Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I also think mania is just the beginning of a new classic sonic sub franchise, I mean just look at the sales of the Collectors Edition - most of them are completely sold out. If this is any indicator of future sales then mania is going to be amazing for sega.

• Thumbs Up 2

It'll all depend on Mania's sales and reception, plus Sega's own somewhat idiosyncratic inclinations, but theoretically the sky's the limit.  I don't necessarily think Mania's success would guarantee that any successor titles would retain the classics' visual style, though; there might be pressure to go full HD or even take a New Super Mario Bros. approach to the graphics (i.e. Sonic 4 but good).

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, FFWF said:

It'll all depend on Mania's sales and reception, plus Sega's own somewhat idiosyncratic inclinations, but theoretically the sky's the limit.  I don't necessarily think Mania's success would guarantee that any successor titles would retain the classics' visual style, though; there might be pressure to go full HD or even take a New Super Mario Bros. approach to the graphics (i.e. Sonic 4 but good).

It also depends on Forces, and given reception of that game so far, and reception of Mania combined, it makes me all the more certain Mania is the start of the future, which I have NO complaints about whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It also depends on Forces, and given reception of that game so far, and reception of Mania combined, it makes me all the more certain Mania is the start of the future, which I have NO complaints about whatsoever.

Oy vey,  not this competition shtick again,  please. 

And are you assuming that Forces' reception is actively BAD en masse again?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, TailsBot said:

There's no guarantee what-so-ever Mania will lead to more 2d classic games. Mania is a one-off celebration of 90's classic Sonic, nothing more. This is how Sonic Team/SEGA will see it. 

Is there a source for this? This is news to me. I have heard nothing of the sort. I even have it on good authority that Stealth said that he would be more than happy to make a Sonic Mania sequel.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Presently it can be argued so, but granted the future could change. We'll see.

But for now...

Mania = Good

Forces = Watch Out Samurai Jack

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

It's even funnier because the reception is based off of 40 seconds of incredibly basic footage. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

So,  overwhelmingly positive is your take?

miles-shrug%28d%29.gif

Okay.....

• Thumbs Up 3

Mania has a high chance of selling well, which means a high chance of a mania 2, and a Mania 3 & Knuckles. Even if they aren't planning on more classic games, people always change opinions. 

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

So,  overwhelmingly positive is your take?

miles-shrug%28d%29.gif

Okay.....

Don't you think that's a sketchy attempt at egging something on?

Anyhow, guess it's good for Mania no matter what. Even if Forces does have a hard time this year and potentially delivers a Lost World Round 2 scenario on us with its performance in the market/critics, we've still got Mania.

Something that I fail to see is what they could possibly have left to improve in Mania that would need such a delay, asides maybe that weird corkscrew thing that happens and a few clipping instances, but shouldn't that be repairable even with the former release date?

Plus, the closer they push the game to Forces launch, the more Forces will be overshadowed I feel when combined with the other games coming out during the holiday timetable.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

"As we move forward"

"show sequence of games from classic to modern"

"We're going back"

"show sequence of games from modern going back to classic"

"THIS IS WHERE IT BEGINS"

Is talking about Sonic Mania nothing else. 

I'm gonna laugh when we get more...

I'm laughing at you because your argument falls flat on it's face...again. You're talking rubbish. Please stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TailsBot said:

"show sequence of games from classic to modern"

"show sequence of games from modern going back to classic"

Is talking about the Sonic Mania nothing else. 

I'm laughing at you because your argument falls flat on it's face...again. You're talking rubbish. Please stop.

I suppose in the end we're both speaking on mere grounds of personal assumptions so with that in mind both of our ends of the argument are rubbish.

(Edit)

As far as what I've highlighted, a little less conceit would be nice my friend.

If Mania is a financial success, and if the developers and SEGA want to work together again on another Classic Sonic game, only then will we see a sequel of sorts. Personally? Yeah, I think it looks like Mania is going to be well-received and a sales success. It's always impossible for us fans to say for sure one way or another considering the lack of information we have, but it could happen.

These things are never planned out and set in stone ahead of time. Just look at at Forces and Sonic 4 Episode 3. Forces has Classic Sonic in it, despite Iizuka saying that there were "no plans" to use him again after Generations. The phrase "no plans" basically means "we've not made up our minds yet". And Sonic 4 Episode 3 was canned so early on that it probably never actually went into development, despite Taxman having been approached by SEGA to work on it. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Count me in the camp that thinks there's no immediate plans for a sequel, but if sales are really good, SEGA will see profitability in things like this and possibly put out more. Who knows how Forces will do, there's barely any information out there on it, so it hasn't been covered much. Even then I'd suspect a classic style game is going to catch media attention than an all new 3D title would, just given the track record Modern Sonic has had with critics. That doesn't mean Forces will do bad, just that it may feel as if people don't give a crap about it compared to Mania.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

Presently it can be argued so, but granted the future could change. We'll see.

But for now...

Mania = Good

So is it

Mania = Samurai Jack Seasons 1-4

Forces = Samurai Jack Season 5?

If Samurai Jack is now a metaphor for a great product then sure, I can accept this comparison. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting note I found, as of January of last year, Sega is still publicly denying Jackson's involvement in Sonic 3. Even though we all know that is complete and utter bullshit, I wonder how this public stance affects the Sonic 3 stage selection in Mania. My guess is they're going to avoid the latter 3 stages entirely. 

4 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Interesting note I found, as of January of last year, Sega is still publicly denying Jackson's involvement in Sonic 3. Even though we all know that is complete and utter bullshit, I wonder how this public stance affects the Sonic 3 stage selection in Mania. My guess is they're going to avoid the latter 3 stages entirely. 

I wonder if the real reason remains the whole "they didn't like the SEGA sound" thing or if it's ACTUALLY because of Jackson's...

...Er...

Legal issues in the later part of his life...

I mean... I think it's a risk of the later causing issues than the former.

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

It would be a real shame if they had to omit Carnival Night, Ice Cap or Launch Base from the game for that reason, but the only issues that have been raised from this were them having to replace the music tracks in those stages on an old PC port, but their ability to reuse them hasn't appeared to be an issue in literally every future port of the game. If these stages weren't present it would definitely not be for music licensing reasons.

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I wonder if the real reason remains the whole "they didn't like the SEGA sound" thing or if it's ACTUALLY because of Jackson's...

...Er...

Legal issues in the later part of his life...

I mean... I think it's a risk of the later causing issues than the former.

My impression  has always been a mixture of the two. The allegations around Jackson made SEGA wary of a partnership, and at the same time Jackson was displeased with the audio quality. It's very possible the split was mutual.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JezMM said:

Just to respond to this, just because Sonic was in Green Hill, it doesn't mean the Time Eater specifically interrupted Sonic 1, before Sonic met Tails.  Green Hill exists outside of Sonic 1's story, Sonic may just revisit it to clear out Eggman's patrols sometimes.  I mean he's revisiting it in Mania after all.

All zones exist out of the main games. Hell the bases in 06 technically still exist but doesn't mean sonic always rushed back to them

I wonder if Super Sonic will have any new abilities in this game. They may not want to bring back Hyper Sonic but if they wanted to they could give Super Sonic his air dash move.

maxresdefault.jpg

Also I'd love it if green eyez Super Sonic returned but he'll probably look like he does above basically.

Regarding the Sonic 3 music problem, I wouldn't be surprised if what eventually ends up happening will be for Sega to get Tee Lopes to make replacement music for all the contractually problematic tracks, making sure this time that the contracts are iron-clad and they can use the new music whenever they want.

13 hours ago, FFWF said:

Regarding the Sonic 3 music problem, I wouldn't be surprised if what eventually ends up happening will be for Sega to get Tee Lopes to make replacement music for all the contractually problematic tracks, making sure this time that the contracts are iron-clad and they can use the new music whenever they want.

I would rather they use the music from Sonic & Knuckles Collection. Seems like Sonic Team would rather not use the stages at all than use them without the true MJ involved music though.

29 minutes ago, SonicDude said:

I would rather they use the music from Sonic & Knuckles Collection. Seems like Sonic Team would rather not use the stages at all than use them without the true MJ involved music though.

Maybe Sonic and Knuckles Collection for one act and Lego Dimensions for the other? (Perhaps the existence of the Lego Dimensions music indicates that the S&K collection music is also off-limits?)

• Thumbs Up 1