Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

On 3/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, Psychicmoose103 said:

I definitely agree now, as Mirage Saloon Heavy doesn't really seem to have a cape, more of a vest of some sort.

It's totally a cape. It's wispy and jagged like a cape would be.

Edit: I still hope we get two from each game, including a second Sonic and Knuckles level. I just want Lava Reef so bad. It's such a dynamic stage, with pretty good gimmicks, great level flow and pacing, awesome aesthetics and music. Plus you gotta have a lava level, and you can't do better in the classic era than Lava Reef. It's just so good.

At this point I'm hoping beyond hope that we do not see Labyrinth or Aquatic Ruin. The former I personally love, but I don't think it would make for an interesting throwback, and the latter is just shit from tip to toe. Give me any other level and I'll probably be all over it. But above all else, Hydrocity better be in this thing.

8 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

It's totally a cape. It's wispy and jagged like a cape would be.

Edit: I still hope we get two from each game, including a second Sonic and Knuckles level. I just want Lava Reef so bad. It's such a dynamic stage, with pretty good gimmicks, great level flow and pacing, awesome aesthetics and music. Plus you gotta have a lava level, and you can't do better in the classic era than Lava Reef. It's just so good.

At this point I'm hoping beyond hope that we do not see Labyrinth or Aquatic Ruin. The former I personally love, but I don't think it would make for an interesting throwback, and the latter is just shit from tip to toe. Give me any other level and I'll probably be all over it. But above all else, Hydrocity better be in this thing.

Well, we know there are 5 heavies (cape is probably for the heavy on the right) so that's at least 5 new stages. In this case, there has to be at the very least 6 old stages. This would mean that there would be an extra stage from one game, but I don't think that they would have only one of the games have a second stage. However, if there is 2 from each game (10 remastered stages) i'm hoping that there is also more new stages as well. 5 New and 10 Old is NOT 40:60 Ratio. So i'm hoping there is maybe a hidden hard-boiled heavy leader, and eggman's new base for a total of 7 new zones and 10 old zones. I would be good with that, 17 zones would be awesome!

53 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Hide contents

( I hadn't fully thought about it before, but, the Flying Battery in Knuckles' storyline in S3K is already a second version. 

:blink::o 

Of course part of that was to allow him to access most of the same zones ready to play on the cartridge, but taken literally, it is also true to the story being told, that Eggman attempted a second significant overtaking of the Floating Island and rebuilt all of the same machines, perhaps based on Knuckles not being familiar with most of them.

It is never clear how much time has passed between the two stories other than that, again more due to cartridge data, the forest has already regrown.)

I mean, the Flying Battery was never destroyed though.  Sonic roughed it up a bit but it seemed pretty intact when he exited.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Well, we know there are 5 heavies

All the outlines in the world at this point will not convince me of this. Until that image is revealed in full, I'm sticking by 4 and keeping my expectations low.

Or until Aaron or someone clarifies, but they've been so cagey on level counts at this point I would not expect that of them anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

All the outlines in the world at this point will not convince me of this. Until that image is revealed in full, I'm sticking by 4 and keeping my expectations low.

Or until Aaron or someone clarifies, but they've been so cagey on level counts at this point I would not expect that of them anytime soon.

I would love for them to at the very least say how many zones are going to be in the game. That way, we can figure out how many new+old zones will appear.

1 minute ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I would love for them to at the very least say how many zones are going to be in the game. That way, we can figure out how many new+old zones will appear.

I would think under normal circumstances this isn't something a dev would keep secret at this point in production. Considering the delay, they may not want to promise much then have to cut content to make release. I know they'll have time but at some point you start to burn good will with delays, so I imagine they're going to hold themselves to Summer.

Edit: I would hope that's not actually the case, but it would be oddly fitting for a classic style game, considering Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 both began life as much bigger games then they eventually became. I will never not expect a Sonic game under any circumstance or leadership to be immune from cut content.

3 hours ago, BlueBlur91 said:

So since I'm a bit late to the fun, I'll go ahead and add my thoughts on it.

While I do love Flying Battery, I'm admittedly a little bit disapointed that it looks too much like the original. Not that I have a problem with that, (It does look gorgeous.) but I wished they took a bit more liberties with it.

Like imagine something like this, a destroyed looking Flying battery that's barely flying with a dark ominous thunderstorm in the background. With a look that's more similer to the beta version of Flying Battery rather then the final version.

Now that would be a badass reimagining in my opinion. But hey Flying Battery still looks damn good and I can't wait to play it, and I'm definitely intrigued about what the teaser image is teasing.

Also Tee Lopes' flying battery remix is awesome like usual.

That super theme is terrible... Credit music would be fitting maybe, but for his transformation? Ah geez, I'll gladly take the original.

(Edit)

That Ice Cap music...

f93.gif

Glad I never played this version. Seriously, originals forever.

For me, my greatest desire of what to see before the game comes out is at least a little more of Flying Battery Zone, perhaps another re-imagined level or two (ideally no new-new levels, I kinda want to save those especially since there are fewer and they're less we can expect!), and above all, boss fights. A look at a Hard-Boiled Heavy fight or two would be great, and most importantly, a peek at an Eggman battle! We haven't really seen any of Eggman in Mania yet, have we? I don't want too much too quickly, but somewhere down the line I'd like a peek at these.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, JezMM said:

Iizuka responded to a fan question at SXSW in which he confirmed "forgotten" past characters, including Fang explicitly (the other example given by questioner was Mighty), would NOT be appearing in Mania, however if a "classic" line of games continues, they might show up again there.

Ugh it really would take a miracle wouldn't it, I mean after seeing the wanted posters pop up again I pretty much knew the chances were slim. Christians exposition on Twitter wondering what the Hooligans had been up to in the Saloon to be on wanted posters however was great, as it gave some hope that the devs would potentially like to use said characters perhaps.

I expect Mania will do very well, amazingly well even. But it seems every opportunity where it would make perfect sense to include older characters, like Generations, or even the spin-off titles like All-Stars etc, and now even a full new classic themed game like Mania, come and go without their inclusion.

People do seem curious as they do get brought up, usually via fan Q&A's, even getting a lot of positive fan feedback like that vote in All-Stars Racing for example where Nack got a lot of votes in a much shorter time frame than the other potential DLC characters had for votes. But alas it's "maybe next time".

I can't be the only one that would lose their proverbial shit (in a good way) if Nack, Mighty or Ray etc showed up in a new classic themed title. Even if they arent "in" Mania I was perhaps hoping for an end game tease like 3K got at the end of Sonic 2 Remastered.

Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that not only does Mania do as well as I expect, but that it will pave the way for more classic titles to get the go ahead creating a new branch. Maybe then Tenko...maybe then...

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sticking to my guns on this one, the Mirage Saloon portrait HBH is the leader.  Crown motif, most Eggman-like appearance, only shows up after you'd have defeated that zone's HBH, it all fits.  It's even in the centre of the HBH cast line-up.

Lava Reef thoughts: I think Lava Reef is an amazing level, but it's kind of for that reason that I don't need to see it in Mania?  To me, Lava Reef is already perfect; there's nothing I would change.  ...Except giving Knuckles a better ending to Act 2.

10 hours ago, JezMM said:

I mean, the Flying Battery was never destroyed though.  Sonic roughed it up a bit but it seemed pretty intact when he exited.

That is a good point!  The ceiling laser seemed to do some damage but it may not have damaged the Mogumogu pilots or some of the propellors (of which there are so many!).  Eggman could have, once returning from otbit and resettling in one of his locations, sent signals to the pilots and had the craft return to be repaired and restocked with badniks and traps.  Then sometime before the time of Mania this process could simply have been repeated a second time!  Hmm! ^_^^_^  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, TailsBot said:

Just want to say I'm really liking the new background interior design for Flying Battery (on the right). Looks a lot better compared to the original.

Posted Image

They'll probably show-off a full playthrough of act1 at E3 if not before then.

Boy they really did just copy and paste that foreground though. Like I know that it's redrawn but they always looked kinda sloppy, it's a shame they didn't add more depth or clean the foregrounds up a bit.

edit: Also something about Sonic's animation as he comes out of a drum seems... off. I'm not sure what it is exactly.

3 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Boy they really did just copy and paste that foreground though. Like I know that it's redrawn but

Wait so do you think it's copy and pasted or not?

3 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Wait so do you think it's copy and pasted or not?

It pretty much is. Redrawn, but redrawn so that the foreground objects are 1:1, and the placement is the same. It's an odd choice to me because they did a fine job updating the backgrounds for both the interior and exterior of the zone (in fact I think the clouds outside are gorgeous and it makes me hope that a much larger chunk takes place outside the ship than it originally did.)

I just realized something: With the way the background is curved now, is this supposed to be implying that the ship is actually shaped like a battery? If so, I like it. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, ShroomZed said:

I just realized something: With the way the background is curved now, is this supposed to be implying that the ship is actually shaped like a battery? If so, I like it. 

Yo for real, I do like the curvature of the background. I found the original FBZ's background to be uninteresting, but there's some really good rotation going on here that does it for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Tenko said:

Ugh it really would take a miracle wouldn't it, I mean after seeing the wanted posters pop up again I pretty much knew the chances were slim. Christians exposition on Twitter wondering what the Hooligans had been up to in the Saloon to be on wanted posters however was great, as it gave some hope that the devs would potentially like to use said characters perhaps.

I expect Mania will do very well, amazingly well even. But it seems every opportunity where it would make perfect sense to include older characters, like Generations, or even the spin-off titles like All-Stars etc, and now even a full new classic themed game like Mania, come and go without their inclusion.

People do seem curious as they do get brought up, usually via fan Q&A's, even getting a lot of positive fan feedback like that vote in All-Stars Racing for example where Nack got a lot of votes in a much shorter time frame than the other potential DLC characters had for votes. But alas it's "maybe next time".

I can't be the only one that would lose their proverbial shit (in a good way) if Nack, Mighty or Ray etc showed up in a new classic themed title. Even if they arent "in" Mania I was perhaps hoping for an end game tease like 3K got at the end of Sonic 2 Remastered.

Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that not only does Mania do as well as I expect, but that it will pave the way for more classic titles to get the go ahead creating a new branch. Maybe then Tenko...maybe then...

Don't worry, it's pretty much a given at this present time Mania's going to be putting a big budget 3D Sonic game to shame.

At the PRESENT time, this MAY change.

So it won't take a miracle. All it will take is Whitehead and his team doing their thing while Sonic Team hangs their heads. lol

I'm looking forward to the future Mania will lead not only the franchise but the company and its directions with Sonic in general.

22 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm looking forward to the future Mania will lead not only the franchise but the company and its directions with Sonic in general.

Great, I totally look forward to a future with no 3D, no voices, no story, no dark stuff, no extra characters, nothing I like.

4 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

edit: Also something about Sonic's animation as he comes out of a drum seems... off. I'm not sure what it is exactly.

I think it's that both of his arms are behind his legs.

6 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Great, I totally look forward to a future with no 3D, no voices, no story, no dark stuff, no extra characters, nothing I like.

1) Taxman says he's a "friend to polys" as well as pixels. 

2) I dunno.

3) We haven't seen evidence of either or.

4) Agreed

5) This has Tails and Knuckles playable. Still better than Sola Sonica, genuinely lame one-off characters, and Baldy McNosehair.

• Thumbs Up 1

maniatease.png

Just going back to this... I was wondering if this could possibly be a theme park/circus-themed stage, looking at the red and white at the bottom and what might be a ferris wheel in the background. Perhaps the first and second acts would take place at day and night respectively. One of the Heavies could even be a magician and/or ring leader if that is indeed a top hat in their silhouette.

On 3/17/2017 at 2:01 PM, Marcello said:

Looks like a gear to me. Maybe a watermill.

Then again, if it is a watermill like Marcello suggested and those are clouds or mountains, perhaps a Mount Fuji-inspired zone is what we have here? It works as a Japan-inspired level if there is a ninja Heavy as speculated.

Image result for mt fuji oshino hakkai

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Actually, I think Mania is comfirmed to have a story, and if 3&K is anything to go off of, it will probably be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic Forces literally exists

Sonic Mania has a story, according to the devs... oh, and Sonic Forces literally exists

rU6FLZ5.png

I'll take "salty for no reason" for 1200, Alex

@Chris Knopps is probably referring to the direction of "quality and effort" and having a better focus. Sonic Team isn't going to stop their Modern line of Sonic games with Forces, Classic will have its own subseries along with Modern, there's literally no reason to act like it's the end of the world.

So YOU claim, but SEGA has a history of taking even the most minor positive thing and driving it to the ground due to only understanding it in the most superficial way possible. What the hell is stopping them from axing everything related to Modern Sonic and mindlessly pandering to overzealous nostalgia-submersed classic nutjobs and leaving the modern fans out of anything for good?