Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

They could feature all the past special stages in Mania, with each one simply tied to their method of access in their respective games. Sonic 1's being end-goal "50 rings" rings, Sonic 2's being checkpoint rings, and Sonic 3&K's being the gold rings throughout the stage.

Would be sort of a letdown compared to getting a new special stage altogether, but better that than sticking with just one of the originals I guess... Though to be fair, I have yet to see an actually good idea for a special stage in a fan game, tbh...

11 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

In response to the "special stage is sonic 2 half-pipe" video.

Yall can chill now :)

taxmandaddy.PNG

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the earth hear his voice!

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the people rejoice!

(Seriously tho, strongly disliking Sonic 2 special stages + really looking forward to a brand new special stage = one unhappy MDS)

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank fuck.

Edit: Guess this means either the guy doesn't know what he saw, or this is some kind of bonus stage. Either way I still think there's probably three builds going around. Nick was pretty clear about hearing a different track for Green Hill, and it's not unlikely that the one we've seen was part of the Mirage Saloon build, but they weren't wanting to show it yet.

Double Edit: Stealth cleared up on Sonic Retro that the guy in the Easy Allies video doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. He confirmed that there's no Mania demo which showcases special stages or bonus stages. So that's that, I guess.

I wonder if the guy in that video played the Sonic 2 remaster and got profoundly confused.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, molul said:

It would be nice to ask Taxman if they're taking S3 and S&K separately or as one game for the reimagined zones count.

Taxman confirmed a while back (think it was on NeoGaf) that there will be a zone from Sonic 3 and S&K.

I'm hoping to see brand new special stages to be honest, I don't like the blue spheres and half pipes are kinda repetitive, so...

9 hours ago, Soni said:

@TimmiT just posted a link of a podcast where a guy saw Mania's special stages

and the only Special Stages the guy saw, were Sonic 2's.

And here comes the loud groans!

Taxman said we have not seen Sonic Mania special stages I'm pretty sure. All demos have not had the special rings filled in. And Taxman did confirm at least 1 stage from 3 and Knuckles, but I'm sure there is probably gonna be 2 from each game.

1 hour ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Taxman said we have not seen Sonic Mania special stages I'm pretty sure. All demos have not had the special rings filled in. And Taxman did confirm at least 1 stage from 3 and Knuckles, but I'm sure there is probably gonna be 2 from each game.

'Probably' based on what? If they do that, they would need to have two zones from CD to match the pattern, meaning a whopping 10 reimagined zones. Now that could happen (and I sure hope it does!), but 'probably'? No. Probably not.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, TailsBot said:

Taxman confirmed a while back (think it was on NeoGaf) that there will be a zone from Sonic 3 and S&K.

So... That means S3K is taken as one game, right? I mean, we're expecting 2 zones from each game (according to the "long game" that Mania is supposed to be), so one from S3 and one from S&K means they're treating it as just one game. Not the end of the world, but I'd prefer two zones from each :)

5 hours ago, molul said:

So... That means S3K is taken as one game, right? I mean, we're expecting 2 zones from each game (according to the "long game" that Mania is supposed to be), so one from S3 and one from S&K means they're treating it as just one game. Not the end of the world, but I'd prefer two zones from each :)

Mania's press release listed it as "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" as one whole game, which is what it should be. 3&K should never have been split in two XP

Two zones from Sonic 3 and S&K would be awesome, but seems a bit too much. Two reimagined stages from each game makes more sense. As 3&K is such a big game they could perhaps stretch it to three zones (Hydrocity, Ice Cap & Flying Battery would be my choices). Feels like a wonderful opportunity for Ice Cap in Mania to be the next zone straight after Flying Battery; Sonic snowboards at the start of Ice Cap using a make-shift door from the end of FB as per the original intended design of Sonic 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, andrew2 said:

'Probably' based on what? If they do that, they would need to have two zones from CD to match the pattern, meaning a whopping 10 reimagined zones. Now that could happen (and I sure hope it does!), but 'probably'? No. Probably not.

Because at least 5 new zones, so at least 6 old zones. Only having two from one game, like you said, would be un-even.

I doubt that they're too fussed about being uneven in game representation, especially since we don't know where the unevenness is going to end up; for instance, if it's two zones from Sonic 1 and one from everything else, which seems plausible, then that's not inexcusable.  From my perspective, it already looks highly unlikely that the returning zones will appear in chronological order, an objectively irrelevant fact which nonetheless bothers me, so I find it hard to be moved much further by other uneven zone distribution properties.

• Thumbs Up 2

The delay might be for a number of reasons, one could be to fine tune the Switch version and a possible physical release

13 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I doubt that they're too fussed about being uneven in game representation, especially since we don't know where the unevenness is going to end up; for instance, if it's two zones from Sonic 1 and one from everything else, which seems plausible, then that's not inexcusable.  From my perspective, it already looks highly unlikely that the returning zones will appear in chronological order, an objectively irrelevant fact which nonetheless bothers me, so I find it hard to be moved much further by other uneven zone distribution properties.

Since the game is telling a story, they couldn't go from, for example, Green Hill, then appear in stardust speedway to Hydrocity.  3&K style cutscenes, which are confirmed, this wouldn't make since. So I would expect levels from the same game (with the exception of something like flying battery because it's an airship) would appear near similar levels. However, the new zones are open to appear anywhere.

But, they could skip levels on the same island, or go to islands in different orders. Sonic and Tails could do a new level, and the Sonic 1 levels ( since the game starts on South Island) and then tails and sonic take the tornado to angel island. 

This also makes me wonder. The current locations are South Island, Westside Island, Angel Island, Little Planet, and maybe a new island? It would be a cool touch if we found out Mirage Salloon was actually a place in South Island we never went to in Sonic 1, or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Tenko said:

The Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles representation in Sonic Mania thing was answered quite a while ago on Neogaf by Taxman himself. I don't know why the question as to if they are being treated separate or not is still popping up and being debated.

You will get both.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=211224651&postcount=1660

I swear every couple weeks it gets brought up along with speculation that we'll get game gear stages. The Mania team has been pretty clear on this stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I swear every couple weeks it gets brought up along with speculation that we'll get game gear stages. The Mania team has been pretty clear on this stuff.

Game gear stages would not fit the tone  the game anyway, as Mania harpens back to the 16 bit days, plus the GG Sonic games were meh

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Since the game is telling a story, they couldn't go from, for example, Green Hill, then appear in stardust speedway to Hydrocity.  3&K style cutscenes, which are confirmed, this wouldn't make since. So I would expect levels from the same game (with the exception of something like flying battery because it's an airship) would appear near similar levels. However, the new zones are open to appear anywhere.

But, they could skip levels on the same island, or go to islands in different orders. Sonic and Tails could do a new level, and the Sonic 1 levels ( since the game starts on South Island) and then tails and sonic take the tornado to angel island. 

This also makes me wonder. The current locations are South Island, Westside Island, Angel Island, Little Planet, and maybe a new island? It would be a cool touch if we found out Mirage Salloon was actually a place in South Island we never went to in Sonic 1, or something like that.

Yes!  ^_^:)  I do think that a unique storyline that will unfold connecting the locations in simple (as you are saying, able to be explained through cutscenes) but exciting ways.  I partially wonder whether Little Planet will be part of the main game or postgame?   

Similarly if any of the locations are more significant to the plot than others, that may affect how many zones are present from that respective game!

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the delay is in response to the backlash on zone ratio, perhaps they're adding in another new zone or two?

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Yes!  ^_^:)  I do think that a unique storyline that will unfold connecting the locations in simple (as you are saying, able to be explained through cutscenes) but exciting ways.  I partially wonder whether Little Planet will be part of the main game or postgame?   

Similarly if any of the locations are more significant to the plot than others, that may affect how many zones are present from that respective game!

As much as I would love Little Planet to return, it seems as if that story is done with from what happened in Episode 2. Ironically, this feels more like Generations 2

4 minutes ago, Blue Speedster said:

As much as I would love Little Planet to return, it seems as if that story is done with from what happened in Episode 2. Ironically, this feels more like Generations 2

What happened in Episode 2 has yet to be resolved in any further game. Little Planet still has the seemingly abandoned Death Egg II attached to it.

3 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

What happened in Episode 2 has yet to be resolved in any further game. Little Planet still has the seemingly abandoned Death Egg II attached to it.

But my point was that the CD story is done. There would be no reason to go back to it. CD is my second favorite 2D game, but too much of a good thing can be stale

• Thumbs Up 1