Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Gah dang it! Sigh :(

tmp_8142-20170417_100206961344056.png

37 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

Can't wait to play Green Hill Zone reimagined in Sonic Legacies in 2021!

Seriously though, after the 30th I want them to move away from celebrating anniversaries every 5 years. It's just not conducive to establishing a non-celebratory canon series when every second main series game is an anniversary.

All companies  do this. Capcom. Namco. Tekken. Or Namco bandai.  they take pride in making it those years

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Gah dang it! Sigh :(imageproxy.php?img=&key=46c696365fb79b2f

tmp_8142-20170417_100206961344056.png

Multiple people have been reporting this around.

It is strange, as Amazon continues to say on their website that the release date is "August 31" as a placeholder for the end of "Summer".

Yet September 04 is after August 31.

I know technically Summer doesn't end until like September 22nd, but honestly i wonder if they truly are delaying it to the point of "5 months remaining"?

Additionally, the 4th of September is a Monday. Not a Tuesday oddly enough.

I wonder if the "4th" is just considered the very next business day POST-SUMMER (if you think of summer being June-August), to ensure they got a solid date?

I would take that date with a grain of salt :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I do have prime and some games I've gotten early thanks to it. I got mgsv on that Monday

On 04/16/2017 at 8:52 AM, TimmiT said:

While Sega Japan and Sega America used to have a pretty shitty relationship, there hasn't really been anything indicating that that's true today. If anything, it's likely that they're more working together now than they used to. After all, Sega America was turned into the centralized hub for the Sonic brand last year. And they have Takashi Iizuka and Kazuyuki Hoshino working there as well. Maybe they don't really do huge stuff outside of Sonic games anymore, but still if anything they have gotten more power over how Sonic stuff is handled in recent years.

Also, are you seriously just calling the Mania team a "random indie team"? I can easily believe the game being low budget, but it's pretty crazy to assume that they randomly happened to pick a team filled with Sonic community members with a history of developing really good Sonic fangames and romhacks. :V

One word pso2. In regards to shitty relationships

If the Hard-Boiled Heavies are kinda "doing their own thing" without clear instruction from Eggman, that's fine. I just hope they're not outright rebellious to Eggman because monsters, robots, etc. rebelling from Eggman's control is pretty much the most overdone plot point this series has to offer. Seriously, I'll scream bloody murder if that's the case.

• Thumbs Up 9

I hope Eggman's base in Mania, which hopefully will be brand new, is something that hasn't been done before in the classics. Like a castle, volcano or an underwater base.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Jango said:

I hope Eggman's base in Mania, which hopefully will be brand new, is something that hasn't been done before in the classics. Like a castle, volcano or an underwater base.

A super duper secret underwater volcano base.... IN SPACE!

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Famitsu article on Sonic Mania. Can someone translate this? 

https://s.famitsu.com/news/201704/17130789.html

Google Chrome can translate pages to English. It's not perfect, some errors, but for the most part it's readable. Try it out!

As for the final stage, I want something original (underwater base or volcano base would be neet) For the Sonic 1 stage, I would love Starlight Zone. Having a raining effect would be awesome. Just imagine running through a starry night sky city with rain. It would look beautiful in Sonic Mania's style.

Also, I have a idea for the story. Let's say Eggman, after his defeat in Sonic 3&K, finds an ancient weapon, and he needs to find the new item to repair it, and the master emerald/chaos emeralds to power it. Eggman sends Metal Sonic to steal the Master Emerald/Chaos Emeralds, which gets the attention of Knuckles. To make sure his plan works, he creates the hard boiled heavies, and, after seeing how useful a certain EggRobo was (S3&K one) made him the leader of them. Knuckles tells Sonic and Tails, and they begin their adventure to foil Eggmans plans.

if Knuckles does get tricked somehow (perhaps by seeing Metal Sonics blur) Maybe he will mess with Sonic somehow like in 3&K. His story would take place after Sonic's, and the heavy leader, after surviving his encounter with the blue blur, fixes Mecha sonic, and they go to steal the Master Emerald.

How do you guys think the plot will play out?

6 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

-It looks like they're thinking in terms of prepping for the 30th anniversary. 

It's more like heading in a good direction towards the 30th Anniversary. The interview was interresting, and it is not hard to figure out the gist of it I think.

So Sonic Mania started because neither Iizuka or Sega of America wanted to simply port the classics as it is is, but rather mix in something new in it. We probably already know this, but yeah, the Mania team would have likely wanted to all new stages.

It is called Mania because it is made by maniacs for maniacs. So I guess Sonic Retro are screw loose maniacs, or the broader gaming community who like Classic Sonic are that as well!

And like TimmiT was talking earlier, Iizuka and Hoshino are in the US again. However unlike in San Francisco, it is different in LA. I remember in San Francisco, Iizuka only had 12 developers or something to make SA2, Heroes and Shadow (and NiGHTS). Now he has no developers at all! I think most would agree that the "Iizuka brand" (if we wanna use Inafune slang) is practically meaningless. Sonic 4, Sonic Rivals, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Colors? No coherency at all most would agree. Whatever advice that Iizuka has for the Mania team would be useless I feel. However it is interresting that https://segaretro.org/Kazuyuki_Hoshino is overseeing the art design for Sonic Mania, which is probably better than Iizuka "design ideas".

• Thumbs Up 4

By the way guys, I never knew this, but Sonic 3 Remastered was gonna have the 2Player stages as full zones in 1 Player.

Now I really want Sonic 3 Remastered after Sonic Mania! 

I will say having Scrap Brain open-up into the ruins below MID-LEVEL... and going back and forth between them to provide a blend of underwater and mechanical base gameplay - would be very cool.  Especially if you had stuff from Scrap Brain having fallen down into the ruins etc, the little lamppost things electrifying pools of water etc.  If the Electric Shield could survive underwater, would make an interesting trade-off between choosing Bubble or Lightning shield - especially considering usually when a choice is given, it's between Fire and Lightning.  Would be a cool opportunity to provide some late-game challenging underwater gameplay too.

But I'd want that as the penultimate zone for an original climax location if so, not necessarily the final zone.

• Thumbs Up 5

they named it Sonic Mania because it means enthusiastic which fits the game perfectly. That and they might appear in Japan soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Miki said:

they named it Sonic Mania because it means enthusiastic which fits the game perfectly. That and they might appear in Japan soon. 

It kind of makes it seem like that Sonic games were not made with enthuasism before tough.

So if 3 remastered does end up coming, would you guys want the 2 Player stages to be built in the main game, or in a separate gamemode? Personally, I would want them to be in the main game, but you have to take a hidden path to find them (like in Sonic 2 remake)

Speaking of which, how would you guys feel if hidden paths lead to different bosses or zones to take in Mania? If not in Mania, maybe a Mania 2's main feature would be that some zones have hidden/alternate paths, which would lead to different bosses and zones, adding more replay ability. If you don't quite get what I mean, let me explain.

Lets say in Green hill, taking the normal path leads you to the normal boss and next zone, but if you take a hidden tunnel, it leads you to a different boss that is underground, which either takes you too a completely different zone, or a different starting area in the same next zone.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

Okay so Heavy WhateverHisNameIs came out kind of sort of shit. But instead of abandoning the whole thing because of that, here's the finished version of just Sonic as a consolation.

NECvOtx.png

That looks incredible! I hope it looks exactly like this! Great job!

20 minutes ago, ChikaBoing said:

It's more like heading in a good direction towards the 30th Anniversary. The interview was interresting, and it is not hard to figure out the gist of it I think.

So Sonic Mania started because neither Iizuka or Sega of America wanted to simply port the classics as it is is, but rather mix in something new in it. We probably already know this, but yeah, the Mania team would have likely wanted to all new stages.

It is called Mania because it is made by maniacs for maniacs. So I guess Sonic Retro are screw loose maniacs, or the broader gaming community who like Classic Sonic are that as well!

And like TimmiT was talking earlier, Iizuka and Hoshino are in the US again. However unlike in San Francisco, it is different than LA. I remember in San Francisco, Iizuka only had 12 developers or something to make SA2, Heroes and Shadow (and NiGHTS). Now he has no developers at all! I think most would agree that the "Iizuka brand" (if we wanna use Inafune slang) is practically meaningless. Sonic 4, Sonic Rivals, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Colors? No coherency at all most would agree. Whatever advice that Iizuka has for the Mania team would be useless I feel. However it is interresting that https://segaretro.org/Kazuyuki_Hoshino is overseeing the art design for Sonic Mania, which is probably better than Iizuka "design ideas".

Very interesting, it's cool to hear Sonic Team's perspective on Mania. 

27 minutes ago, ChikaBoing said:

This is kind of annoying. I'd have preferred ports of the old games and Mania being completely new.

Thanks for translating!

30 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

By the way guys, I never knew this, but Sonic 3 Remastered was gonna have the 2Player stages as full zones in 1 Player.

Now I really want Sonic 3 Remastered after Sonic Mania! 

Unless the original soundtracks in it is skip it. That pc mess was horrible

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Unless the original soundtracks in it is skip it. That pc mess was horrible

I personally grew up with the PC port, so I actually grew up hearing the "alternatives" to the music and still really love them (probably nostalgia's sake).

No doubt the Genesis ones are superior (by a LOT), I always feel bad that people down-talk the PC ones so much. They aren't as great as the Genesis ones, but they still are pretty catchy.

I hope if they bring in some of the zones with MJ-related music, they can find a loophole to use the Genesis version. Either way, I know Tee Lopes would find a fantastic way to make an alternative that will still rock!

26 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

So if 3 remastered does end up coming, would you guys want the 2 Player stages to be built in the main game, or in a separate gamemode? Personally, I would want them to be in the main game, but you have to take a hidden path to find them (like in Sonic 2 remake)

Speaking of which, how would you guys feel if hidden paths lead to different bosses or zones to take in Mania? If not in Mania, maybe a Mania 2's main feature would be that some zones have hidden/alternate paths, which would lead to different bosses and zones, adding more replay ability. If you don't quite get what I mean, let me explain.

Lets say in Green hill, taking the normal path leads you to the normal boss and next zone, but if you take a hidden tunnel, it leads you to a different boss that is underground, which either takes you too a completely different zone, or a different starting area in the same next zone.

To be honest I'm not the biggest fan.  It annoys me when I play Sonic 2 Mobile that I can't play through every zone in full within the main game - I have to choose whether I get to play Hidden Palace or the full length of Mystic Cave, can't do both.

Granted in the end my usual compromise is that I just play the game regular then after I finish, I play Hidden Palace as a bonus post-game stage in Time Attack mode, but eh.  I'd rather any secret levels be handled in a more straightforward manner, just personally.

7 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

I personally grew up with the PC port, so I actually grew up hearing the "alternatives" to the music and still really love them (probably nostalgia's sake).

No doubt the Genesis ones are superior (by a LOT), I always feel bad that people down-talk the PC ones so much. They aren't as great as the Genesis ones, but they still are pretty catchy.

I hope if they bring in some of the zones with MJ-related music, they can find a loophole to use the Genesis version. Either way, I know Tee Lopes would find a fantastic way to make an alternative that will still rock!

I feel for you. No the pc tracks were horrible.  If you grew up with them that explains some love but nearly anyone raised on sonic in the early 90s should raise hands for genesis tracks. Honestly if I could post ice cap pc vs genesis is cry I'd that butchering

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I feel for you. No the pc tracks were horrible.  If you grew up with them that explains some love but nearly anyone raised on sonic in the early 90s should raise hands for genesis tracks. Honestly if I could post ice cap pc vs genesis is cry I'd that butchering

I may be an outlier, but I actually like the PC carnival night more than the genesis one. I think icecap and launchbase on genesis are miles better though.

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

To be honest I'm not the biggest fan.  It annoys me when I play Sonic 2 Mobile that I can't play through every zone in full within the main game - I have to choose whether I get to play Hidden Palace or the full length of Mystic Cave, can't do both.

Granted in the end my usual compromise is that I just play the game regular then after I finish, I play Hidden Palace as a bonus post-game stage in Time Attack mode, but eh.  I'd rather any secret levels be handled in a more straightforward manner, just personally.

I agree, but what if the alternate paths were handled like just a separate path in the zone, with the boss and not having to skip it. For example, what if in Hydrocity, finding the hidden path would countinue in the stage, end at the boss, but instead of the water jetting you to Marble Garden, it would jet you into Azure Lake. From there, azure lake could either go into Marble garden to make the game longer, or transition into Carnival Night, and acting as an alternative to marble garden. What if there was a separate path in Marble Garden and Aqua lake that would take you too the alternate stage to Carnival Night? I think having these pathways, as long as they don't detract from the level they are found in, could be awesome, and add even more replay value and length.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I agree, but what if the alternate paths were handled like just a separate path in the zone, with the boss and not having to skip it. For example, what if in Hydrocity, finding the hidden path would countinue in the stage, end at the boss, but instead of the water jetting you to Marble Garden, it would jet you into Azure Lake. From there, azure lake could either go into Marble garden to make the game longer, or transition into Carnival Night, and acting as an alternative to marble garden. What if there was a separate path in Marble Garden and Aqua lake that would take you too the alternate stage to Carnival Night? I think having these pathways, as long as they don't detract from the level they are found in, could be awesome, and add even more replay value and length.

I don't know, I feel like it's overkill.
I personally prefer not to have too complex level progression, doing what you described would make the level order kind of a mess.

I'd be fine with making them mandatory stages, with an option to play the original campaign (only the original levels) or the extended one (the one that includes the multiplayer levels).

Man now I really want a Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered.
I'd love for them to make it and release a collection of all the classic remastered on consoles (especially with a retail form, I'd buy it in the time of an heartbeat).
Who knows if it'll ever happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love this guy and his enthusiasm. He's such a cool dude. He also retweeted the HBH animation. Pretty much leaves me with no doubt that these animations are legit and will definitely appear in Mania.

Also, the Sonic twitter account tweeted more CD animations <3

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

I can understand why Sonic Team wouldn't have wanted Hidden Palace to appear between two zones (such has Mystic Cave and Oil Ocean) so as not to break-up the flow of the original game, specially if Stealth & Taxman's version of HP turned out to be rubbish. Fortunately their version was excellent.

I think the placing of HP underneath the dreaded pit in Mystic Cave was inspired; turning the most hated pit out of all the classic games into the most loved pit was clever :D

When I play the mobile version of Sonic 2 I always play through Hidden Palace because 1) it's a really well designed fun stage and 2) ironically because the mobile version runs more smoothly this causes the spikes/rocks in the Mystic Cave zone Eggman boss to fall (from above) more quickly than in the original version of Sonic 2. As a result it's virtually impossible to avoid the spikes and avoid taking damage in the boss fight. It was the only thing in the mobile remaster which wasn't designed well.

Making extra zones optionally accessible in the main game certainly creates a unique experience but it's probably more sensible to make them just an unlockable extra (accessed via level select) after beating the game.

• Thumbs Up 6

The location of Hidden Palace was definitely an inspired choice no doubt, I just hate that toss-up it makes when playing through the whole game.  I kinda wish after beating Hidden Palace it spat you back out of the pit and you got to finish Mystic Cave, I guess.

I'd be fine with secret acts being straight up literally "hidden" in the same style if they did that.

• Thumbs Up 2