Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

4 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

So YOU claim, but SEGA has a history of taking even the most minor positive thing and driving it to the ground due to only understanding it in the most superficial way possible. What the hell is stopping them from axing everything related to Modern Sonic and mindlessly pandering to overzealous nostalgia-submersed classic nutjobs and leaving the modern fans out of anything for good?

I guess the recent series of bombs and lawsuits, maybe? 

6 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

So YOU claim, but SEGA has a history of taking even the most minor positive thing and driving it to the ground due to only understanding it in the most superficial way possible. What the hell is stopping them from axing everything related to Modern Sonic and mindlessly pandering to overzealous nostalgia-submersed classic nutjobs and leaving the modern fans out of anything for good?

Because superficial understandings and driving things into the ground is the backbone of modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

How about you panic about that when that appears to have a chance of happening?

I don't see this happening due to Mania alone existing. How modern Sonic fares going forward probably depends more on how much people like it compared to Forces and...well, people are gonna like what they're gonna like. 

• Thumbs Up 8

44 minutes ago, Josh said:

How about you panic about that when that appears to have a chance of happening?

I don't see this happening due to Mania alone existing. How modern Sonic fares going forward probably depends more on how much people like it compared to Forces and...well, people are gonna like what they're gonna like. 

Okay, I've calmed down a bit since 40 minutes ago.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic Forces literally exists

Sonic Mania has a story, according to the devs... oh, and Sonic Forces literally exists

rU6FLZ5.png

I'll take "salty for no reason" for 1200, Alex

@Chris Knopps is probably referring to the direction of "quality and effort" and having a better focus. Sonic Team isn't going to stop their Modern line of Sonic games with Forces, Classic will have its own subseries along with Modern, there's literally no reason to act like it's the end of the world.

Pretty much.

I also hope it inspires SEGA of Japan to follow suit with Sonic Team in the sense of replacing the old with new, fresh potential. There's so much youth and spunk coming from Aaron, Whitehead and their teams, while Sonic Team is...

Slowly grinding gears like a factory on its last leg....

• Thumbs Up 2

I could be wrong but we had years of modern gameplay even modern gameplay in games that wasn't even supposed to be geared to modern fans and hardly any new games classic fans would like. I don't want every single future Sonic game to be like Mania but throw some more games like these on the side and everyone is happy. I don't understand why the fear?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Miki said:

I could be wrong but we had years of modern gameplay even modern gameplay in games that wasn't even supposed to be geared to modern fans and hardly any new games classic fans would like. I don't want every single future Sonic game to be like Mania but throw some more games like these on the side and everyone is happy. I don't understand why the fear?

Mmm...

In my opinion there's no reason to fear losing any portion of the franchise, 2D or 3D, but rather positions/careers being at stake if the other side can't deliver. It's the people working at risk, not the franchise itself, at least I'd think anyways.

Both styles of game play will stick around. Those behind them is up for debate, likely why Iizuka is on the sidelines this time with the 06 director in the producer position of Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern Sonic will never go away. But it's going to take a while before they're completely comfortable with relying solely on him for a bit. That much seems pretty evident. Even with Mania existing, they sent in Classic Sonic to go hold Modern Sonic's hand while he tries to cross the street like he's a child who can't take care of himself.

But I feel comfortable remaining optimistic about a future where that isn't the case anymore. 

Hell, my dumbass still holds out hope that the other characters will be relevant again. I feel that dream is far more outlandish than any nightmare that says Modern Sonic will go away. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

Modern Sonic will never go away. But it's going to take a while before they're completely comfortable with relying solely on him for a bit. That much seems pretty evident. Even with Mania existing, they sent in Classic Sonic to go hold Modern Sonic's hand while he tries to cross the street like he's a child who can't take care of himself.

But I feel comfortable remaining optimistic about a future where that isn't the case anymore. 

Hell, my dumbass still holds out hope that the other characters will be relevant again. I feel that dream is far more outlandish than any nightmare that says Modern Sonic will go away. 

He will. Give us a few more years.

Then we'll have a new Modern Sonic.

BOOM was just a precursor of what's to come.

Won't the power sneaker be on the other foot then. No longer will comments like "overzealous nostalgia-submersed nutjobs" and "times change, so has the franchise get over it already" be delivered by them, but to them by the new fans attracted to the fresh new version of Sonic. Perhaps then what fans of the classic approach have felt since 1996 will dawn on them, and they will truely understand.

More on topic however, does anyone else feel it strange that Eggman hasn't really been brought up or shown at all yet. The suspense is clawing at my insides. The Hard-Boiled Heavies are a brilliant touch, and besides a screen grab we outside the press haven't even seen them in action either. I'm hoping it's because they have some really fancy dynamic wouldn't have been possible on the Mega Drive style boss fights planned and they simply dont want to spoil too much of the game before launch. But that makes me want to see at least one Eggman mech even more >.<;

21 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Won't the power sneaker be on the other foot then. No longer will comments like "overzealous nostalgia-submersed nutjobs" and "times change, so has the franchise get over it already" be delivered by them, but to them by the new fans attracted to the fresh new version of Sonic. Perhaps then what fans of the classic approach have felt since 1996 will dawn on them, and they will truely understand.

More on topic however, does anyone else feel it strange that Eggman hasn't really been brought up or shown at all yet. The suspense is clawing at my insides. The Hard-Boiled Heavies are a brilliant touch, and besides a screen grab we outside the press haven't even seen them in action either. I'm hoping it's because they have some really fancy dynamic wouldn't have been possible on the Mega Drive style boss fights planned and they simply dont want to spoil too much of the game before launch. But that makes me want to see at least one Eggman mech even more >.<;

Maybe it's another Heroes plot where the bots have betrayed/kidnapped him?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

About as good as it gets on that front. The size of it almost makes me think it's some kind of badnik, but there's the possibility that it's just not even in the game, but something one of their artists just whipped up.

Still, decent idea of what Robotnik will look like.

I had forgotten about that. Unless we are getting Emerald Hill for the Sonic 2 zone, which seems unlikely, that boss does seem out of place, and the single sprite sheet does make it look small. Like you suggest perhaps it's a badnik or some kind of set piece if that.

I was wondering if they would be going for more of a Sonic through 3K kind of style or more Sonic CD type style in design. The small differences between their sprites gives of a different feel.

15 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

About as good as it gets on that front. The size of it almost makes me think it's some kind of badnik, but there's the possibility that it's just not even in the game, but something one of their artists just whipped up.

Still, decent idea of what Robotnik will look like.

Either a badnik or something for kicks.

I doubt they'd make Eggman look that corny/stupid in the actual game. It's trying too hard to make him Mr. Comedy Relief, and if that has to stick around, just keep it in the 3D titles.

so guys, I have an idea for the new level teaser.

So let's say there are copyrights, and we won't be getting ice cap, they would put in a new snow level I would think.

so in the image we have what's looks like snow, blue bricks, and a yellow gear.

So an ice castle stage? Would explain the knight heavy, gears are found in castles, and blue bricks would fit this theme. (I'm sure there would be snow boarding too.)

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but Green Hill, Flying Battery and Aquatic Ruin were all in the Mania reveal trailer using footage from their respective games. Two of those zones are confirmed now, could ARZ be joining them? I hope so.

16 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but Green Hill, Flying Battery and Aquatic Ruin were all in the Mania reveal trailer using footage from their respective games. Two of those zones are confirmed now, could ARZ be joining them? I hope so.

While I don't hate ARZ, I would rather have Hydrocity and Mystic Cave

14 minutes ago, Zippo said:

bbfinale10.gif

Holy shit. 

Well, I like Aquatic Ruin so that's fine with me. Hope we don't miss out on Hydrocity cause of this though

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Did we find out if this was Flying Battery? 

maniatease.png

It's not, it's a brand new zone.

my theory is, if icecap isn't coming, it's an ice-castle theme, judging by the gear, blue bricks and snow. Would explain the knight heavy too.

1 minute ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I really hope it's not ARZ. There's so many better levels in Sonic 2. As in, all of them.

Yeah, I'd rather have Hydrocity for water and for Sonic 2, I need Mystic Cave lol

• Thumbs Up 1