Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I'd be very surprised if Knuckles got a super form here. Saying that, if each act has 2 special stage rings, a seasoned player could get all the emeralds by the end of the second zone. This leads me to think this new item/McGuffin is going to be like the super emeralds from S3&K. We'll find out soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

IF we have Super Sonic playable, it's possible he won't be in the game period, or might be final boss only.

Edit

Thinking about it... The layout of stages in Sonic Mania really aren't built for Super Sonic so that gives me reason to doubt its availability. It's essentially CD just with stages from other games, and having Super Sonic in CD definitely doesn't seem like it would work so...

I dunno. The stages just don't look right for a super form.

Oh come on Chris, what you said is silly. You should know Super Sonic has always been unlockable in the classics after beating all special stages and it's confirmed Mania has special stages (chaos emeralds are not yet officially confirmed but there is a reference to them in Studiopolis-a small picture of chaos emeralds). Super Sonic is also extremely popular and as Mania is pretty much a sequel to 3&K it's guaranteed to be included. It's not hard to come to this conclusion. Do the math. 

You can see the chaos emeralds on the "EGG TV" posters:

Image result for Sonic Mania chaos emerald studiopolis act1 egg tv

Super Sonic being for final boss-only has no relevance to the classics and only became relevant from Adventure onward and more recently became unlockable through other means such as collecting all red star rings. If they made Super Sonic a final boss only for Mania there would be real backlash from the fanbase. The devs aren't stupid.

How can you say the stages in Mania aren't built for Super Sonic, lol! Green Hill is fast and fluid, Studiopolis is fast and fluid, Flying Battery is fast and flu- you can see where I'm going with this ;) Super Sonic is also insanely fast and is designed to make more slower stages (Mirage Saloon perhaps, which is still quite fluid in parts) a breeze.

Whilst it's true Mania is heavily influenced from Sonic CD (maybe slightly more than the other classics) its not a bad thing. Sonic CD's zones - despite having an emphasis on exploration - still allow for fast speed-fluidity throughout most of the stages and Super Sonic would work absolutely fine in them.

Fun fact: Super Sonic was considered for both Sonic CD and Knuckles & Chaotix before being removed (there's an unused Super Sonic sprite for Chaotix and an unused "S" item box in CD which includes faster speed and invincibility).

So yeah, Super Sonic will be in Mania. I look forward to going back to Green Hill Act 1 (using a completed save-file) and blasting through with dat Super Sanic!

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah I don't see how we wouldn't get Super Sonic. Mania is intended to build off Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so it would be extremely bizarre to ditch that mechanic. For that matter, the only area in which Mania seems mechanically regressive is that it will apparently lack the super emeralds.

Edit: If anything, it seems like Mania will be better at pacing out special stages too. They confirmed each act contains two warp rings, rather than the almost excessive amount of rings you could find in some Sonic 3 & Knuckles levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure we are gonna get super sonic playable in stages too. Hell, even Sonic 4 had that. I can see super knuckles returning too, as he didn't need to use the super emeralds. Not sure about Tails though.

Actually, some of the levels in Sonic 3&K had 2 in each act. I think Marble Garden, Mushroom Hill, and Carnival Night had a lot more though

13 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Question, was online multiplayer ever said to be a thing officially or not?

But when has online multiplayer ever been a thing for Sonic? Wouldn't get my hopes up.

6 hours ago, Solly said:

I'm personally expecting Super Sonic. We know the game has special stages, so unless the player is collecting something other than the Chaos Emeralds, I don't see why we wouldn't get him.  

Mania's level design also looks to be more in line with S3&K than CD, from what I've seen, but even if it were mostly molded after CD, I don't think that's a reason Super Sonic wouldn't work. He breaks the design of pretty much every level in all of the classic games, anyway. Platforming sections become too wonky, or skippable, because he accelerates so quickly, and jumps so high. Not to mention stuff like this

hqdefault.jpg

Plus Super Sonic's been in the past few games. Colors, Generations, Lost World. 90% sure he'll be in Mania, too. 

It's definitely a possibility, I'm just worried about how Super forms will perform in such cramped environments. All that speed and jump height doesn't seem like it would match well with the more clustered CD-esque environments. There are many passages, many walls, etc.

Not that I wouldn't like having him. I'm just worried about issues like clipping through the stage and such, which at the present is an issue even in Normal form but they have mentioned that will be corrected before launch and the whole backward corkscrew thing.

If they can include Super forms without it breaking the game, then certainly. However I do also remember them saying the goal is to collect some new type of item in the game if I'm not mistaken so the emeralds might be getting replaced with some plot-centric items.

21 minutes ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

But when has online multiplayer ever been a thing for Sonic? Wouldn't get my hopes up.

It's a thing in the mobile remasters of S2, as well as some of the crappier, older ports I believe. Heck, the mobile remaster expands upon it way beyond the original S2, letting you play every level (except Sky Chase and Death Egg) instead of just a select few. Taxman and Stealth took the time to fix issues such a Hill Top's earthquakes, Chemical Plant's water and Metropolis' vertical looping to make it possible. It's a commendable effort, really. We don't yet know if there'll be any multiplayer in Mania aside from the Sonic & Tails co-op, but if there is any then online seems plausible.

It's also a thing in S4E2, but we don't talk about that.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, I've never been much a fan of the classic Sonics, but one thing I do know about them is that Taxman and Stealth have taken good care of those remasters. So them having a bigger role in the game's development is definitely something to be looking forward to.

And hey, I liked Sonic 4. No shame in that. Image result for sonic thumbs up sprite gif

3 minutes ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

Well, I've never been much a fan of the classic Sonics, but one thing I do know about them is that Taxman and Stealth have taken good care of those remasters. So them having a bigger role in the game's development is definitely something to be looking forward to.

And hey, I liked Sonic 4. No shame in that. Image result for sonic thumbs up sprite gif

M6OuR.gif

Haters gonna hate as they say.

Though granted I enjoyed both episodes myself, but they did have issues. At least in Mania there's no physics issues to worry about, with any presently shown being fixed before launch.

It actually might be clipping issues causing the delay.

9 minutes ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

And hey, I liked Sonic 4. No shame in that. 

Yes.

Yes there absolutely is so.

... ;p 

11 minutes ago, FantasticMrRobb said:

And hey, I liked Sonic 4. No shame in that. 

We'll make you feel shame for that. Just give us time. 

Part of me still wants Mania to be renamed "Sonic 4 As You Truly Imagined It".

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Blue Blood said:

We'll make you feel shame for that. Just give us time. 

Presenting to you, Sonic Mania!! The Episode 3 you never imagined. The finale you thought we forgot. Find out what happened to the Death Egg soon!

SEGA, we leave no stone un-turned, no plot left behind.

(Last part in an insanely deep and edgy voice)

• Thumbs Up 1

If you think about it in sure everyone has a sonic game they hate. Some it's 06. For me it's the episode series others it's labyrinth.  But I'm giving lots of hope to mania even if SS is hopefully in it

34 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Who know? Maybe something like that will be a tagline when the game is released, lol.

Back onto the topic of Super Sonic being in Sonic Mania, if the Chaos Emeralds are in this game I hope they remember that after S3&K it became the staple norm for the Chaos Emeralds to retain their Super Emerald form throughout the rest of the franchise, albeit on a smaller scale.

Would bring some continuity issues into question if the Chaos Emeralds go back to how they looked pre-S3&K.

I'd love a story on where they came from and just how powerful they are. I've always wanted to learn more about them

Hate to jump off topic but...

Does anyone else think Sonic Mania is a reboot of the original Sonic timeline, due to Sonic returning to his now "altered" timeline thanks to Generations?

Or... ya know, something along those lines.

South Island, West Side Island, and Angel Island all used to be one big continent on the sea. Then, following the errors of an ancient race, calamity truck and split the continent apart, sending one island into the sky, one forever adrift across the sea, and one remaining in place where the original continent once was.

...Yep, that's my head canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

South Island, West Side Island, and Angel Island all used to be one big continent on the sea. Then, following the errors of an ancient race, calamity truck and split the continent apart, sending one island into the sky, one forever adrift across the sea, and one remaining in place where the original continent once was.

...Yep, that's my head canon.

But what if there are more islands?

Eastwatch Islands? Northtop Islands?

Just now, Psychicmoose103 said:

But what if there are more islands?

Eastwatch Islands? Northtop Islands?

Then there are more islands, simple as that. The continent was just much bigger then.

Kind of like the ol' tale of how the world split apart but was once one super-massive continent.

I never said my head canon was perfect. lol

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

More from the Famitsu interview.

The gist; 

"On the developing process: The dev team, SOA producer and Iizuka are constantly in contact. The dev team brings up the concept first in texts, then Iizuka corrects them. The dev team then designs the levels based on this correction, and Iizuka looks at it again to add adjustments to such as the places to place rings, the terrain shape etc."

"There was no discrepancy between my idea and theirs. On the contrary, since all of the dev team members are the mania of manias, they really know the points well. Creating 2D Sonic’s map requires a lot of skills, but to my surprise, they create good maps since they know the past games so well.”

More in the Twitter thread. 

Ehhhhh...

Not too sure how I feel about Mr. iizuka having so much influence on the stage design/layout stuff...

But... Just don't make stages too much of a cluster f@$k and I'm happy I suppose...