Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I'm going to echo what Marcello said in another thread and point that considering they mentioned that Green Hill was the less changed zone in the game, this footage made its very best to make Flying Battery look exactly the same as its original version.

The only differences were a bit of trash and the segment where Sonic goes upside down thanks to the lightning shield (and I'm not even sure if the segment is new, but the mechanic is).

It's amazing that one of my favorite zones made it in, but the "trailer" was a let down.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Velvet Reindeer said:

I'm going to echo what Marcello said in another thread and point that considering they mentioned that Green Hill was the less changed zone in the game, this footage made its very best to make Flying Battery look exactly the same as its original version.

The only differences were a bit of trash and the segment where Sonic goes upside down thanks to the lightning shield (and I'm not even sure if the segment is new, but the mechanic is).

It's amazing that one of my favorite zones made it in, but the "trailer" was a let down.

I would have preferred if the ship looked in ruins and barely managing to stay in the air...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

[BEST IMAGE]

I... might just need a moment.

Sonic Mania continues to be my favourite thing ever. I can survive the delay no worries, just make this thing perfect.

Fuck. It's even more beautiful now that I can see it clearly. They need to upload a high-res image of this so I can get a damn print.

Delay to the summer makes this that bit closer to Forces, so that's two games within six months.

As said in the stream, I recognise the music for Flying Battery more than the level itself. Looking forward to playing through it.

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

C7E9F2iXkAAqVkZ.jpg

Sonic Mania continues to be my favourite thing ever. I can survive the delay no worries, just make this thing perfect.

Man, this is gorgeous. Hopefully, SEGA puts it out in high quality.

the delay really makes me sad. but oh well, I have waited 22 years for a proper 3k sequel so...those 3-4 extra months wont kill me I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I had to guess, the lack of effort to distinguish this version of Flying Battery from the original is because they know they have to milk what content they want to show due to the delay. Hell, it may force them to reveal more than they intended in the long run.

Really I think GHZ Act 2 was maybe a bit of a premature announcement. Might have been better saved for the panel, then withhold Flying Battery to a later date.

Stream was a bit underwhelming (I want to see Eggman, dammit!), but Flying Battery returning is cool, I guess? I would've preferred maybe Lava Reef, but at least it's not Sandopolis. Curious to see what changes are made, since it was said that Green Hill is the "tamest" of the classic levels. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

C7E9F2iXkAAqVkZ.jpg

Obviously what this artwork is representing is that Knuckles is the better character game-play wise. Seeing how he's in the front. And it's just so beautiful to look at.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm fine with Mania being delayed into Summer, I mean it's probably a decent bet that it's going to be out on the 23rd of June. And hey, Flying Battery looks cool and liking the antigravity stuff with the Electric Shield and seeing a bunch of e-garbage lying around seems interesting to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Flying battery is one of my top favorite levels. I love the music and I'm glad that it's 8n mania

You guys. 

You guys should have been in this panel. The energy was positively electrifying. My favorite level in 3&K was just confirmed so i am very hyped right now. The art work looks incredible, the only downside? The delay hurts my inner being, but Team Mania needs more time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I'm surprised about the game being delayed to summer. Given how they were still tight-lipped about the game up to this point, a delay seemed inevitable. Shame, but oh well. If it gets the game the necessary polish it needs (and isn't a Sonic 4 PR spin of delaying the game only to do mostly jack shit), that's fine with me.

Flying Battery being confirmed looks great, but I do share people's concerns that it looks very similar to the original zone. Taxman said Green Hill was supposed to be the tamest of the reimagined levels, so this isn't a great outlook in my opinion. It does look good though, really like the recycled badniks and the Lightning Shield now having magnetic properties with the level. Hopefully more footage/screenshots of it comes soon that shows more differences that aren't on the subtle side. The new game artwork and poster looks absolutely fantastic, though, I really do love it. Hopefully we can get those posted in HQ.

Like what was revealed for the most part, but the amount of content revealed was very underwhelming to me. Way too little, especially if it's coming off the game being announced to be pushed further back. Still excited for the game, but I really do feel those responsible for marketing the game are now going all-on on the starving dog technique (drip-feeding tidbits information during periods of droughts), which is personally rather disappointing to see; especially as the Sonic 4 Episode I hype cycle was all about milking this technique for its worth.

I'm not surprised about the delay, either. Aaron kind of hinted at it in their last (?) stream.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Can't say I'm surprised about the game being delayed to summer. Given how they were still tight-lipped about the game up to this point, a delay seemed inevitable. Shame, but oh well. If it gets the game the necessary polish it needs (and isn't a Sonic 4 PR spin of delaying the game only to do mostly jack shit), that's fine with me.

Flying Battery being confirmed looks great, but I do share people's concerns that it looks very similar to the original zone. Taxman said Green Hill was supposed to be the tamest of the reimagined levels, so this isn't a great outlook in my opinion. It does look good though, really like the recycled badniks and the Lightning Shield now having magnetic properties with the level. Hopefully more footage/screenshots of it comes soon that shows more differences that aren't on the subtle side. The new game artwork and poster looks absolutely fantastic, though, I really do love it. Hopefully we can get those posted in HQ.

Like what was revealed for the most part, but the amount of content revealed was very underwhelming to me. Way too little, especially if it's coming off the game being announced to be pushed further back. Still excited for the game, but I really do feel those responsible for marketing the game are now going all-on on the starving dog technique (drip-feeding information during periods of droughts), which is personally rather disappointing to see; especially as the Sonic 4 Episode I hype cycle was all about milking this technique to its worth.

Secrets and tight lips just work better for Zelda I guess.

48f5778e2e42ee5df34b098ffce5cf26.jpg

23 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

C7E9F2iXkAAqVkZ.jpg

This poster is my favorite thing from the entire steam. My god, it looks like it was extracted right out of Sonic the Screensaver. I need this in high quality NOW.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Looking at it, I have to wonder, why exactly is Knuckles gliding sideways? :U

If he can punch Sonic out of his Super form then hell yes he can fly sideways, he has no laws.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

C7E9F2iXkAAqVkZ.jpg

It's really beautiful, but I'm going to annoying and say that Sonic's spikes don't look quite right (the gaps between them seem very shallow compared to the actual classic art), and that Knuckles' snout actually looks much more like its modern design than its classic one.

sonic03_32.pngKnuckles_Sonic3.pngtumblr_msbvokuwRQ1sf7v6po3_500.png

Maybe the last complaint is too picky because Knuckles' muzzle wasn't drawn completely consistently until the modern era, but I mean...it's still very clearly (to me anyway) modern Knuckles' muzzle and not classic Knuckles' and it's kinda distracting. =|

To be honest, if you asked me the reasons why I prefer the classic designs to the modern ones, "Sonic's spikes" and "Knuckles' muzzle" would both be relatively high on the list, so this is kinda genuinely disappointing. lol

The not-true-to-the-classic effect isn't helped at all by Sonic's color and shading looking like he jumped right out of Sonic Adventure. =P Maybe it's the lighting or something, but it just doesn't look right to me.

Overall, this reminds me more of a really good piece of fan art rather than something actually from the 90s. Like, I can actually see myself drawing something like this (not in terms of coloring or background, just the characters' looks!) on a really good day. It looks very nice, but I wouldn't call it convincingly loyal to the style. It's nice that they're at least TRYING for classic aesthetics, though, since that's one of my favorite parts of the franchise.

But I mean...it's a REALLY good piece of fan art x)

• Thumbs Up 1

Has no one else really figured that they showed that part of flying battery because they didn't want to show the new bits of it? Pretty sure the team knew full well what they were doing with this trailer in just showing the two new sections that were shown here (the tails segment and that part where sonic falls through all the robot scraps which likely leads into a completely new area in general thats just as big as the original level) and they've only really shown us this just to confirm the zone itself is in while not showing us anything too in-depth that'd spoil the rest of it. Not saying that you can't have your worries but I think the concern is unwarranted when you consider the fact that this was almost the exact same thing they did with green hill initially back when that was first shown.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

C7E9F2iXkAAqVkZ.jpg

:o

Oh my god, that poster is just so... so... FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

This poster looks straight out of the 90s of Sonic game cover arts, it's so perfect and lovely.

• Thumbs Up 1