Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

28 minutes ago, Jango said:

@TailsMania Which surprise? :V The Hard Boiled dudes will most likely be a one off squad (like the robot master in Megaman) Eggman's built to slow down Sonic while he's doing... evil things. They're the bosses of Mania, the real surprise will be the fight against them, not THEM, got it? Speaking of Megaman, I can picture the intro of Mania being quite similar to Megaman 8's one. I'm okay with it, throw some j-pop and we're gold.

Image result for spoilers river song

Was Metal Sonic, Eggman or a badnik revealed in the opening cutscene of Sonic CD? No. Was Egg Robo or Mecha Sonic revealed at the start of 3&K? No. You don't need to reveal the bosses/characters at the beginning, especially with Mania having a simple story told similarly 3&K. Like I said it's nice to keep some things secret. The HBH's come later in the game not at the start, which is why they don't need to be in an opening scene. They should be a surpise. We know Eggman is the big bad so it would make sense for him to appear in an opening scene.

Assuming it is in the game, my bet would be part of an ending credits cinematic, like Sonic CD. It's short enough in length that you could have just that bit representing Mirage Saloon before moving on to another, similar to how the end credits to CD showed the Metal Sonic race, destroying badniks in other zones, etc.

For all we know, though, it could still be some fan project (though that's looking progressively less likely), or promotional material.

• Thumbs Up 2

My guess is that there is going to be a intro, ending, and reel of scenes during the credits, similar to CD. This seems to be something in the credits.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

The actual animator is fine. Max wasn't the main animator (possibly effects animator if the speculation I've seen holds weight), and he's been fired now. 

This comment is like fish and chips - it needs source ASAP

• Thumbs Up 5

Thinking about the waiting for Mania something really hit me that I didn't think about before.
This may be the first time in a long time that we don't have to be overly cautious with a Sonic game in what we want.

Remember when we thought that having CD cutscenes was something that likely wouldn't happen, and then this just happened?
When we were worried about the remaked zones, and thought that they were gonna be just the same as the original with little changes, then we saw that already Green Hill Act 2 is freaking awesome and that that is supposed to be the tamest one?
When it was unknown if Studiopolis was just a one off success at making a new classic Sonic stage feel good, then we were hit with Mirage Saloon (that imho looks even better)?

Really, awesomeness just doesn't stop coming with Sonic Mania and this is freaking exciting.

I think that for the first time in a long time in this franchise the new game has a lot of awesome news and even the bad ones come with a positive side, as opposed to having a lot of bad news with the good ones having a bad side.

For the first time I don't feel like I have to hold off in hoping for things, I don't have to think "yeah but probably Sonic Team would never do this because reasons" or stuff like that, really the only limitations I can think off are budget ones.

I really hope this spawns a series of sequels, this can't be a one-off thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

All that fish and chips need is salt

this is utterly wrong and you know it >:0

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I found the salt!

M8, the only salt here is the small pinch of salt I'm sprinkling on this delicious large portion of fish and chips with lashings and lashings of HP sauce. Yum.

(now, how about that new 2D Sonic game?)

• Thumbs Up 2

Do you guys think they'll reveal any Eggman boss fight before the launch of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to not do that.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

M8, the only salt here is the small pinch of salt I'm sprinkling on this delicious large portion of fish and chips with lashings and lashings of HP sauce. Yum.

(now, how about that new 2D Sonic game?)

If you'd said ketchup or even mayonnaise, I'd have maybe let it slide. But you put brown sauce on fish and chips? Are you even British, mate? Brown sauce is reserved exclusively for bacon sarnies, bacon baps, bacon batches and bacon butties.

Now with your grossly offensive tastes in fine English cuisine out of the way, let's get back to Mania. There's another UK listing for a physical release, and once again it's only the Switch version. 

http://www.graingergames.co.uk/consoles/nintendo-switch/sw27-sonic-mania

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Auroxen said:

Do you guys think they'll reveal any Eggman boss fight before the launch of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to not do that.

I think they may show of Green Hill Act 2 boss in May, maybe along with a release date 

• Thumbs Up 5

33 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I think they may show of Green Hill Act 2 boss in May, maybe along with a release date 

Sergio and Aaron were discussing it and saying it would be shown in a few months during the stream, which could be in May.  I think they are implying that the full zone will be playable at E3?  They sounded excited ^_^:)

It is possible that E3 may be running on the near-final build of the game which is indeed exciting; and would likely include the four revealed zones, maybe not each act, but certainly Flying Battery Act 1!  It is now less than two months away,  at the time of the stream it was exactly two months (Apr. 13th) so it won't feel like much of a long wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, expansivelovestories said:

Sergio and Aaron were discussing it and saying it would be shown in a few months during the stream, which could be in May.

Oh cool, didn't know that, so that answers my question!

I really want to see the sprites of Eggman in this game, he's one of my favorite characters design-wise and I wanna see how he looks with Mania's awesome sprite art.

I don't remember, did they ever talk about the Green Hill boss fight? Reveal any detail?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

The actual animator is fine. Max wasn't the main animator (possibly effects animator if the speculation I've seen holds weight), and he's been fired now. 

Receipts. 

50 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

If you'd said ketchup or even mayonnaise, I'd have maybe let it slide. But you put brown sauce on fish and chips? Are you even British, mate? Brown sauce is reserved exclusively for bacon sarnies, bacon baps, bacon batches and bacon butties.

f1100efc0829fde407fdfcb58b9175f7.jpg

Think again :V

Regarding the rumour, I ain't gonna believe it until I see a proper source and/or the actual animator guy says himself that he's been sacked (although I doubt that'd happen either way, since NDAs exist and all). Seeing as this looks pretty accidental he's probably been warned by higher-ups to not do anything like this again, but I doubt they'd go any further than that (unless the guy's done this a lot in the past, but I don't think that's the case here).

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Auroxen said:

Oh cool, didn't know that, so that answers my question!

I really want to see the sprites of Eggman in this game, he's one of my favorite characters design-wise and I wanna see how he looks with Mania's awesome sprite art.

I don't remember, did they ever talk about the Green Hill boss fight? Reveal any detail?

There have been one or two partial descriptions in articles written by authors who had been given the "press build" and were of course not blocked from playing through to the complete end of the act!  ^_^  I will try to find the articles again. 

Regarding the animation sequence, I wonder about that.  There is a lot of attention to Sonic's actual visual style in Mania in all of the artwork ingame and promotional and they are not using that style. 

The style and character of Sonic on the title screen looking and feeling completely different from one that would then appear perhaps in the credits would confuse at least some people who did not know the reference point with CD.  With Sonic CD it was different as well because that animation was so simple.  

I think it is possible that it is relating to a separate Sonic Mania based animated single or multiple episode series!

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

This makes it sound like they're throwing Iizuka away without throwing him completely out of the company...

Not that I would have a problem with a demotion at all...

I feel like Whitehead and his team would randomly burst out into laughter after every time Iizuka speaks and tries to give them advice, whenever he isn't around of course, at every chance they get.

"Hey guys, remember what Iizuka-San suggested earlier?"

Then the tears well up and the cheeks bulge before they fall out of chairs laughing.

It's more of a promotion for Iizuka. Before he was just a producer, but now he Vice President for Product Development in Sega of America. Then he was just producer.

23 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

The style and character of Sonic on the title screen looking and feeling completely different from one that would then appear perhaps in the credits would confuse at least some people who did not know the reference point with CD.  With Sonic CD it was different as well because that animation was so simple.

CD had the Japanese art style, the American art style, the Toei art style, the title screen art style, the in-game art style and the special screens art style.

In Mania, there's only the Japanese art style, (potentially) the Tyson Hesse art style, the title screen art style and the in-game art style. So if anything, Mania has the problem less than CD does.

• Thumbs Up 8

30 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

The style and character of Sonic on the title screen looking and feeling completely different from one that would then appear perhaps in the credits would confuse at least some people who did not know the reference point with CD. 

This game is primarily being made for the people who will get what they're going for, though. It makes perfect sense, innit. 

Also what Depression Kong said, aye

• Thumbs Up 2

So you're saying he made that animation AT Studio Yotta, and was probably asked by them to remove it, since he doesn't work with them anymore, but SEGA is still their active client (and obviously didn't wanted their project leaked). That means Studio Yotta are the ones making Mania's animations, but without Max if your thought is correct.