Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

It didn't? O.o But it does flashes when you enter the water, right? I guess the 'killing nearby badniks' part was from some fangame I've played ^^' Oops.

One idea I also saw in a fangame, was the ability to dive into a lava lake, when wearing the fire shield. I thought that was pretty cool. And if a level has an electrified lake, same rules could be applied.

Edited by Jango

the water simply flashes when you enter it. maybe thats one of the things they still have to implement, but i'm sure that'll be adressed.

I've noticed there is a glitch in the game where, if you have the Electric Shield in Green Hill Zone the ocean/lake in the background flashes the same way the shield does for some reason.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:37 AM, VEDJ-F said:

The interviewer mentioned seeing an Espio poster, but I don't think anyone has seen one present yet so I don't know if they were mistaken or not. If they were right, I could see Vector and Charmy getting similar cameos. If not, I can see them justifying the Chaotix not getting cameos due to their modern counterparts existing. In either situation, Mighty (and Ray) could still get cameos. 

But definitely no cameos that have the characters present in-game; as the snippet said, they're not part of the Classic Sonic series, so they wouldn't even be eligible for it. Most old games were omitted from it.  

Metal Sonic and Mecha Sonic could because they are in the relevant titles, it's just a matter of whether they would due to the emphasis on the Hard Boiled Heavies. 

Alright, so does that mean we could get cameos of modern characters or those from adaptations in addition to the ex-classic characters? And what will become of the Hard Boiled Heavies after this?

51 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

Alright, so does that mean we could get cameos of modern characters or those from adaptations in addition to the ex-classic characters? And what will become of the Hard Boiled Heavies after this?

I hope the Hard Boiled Heavies are either in a Mania sequel, or something else, because I really love their design and the concept of them.

I know that the "thunder shield hitting water forcing underwater badniks to go 'splodey" myth isn't true, but having seen the fire shield have new elemental properties with the environment (burning that blasted spike log), I would actually love to see that sort of reaction implemented for Mania.

On that note... what are some other environmental effects you can think of for any of the three main shields? One weird thing from Sonic R that I liked was how the bubble shield's tension would let Sonic walk on water, and while that would nullify the point of it's underwater air properties, maybe there are other surfaces (like oil or sand?) that Sonic could walk over while possessing that shield?

And speaking of oil, now I kind of want Oil Ocean or Chemical Plant to return... imagine keeping that fire shield and walking over oil or a mixture of chemicals... causing an explos- actually nevermind that could cause a problem... OOOH UNINTENTIONAL STAGE HAZARD DESIGN! doitdoitdoit

• Thumbs Up 2

The bubble shield could get rid of traction on sand...guessing...and make you move faster underwater.

Faster to normal speed, yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

The bubble shield could get rid of traction on sand...guessing...and make you move faster underwater.

Faster to normal speed, yes.

Making the bubble shield be able to run fast under water, breath under water, and bounce off of water would make it so good for any stage with it.

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I know that the "thunder shield hitting water forcing underwater badniks to go 'splodey" myth isn't true, but having seen the fire shield have new elemental properties with the environment (burning that blasted spike log), I would actually love to see that sort of reaction implemented for Mania.

On that note... what are some other environmental effects you can think of for any of the three main shields?

Well we already know the lightning shield does have an environmental property in Flying Battery, in that it magnetizes you to the electrical ceilings. I'd say there's a good chance the water shield will interact with something in another level too.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

I hope the Hard Boiled Heavies are either in a Mania sequel, or something else, because I really love their design and the concept of them.

Hard Boiled Heavies for ASR3? If it wasn't for the fact Mecha Sonic destroyed that Egg Robo that harassed Knux all the way through Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I would have loved some kind of reveal that the Hard Boiled King (Emperor, Commander, General, whatever he ends up being) was made from the parts of that original Egg Robo making use of all the data he had gathered etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if the Hard Boiled Heavies don't betray Eggman, but instead follow flawed programming which leads them to turn Eggman into a badnik out of respect?

Eggman could be the final boss of the game but still need rescuing from the Heavies.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was thinking earlier how cool it'd be if the collectors edition came with the game manual. Like one of the ones from the Genesis games, where they explained what was going on in all the zones, the story up until before the game began, and named all the badniks.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I was thinking earlier how cool it'd be if the collectors edition came with the game manual. Like one of the ones from the Genesis games, where they explained what was going on in all the zones, the story up until before the game began, and named all the badniks.

The other thing I want from the manual is those sketches of Sonic and Tails interacting with the zones as seen in the Japanese manuals.

Here's one example:

58fcd81b352d1_Sonic2JPNManualSketches.thumb.jpg.722cdb50dd2072582ef094a80dc0c5e6.jpg

I really love how colorful and full of sketches the Japanese manuals are. There so good that I tend to take a look at them from time to time just to admire the art. It really shows how much care was given to something like the manual from what I'm seeing. Compare it to the US or European manuals were they were just simple and in black and white.

If they won't give us a physical manual I'm at least hoping there will be a digital manual within the game that contains some similar looking sketches.

I also just found out that it was Hirokazu Yasuhara that drew them:

I loved how he drew Sonic,Tails (Miles), and Knuckles:

58fce0dde6603_SonicTailsKnucklesSketches.jpg.6d4cee1bc8657c90803322749708a233.jpg

As a bonus here's a picture of a long board Yasuhara signed on back in February of 2016 with the sketch characters:

• Thumbs Up 8

I kind of love the idea of the lightning shield still being lost when you jump into the water, but it destroys all the on-screen badniks within the pool upon doing so.  Could add a little something to the decision process to sacrifice a lightning shield to dive into the drink during the moments where it's not the only path forward.

EDIT: Oh also, I've always wanted water surface skimming from the 8-bit games (most notably Sonic 2) to return.  Making that a bubble shield mechanic could work if making it a permanent part of Sonic's moveset would be considered too detrimental to general level design etc.

You're absolutely right man, I would love the return of water skimming like in the 8-bit Sonic 2, I think there's a whole zone dedicated to this mechanic, Aqua Lake, right? That mechanic was actually considered for the very first Sonic, you can see it in some old concept arts.

It would be quite unusual for there to not be a manual!!   Maybe it will be available universally through the Sonic Mania website?  Yet that seems a bit tangential; it must be directly connected to the game somehow.

I am not sure that a full manual would appear on screen via a menu selection; but. certainly a series of quick info screens is possibly going to be in the menu somewhere. 

Well, Taxman don't usually plays the "find the hidden meaning in my post" game like Aaron, so I guess the Death Egg is dead for good this time. Which I'm fine with, TBH.

Barf. I thought the Death Egg was the strongest final level out of the classic games. Of course, it's not too much of a surprise. Everything lead to the Death Egg in Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles, even in Sonic 4. It's not only overplayed, but it would be odd to visit it when we'll almost certainly get an all new level for the finale.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Well, Taxman don't usually plays the "find the hidden meaning in my post" game like Aaron, so I guess the Death Egg is dead for good this time. Which I'm fine with, TBH.

I agree with the first half, but for that reason I'd say we can't even draw the conclusion of the 2nd half.  Literally until further notice we can only take it as a joke response.  After all if you wanted to you could interpret it as "sure all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't... but Eggman could".

14 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I feel like doing some math. Let's find out how long Sonic Mania could be.

Here's what we know. 

- Sonic Mania will be longer/bigger than Sonic Generation

*puts calculator away*

That's all I got for today.

*Fixed ;)

In all seriousness though, this theory of yours is really good, but only if 1 detail is true: The comparison of game length between Sonic Mania and Sonic Generations is purely based off of ZONE COUNT.

They claimed that Sonic Mania is longer than Sonic Generations, but people often mis-read that as "Sonic Mania will have more zones than Sonic Generations"

Although it is very possible, I believe they were referring to game length via TIME. Like, how long the experience is.

If Sonic Generations can be beat in approximately 2 hours on average, Sonic Mania could take 3 hours to beat (but does NOT necessarily mean its zone count has to be larger).

Also, I think calling "boss stages" as actual levels inside of Sonic Generations is just trying to squeeze that number higher. 9 zones, 2 acts per zone = 18 acts.

Yes technically the bosses occur in a "separate level", but for being a quick like 2 minute battle that really takes place in a very caged limited space, i don't think that should count as a "whole level" towards your act counter.

I really wish we could get clarification whether the Sonic Generations comparison was zone count, playtime length, or general experience (as Sonic Mania will have a plethora of replayability thanks to the multiple characters).

4 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Barf. I thought the Death Egg was the strongest final level out of the classic games. Of course, it's not too much of a surprise. Everything lead to the Death Egg in Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles, even in Sonic 4. It's not only overplayed, but it would be odd to visit it when we'll almost certainly get an all new level for the finale.

Yeah, agreed. DE is an awesome final level in S&K and at the very least I hope the final zone/Eggman base in Mania can live up to DE.

To be honest I'd prefer Mania's story to not include Death Egg or Doomsday zone. It's been done to death. Countless Sonic games have copied the Super Sonic in space formula and DE appeared in Gens & Sonic 4. Hell, even Sonic 2 to S&K is nicknamed the "Death Egg Saga". A reference to DE would be nice but I want Mania to climb out of DE's shadow. Lets have an original story which a unique climax. Afterall not every classic game ends in space.

6 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

What could this mean?

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again

I'm sure Taxman was just teasing/having a bit of fun. Of course you could interpret this as; Death Egg was too damaged to be put back together so Eggman has decided to build an even better one which he will name:

Spoiler

"DEATH EGG MKIII & KNUCKLES

...well, the name Death Egg MKII is already taken :P

The Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme makes me think of Egg Robo. Perhaps Egg-Robo was too broken to be put back together so Eggman decided to make even better versions, hence the HARD BOILED HEAVIES! 

jTEB-XPFXILA4gw9jcqoLLH_EGuZPnGI210ZQrzK

• Thumbs Up 5