Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

10 hours ago, FFWF said:

No, remixes are derivative works and you have to get permission from the original artist and pay them royalties or some other kind of fee, which is exactly the situation Sega clearly would rather avoid.  Same goes for sampling; if you don't get permission, it's an instant copyright violation.  To avoid the threat of legal action, any remix of the original S3 music would have to be so different ("transformative") as to essentially be unrecognisable (and even then they wouldn't be out of danger), at which point you might as well make a new song anyway.

Wow this stuff really is a mess. And all for songs that loop after a minute or less. Well if Flying Battery Zone being in Mania is any indication, Sega might have just mandated that they can't use any stages where the music is a problem.

At the very least, Carnival Night uses excerpts from the famous 'Entry of the Gladiators'.

It's a public domain track that everyone will have heard a number of times. Carnival Night in Lego Dimensions is therefore able to get away with also using parts of the song, which makes it sound instantly familiar to anyone who knows the Sonic 3 track, but manages to completely avoid any potential copyright issues. 

ah, see now that clears up a lot.

Thank you :)

Edit: Did anyone notice that on the sonic multimedia page they posted some image with a barcode (doesn't translate to anything useful as far as anyone has found there) but below it says "Display until: June 1st 2017". Speculate away?

Also, there was a post about Labyrinth Zone ("Now you hear the drowning music") and the tags below it talked about how drowning sucks, followed by "But that's why theres the bubble shield". The only place Labyrinth zone and a bubble shield could ever overlap is Sonic Mania.

Clues potentially confirming Labyrinth being in Sonic Mania?

DUDE. The Lego Dimensions tracks give me the worst case of anxiety ever! The melody is just about to sound the same as the original, BUT IT NEVER GETS THERE! This especially happens in the Carnival Night music. When I hear the "entry of the gladiators" part my brain expects the next part, but it never comes, it just keeps repeating. It's cruel.

2 hours ago, Gemster312 said:

Also, there was a post about Labyrinth Zone ("Now you hear the drowning music") and the tags below it talked about how drowning sucks, followed by "But that's why theres the bubble shield". The only place Labyrinth zone and a bubble shield could ever overlap is Sonic Mania.

Clues potentially confirming Labyrinth being in Sonic Mania?

Hmm!!  Well, Act 2 of Gemstone Garden from Stealth's Headcannon Game Engine project is partially based on Labyrinth and it is quite fantastic.  It can be seen in this video starting around 4:25

I am not sure how many direct tributes to this zone would be included but certainly there could be some foliage and completely new sections of the environment either higher or lower!  Labyrinth is in many ways the most elegant and mysterious zone between both Sonic 1 and 2; if they do decide to include it I can understand why, there is so much to appreciate about it!   I do understand why it is disliked too; but, surely the gameplay elements that make it at times rather unenticing to replay would be resolved prior to including it in Mania!

Also most likely Tee has heard the Labyrinth demo recording which includes some cues for the instrument sounds that couldn't be realized, that would make the zone feel quite different!  There are softer edges/filters and pitch effects on many of the sounds.  The marimba instrument is not as emphaszied instead playing in the background, and the bass is almost like a tuba! 

Also, definitely how the drums were planned to be really clear in the mix; the snare and hi hats sound particularly delightful!  Normally Labyrinth zone is not normally one you would think to air drumming along with, but this demo recording has that energy to them!

The Genesis version is classic in its own ways but there is a lot of unique potential in the original arrangement too!

and here I'm just hoping that they are treating Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles as separate entities and they will include Ice Cap Zone. I would love to hear an official remix of that stage 

31 minutes ago, LunarEdge said:

and here I'm just hoping that they are treating Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles as separate entities and they will include Ice Cap Zone. I would love to hear an official remix of that stage 

They said both halves will get representation. There's two ways you can take that though. Let's say hypothetically each game gets two zones. Either we get two from Sonic 3 and two from Knuckles, or we get one from 3 and one from Knuckles to make it even with the others.

I don't think it's out of the question that the Mania team could take on the challenge of "fixing" a zone which they like but which doesn't have the greatest gameplay; ditto, for instance, Wacky Workbench.  I would imagine that a remixed Hydrocity might be given elements of Labyrinth and Tidal Tempest, though... and vice-versa.

I really hope none of the "New Zones" are zones from their previous games that they have made.

I get it how that would be "New" to people who never played their previous titles, but they wouldn't be "New" to those who have.

Let's hope they got those creativity juices flowing!

On 3/29/2017 at 1:31 PM, Blue Blood said:

At the very least, Carnival Night uses excerpts from the famous 'Entry of the Gladiators'.

It's a public domain track that everyone will have heard a number of times. Carnival Night in Lego Dimensions is therefore able to get away with also using parts of the song, which makes it sound instantly familiar to anyone who knows the Sonic 3 track, but manages to completely avoid any potential copyright issues. 

Yeah this is the sort of thing I was referring to in my previous post. Its nice to see they developed some sort of workaround for Lego Dimensions so here's hoping we can see something similar to other remix tracks from Tee Lopes.

With the comparisons between Studiopolis and Mirage Saloons' music I've heard that Tee Lopes might have a leitmotif for his original music in Mania and though he doesn't seem to have used it with his remix of Green Hill I wonder if he would for other returning levels provided there's a leitmotif at all.

I was lurking around the social media of Christian Whitehead, Stealth, and PagodaWest to see if there was any additional information they may have written about.

Well somebody asked if this game would be able to be played at a 4:3 aspect ratio and Christian said yes.

Here's the posts:

58ddb45a3c4b0_SonicMania43.thumb.png.a7d9febdd0a450988e001c6f25d87ff9.png

So besides having a CRT filter option we will also have the option to play in 4:3.

We actually saw a glimpse of this aspect ratio back when they released the Collector's Edition commercial.

I thought it was rather peculiar that the HUD and Lives counter was closer to Sonic in that footage but with Christian confirming this option I no longer have to speculate on it.

4 minutes ago, molul said:

For me, there's no point on setting the game to 4:3. 16:9 works much better for a fast, horizontal scrolling game.

Much as I agree, the option never hurt anyone. A lot of games these days will force letterboxing on games when run on a 4:3 screen, so it's at least a good thing for them. 

I guess bosses will be like Sonic 2's bosses where the screen is locked but you can go a little to the left or right.  Kind of awkward for every boss in the game to be like that especially if there are any that stay in place on one side of the screen (and you're at a disadvantage if you can't see what animation they're doing to telegraph attacks etc), but, better the game is designed for widescreen with 4:3 as an option than otherwise I think.

1 minute ago, Soni said:

S. M. could mean a lot of things, we can't just assume that it's gonna be about Sonic Mania.

For all we could know, it could be the long awaited Sanic Mana or the "thought-to-be-cancelled" Sonic Misadventures fan project.

Be on your guard.

There's been one (and only one) other post with #S.M.

Dunno why i never thought it could stand for Sonic Mania...

That's interesting. Aaron does keep bringing up that they are hiding clues in these posts.

temp3.PNG

Just now, FReaK said:

Please dont forget that it's April fools tomorrow. 

Ah crap you're totally right.

Nice catch

49 minutes ago, Soni said:

S. M. could mean a lot of things, we can't just assume that it's gonna be about Sonic Mania.

For all we could know, it could be the long awaited Sanic Mana or the "thought-to-be-cancelled" Sonic Misadventures fan project.

Be on your guard.

I think it was April Fool's last year when we got this little surprise...

Spoiler

Image result for big's big the cat fishing adventure 3

Considering the full game was delayed a few months, perhaps we'll get more news tomorrow.

More Mania news of course is also welcome.

If they make an announcement trailer for a classic zone we really want (like Ice Cap or Hidrocity), with the saying: "available on.... Sonic 3!" at the end...

iwillfindyouaaronwebber.