Jump to content
Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

C7IWbiOXQAAceD4.jpg

Rise against the Heavy Six (?)

(higher quality)

Great stuff.  Zooming in close, it looks like probably only four + Heavy Gunner; the ninja on the left, the second-from-left is probably a magician or something, the one on the far right has a flail and all that swirly stuff around the bottom appears to be a cape which is coming from his direction.  The middle one I can more or less conclusively identify as the Mirage Saloon portrait HBH; the shape of the "fins" at the top of his head, the antenna-like appendage coming from between them, and the shape of the shoulders all fit.

Five HBHs total, so probably five new full-length zones, minimum.  Maybe a sixth with a special miniboss, but that's the limit.  So we're probably looking at around a dozen zones total.  I wonder what this means for division of classic zones?  If there are more than five but fewer than ten, that means some of them will get more repeating zones than others.

Edit: I'm suddenly getting the strangest sensation of déjà vu...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jango said:

Is one of those robots giving us the finger? :V

 

Also, there's a NINJA ONE, he's holding a shuriken. Could it be one zone be based on Japan, like the Sonic 1 prototype????? We know Tax loves unused stuff!

Well, ninja's ARE a thing in Sonic.

TMNT-Sonic-Crossover.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I didn't expect Flying Battery Zone. Personally, it's not a big favorite of mine but definitely not a bad choice either. After seeing Green Hill I was really looking forward to seeing more radical changes for the rest of re-imagined stages, but we haven't seen much of Flying Battery or other classic zones yet. I'm curious to see how well the new and re-imagined levels will be mixed up and tied together in the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the panel, Iizuka mentioned how the Hard-Boiled Heavies are going to be the bosses for the new levels.

So if we're getting atleast 5 of these guys, then there must be 5 new stages.

And since Mania is going to have 60/40 ratio of old/new stages, than we're going to get 6 classic stages I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soni said:

During the panel, Iizuka mentioned how the Hard-Boiled Heavies are going to be the bosses for the new levels.

So if we're getting atleast 5 of these guys, then there must be 5 new stages.

And since Mania is going to have 60/40 ratio of old/new stages, than we're going to get 6 classic stages I guess?

I'm sticking with my original prediction of 14 zones (8 re-imagined & 6 new). Yeah, looks like six hard boiled heavy members, so six new zones-one member in each makes sense. Good lord, the amount of content they're designing for Mania is impressive!

Regarding the games delay; yeah it sucks, but I'd much rather Team Mania be given the time they need to create the best product possible instead of rushing out an unfinished game like in the good old days. I always felt the release date of "Spring" was more a guesstimate than a definitive date. One could say it's a tad concerning they need more than the three months of the Spring release window to finish the game, but game development is obviously a very slow-complex process and you know what, as long as the end-product is fucking awesome (AND IT WILL BE) then they should delay Mania for as long as they need! I'm so glad for SEGA's new policy of delaying games instead of rushing them out!

The wait is gonna be pure agony. I do feel a little deflated in light of the delay being announced. Perhaps I should take a break from the classic games for a while and then come back refreshed. I'm certainly not expecting any more Mania news for a while. We've had enough over the last week to keep us busy.

I think Flying Battery is a good choice. It's one of S&K's most popular stages, has a good layout and a kick-ass piece of music. I would have preferred a Sonic 3 (half) stage to be revealed, but regardless it's good to see a zone from 3&K finally shown-off.

With everything we've seen of the game since July, I believe Mania is going to be something truly special. Still my most hyped game of 2017.

EDIT: 

Taxman confirmed that Tom from PagodaWest Games did the promo art.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't have a problem with Sega revealing a Sonic 2, 3 and CD stage before release. Specially Sonic 3.

By the way, is it confirmed that there's only one stage from each classic game? If they were two, that would make 10 reimagined zones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah that's definitely at least five guys, maybe six. Looks like a ninja, a guy in a tophat with a mustache(?), and I would guess a medieval guy with the flail. And I would guess the levels they show up in match their theming to some extent, so that gives us some idea of what the other new levels are like.

Quote

C7IWbiOXQAAceD4.jpg 

Image result for sonic mania mirage saloon egg robo

It's probably five guys, as the silhouette behind Heavy Gunner is likely this guy's cape (/trenchcoat?). The one with the top hat might be a magician, since he looks to be floating in mid-air.

I think it's safe to say that there will be an original Eggman finale, which altogether would suggest six new zones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how anybody is seeing more than 4 heavies in that picture.

Ninja - Mirage Saloon heavy (the outlines people are making I think mistake his giant gun arm and cape for separate enemies) - mace heavy - heavy gunner.

4 new stages, maybe 5 with an additional final zone that is unlocked like Doomsday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molul said:

I wouldn't have a problem with Sega revealing a Sonic 2, 3 and CD stage before release. Specially Sonic 3.

By the way, is it confirmed that there's only one stage from each classic game? If they were two, that would make 10 reimagined zones. 

You are correct, there has been no specific number information about the reimagined zones.  ^_^

The debris in Flying Battery does include additional badniks from Sonic 1**; which doesn't confirm anything, but it is good for some speculation!  It can be said, if that can be taken as a hint that there may indeed be two from each game, with Sonic CD possibly? not being included in the main game rather as one of the settings for 2P competition, but that is pure speculation, as is the following, that Sonic 3K may include more than two zones if it is being considered one big game and especially if Sonic CD is not in the main game giving it a bit more breathing room.

**( It's hard to tell what zone it represents but it could be Labyrinth. There is however also a green Caterkiller, and possibly a different Orbinaut,

Clever SonicUsername indicated to me yesterday that the yellow/gold badnik in there appears to be Orbinaut in the new design seen in Studiopolis, so I wonder whether it would also appear in this design in a reimagined Labyrinth. Again it may not be attached to the ground whatsoever, but there is a strange sprite next to some instances of it that may belong to it.  I would not mind for example a badnik with a starpost based design, that has an Orbinaut on top and blocks the way somehow, but is attached to the ground or underwater, rather than being mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

There are definitely 5 Heavies.

GLHCj2K.png

 

 

Pretty sure your boy in green is attached to red man, but ok whatever you say.

Edit: Actually I could see it maybe being attached to purple man too. Just doesn't look defined enough to be a fifth. I'd be happy if I'm wrong, but I'm going to keep my expectations as low as possible going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1025496eaa9f4f27b427aff7a825a67b.png

Started doing this thinking I'd show there's five of them in the sillhouettes, but actually, yeah, seems to me just 4, unless there's a floating ghost one or something. More notably, I don't think there's a ninja one- shurikens have 4 sides, iconically just 4 sides, and that one is holding a 5-side rounded star. I'm betting more on it being some sort of sfx of him snapping his fingers or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

You are correct, there has been no specific number information about the reimagined zones.  ^_^

The debris in Flying Battery does include additional badniks from Sonic 1**; which doesn't confirm anything, but it is good for some speculation!  It can be said, if that can be taken as a hint that there may indeed be two from each game, with Sonic CD possibly? not being included in the main game rather as one of the settings for 2P competition, but that is pure speculation, as is the following, that Sonic 3K may include more than two zones if it is being considered one big game and especially if Sonic CD is not in the main game giving it a bit more breathing room.

**( It's hard to tell what zone it represents but it could be Labyrinth. There is however also a green Caterkiller, and possibly a different Orbinaut,

Clever SonicUsername indicated to me yesterday that the yellow/gold badnik in there appears to be Orbinaut in the new design seen in Studiopolis, so I wonder whether it would also appear in this design in a reimagined Labyrinth. Again it may not be attached to the ground whatsoever, but there is a strange sprite next to some instances of it that may belong to it.  I would not mind for example a badnik with a starpost based design, that has an Orbinaut on top and blocks the way somehow, but is attached to the ground or underwater, rather than being mobile.

As I mentioned earlier. The green Caterkiller is from Mirage Saloon. Just had an idea. There could be 8 remained zones. Two from each game. 'But that makes 10 zones!' you say. No. S3K can be considered as one game. One zone from S3 one zone from SK. Each half is represented, as per Taxman comments, but it is still considered as one 'game'. In that case I can kiss goodbye to Lava Reef :( ...

Combine this possibility with 5 original zones based on the HBH image and we end up with 13 zones. This also fits the 60/40 ratio perfectly (not in a mathematical sense, but who cares?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is still 5/4. One from each game, four new. While also not a perfect 60/40 split mathematically speaking, I could see them using that as a quick way to define the ratio. i.e. there is one more than the other, so 60/40 total.

Absolute bare minimum, that is what we'll surely get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

My guess is still 5/4. One from each game, four new. While also not a perfect 60/40 split mathematically speaking, I could see them using that as a quick way to define the ratio. i.e. there is one more than the other, so 60/40 total.

Absolute bare minimum, that is what we'll surely get.

I... Really hope this game is longer than Sonic 3 and Knuckles, if not that's absolutely ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The KKM said:

1025496eaa9f4f27b427aff7a825a67b.png

Started doing this thinking I'd show there's five of them in the sillhouettes, but actually, yeah, seems to me just 4, unless there's a floating ghost one or something. More notably, I don't think there's a ninja one- shurikens have 4 sides, iconically just 4 sides, and that one is holding a 5-side rounded star. I'm betting more on it being some sort of sfx of him snapping his fingers or something.

I love that we have something substantial to speculate about again (and on an amazing looking game like this). Every post about the Heavies gives me pause for thought and gets me excited for the game.

Who could have thought that we'd be discussing silhouettes of new Eggrobo characters in a new Classic Sonic (that's real Classic, not Dimps 2010 'Classic') this time last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

My guess is still 5/4. One from each game, four new. While also not a perfect 60/40 split mathematically speaking, I could see them using that as a quick way to define the ratio. i.e. there is one more than the other, so 60/40 total.

Absolute bare minimum, that is what we'll surely get.

(a) That's closer to 50/50 - the would have said 50/50 if this was the split and more reimagined zones would not have been mentioned.

(b) The game's longer than generations. i.e. 10 zones bare minimum.

(c) The correct quote is 'roughly a 60/40 split' Hence the split won't be exact i.e. we won't get 6/4

(d) Therefore there must either be multiple zones for at least one game, or we are getting zones reimaged from Chaotix or an 8-bit title or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I... Really hope this game is longer than Sonic 3 and Knuckles, if not that's absolutely ridiculous.

 

It very well could be, we just don't know. There's a chance the heavies are only in the new zones, but not all new zones feature heavies (unless this was stated to not be the case, I'm not sure.) I'd rather go with the low estimate so I can avoid disappointment. If I can get myself jazzed up for 9 zones then anything more than that is a very pleasant surprise.

 

8 minutes ago, andrew2 said:

(a) That's closer to 50/50 - the would have said 50/50 if this was the split and more reimagined zones would not have been mentioned.

 

(c) The correct quote is 'roughly a 60/40 split' Hence the split won't be exact i.e. we won't get 6/4

 

You don't say. My point is there's one more than not, so they wouldn't say "50/50" because that's emphasizing it's dead even. 5/4 is ROUGHLY a 60/40 split. They've also been very clear that only Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, and Knuckles will get representation. No 8-bit or Chaotix zones. Nods within zones on other hand...

I just think like "Green Hill is the tamest!" the promise that this is a "big game" is maybe over enthusiastic. What little we got of Flying Battery makes it seem like it'll probably progress the same as Green Hill. Starts off 1:1 and over time becomes more unique. I'm fine with that, but the continued exclamations of "this is all new!" when there's huge chunks that aren't makes it seem like they're inflating their talking points. "It's a big game" is so non-specific, at this point I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Best to expect low and get surprised later.

I still think Mania will be a fantastic game and it's exactly what I want. Mind you, when this was first announced I was thinking it'd only be like 6 or so levels long, about average for a classic game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

 

It very well could be, we just don't know. There's a chance the heavies are only in the new zones, but not all new zones feature heavies (unless this was stated to not be the case, I'm not sure.) I'd rather go with the low estimate so I can avoid disappointment. If I can get myself jazzed up for 9 zones then anything more than that is a very pleasant surprise.

 

You don't say. My point is there's one more than not, so they wouldn't say "50/50" because that's emphasizing it's dead even. 5/4 is ROUGHLY a 60/40 split. They've also been very clear that only Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, and Knuckles will get representation. No 8-bit or Chaotix zones. Nods within zones on other hand...

Perhaps I didn't make a clear enough. The original 'more re-imagined zones' comment probably wouldn't have taken place if there was just one more zone. They would have said 'roughly 50/50'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.