Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Amy's gameplay looks good in the Sonic 3 hack. The same as Advance, but with the Super Peel Out. I'd love for her to be playable in Mania. The Classics each added a new playable character, so this adding Amy seems fitting.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, Knuggles said:

Does this mean Classic Sonic/Sonic Mania will become a sub-series from now on? If Sonic Boom: RoL can, why can't classic?

Think of it:

Sonic Mania (more simple and casual gameplay style)

Main Sonic (more speed-oriented, skilled, boost gameplay style)

Sonic Boom (cartoon tie-in

ROL didn't get a sequel. It just died. Shattered Crystal got a sequel.

Here's a hands on first impressions vid from George and myself, with footage courtesy of Neo Hazard with Bartman at the controls.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, molul said:

I don't like Amy because of the jump. A good way to use her in the game is to make a bonus stage (not the special stage) with her. 

Not a fan of that idea. If Amy is playable, she should not be restricted to bonus stages. Like @StaticMania suggested, it'd make more sense to have her optional, so anyone who doesn't want to play as her, doesn't have to.

The way I see it, Sonic would be the 'normal' mode. Tails would be 'easy' owing to flight-abilities. Knuckles would be between normal and easy. Amy would be 'hard'. They aren't labelled as such in any of the games, it's just the way I see them playing through the numerous games that feature them.

Amy should also be able to plow through obstacles that Knuckles can too with her hammer.

But yeah, Classic super adorable Amy shouldn't miss this out again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Her Jumping Hammer attack also acts as a psuedo-Instashield too. She's arguably the best character out of her, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles when you know how to use her properly.

• Thumbs Up 4

People really want Amy in this, huh? Retro forums are making similar requests. I hope it doesn't taint things too much.

Having looked at what they put in just their remakes of previous titles, I'm sure the team will put a LOT of awesome stuff into this project, but I'm not sure Amy will be one of them.

• Thumbs Up 5

Man the more gameplay I watch the more I just fall in love with the drop dash. It flows so smoothly it's perfect.

Stuff like this really makes me wonder where sega's been and how it's taken this long for a game like this. Oh well. Better late than never.

Also, I don't believe Amy will show up as a playable character at all, as much as I'd like her to be. Maybe if there's a sequel after they see how well this game will do they'll add her in. For now though, I don't realistically think it will happen. Hopefully it won't sour people's opinions of this game. There's obviously been a huge Sonic drought for such a long time, now that we actually have some footage of this new game I'm afraid people will start asking or expecting too much.

• Thumbs Up 2

I managed to catch the audience's reaction to Sonic Mania, much cheers for Heroes (lol), Classic Sonic and 3 Playable Characters:

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Apple Kid said:

now that we actually have some footage of this new game I'm afraid people will start asking or expecting too much.

We're Sonic fans, it's what we do!

Yeah, it's no big deal if Amy isn't playable, but it would be nice all the same. As long as I can play as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Sonic & Tails (AI) I'll be happy.

I'd also like to play as Sonic & Knuckles (AI), Tails & Sonic, Tails & Knuckles, Knuckles & Sonic and Knuckles and Tails. Also, how about Knuckles & Knuckles :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. Amy's no deal breaker. It's looks a good game with what we've already seen. The three characters we have should be good enough for most if not all people.

And as others have been saying - if a second game in this style does get made, then extra playables can be added.

Just now, E-122-Psi said:

People really want Amy in this, huh? Retro forums are making similar requests. I hope it doesn't taint things too much.

Having looked at what they put in just their remakes of previous titles, I'm sure the team will put a LOT of awesome stuff into this project, but I'm not sure Amy will be one of them.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure everyone is still looking forward to Mania, even if Amy won't be playable. Honestly, I think it says a lot about the game, that this is the one thing people want out of Sonic Mania.

Well, maybe Amy isn't in on release date because they focus on the stages design, but it shouldn't be very difficult to add her later in a patch. I mean, it's just a matter of drawing a new spriteset based on any of the characters, and change a bit her behaviour when jumping. 

Of course I wouldn't mind if she's in, as I could just not choose her. It's just that I never liked the way she plays.

Awesome live reaction to Sonic Mania trailer :D By the way, talking about reactions, I've seen a lot of youtube videos named "Reaction to Sonic Mania". Do people really care about someone's reaction to an announcement (or does the person who reacts think that people care about it)? Man, voyeurism is getting really high nowadays XD

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, molul said:

Awesome live reaction to Sonic Mania trailer :D By the way, talking about reactions, I've seen a lot of youtube videos named "Reaction to Sonic Mania". Do people really care about someone's reaction to an announcement (or does the person who reacts think that people care about it)? Man, voyeurism is getting really high nowadays XD

I like discussion and impressions, but a straight up "here's a guy at home watching it" is boring to me. I'm glad I could catch most of the reveal though, these are always fun to look back on and watch.

Just now, molul said:

Do people really care about someone's reaction to an announcement (or does the person who reacts think that people care about it)?

The answer is just "yes". Don't worry about it though, videos with actual thoughts and impressions are more common...sometimes apart of those "reactions". It's all good, mang

Well, to me it's actually wrong (I'm talking about the reaction videos). But hey, it's just one of many absurd things on the internet that people take as normal just because other people do it :) 

Not having Amy in this wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but it's not an unreasonable demand either. Surely it wouldn't be beyond the developers' abilities. XP It's just something that would be really cool to see, especially considering she's had fewer playable appearances than Tails & Knuckles despite technically being around longer than them.

2 hours ago, DarkRula said:

The way I see it, Sonic would be the 'normal' mode. Tails would be 'easy' owing to flight-abilities. Knuckles would be between normal and easy. Amy would be 'hard'. They aren't labelled as such in any of the games, it's just the way I see them playing through the numerous games that feature them.

I'd say Knuckles would be somewhere between normal and hard, due to his lower jump, which I assume will carry over into this game. After all, his campaign in Sonic [3] & Knuckles was essentially the hard mode of that game. Other than that though, yeah, that's pretty much how I see it too.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just listened to Studiopolis for the first time and... HOT DAMN it's amazing! As for the game. I'd like a 3DS port eventually since I have a 3DS.

Knuckles is sorta the 'anything goes' mode. He can be ridiculously easy or crazy hard depending on his weaknesses and strengths, especially when he gets his own modified route over the standard one. Compare Emerald Hill to Death Egg in Sonic 2 or Carnival Night to Launch Base in Sonic 3. You get lots of cool moves but gamble with difficulty.

I do hope they play on these balance of character advantages in Mania at least. We know Sonic will get shield abilities at least, I wonder if specific character routes will be made like mentioned above with Knuckles in Sonic 3K.

• Thumbs Up 5

I saw discussions speculating that Modern Sonic might be a secret character.

I kinda want that to be a thing now. He could play like how Sonic does in Megamix (which was made by Stealth), maybe with the Boost thrown in.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, molul said:

For me, it's all about the nature of a given reaction. I find reactions of things happening live particularly endearing, due to the surprise factor being in play. There's a genuine enthusiasm from people that's absent when someone reacts to something that's been circulating the internet for a while. Those are the type I'm not very fond of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just popping into this thread quickly to say that this announcement has really rekindled a lot of what I loved about the series. I am beyond excited for this which is such a good feeling after not feeling anything announced since I finished Generations.

Also I really enjoy the music so far haha! I can't wait for the soundtrack to this.

• Thumbs Up 1