Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

34 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

To clear up any confusion you seem to have about my job - no, I do not work for SEGA. Sorry to disappoint you. I get all of my intel from an oft-forgotten source called "common sense". PM and we can go over the details. Don't want to let all my secrets out in public, you know?

Hey, this really wasn't necessary. Especially since the point was already made just fine both in JezMM's post and the later part of your post without this provocative and insulting addition.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yep ^^^^ No need for that...

And "few months"? Again, do you work for SEGA? Summer goes from June to September. I say there's a pretty long time to add more zone(s), ESPECIALLY if they already began one and asked more time to finish, instead of scrap it to meet the initial Spring deadline.

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yep ^^^^ No need for that...

And "few months"? Again, do you work for SEGA? Summer goes from June to September. I say there's a pretty long time to add more zone(s), ESPECIALLY if they already began one and asked more time to finish, instead of scrap it to meet the initial Spring deadline.

It really isn't, not when generally the last few months of a project are entirely based around testing and polishing the final content.  They can't do that while adding new stuff at the same time.  Maybe one day we'll get some making of/insider info that confirms what was done during the delay but it would be unorthodox from the generally known production cycle of video games.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just truly believe a new zone can be proposed, aprooved, developed and tested in the course of 4 to 6 months. Same way you so realistically believe it can't. The thing that beats me is the fact that you've responded to the other member "NO. IT CAN'T" as an absolute truth, which none of us know for sure. I'm not going against any of yours and Jez arguments, tho. But that's what they are right now, just arguments, not facts. Try to be a bit more positive too. What if the creative team surprised SEGA with the propose of new zone (that they've worked on their own time) that wasn't inside the initial budget, but SEGA happened to really like and decided to bank it? That happens a lot in creative fields and agencies, believe!

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

Regarding "how many returning zones will we get?", if the game did have the current predicted minimum of 5 new, 6 old zones, my estimation would go to 1 from Sonic 1, 2 from Sonic 2, 1 from CD, 1 from Sonic 3 and 1 from Sonic & Knuckles.  Sonic 2 is the most popular game in the series, so it'd make sense to give it an extra one.

But I really am hoping for 2 zones from each... I'm kind of expecting only 1 from CD though since it's a significantly less popular game than the others and IF they include any time travel gimmick, it'd be weird to have that as a gimmick on two stages rather than just one (with that like, BEING the main shtick of that stage).  That'd make 9 old stages, and if we have at least 5 definite new ones for the hard-boiled heavies, plus a 6th "final stage" that either omits or reprises all of them for the penultimate boss etc... that'd make for an overall of 15 zones, which I think I'd be very satisfied with even if it's a more dramatic ratio of old to new than we initially predicted.

Yes! ^_^  I agree about two zones; it seems unlikely that where there is a basic but coherent story behind the locations being revisited, that visiting a location for one zone would resolve each part of the story without it seeming like it hadn't just started!  

Green Hill and Flying Battery as included zones are indicating this (though not with any certainty).  It would seem unlikely that South Island's part of the story would be resolved just by clearing the badniks and defeating the mini boss and Eggman. 

Then with regard to Flying Battery, it would seem unlikely that a single stop on Floating Island, either before or after, for a Sonic 3 zone, would somehow resolve what is happening there!

It's also of course a rare case where the higher hopes of the fan base could actually be guessed to be quite similar to the aspirations and interests of everyone creating the game! 

14 minutes ago, Jango said:

I just truly believe a new zone can be proposed, aprooved, developed and tested in the course of 4 to 6 months. Same way you so realistically believe it can't.

Except you are wrong. 

The only way it would be possibly is if the entire dev team immediately stopped work on whatever they were doing and immediately switched to making a new stage...

At the cost of the work they were doing.

And even then it's still wrong because contractually they wouldn't be paid for creating a new level and might even get the final build rejected.

• Thumbs Up 8

30 minutes ago, Jango said:

I just truly believe a new zone can be proposed, aprooved, developed and tested in the course of 4 to 6 months. Same way you so realistically believe it can't. The thing that beats me is the fact that you've responded to the other member "NO. IT CAN'T" as an absolute truth, which none of us know for sure. I'm not going against any of yours and Jez arguments, tho. But that's what they are right now, just arguments, not facts. Try to be a bit more positive too.

What's in the realms of possibility isn't the same as what's in the realms of feasibility. 

It's certainly "possible" that the game was delayed to add new content, but it's bloody well not likely when you try try to look at it more objectively than just throwing out all manner of random ideas with no foundation. 

Dunno why you think I'm not being positive though. I'm just also being realistic because don't like it when people set themselves up for disappointment by conjouring up wild and crazy ideas that stand virtually no chance of coming to fruition.

Oh hey, would you look at that. We've ended up in one of those silly little, topic-dominating arguments that will have everyone else rolling their eyes and/or laughing at our srs bsns about a Sonic game. Would you like to move on and let this topic get back to being about how Mania is the best thing ever? Cause I'm going to, and you're welcome to join me. 

17 minutes ago, Mayor D said:
30 minutes ago, Jango said:
I just truly believe a new zone can be proposed, aprooved, developed and tested in the course of 4 to 6 months. Same way you so realistically believe it can't.
Except you are wrong.

05d.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Again with the absolute truth posts. Could you try to be *more* obnoxious?

I'm gonna edit my post to avoid it being just a one liner.

I've worked on a design agency, for different clients doing different projects. And now and then, a big project would come around. As a creative team, we would always go beyond our clients' expectations. And sometimes, we would do it out of our regular work time/space, at night and weekends. Why? Passion. Because we truly believe that this project can be the best possible. And we do this over-time work to deliver it, even to the point of exhaustion sometimes.

I can't see why Sonic Mania is any different, as the team is all made up of people who loves Sonic and want to deliver the true classic experience.

7 minutes ago, Jango said:

Again with the absolute truth posts. Could you try to be *more* obnoxious?

I'm not seeing how any of that was obnoxious. He's just being correct. This is obnoxious:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Drumming up a new level from scratch won't happen in a few months time. Maybe if the game was delayed until October, maybe you could expect another full-blown level, maybe even two if one or both are remixed levels! But that's not something you tack-on with a few months dev time. Levels are planned out before the real work begins. This would've been ironed out during the conceptual phase of the game. It's one thing to be hopeful, it's another thing to be impractical.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, JezMM, Blue Blood, Josh and Indigo all have the right idea. The delay will be to iron-out bugs/glitches. Way too late to add a new level with the game being so close to it's now "Summer" release window.

The delay is well worth it of course. Having a bit more time to polish it up could mean the different between 9/10 or 10/10's review scores instead of 7 or 8's.

Make no mistake, Mania is gonna have a shit-ton of content; based on what they've shown, teased (the Blue-sphere special stages being added as a bonus feature perhaps) and the kind of additional content like time-attack mode & boss-rush we got in the mobile remasters. I'm confident Mania is gonna have at least 14 or 15 zones which feels like more than enough level content. One things for certain, Mania is gonna have a lot more content than the original classic games did.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've been trying to keep my expectations low and expect 8-10 zones but it could just as easily be more than that if they want to go all out. 

I've got my fingers crossed that they'll make new levels as dlc in the months after Mania's release. It'd be nice to see since that was such a missed opportunity when Generations came out, although I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll happen.

If they don't maybe they'll save whatever concepts didn't make the cut for a sequel. Here's hoping.

The funny thing is we still don't know how many levels there are so it's not like it'd make much difference to us on the recieving end lol.

• Thumbs Up 4

Guys they totally added 6 more levels, they musta really needed that extra 3 month delay!

• Thumbs Up 2

The delay being because they wanted to add in a new zone? Eh. I don't see it happening. Speaking of which, I keep forgetting that we've already seen Studiopolis Act 2 already, that is, at least a bit of it.sonic-mania-600x332.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The delay being because they wanted to add in a new zone? Eh. I don't see it happening. Speaking of which, I keep forgetting that we've already seen Studiopolis Act 2 already, that is, at least a bit of it.sonic-mania-600x332.jpg

We've seen it since the reveal, which means Studiopolis has been completely done for about 7 months now.

So what are you guys doing to cope with the wait for Sonic Mania? I went out and got this in the meantime:

20170324_155945.thumb.jpg.bb550fbee16d496029c7aee49a3d714b.jpg

I know you can get the rom free over at Sonic Retro but it feels so good being able to play this on an actual Genesis. Speaking of which I still need to get a usb adapter for a Genesis controller for when Mania comes out.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

So what are you guys doing to cope with the wait for Sonic Mania? I went out and got this in the meantime:

20170324_155945.thumb.jpg.bb550fbee16d496029c7aee49a3d714b.jpg

I know you can get the rom free over at Sonic Retro but it feels so good being able to play this on an actual Genesis. Speaking of which I still need to get a usb adapter for a Genesis controller for when Mania comes out.

Sonic 3 Complete is very special indeed!  It opens up what resolvable limits remained in the game.  To me it feels like, though maybe isn't in any logical way, one of several true predecessors to Mania, along with the remastered official games of course!! 

The peel out is really welcome in most of these zones.

Although it is uniquely improved; the programming/mechanics are different from Sonic CD in that if Sonic is on a slope and have enough upward momentum, it can be revved up, allowing interesting climbing possibilities for example in Marble Garden.  The appearance is as though Sonic has just been able to stop, but if he is on foot already, it would follow that he could quickly run in place very fast in order to hold on to the slope! 

Overall it just feels natural to sometimes build up a supercharged run rather than a spin, to soar through many of the zones' sequences of fast areas!  ^_^^_^   And that is only just one of the smallest edits among all that are included! 

In the unlikely scenario that a zone from Sonic 4 was reimagined for Sonic Mania, what zone would you like to see?

3 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

In the unlikely scenario that a zone from Sonic 4 was reimagined for Sonic Mania, what zone would you like to see?

why would anyone want a remake of a remake of a Sonic 1/2 stage when we could just put the original Sonic 1/2 stage in Mania instead

• Thumbs Up 9