Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

I believe that each old level will have and 3 and K style miniboss, where it's just a machine, as seen in green hill, where are no hard-boiled heavies. This leads me to believe, as we see mirage salloon's hard boiled heavy in portraits, and the fact that heavy gunner is in Studiopolis, means that all the new levels will have a hard-boiled heavy member.

Looks like a rocket launcher. And don't worry, the Game Informer article said that the HBH chase SONIC and TAILS down the highway during this boss fight (which hints at it being autorun), so they're not exclusive to Knux

On 3/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, SpongicX said:

Was anyone else a bit let down by today's reveal? It felt a little anti climatic. All they really had to show was a recolored minion for Sonic Mania, and a little more of Green Hill Zone? Was this really worth making a tease over last night? I was hoping we'd see more of Project 2017, or more than a few short minutes and images of Sonic Mania. I don't see why they had to make a teaser over something so underwhelming. 

430087_10150643703587418_23050342417_9046819648656_601c4a9a70.jpg

Still better than Concept Art of a tree stomp and 3 platforms

Man, that was 5 years ago...

That's not really the type of concept art you wanna show in order to induce positive reaction...

At best, people will acknowledge that it's good art...but it doesn't tell you about the game. So it's bad, in the bad way.

Sonic Mania is surprisingly better than Sonic 4 episode 2 in getting people's positive reaction.

9 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

430087_10150643703587418_23050342417_9046819648656_601c4a9a70.jpg

Still better than Concept Art of a tree stomp and 3 platforms

Man, that was 5 years ago...

Let's not forget this gem.

11194009926_4829937f12_b.jpg

An entire page of Lost World art dedicated to platforms that don't even appear in the final game. Someone spent development time drawing this, folks.

12 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

Aw, but that's not nearly as funny.

I didn't notice the boombox similarity until you mentioned it ^_^  It may actually be a visual pun, as far as, rectangular rocket launcher could also be named a boombox?  Many people over the years have mentioned that the badnik designs throughout the Genesis, and also Game Gear, era very often are as whimsical as they are dangerous!   

7 hours ago, Depression Kong said:

Let's not forget this gem.

11194009926_4829937f12_b.jpg

An entire page of Lost World art dedicated to platforms that don't even appear in the final game. Someone spent development time drawing this, folks.

Lost World is confusing from concept to finished product.

In most/all of the concept art seen they use Classic Sonic for whatever reason and they use the Classic Sonic icon for the extra lives. If they wanted the game to revolve Classic Sonic, which the design of the game DOES suit MUCH better than Modern Sonic, they should have just used Classic Sonic instead.

I know that the team has already mentioned that these are older builds that we're seeing, and they've already worked out a lot of the errors, but I still find it amusing to see little graphical mistakes like this.

sonicmania_tree.jpg

51 minutes ago, mikeblastdude said:

I know that the team has already mentioned that these are older builds that we're seeing, and they've already worked out a lot of the errors, but I still find it amusing to see little graphical mistakes like this.

sonicmania_tree.jpg

I've seen clipping going on and stuff too. I hope all of these things are fixed before release. That's one feature from Genesis games I could do without.

Plus they still haven't fixed what goes on when Sonic goes through those loops in reverse. The sprite wigs out.

(Edit)

I saw Tee make this post over on Twitter a few weeks back...

"The team behind #SonicMania are all each other's fans. It's amazing what you can do when you work with individuals you love and respect!"

If that vibe is what makes such a great Sonic game, everyone over in Sonic Team must REALLY hate each other nowadays. lol

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Lost World is confusing from concept to finished product.

In most/all of the concept art seen they use Classic Sonic for whatever reason and they use the Classic Sonic icon for the extra lives. If they wanted the game to revolve Classic Sonic, which the design of the game DOES suit MUCH better than Modern Sonic, they should have just used Classic Sonic instead.

Lost World is trying to be so many things at once, but screws up every single one of them.

The environment is trying to be stylized and low-poly, the enemies and stereotypes Graff and Pontac found off a list on TV Tropes Zeti are trying to be cartoony and cel-shaded, and the characters are trying to be detailed and realistic. Everything is an mishmash of poorly-thought-out ideas that's trying to capture the outlandish style of the Genesis games but doesn't understand what made outlandish style of the Genesis games good.

And that's just the visuals. That's not even going into the story, gameplay and music.

4 hours ago, Jango said:

I gotta say, the Gunner artwork is straight from 94' and I do hope a physical release get a box art with the same art style. This is so damn legit.

I kinda wish if Sega were to release a physical copy, they'd use fan-made artwork for it (with artist's permission of course);this is a game made by fans, for fans after all. This one is my personal favorite from what I've seen, and it's such a great throwback:

sonic_mania_japanese_sega_saturn_cover__

I don't think Sonic in that LW concept art is intended to be "Classic" Sonic, he's just super simplified (hence being so small + black eyes) and is only there to give a sense of scale for everything going on in the concepts. I highly doubt they considered using the design in the actual game at any point in development.

As for Classic Sonic being used as the lives icon, I guess they could've used the one from Colours but maybe they just preferred the Generations 1-up design? I have to agree that it's a lot nicer to look at, tho' it would've been cute if they at least changed it to resemble Sonic's modern design.

2 hours ago, mikeblastdude said:

sonicmania_tree.jpg

(Embarrassing confession: even with the circle narrowing things down, I didn't see the problem in this screenshot until I looked at it a second time. XP)

It's good they're fixing errors, especially graphical ones, but I won't mind if there's a few hiccups in other areas here and there. The classic games have some issues but generally you need to go out of your way to break the game, or just be extremely unlucky. I'll be surprised if this game is less stable than that.

Speaking of breaking the game--and maybe I've said this before but I feel very strongly about this so--I really hope they bless us with debug mode. I think I spent more time messing with that then actually playing the games when I was younger.

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

I don't think Sonic in that LW concept art is intended to be "Classic" Sonic, he's just super simplified (hence being so small + black eyes) and is only there to give a sense of scale for everything going on in the concepts. I highly doubt they considered using the design in the actual game at any point in development.

As for Classic Sonic being used as the lives icon, I guess they could've used the one from Colours but maybe they just preferred the Generations 1-up design? I have to agree that it's a lot nicer to look at, tho' it would've been cute if they at least changed it to resemble Sonic's modern design.

(Embarrassing confession: even with the circle narrowing things down, I didn't see the problem in this screenshot until I looked at it a second time. XP)

It'd good they're fixing graphical issues but I won't mind if there's a few hiccups in other areas here and there. The classic games have some issues but generally you need to go out of your way to break the game, or just be extremely unlucky.

Speaking of breaking the game--and maybe I've said this before but I feel very strongly about this so--I really hope they bless us with debug mode. I think I spent more time messing with that then actually playing the games when I was younger.

This would require a mandatory Big the Cat Easter Egg.

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

"The team behind #SonicMania are all each other's fans. It's amazing what you can do when you work with individuals you love and respect!"

If that vibe is what makes such a great Sonic game, everyone over in Sonic Team must REALLY hate each other nowadays. lol

Nowadays? They've practically hated each other since the beginning if Yuji Naka wanting to quit after the first Sonic game is anything to go by. Although that may have had more to do with the corporate side of Sega rather than Sonic Team itself. Mr. Naka also seemed to have a bit of an ego so that may not have helped matters.

11 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Remember, they are using the demo from the Mirage Saloon reveal. The thing is that they never showed GH Act 2.

I'm sure some of the glitches are already fixed by now,

Huh... That's from an older demo...? Didn't know that.