Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I can definitely see where you're coming from, and I've thought the same thing. My work schedule is kind of random so I'm hoping the game doesn't release on a day where I'm working all day and can't play it until late because the wait would kill me. As much as I say I don't want spoilers, I'll most likely be binging on whatever information they give us tomorrow concerning the game, watching as many live streams of gameplay as possible and if they reveal the length of the game, I'll take in that information as well. 

That is my only concern about the game tbh is that it will be too short. From what I've seen of the game, there's no way it won't be fun. I just don't know how long the fun will last 

14 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I can see your point, but at the same time, how long is any classic Sonic 2D game? Unless you're going for all the chaos emeralds your first run through, you could conceivably beat S3&K in an hour and a half. I can't think of any Sonic game that really takes much longer than a few hours to beat and that's only because of the cutscenes in the 3D games. I mean, that doesn't include beating every little thing but just getting through the main game (I'm assuming there'll be an extra 'Doomsday' type level if you get all the emeralds). 

I mean, I'm hoping this will be a 5 hour long 2D Sonic game because that would be an incredible number of zones. 

It very well could be around 5 hours. Generations on average was like 6 right? So if it's longer than generations, and it's a big game, I can see it being pretty long. Could you imagine if it was like 8 hours, and had like 30 zones? Pretty dramatic, but how awesome would that be?

Just now, Psychicmoose103 said:

It very well could be around 5 hours. Generations on average was like 6 right? So if it's longer than generations, and it's a big game, I can see it being pretty long. Could you imagine if it was like 8 hours, and had like 30 zones? Pretty dramatic, but how awesome would that be?

...Hold up...

What if the game has a mission mode to unlock hidden content...?

I'm wondering if it's possible the "longer than Generations" comment is potentially being taken too literally by straight-up comparing zone numbers.

Generations is quite a different game from Mania, granted they're both platformers and both make use of the two-act zone structure. In a similar way, it'd be awkward to compare the likes of New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World levels against each other.

Generations is a relatively short game to begin with and only gets shorter on revisits. An hour's revisit on Generations would probably let you visit most of the main 18 levels in that game if you've already played them a couple of times previously.

Mania's length could well be estimated in total playtime. If there's any additional modes on top then there's that to factor in too.

...Or, if you want to be really cheeky, Mania's Collector's Edition box is longer than the Generations game case so it's an automatic victory there!

On an unrelated note though, how would people feel about additional collectables in the stages? Maybe even something like Sonic 4's one Red Star Ring per level so that those playing in one sitting can still get them all without destroying their pacing. I imagine there's some great concept art from Mania's development that'd make for a cool set of unlockables, or maybe even unlocking the likes of the insta-shield as a swap-out for the drop-dash.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Joy said:

I'm wondering if it's possible the "longer than Generations" comment is potentially being taken too literally by straight-up comparing zone numbers.

Generations is quite a different game from Mania, granted they're both platformers and both make use of the two-act zone structure. In a similar way, it'd be awkward to compare the likes of New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World levels against each other.

Generations is a relatively short game to begin with and only gets shorter on revisits. An hour's revisit on Generations would probably let you visit most of the main 18 levels in that game if you've already played them a couple of times previously.

Mania's length could well be estimated in total playtime. If there's any additional modes on top then there's that to factor in too.

...Or, if you want to be really cheeky, Mania's Collector's Edition box is longer than the Generations game case so it's an automatic victory there!

On an unrelated note though, how would people feel about additional collectables in the stages? Maybe even something like Sonic 4's one Red Star Ring per level so that those playing in one sitting can still get them all without destroying their pacing. I imagine there's some great concept art from Mania's development that'd make for a cool set of unlockables, or maybe even unlocking the likes of the insta-shield as a swap-out for the drop-dash.

That's just wrong. lol

I'm game. I'm sick of titles with no rewards. We don't even get anything for high ranks anymore making the ranking system completely useless. Gloating rights isn't much when you don't exactly go around gloating about playing Sonic nowadays sadly, hollow accomplishment.

Concept stuff, hidden zones, a secret character or two (AMY IN HER CLASSIC DESIGN!!!) all sound good.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

That's just wrong. lol

I'm game. I'm sick of titles with no rewards. We don't even get anything for high ranks anymore making the ranking system completely useless. Gloating rights isn't much when you don't exactly go around gloating about playing Sonic nowadays sadly, hollow accomplishment.

Concept stuff, hidden zones, a secret character or two (AMY IN HER CLASSIC DESIGN!!!) all sound good.

I would love a secret Amy ( maybe metal sonic?) characters and new levels. I'm down!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it would be cool if the small totem polls in Green Hill rapidly spun when you ran past them...

And maybe flew up into the air like a copter if you run past in peel-out form.

So I had this thought. It'd be cool if, down the line, they released more classic remixed levels as DLC. I'd totally lay some money down for that.

Of course I don't want to give anyone ideas here. Mania should be the most complete game they can possibly make. But much like Generations (which sadly never got any) I would not be adverse to DLC.

You may all stab me to death now.

8 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Cover art? Character bio art? Either way, I love that we're getting more original artwork in this style for an actual game rather than a comic cover as usual! I'd love to have a classic style manual with more art like this, be it digital or physical.

Tails sure looks happy. Guess the lil' guy finally found the computer room.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I would love a secret Amy ( maybe metal sonic?) characters and new levels. I'm down!

I'm down with them being unlockable characters. It would give players incentive to keep playing. Maybe even the Chaotix will make an appearance? (Of course not but a guy can hope)

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

So I had this thought. It'd be cool if, down the line, they released more classic remixed levels as DLC. I'd totally lay some money down for that.

Of course I don't want to give anyone ideas here. Mania should be the most complete game they can possibly make. But much like Generations (which sadly never got any) I would not be adverse to DLC.

You may all stab me to death now.

A tweet from a while ago makes it sound like DLC might already be in consideration, as he didn't respond in the "i have no idea" or "i cant talk about it" manor that the devs usually respond with. Also, why would be bother responding at all, let alone a "maybe" if he didn't have any info on it. A more "we have no current plans on it at the moment" or something sounds more appropriate, so this tweet gives me hope :)

dlcmaybe.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I was waiting for them to start revealing some original art for Mania, and never doubted for a second they'd do such a great job.

Hopefully that tweet also confirms the team's got everything under control for the panel as well.

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

This is such a thing of beauty I could cry

10 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

This is such a thing of beauty I could cry

New artwork? That's pretty sweet, it looks straight out of the 90s. I wonder who the artist is.

4 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Cover art? Character bio art? Either way, I love that we're getting more original artwork in this style for an actual game rather than a comic cover as usual! I'd love to have a classic style manual with more art like this, be it digital or physical.

Oooh I've a feeling it could be box art for the game!

My maths might be way out, especially if I'm accidentally using the wrong time zone..but I'm pretty sure it's roughly 11 hours and 15 mins from now.

D'oh! That late? That would be 3PM pacific time, right? I thought it would be at 9AM. I guess I'll see it when I get back home >_<

9 minutes ago, molul said:

D'oh! That late? That would be 3PM pacific time, right? I thought it would be at 9AM. I guess I'll see it when I get back home >_<

That's correct. It's an evening panel. I'll be there but for everyone else, there's no live stream at the moment.

Lucky you! :) Tonight I'm having a beer with an old friend I haven't seen in a long time. I guess I could "go to the toilet" at 15:10 to see what was announced XD

Alright I'll be the one unpleasable asshole in the group and say something about this art looks a bit off to me. Like, it's fine but there's something a little weird about it to me. His face doesn't look the same as it does in JP art. I think it's got something to do with the eyes. Also this will sound REALLY nitpicky but his mouth isn't shaped exactly right either. That doesn't sound like a big deal but it does make his expression different.