Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

One more thing I'm not liking too much...

Is anyone else bothered by how PINK they made Knuckles tone in this game? I like him more on the red side, but I guess it's not terrible... It nags me nonetheless.

(Edit)

Don't get me wrong, still love the S3&K and Chaotix combination going on in design, but do wish he wasn't quite so pink as that's what made his super/hyper form so unique to me too.

I'm fine with it, but I definitely would like it to be a bit more red.

6 hours ago, TailsBot said:

Something which has peaked my curiosity since Mania's reveal back in July is the new highest route towards the end of act1 of Green Hill. I think if you go as high as possible it will lead to a second high-up exit where you'll fight the mini-boss and then continue into act 2 from a higher-up starting point (Mirage Saloon act2 has two different starting points - one for Sonic & Tails and the other for Knuckles - so I think it's okay to assume other zones will as well).

It's been disappointing that in the many playthroughs we've seen no one has managed to stay on the highest route until the end. Having watched the full act 1 & act 2 continuous playing which Aaron did a commentary on, I now believe my suspicions are correct.

Case in point: I took this screenshot from the video at 1:20, Sonic is just about to go down the tube which takes him lower. However, if you have a keen eye you will notice a yellow spring at the very top of the screen (which you can see has blue sky background around it) which heavily implies there is something up there to explore.

FnXmM5C.png

Now, if you take a look at the video which I have embedded from 1:10. When it gets to 1:18 you'll notice a diagonal placed yellow spring at the (right) top-edge of the loop-de-loop which I believe will propel Sonic, Tails or Knuckles to the spring at 1:20 in my aformetioned screenshot, which will in-turn bounce Sonic higher. As I said, I believe this will lead to a second higher-up exit.

At the start of Mania's GH act2 once Sonic has bounced up you can backtrack to what was the original starting point of GH act3 from Sonic 1. Perhaps the theorized higher-up exit in act1 will lead to the original act3 starting point? Or maybe there's an even higher starting point for act2?

So, what do you guys tthink. Is it a good theory?

It *was* a good theory. 

And yes, I did really make an account just to post this.

2 minutes ago, andrew2 said:

It *was* a good theory. 

And yes, I did really make an account just to post this.

I heard the players call the villain Robotnik, wonder why we can't just have him called Robotnik in this new 2D series and Eggman in the 3D series so everybody wins with that finally?

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I heard the players call the villain Robotnik, wonder why we can't just have him called Robotnik in this new 2D series and Eggman in the 3D series so everybody wins with that finally?

Because his original name is Dr. Eggman anyway. :v Might as well go for consistency now it's established. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Because his original name is Dr. Eggman anyway. :v Might as well go for consistency now it's established. 

Eh... I just consider it another issue of Japan being "Give us what WE want!" and bawling over it.

I don't MIND the name Eggman mind you, but it would be nice to see both names used OFFICIALLY to some degree again, asides that brush off thing they did in Generations which is as bad as L.O.G. dissing collectathons in Nuts and Bolts.

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Eh... I just consider it another issue of Japan being "Give us what WE want!" and bawling over it.

I don't MIND the name Eggman mind you, but it would be nice to see both names used OFFICIALLY to some degree again, asides that brush off thing they did in Generations which is as bad as L.O.G. dissing collectathons in Nuts and Bolts.

They should handle it like they did in the Adventure games. I personally love the name Robotnik. Menacing, but not too serious and it somehow still sounds goofy and fits his personality, not that I mind "Eggman".

Anyone notice how the bottom of the GHZ 2 background looks kinda similar to the bottom of the Spring Yard background?

Pasted image at 2017_03_11 11_54 AM.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Given the considerable Japanese styling the devs are taking with this (evident in quite a few of Sonic's animations, being based on old Japanese Classic artwork, plus all the promo art), it's more likely the devs prefer to stick to the original Japanese canon (being the Sonic superfans they are). It's also evident through the design choices in the game, such as the EggTV banners; I also swear I've seen the classic "EGG" logo seen in Wing Fortress around in Studiopolis, but I can't think exactly where. All stuff that the devs do to tie it into the Classic aesthetic, that wouldn't work with "Robotnik" everywhere (SEGA never localised the ingame graphics for Sonic 1-3)

I prefer them sticking to the original canon anywho. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

And yet the English scripts have been allowed to establish that Robotnik is his "real" name and Eggman's his supervillain title. I mean, it isn't brought up very often, but it doesn't really need to be.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

And yet the English scripts have been allowed to establish that Robotnik is his "real" name and Eggman's his supervillain title. I mean, it isn't brought up very often, but it doesn't really need to be.

No...

It was actually Yuji Naka that clarified that Robotnik is his true name and Eggman is just a nickname/mockery.

I'm not saying either/or need to be forsaken, but I do think we're at a point where the West clearly remembers him as Robotnik, the East clearly remembers him as Eggman, thus both titles should return and balance one another out. Robotnik the world crushing dictator hellbent on his empire under the Eggman Empire moniker, using his own ridicule to his advantage and making it an ominous threat.

But... That's just me.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

No...

It was actually Yuji Naka that clarified that Robotnik is his true name and Eggman is just a nickname/mockery.

I'm not saying either/or need to be forsaken, but I do think we're at a point where the West clearly remembers him as Robotnik, the East clearly remembers him as Eggman, thus both titles should return and balance one another out. Robotnik the world crushing dictator hellbent on his empire under the Eggman Empire moniker, using his own ridicule to his advantage and making it an ominous threat.

But... That's just me.

...nah. 

It's been Eggman for like, 15 years now. I think it's time to let Robotnik go a bit. It's fine as a real name, but shoehorning it into Mania against the aesthetic of the rest of the Classic series would be inconsistent. 

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I personally love the name Robotnik. Menacing, but not too serious and it somehow still sounds goofy and fits his personality, not that I mind "Eggman".

I agree, I've always loved the name Robotnik, but...at this point, I'm really ready to let it go and just stick with Eggman, since it's the original name and the most-used one nowadays. The franchise sticking to one consistent identity is more important in the long run, and it's not like using the name "Robotnik" is anything important. A little acknowledgement of the name "Robotnik" here and there is appreciated, for sure, but most of the time, they should probably just stick with the original name. Better to not open that can of worms, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

...nah. 

It's been Eggman for like, 15 years now. I think it's time to let Robotnik go a bit. It's fine as a real name, but shoehorning it into Mania against the aesthetic of the rest of the Classic series would be inconsistent. 

What are you talking about? Robotnik was created to adhere to the aesthetic of the classic series. That argument makes zero since bro...

Anyways, as far as Josh's statement, I actually love the idea of SEGA America vs SEGA Japan but not in a BAD way, more-so in an encouraging way to push both divisions to produce better products in an attempt to conquer the podium.

I'm not looking for the problematic thing from the 90's but something more positive this time around now that both divisions are pushing out Sonic titles again. I want to see some intense fire going on to see who can make the best product and shake the losers hand humbly time and again, one side besting the other here and there and vice verse while skyrocketing the franchise into success not seen since...

Well, into success not seen period.

(Edit)

That's pretty much what I was going for Monkey, just with some titles now and then perhaps using Robotnik more commonly than Eggman so we can go back to emphasizing THAT is his nickname instead of the company making even WORSE ones like Mc.Nosehair...

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

What are you talking about? Robotnik was created to adhere to the aesthetic of the classic series. That argument makes zero since bro...

No, I mean in all the Classic games (besides like, Triple Trouble or something), Robotnik is never referred to. All the logos that appear ingame refer to Eggman or EGG or something.

They're likely going with Eggman in Mania to keep consistent with both the modern branding and the original Classic series. No point calling him Robotnik in the marketing but Eggman in game when it's Eggman to most folks nowadays anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

No, I mean in all the Classic games (besides like, Triple Trouble or something), Robotnik is never referred to. All the logos that appear ingame refer to Eggman or EGG or something.

They're likely going with Eggman in Mania to keep consistent with both the modern branding and the original Classic series. No point calling him Robotnik in the marketing but Eggman in game when it's Eggman to most folks nowadays anyway. 

I tend to hear Robotnik from Western players more-so than Eggman...

Just saying.

(Edit)

Again, not saying to abolish one in favor of the other, just saying to officially support both in the games more frequently.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

One more thing I'm not liking too much...

Is anyone else bothered by how PINK they made Knuckles tone in this game? I like him more on the red side, but I guess it's not terrible... It nags me nonetheless.

(Edit)

Don't get me wrong, still love the S3&K and Chaotix combination going on in design, but do wish he wasn't quite so pink as that's what made his super/hyper form so unique to me too.

Same, I don't like his sprites in general either. Some of his poses are kind of goofy looking. Game as a whole looks great though.

Say... Awesome idea...

A boss where Sonic gets kidnapped and Tails has to rescue him via the Tornado...

Why not?

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Anyways, as far as Josh's statement, I actually love the idea of SEGA America vs SEGA Japan but not in a BAD way, more-so in an encouraging way to push both divisions to produce better products in an attempt to conquer the podium.

I'm not looking for the problematic thing from the 90's but something more positive this time around now that both divisions are pushing out Sonic titles again. I want to see some intense fire going on to see who can make the best product and shake the losers hand humbly time and again, one side besting the other here and there and vice verse while skyrocketing the franchise into success not seen since...

Well, into success not seen period.

I don't think you realize that this can confuse the brand though, just like it did back in the 90s. In order to get the best possible Sonic, the branches must work in tandem. How laughable and inconsistent will it be if Sonic 2017 gets the physics for classic Sonic wrong after Mania for example?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I don't think you realize that this can confuse the brand though, just like it did back in the 90s. In order to get the best possible Sonic, the branches must work in tandem. How laughable and inconsistent will it be if Sonic 2017 gets the physics for classic Sonic wrong after Mania for example?

...I might be wrong on this, and it may be arrogant of me, but I think the majority feel it will nonetheless.

(Feel free to correct me though, this IS an assumption, but I doubt there's many with high hopes/standards for Classic Sonic game play in P17)

I played the classics recently right before playing some of Generations, and it makes the 2D segments feel super gross by comparison. But Generations is a totally different game. While it's going for nostalgia, I'd also give it a pass for not being 1:1 considering how it's a much more modern game. If I'm willing to give Generations that pass, I'll give it to 2017 too. I enjoyed the classic segments, even despite them being way off in terms of feel, and the modern segments were a lot of fun. Just give me more of that and I'll eat it up.

8 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I tend to hear Robotnik from Western players more-so than Eggman...

Just saying.

Perhaps from the older western fans or the outspoken few on message boards.The younger fans that joined the franchise post Adventure games, or the even younger crowd joining after watching Sonic Boom on TV etc would all know him only as Eggman. It would inadvertently cause confusion bringing back his old western name now after 15 odd years of non use. Especially in Sonic's target audience, the 7-12 year old demographic who would never have heard him refered to as Robotnik before (except that line in the English version of Sonic Generations).

When you look at it in hindsight the Robotnik stuff in Sonic Adventure and it's sequel seemed more for the purpose of streamlining and introducing Eggman as his new name and eventually fading the Robotnik name out rather than truely combining them as it implies. Like you said, besides Generations we havent really heard it since the Adventure series, and even in Generations it was only used in the English dub, and only for the setup to a joke. Hell Sonic Adventure didn't mention Robotnik in its original Japanese script, it was only in the English version. The only cannon Sonic Team game that has it in both the Japanese version as well as the English version is Sonic Adventure 2, and my memory might be off a bit but I'm pretty sure follow up media in Japan only refers to the "Robotnik" characters as Maria and Gerald, excluding their last names (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic X).

Yes in the west it was his name for a good while in the early days, but as others have said, it's been abandoned for 15 odd years, even in the English versions of the media. As has also been said, besides the manuals the early games were never graphically localized for western markets (Egg, Eggman, Miles etc) so to do so for Mania would buck the trend. It is a shame for those older long time fans who prefer the name Robotnik, and who will probably continue to use it till the day they die, but as it stands now it doesnt look like its returning. In Mania or in any other media. Tho in saying that it will be interesting to see what they decide to do with this upcoming movie. If anything brought it back I could see it being that, I could imagine American movie executives thinking that Eggman isnt threatening enough and asking to use his old western name.

• Thumbs Up 5

NintendoWorldReport got a quick interview with ol' Aaron, nothing major is known. But still, it's a fun interview.

"We haven't talked about the price yet, but we'll probably talk about it in the coming months."

Yeah, starting to think more and more we're not getting a release date on the 16th.