. And if it asks for your credit card information, don't give it.

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Shitty animation but bad @$$ concept. Love the thought of Eggman using his fortress to fire at you.

I'm sad we won't be seeing as much hammy Robotnik animations as I thought we would now that he's replaced by the Heavies, unless maybe they're exclusive to Knuckles' levels doing the dirty work for him while he's chasing down Sonic?

16 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I'm sad we won't be seeing as much hammy Robotnik animations as I thought we would now that he's replaced by the Heavies, unless maybe they're exclusive to Knuckles' levels doing the dirty work for him while he's chasing down Sonic?

My guess is the HBH bosses will only appear as mini-boss fights at the end of act1 and Eggman will appear as the main boss at the end of every act2.

I hope the HBH's aren't just exclusive to Knuckles story. Would mean a lot more work for the devs if they had to come up with separate mini-boss fights for Sonic & Tails story and Knuckles story.

I wonder if he HBH boss fights will only appear in the new zones? Which makes me wonder if all new zones will take place one-after-the-other instead of being mixed in with the re-imagined stages. I guess the former would make more sense as a story plot point.

57 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

One thing about this image...

sonic-mania-nuevas-imagenes.png?itok=-jy

Who's piloting that Egg-mobile? Note that Heavy Gunner is hanging on the side. Some people think an Eggrobo will be after Knuckles as in in Sonic 3&K. But it seems more like a generic badnik, like those three flying by themselves. Could we see Eggrobos as regular in-level badniks again?

Yes; i am finally taking a closer look at this screenshot and it is interesting to note that the launcher is in the hands of the Eggrobo flying out towards the screen; it may be that this is before the actual confrontation occurs? 

Maybe the Eggrobos are delivering the helicopter and launcher and then leave the scene, as far as this write up released yesterday seems to at least kind of describe that the actual action of this boss sequence may be against Heavy Gunner alone.

Studiopolis’ first act boss is Heavy Gunner. Equipped with a rocket launcher, he chases Sonic and Tails down a curving highway while flying in his helicopter. Throughout the fight, Heavy Gunner fires rockets that the duo must deflect back at him to make him lose control of his vehicle and crash.

32 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

I'm not the only one who thinks that the Eggrobo closest to the screen looks like it's carrying a boombox am I?

"Yo, I'm a Robo, unlike Knuckles I don't chuckle, I'd rather grease my gizmo's."

(Edit)

You think they'll have a signature dance...?

d10.gif